Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Can you post a picture? I’m confused by the stem part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAmXnDdgCo0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

e.pilot posted:

It’s a stem where the faceplate is one piece with the rest of the stem, you’d see that design a lot on older quill stem bikes.

^^^ Yeah it's gotta be a Ritchey stem if it's 31.8. I don't think even Crust has a quill stem without a removable faceplate.

I heard with the C220, you can just barely get it in there.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Yes it's a Ritchey. The place the faceplate and stem connect isn't cut down the middle so the opening isn't 31.8mm even though the inside diameter is. Just can't slide it on my aero bars.

And before I gently caress up again are the Giant OD2 stems 1-1/4" steerer tube compatible? From what I've interpreted they are and there's a shim to make them also fit 1-1/8" that can be removed. But none of the sites explicitly say that and many just list it as 1-1/8".

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

I heard with the C220, you can just barely get it in there.

Yep, the C220 doesn’t have any compatibility issues. Also no one should ever buy a Superlogic C260...the steerer clamp bolt inserts love to debond themselves.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Snagged a single speed on CL to bomb around in the city with. Really enjoying it and I'm in good enough shape where moderate hills aren't that much of an issue.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 13, 2020

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Does anybody know of any decent century+ routes in the central MA/southeast VT/southwest NH area? My brother and I were thinking of doing a long ride together this year (his first) and that area is right in the middle of us so it'd be a good compromise vs a 6 hour round trip for one of us.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Chinatown posted:

Snagged a single speed on CL to bomb around in the city with. Really enjoying it and I'm in good enough shape where moderate hills aren't that much of an issue.
Nice, congrats.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Lotta sickos riding steel these days.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ordered some tubeless GravelKing slicks in 700x32. Super excited for them to get here.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Chinatown posted:

Sweet! Cinellis are cool bikes and with those proper road tires you have on there you are gonna rip. :madmax:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Crossposting from show us your bikes because I'm hyped as absolute gently caress rn

Just got it back together after having it powder coated, Dick Wood™ is officially, undoubtably, 100% done.

Quick refresher, this is how it was when I got it, ancient 8sp 105 groupset, bar end shifters, 2x crank, wheels that had seen better days, some wtf mystery saddle, awful headset, all around a real fixer upper but I got a good deal on it. Even after everything I've done to it, it's still far far cheaper than had I bought it new.

Current build list:
R7000 105 levers and brakes
RX812 GRX rear derailleur
FSA Energy crank with Stages power meter
54t SRAM X-Sync chainring
Silverock alloy wheels with XD driver
e*thirteen 9-39 cassette
Panaracer Minits Lite 451x23 tires
Brooks C13 carbon saddle
Trek System 3 titanium seat post
Jagwire braided housing cables
Fizik Terra 3.0 bar tape

And now for the goods :popeye:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

e.pilot posted:

And now for the goods :popeye:

Phwoar :discourse:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dickwood lookin real good.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

My god.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hi friendos! I've spent my summer fixing up bikes and selling them, trying to save up some money for my next around town bike. I'm looking for something that can fit wider tires, like a 650b sized tire, with 9-12-ish gears. I'm totally willing to find an older frame and build on top of that, but am not sure what bikes would have proper tire clearance AND be worth putting the effort into. Bike will mostly be used to bomb around town, some gravel trail riding, will probably end up coming with me on some camping vacations.

Current budget is just shy of $700, but I'm debating hunkering down and flipping more bikes over the winter to bump up that budget, so slightly more expensive is fine, but also don't want to get into a $1200 bike. Goons, do you have any recommendations?

Location is right outside Detroit, MI, so the 650b tires will make zooming around town slightly more bearable. Appreciate the help goons :)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

bagmonkey posted:

Hi friendos! I've spent my summer fixing up bikes and selling them, trying to save up some money for my next around town bike. I'm looking for something that can fit wider tires, like a 650b sized tire, with 9-12-ish gears. I'm totally willing to find an older frame and build on top of that, but am not sure what bikes would have proper tire clearance AND be worth putting the effort into. Bike will mostly be used to bomb around town, some gravel trail riding, will probably end up coming with me on some camping vacations.

Current budget is just shy of $700, but I'm debating hunkering down and flipping more bikes over the winter to bump up that budget, so slightly more expensive is fine, but also don't want to get into a $1200 bike. Goons, do you have any recommendations?

Location is right outside Detroit, MI, so the 650b tires will make zooming around town slightly more bearable. Appreciate the help goons :)

I've been able to change my old 26" mtb over to 27.5" wheels and tires. Finding an old mtb and putting a rigid fork on there might be the way to go. My bike is a 2006/2007 Giant Yukon for inspiration.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Lotta sickos riding steel these days.

:yeshaha:

numberoneposter posted:

Sweet! Cinellis are cool bikes and with those proper road tires you have on there you are gonna rip. :madmax:

:hai:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Coredump posted:

I've been able to change my old 26" mtb over to 27.5" wheels and tires. Finding an old mtb and putting a rigid fork on there might be the way to go. My bike is a 2006/2007 Giant Yukon for inspiration.

