Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Stop needlessly exposing yourself and others, Jesus Christ. I'd say it's not that difficult but we're in month 6 of this stupid bullshit because people can't just SIT loving STILL.

Don't go to the movies during a pandemic, goddamn, why does this need to be stated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still don't see how it's wrong to sit in a 200 seat theater and watch a movie with six other people who are far away from you and everybody's masked. I believe the virus is real I believe we need to isolate and kill this loving thing but come the gently caress on.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Don't be in crowds. Don't go to a sellout show. Don't be around large groups. But you can see a barely attended afternoon matinee with the proper protective equipment.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Len posted:

How have you all been going shopping? Do you just gig economy your groceries?

A) yes I try to

B) my grocery runs don't involve sitting around other people for two hours

C) food and poo poo is more important than a low-tier Nolan movie?????

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

honestly the biggest unknown for me is the HVAC systems in the theaters. They have them running constantly (especially in the summer) and since you're in the room for two hours straight I would almost say that you should assume that if anyone in that room has COVID, you're definitely going to be exposed to it for a good amount of time. You're not going to get it from the soft drink station or the poor employee who is getting paid minimum wage to deal with entirely too much poo poo but I hope you trust the people who are in that room with you because you're putting your health in their hands for a few hours.

if you're truly in an IMAX theater with like, hundreds of seats and there's only 4 of you and you've each got your own 50-seat square to yourself you might be alright but oh man if that's really what is happening (and all of the stories coming out about Tenet and WW84 getting pushed further back seem to confirm that it is), the theaters are probably gonna keep hemorrhaging money even if they stay open

edit: one of my ,movie theater friends moved to a bigger city and got a job at a reopening theater and his job is entirely just cleaning theaters with like, a full protective suit and spray-sanitizer wand. It's sort of funny given what we now know about transmission, it's basically public safety theatre (no pun intended) to convince people its safe when if they do catch it at the theater it's not gonna be because the seats didn't get sprayed down

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 14, 2020

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Don't be in crowds. Don't go to a sellout show. Don't be around large groups. But you can see a barely attended afternoon matinee with the proper protective equipment.

This isn’t about everyone being masked up and properly spaced and feeling relatively safe.

You’re taking advantage of other people doing the right thing to partake in an activity that 1) would be dangerous if everyone also partook in it during a pandemic and 2) undermining the community’s resolve to minimize the spread of the virus.

Because it only takes one or a couple of assholes to start a chain reaction of “well if he’s going to do it, what’s the point of me sacrificing what I want” in a community.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i thought it's possible for americans to rent a whole screen for less than US$200 and watch it with 20+ people? Just organize and do that and make sure nobody kisses (which should be easy since there's zero romance in the film)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Thwomp posted:

This isn’t about everyone being masked up and properly spaced and feeling relatively safe.

You’re taking advantage of other people doing the right thing to partake in an activity that 1) would be dangerous if everyone also partook in it during a pandemic and 2) undermining the community’s resolve to minimize the spread of the virus.

Because it only takes one or a couple of assholes to start a chain reaction of “well if he’s going to do it, what’s the point of me sacrificing what I want” in a community.
I refuse to have some bullshit Catholic guilt over my choice to see a sparsely attended afternoon show because I'm setting a bad example. We all make our own choices.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but it affects other people. That’s the problem. If you get sick, bunch of other people get sick and bam.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I refuse to have some bullshit Catholic guilt over my choice to see a sparsely attended afternoon show because I'm setting a bad example. We all make our own choices.

Next you're going to say that this virus is "overblown."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah but it affects other people. That’s the problem. If you get sick, bunch of other people get sick and bam.

That's why I distance, mask up, and use common sense.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Next you're going to say that this virus is "overblown."

As a historian, I'm waiting for the book that comes out 10-20 years from now which conclusively proves the virus actually killed 3-5x as many people.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
And as a movie goer, you can help it kill that many people.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This thread is making me super optimistic about the possibility that 2021 is going to be better than this year :shepicide:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

That's why I use common sense.

You quite clearly don't though

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The common sense is to stay out of movie theatres, as evidenced by the fact that the buildings are empty and Tenet is a bomb.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

As a historian, I'm waiting for the book that comes out 10-20 years from now which conclusively proves the virus actually killed 3-5x as many people.

So you’ll be believe this but then say:

You’re potentially exposing yourself to a virus with a fatality rate around 1%? To say nothing of contracting it and spreading it around your personal bubble. Even with protections/precautions, it’s not foolproof.

You’re being selfish. We all have to do our part. Individual choices contribute to the greater community’s health and you are actively making your community worse off.

Congrats, you saw Tenet. Please don’t go to a theater again.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Hearing protection, gotcha

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A moviegoer can see a movie if they fully accept in their heart that the virus is real, the virus is serious, the virus is dangerous, and that conditions require some dramatic steps to be taken for safety. If you consider that to be equivalent to standing on the shoulder by the side of a busy highway with a hand lettered sign that says "SPIT IN MY MOUTH: FREE!" Then yes you are absolutely a joyless scold.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

its not about you

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

A moviegoer can see a movie if they fully accept in their heart that the virus is real, the virus is serious, the virus is dangerous, and that conditions require some dramatic steps to be taken for safety. If you consider that to be equivalent to standing on the shoulder by the side of a busy highway with a hand lettered sign that says "SPIT IN MY MOUTH: FREE!" Then yes you are absolutely a joyless scold.

