Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

rideANDxORdie posted:

Hello league thread! I'm thinking about coming back to the game after taking a year+ off. I was hoping the item rework + pre-season would be a good time to dip my toes back in. I'm a completely average silver player who used to only play duo with one other person who can't play anymore and the thought of playing league just solo is depressing to me. Is there a low-skill goon group or something? I'm a jungle main who can also hack it as support and top

What's the best way to get caught up? Last time I remember playing Zoe was the hot new poo poo champ

I landed in high silver/low gold the seasons I actually played. This season I'm somewhere in Bronze but I'm at, like, 4/10 placements because I just decided to play ARAM all year for some reason, haha.

Add me if you're in NA, i'm Baelfael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In fact after a quick check it is literally just the cooldown on New Panth’s E that is actually significantly worse. As I keep pointing out his new Q only has a 10-8 second cooldown if you throw the spear, which is twice the range of the old spear, and the tap version is barely shorter for a 5-4 second cooldown (yes worse until max level but only barely). His w was 13-9 seconds before the rework. His E is the loser, with almost double the cooldown. Which I think is in part because the empowered E is such a long duration of invulnerability.

If they removed the extra duration from empowered E it could easily be back to 15-12 seconds or something. Make it significantly higher damage or apply an armor shred when empowered instead imo.

Oh and his ult, which I do not understand because the new one does less damage, but that’s kind of whatever for this particular talking point.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rygar201 posted:

Pre Euro Lane Kill lanes with old Pantheon could be called support Pantheon too.

<Always has been meme goes here>

Playing against a bad kill lane as a traditional support were some of my favorite games ever, I remember a "support" Riven who fell so far behind when she tried to jump on me from the brush later on in the game I got a 1v1 kill vs. her as Sona, lol

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

My favourite dumb kill lane down in the clown lands of OCE is definitely Nautilus plus Pyke.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Whole lot of Pantheon's power and favorable matchups came from the aegis block passive, new E block doesn't make up for that even if it blocks more in chaotic teamfights, the old block cost 0 mana, was entirely controllable and it didn't slow him when he got it.

I'd like to see them re-implement his old passive, get rid of empowered abilities and change his E back to a pure damage ability instead of worse braum shield with some damage.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 13, 2020

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lord_Magmar posted:

I will say though new E does a truckload of damage if you max it first and land the shield bash, not quite as brutal as it used to be of course. I wonder if it would feel better if they swapped the order it does damage in. Shield bash first followed by the channeled spear strikes.

If it was swapped around like that it would be crazy strong for winning trades in lane. You'd get the meat of the damage up front, and then you'd get to back away out of melee range while still keeping the damage block. Putting the big hit at the end means that if you wanna hit them with it you have to stay close and open yourself up to retaliation, since after the final hit your shield is gone.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Elephunk posted:

Here's another jungle question: How often would you say that you abandon clearing a camp in the middle of fighting it to go join a lane PvP fight?

Basically never. I often finish my work watching others begin losing space in lane, and only show up if they're backed up to behind their tower. I also never show up before level 5. I'm just a terrible flash farm/rotation roamer. Everything is good up to level 5, then I probably spend too much time walking around not being productive, recalling to base too much, etc. I was infamously bad at Dota 2 here, but partly because every carry in that game is slightly a jungler, expected to leave lane and go kill a convention of centaurs, trolls, harpies, etc hanging out in corners of the forest.

In Dota I tended to consistently miss timings for x item at y minutes by long stretches of time, and in League when queued as jungler and going well I tend to hit level 6 one full minute behind the times suggested in guides. If I'm not doing well relative to my usual, well then holy poo poo, the most I can do is try to catchup to my teammates average levels by participating in their fights which works maybe 50% of the time..

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 13, 2020

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Whole lot of Pantheon's power and favorable matchups came from the aegis block passive, new E block doesn't make up for that even if it blocks more in chaotic teamfights, the old block cost 0 mana, was entirely controllable and it didn't slow him when he got it.

I'd like to see them re-implement his old passive, get rid of empowered abilities and change his E back to a pure damage ability instead of worse braum shield with some damage.

Yeah, you basically put one of my points out in a hell of a lot less words and hopefully they'll do some consideration of returning the passive. It's also part of why he was a good jungler, being able to do a clear of single target camps using the block made for a pretty healthy clear.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the Pantheon reworked kind of sucked mechanically but the original Pantheon kit seemed to me like it was a really good example of "when played correctly this character is unbeatable" and I just don't really want that to exist

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

henkman posted:

Reverse the pantheon and graves reworks, riot

graves was one of my favorite adcs, at least partially because he had a really satisfying auto. the reason they reworked him was very dumb, and them making his rework not a bot laner was also very dumb. i do appreciate that part of the adc rework involved them removing two champs from the adc pool, however, as that is very funny

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

the graves rework was a coin flip. On the one side, old graves no longer exists as a champ. On the other side, they managed to release a fun, viable and good champion.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its always a goal of a positional rework to make the role have less champions when its done without actually improving the role

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Does league have an option hidden somewhere like HotS does where you can toggle normalcast/quickcast/smartcast for each spell on each champion individually?
I normally like using quickcast-with-indicator but the "hold to charge up and release to actually cast" thing for abilities like Galio W or Vlad W is extremely annoying and i'd much rather have those on normal-cast (where you tap once to start charging and tap again to release), while still keeping other champs' Ws on quickcast.
Is there a way to do that without having to futz with the keybinds menu in fountain every time I pick the champ?