Is there any easy way to know if a 26" frame will fit 27.5" wheels and tires? Most people on Craigslist here struggle to even spell the bike names right (I cannot tell you how many Schwann ads I see) so if there's an easy way to figure that out, would love to know :) Also, will be adding that Giant to my list of bikes to look for, thank you!!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

When I was in the process of doing my wheelswap it seemed as though my 26" wheel with a 2"+ tire had the same diameter as my 27.5" wheel with a 1.85" tire.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

Is there any easy way to know if a 26" frame will fit 27.5" wheels and tires?

No, it's really frame dependent. If it's an MTB frame for 26x2.2 tires, it could fit 44mm 650B tires. But trying to keep the same tire size might lead to radius or width clearance issues.

Also depending on what you mean by older, you might not have disc brake mounts on the frame.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Disc brake mounts aren't necessary for the conversion, you just need cantilever/V brakes with at least 12.5mm ((584-559)/2) of adjustment above the location for the 26" wheels. Plenty of brakes offer that much movement, with Paul Motolites being the nuclear option if nothing else gets the pads where you need them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Which are the normal V-brakes with the most adjustment? $300+ on a pair of Motolites seems like a big chunk of the town bike budget.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

Which are the normal V-brakes with the most adjustment? $300+ on a pair of Motolites seems like a big chunk of the town bike budget.
The cheapest option would be these: https://bacchettabikes.com/product/brake-bacchetta-v-brakes-longreach/

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

When I was in the process of doing my wheelswap it seemed as though my 26" wheel with a 2"+ tire had the same diameter as my 27.5" wheel with a 1.85" tire.

Here's pics
26" wheels

27.5"

The gap at the rear frame is where I would pay most attention and to me it looks very close to the same clearance.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I went to my LBS and rode a Jamison Renegade Escapade with an SRAM Force One groupset. It‘s more than I had planned on spending, but it rode really nice. I’d like to ride some more bikes to get a better feel for things but inventory is low and want is high.

The main problem is that it is charcoal.
All the good colors are sold out :(

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I was going for something slightly different, but was a smidge too slow. I'll consider this a task failed successfully moment.

And coincidentally enough the two animals I crossed paths with while riding were the serpent and some goats.

Getting a proper 69/420 ride is harder than it needs to be cuz my SS bike is too slow (on gravel) for the pace needed and my geared bike is too fast. I think if I come across the right amount of climbing while riding gears it'll happen. Maybe someday...

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Crumps Brother posted:

I was going for something slightly different, but was a smidge too slow. I'll consider this a task failed successfully moment.

And coincidentally enough the two animals I crossed paths with while riding were the serpent and some goats.

Getting a proper 69/420 ride is harder than it needs to be cuz my SS bike is too slow (on gravel) for the pace needed and my geared bike is too fast. I think if I come across the right amount of climbing while riding gears it'll happen. Maybe someday...

As an aside, somebody should make a script that crawls strava data for rides of 69 miles long and comments 'nice' on them.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Anza Borrego posted:

I went to my LBS and rode a Jamison Renegade Escapade with an SRAM Force One groupset. It‘s more than I had planned on spending, but it rode really nice. I’d like to ride some more bikes to get a better feel for things but inventory is low and want is high.

Did you go to Adams Ave Bikes? That's my local, and that's a great bike for around here.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

so smokey :(

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It sucks, I haven't ridden in over a week.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Today's the first day where the smoke seems to be receding in the south bay. May want to venture out and do a Bohlman/OnOrbits

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've barely been outside for a week, windows shut, just laying low trying to breath the least amount of this poo poo as possible. I'd kill to go for a nice bike ride right now in clean air. Feeling real goony and gross these days but can't do much about it. This world sucks.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

I’ve managed 100mi a week or more every week of 2020, this smoke might break that streak :(

Really tempted to go out and pedal around with a p100 mask on just to get out

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

tylertfb posted:

Did you go to Adams Ave Bikes? That's my local, and that's a great bike for around here.

Yes, except their Uptown shop in Banker’s Hill. It rode so smooth :allears:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I want to ride but the air is poison, again. I can't wait to see what delights 2021 has to offer!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Blessed by a boon of relatively fresh air in the Bay Area, I rode my bike to the grocery store to get stuff for brownies.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

e.pilot posted:

I’ve managed 100mi a week or more every week of 2020, this smoke might break that streak :(

Really tempted to go out and pedal around with a p100 mask on just to get out

tried that, its fuckin miserable

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BraveUlysses posted:

tried that, its fuckin miserable

it’s that or sitting in my hotel room bored out of my mind or riding the hotel gym recumbent thing, which is fraught with more issues than just being a recumbent stationary bike

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Anza Borrego posted:

Put a deposit on the Renegade today, will pick up sometime later this week

:getin:

E: Reading a bit more about the SRAM Force 1, wondering if a 1x with the double shifter is the right thing for me. Anyone with SRAM want to share their thoughts?

Anza Borrego fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Anza Borrego posted:

Yes, except their Uptown shop in Banker’s Hill. It rode so smooth :allears:

They got broken into last month and had a bunch of bikes stolen :mad:

Nice guys working there.