The problem is that nobody here is quite convinced you know what you are really talking about when you mention things like "dramatic steps". Like, are you quarantining 14 days after having seen the movie? Because it sounds like you are just doing the basic poo poo you should be doing anyways, after sitting in a room with poor ventilation for two+ hours.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You are far far safer standing close to someone in the open air than sitting spaced out in a large room with poor (or poorly scrubbed) circulation for an extended period of time.

DC Murderverse posted:

honestly the biggest unknown for me is the HVAC systems in the theaters. They have them running constantly (especially in the summer) and since you're in the room for two hours straight I would almost say that you should assume that if anyone in that room has COVID, you're definitely going to be exposed to it for a good amount of time. You're not going to get it from the soft drink station or the poor employee who is getting paid minimum wage to deal with entirely too much poo poo but I hope you trust the people who are in that room with you because you're putting your health in their hands for a few hours.

This is the thing. The virus is airborne. It doesn't mean much that you're sitting in a large room with only nine other people at a distance if everyone who goes in there is breathing out for two and a half hours each, and the re-circulated air isn't being scrubbed for the virus.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 14, 2020

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Grendels Dad posted:

The problem is that nobody here is quite convinced you know what you are really talking about when you mention things like "dramatic steps". Like, are you quarantining 14 days after having seen the movie? Because it sounds like you are just doing the basic poo poo you should be doing anyways, after sitting in a room with poor ventilation for two+ hours.

He's not even taking the drastic step of "not going to the movies"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I made what I believed to be an informed choice and I'm not going to sit around and feel guilty like I just peed on the rug. I did it, it's done. If you want to be more safe and cautious then more power to you! This poo poo is real and there's not really such a thing as "too safe" or "too cautious".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I made what I believed to be an informed choice and I'm not going to sit around and feel guilty like I just peed on the rug. I did it, it's done. If you want to be more safe and cautious then more power to you! This poo poo is real and there's not really such a thing as "too safe" or "too cautious".

Thing is, everything I want and everything I do is pointless if all it takes is one dumbass needlessly exposing themself.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think everyone is just frustrated because in America there are people who have actually modified their lives to minimize the threat of COVID to both themselves and the larger community and basically everywhere in this dumb stupid gently caress country there are people who are just going about having decided that the time for moderation is over and if the disease isn't gone then dammit we'll just have to live with it, what are we gonna do not watch football????

one person doing one unadvisable thing while still trying to minimize their risk is not hurting anyone when we're in a country full of people who either don't think the disease exists as it does, don't think that it's really that important to prevent it, or don't think they have any responsibility to anyone else. I can't blame someone for wanting to go see one dumb movie.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

image: tombstone with the sentence "teriyaki hairpiece got to see tenet" enraged on it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are they bringing back drive-in theaters and outdoor movie screenings yet because those would be pretty okay if you do it carefully whereas on the other hand an indoor movie theater is basically a COVID death trap

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The thing is, you keep going on about what a saint you are and how serious this poo poo is while not behaving that way. At least accept you're a selfish dick and own it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just feel like I missed something because my understanding was that masks work

Even if you're in poor ventilation, if you are wearing a mask and the other people breathing the same air are wearing masks, nobody will transmit or contract COVID, and in fact there was at least one potential superspreader event that got averted (with nobody getting sick, not even asymptomatically) because everyone was wearing a mask

Like, this virus is scary poo poo, but the advised precautions for going out in public seem to be pretty much an ironclad "do these things and you will not get COVID" situation rather than a "you might make your chances slightly better but you're probably still hosed" one

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Your informed choice is based on ignorance and selfishness, you idiot.

You don't even seem capable of reflecting on the fact that a whole bunch of people are calling you irresponsible and dumb, and still think that nah, what you did was super cool.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 14, 2020

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I just feel like I missed something because my understanding was that masks work

Even if you're in poor ventilation, if you are wearing a mask and the other people breathing the same air are wearing masks, nobody will transmit or contract COVID, and in fact there was at least one potential superspreader event that got averted (with nobody getting sick, not even asymptomatically) because everyone was wearing a mask

Like, this virus is scary poo poo, but the advised precautions for going out in public seem to be pretty much an ironclad "do these things and you will not get COVID" situation rather than a "you might make your chances slightly better but you're probably still hosed" one
There's absolutely no guarantee that the rest of the audience wear their masks properly for the entirety of a three-hour movie

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Tenet is a good movie to see in the theatre.

Please use common sense and judge how safe it is for you, your loved ones, and those around you before going to the theatre at this moment of time. If it is safe for you, while taking appropriate precautions, then it is a film highly recommended by members of this page. If it is not safe, please do not risk your health on a movie.

Does that cover it? Can we go back to bitching about Mulan or whatever we were on before this derail?

Also, Mulan bad. Watch the original again instead of the live action.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Masks reduce the risk, but not as much as not going out in public at all, hence you go out in public only when you need to. It's a matter of degrees. Without widespread testing and contact tracing (which we should have had in place by now, but of course we don't), we can only really deal in probabilities.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

also tons of people wear masks improperly (under nose, hanging over ear, only on chin) and some use the same mask for five days in a row

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Also also, movie theaters are a place where people have, on rare occasions, been known to consume food.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I would probably watch Tenet in a movie theatre if I were even remotely interested in it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like the bad movie thats gonna kill some ppl isnt doing so well

https://mobile.twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1305229132834324480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

ALFbrot posted:

Big movie. Big screen. Loved it.

edit: it's great to be back in a movie theater, everybody