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Lord_Magmar posted:

My favourite dumb kill lane down in the clown lands of OCE is definitely Nautilus plus Pyke.

I always liked singed/voli, house flippers. Voli rework RIP.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm still sad that Rengar/Ivern gimmick lane doesn't really work.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Boxman posted:

I'm still sad that Rengar/Ivern gimmick lane doesn't really work.

I’ve gotten destroyed by Rengar/Yuumi, do that instead

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
J4/Leona still sorta works, my friend and I whip it out occasionally. We have to target ban a bit though. Morgana is a no go, and so is Ezreal to a degree.

The bigger problem is that you need a huge lead out of lane to do anything in the midgame, and our team will usually refuse to cooperate in any way because we're playing off-meta.

The worst rework so far is Sion. Old Sion was a genius champ. If you played him AP, he had two buttons and you could ignore everything else. If you played him AD, similarly. Stun, boom. Stun, boom. Stun, boom. Great champ, sorely missed. As an old man, I'd really like a mechanically ultra-simple champion that relies almost entirely on playing a good macro game. AP Malph is probably the closest these days, but he can't shove lane and roam for poo poo and his playmaking is gated behind a super high CD early game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think that "You only use two buttons and ignore everything else" is very much not good design.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I tend to prefer champion designs where it matters if you have your monitor plugged in or not

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I really don't get the mindset of people that actually liked the gameplay or visual design of old Sion and don't like new Sion's Q charge-up or ult drifting.

I'm hoping for new tank/CDR/damage items to bring Sion back to the monster he was for the year after his rework before they threw tons of nerfs at him.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 14, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

For some reason any time I get into a PBE game, there's a chance I'll just get this.

And no matter how many times I try to reconnect, it fails and I just have to wait for the game to end before I can queue for a new one. Is that a common problem? If it changes anything, I only use the PBE for TFT.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I get it in standard rift games on the regular server. Hit cancel and it goes away instantly. Hit retry and you will be looking at that box again.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

The Mash posted:

J4/Leona still sorta works, my friend and I whip it out occasionally. We have to target ban a bit though. Morgana is a no go, and so is Ezreal to a degree.

The bigger problem is that you need a huge lead out of lane to do anything in the midgame, and our team will usually refuse to cooperate in any way because we're playing off-meta.

The worst rework so far is Sion. Old Sion was a genius champ. If you played him AP, he had two buttons and you could ignore everything else. If you played him AD, similarly. Stun, boom. Stun, boom. Stun, boom. Great champ, sorely missed. As an old man, I'd really like a mechanically ultra-simple champion that relies almost entirely on playing a good macro game. AP Malph is probably the closest these days, but he can't shove lane and roam for poo poo and his playmaking is gated behind a super high CD early game.

What about ap shyvana? Or udyr? Udyr seems one of the most simple champs now. Teemo also to an extent.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

SirSamVimes posted:

For some reason any time I get into a PBE game, there's a chance I'll just get this.

And no matter how many times I try to reconnect, it fails and I just have to wait for the game to end before I can queue for a new one. Is that a common problem? If it changes anything, I only use the PBE for TFT.

've gotten it too.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

milkman dad posted:

What about ap shyvana? Or udyr? Udyr seems one of the most simple champs now. Teemo also to an extent.

Udyr suffers heavily from the fact he sucks and additionally Suffers from being one of those champs that only works when people are dumb enough to fight him. In team fights he just gets kited forever or dies instantly.

The only thing he’s good at is objective control because of thE fact his 1v1 is insane.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

if you liked jarvan leona, try instead playing sett leona. you will enjoy it

milkman dad posted:

the simplest champion is yuumi but if you want a simple macro champion just play shen. teemo and udyr are Not Good. ap shyvana is fine if you want to be a loving dragon....,

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I really don't get the mindset of people that actually liked the gameplay or visual design of old Sion and don't like new Sion's Q charge-up or ult drifting.

I'm hoping for new tank/CDR/damage items to bring Sion back to the monster he was for the year after his rework before they threw tons of nerfs at him.

I don't understand why anyone would like Sion's Q charge.
My experience is just ARAM but it feels incredibly janky and non-fluid to stop moving and channel a "skillshot" that takes 5 years to go off.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't understand why anyone would like Sion's Q charge.
My experience is just ARAM but it feels incredibly janky and non-fluid to stop moving and channel a "skillshot" that takes 5 years to go off.

The trick is to hold your breath whilst you're channeling

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pog boyfriend posted:

the simplest champion is yuumi

She's mechanically simple, but she's surprisingly hard to use effectively. The shape of her mastery curve is actually along the lines of Akali and Qiyana, two mechanically complex champs with steep skill floors.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

My experience is just ARAM

It's close to impossible for Sion to get his Q off in ARAM against the majority of team comps unless you're specifically playing around their CC cooldowns. If you can do that, or if you're up against a team with minimal CC, it's one of the strongest zone control tools any tank has in the entire game. It has a miniscule cooldown and creates a large zone that's a guaranteed 2.25s stun with a high amount of base damage to anyone that tries to play into it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There aren't many none-ultimates that can force a flash-or-die scenario as hard as Sion Q charged for 1 second or any that have anywhere near the short cooldown of 4 seconds at max.

Heavily enemy team dependent of course, not because of stuns since it resets to 2 seconds on a interrupt, but because the game is infested with phase rush/nimbus cloak users with dashes on 2 second cooldowns, but the enemy team has a bunch of immobile squishies? super satisfying to drift your ult into them and charge up the followup Q stun.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 14, 2020

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Sion q not hitting anyone is still zoning

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I've played a bit of Sion, and he's a champ hit harder than average by being on ARAM. Harder to get CS to charge his W passive, and most of his skills benefit a lot from playing around terrain. The Q is hilarious to hit from a bush and zones well in teamfights or congested spaces in the jungle. It has a harder time in the straight, open arena of doom that is the Howling Abyss. His R is also better when you can use it to rotate real fast while also terrifying botlane that you're lane-ganking them.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

pog boyfriend posted:

this is correct and has been for years, support is far more important in the game than people give it credit for: it is either the second or third most impactful role

pog if this is correct, why do boosters and smurfs pick everything other than support

part of the answer is that they're subhuman trash but theres more than that

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 15, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Verviticus posted:

pog if this is correct, why do boosters and smurfs pick everything other than support

If support isn't so impactful why do boosters all pick Taric? :v:

I think either of the solo lanes or jungler are gonna be what a booster goes after because they are much better than the competition and thus can just carry through that, but which roles are most impactful in an even game ? :)

I think third most after mid and jungle makes sense for support.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Vermain posted:

She's mechanically simple, but she's surprisingly hard to use effectively.

thank you riot dev

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Jerkface posted:

If support isn't so impactful why do boosters all pick Taric? :v:

lol yeah touche. while i think support is still 4th or 5th i would entertain that [support + x] has the most impactful duo combos, along with [jungle + x]

quote:

I think either of the solo lanes or jungler are gonna be what a booster goes after because they are much better than the competition and thus can just carry through that, but which roles are most impactful in an even game ? :)

I think third most after mid and jungle makes sense for support.

there arent analytics that are good enough to define the most impactful role, so i usually just judge it by answering the question 'if you had one player better than the rest of the game, where would you put them?'. in whichever role having more skill than your opponent leads to the highest win rates would be the most impactful one

for posterity, i think and have thought for a long time that the list is mid > jungle > top > adc = support

edit: though top might only be third and not fifth because of the role's propensity for splitpushing

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 15, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

My favourite thing with Sion is building titanic and frozen fist and killing any squishy mage/assassin/marksman in the game if I hit them with the charge. Because it’s basically a 4 second stun at that point.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Verviticus posted:

because he's talking about playing at your own elo, the only thing you can take from boosting is which champs are the best when you're playing against a bunch of people you wouldn't lose to 97 times out of 100

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Elentor had a bunch of posts before talking about when they did the boosting thing and kept track of all their data. My memory is that they said support was the best role for doing so based on their data and their hypothesis for why was that you could take out two members of the enemy team with one role and get your adc so fed they would push through - but I can't remember if that only applied up to gold or if that was some other advice.

Edit: I think it was advice on playing support that changed from gold up, actually, not the boost results but I could be wrong.

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Verviticus posted:

lol yeah touche. while i think support is still 4th or 5th i would entertain that [support + x] has the most impactful duo combos, along with [jungle + x]

there arent analytics that are good enough to define the most impactful role, so i usually just judge it by answering the question 'if you had one player better than the rest of the game, where would you put them?'. in whichever role having more skill than your opponent leads to the highest win rates would be the most impactful one

for posterity, i think and have thought for a long time that the list is mid > jungle > top > adc = support

edit: though top might only be third and not fifth because of the role's propensity for splitpushing

there was a survey and support was said to be the third most impactful role a few months ago. some argue it can be more impactful with heavy roaming due to the fact that a very overskilled support wins bot(beating two enemies) and mid(beating a third enemy)