Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If just 40% of cops are domestic abusers, that leaves 60% who aren't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

pointsofdata posted:

If just 40% of cops are domestic abusers, that leaves 60% who aren't!

Cops when they come home to their families after their shift:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Zero VGS posted:

I'll just close by saying that when multiple people on SA found out I own land, they started following me to videogame threads to tell everyone unprompted that I need the guillotine without a hint of irony or humor... maybe keep in mind that if you have enough money for a down payment, you're already as deserving of death as any cop in the eyes of many goons.

Heh, I thought the same as well. It's so weird to see the middle class purposefully holding itself back.

And this forum was created and run by a guy who regularly leased exotic sports cars.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 13, 2020

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Deviant posted:

i wasn't gonna fire an agent who was a friend of a friend over it

but she honestly thought she was pointing out something i'd like when she said "oh, and there's a cop on the street apparently"

and without boring her with all the details i had to explain that that was, in fact, a dealbreaker.

house content: my final walkthrough is in a few hours, anything specific to look out for?

If the sellers leave anything behind, or anything is changed or missing, address it before closing, or don't close. During closing you will sign that you accept the property as is. Even if your purchase agreement says the sellers will do something, it is much harder to address after closing

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Gabriel S. posted:

Heh, I thought the same as well. It's so weird to see the middle class purposefully holding itself back.

And this forum was create and run by a guy who regularly leased exotic sports cars.

My most recent multi-unit, the seller turned out to be a huge company that owned 100's of properties. They took a bath on the sale because they felt overexposed during Covid and one of partners was trying to liquidate some of the portfolio for retirement. Anyway, I went and rented two of the vacant units to tenants on government assistance. One tenant pays next to nothing and the other doesn't pay anything at all; the government pays me nearly twice the rent for them as the other tenants (and always on time, which is appreciated during Covid). I am already pulling 50% more income here than the megacorp was, I've been cleaning and fixing the joint, and now a single parent and a senior both on welfare got to move to a location closer to their families, with a landlord who lives in the same building and is a thousand times more attentive than the absentee corporation was.

The point is it's possible to reconcile liberal ethics with landlording. If you talk yourself out of it, you're just leaving renters to the mercy of heartless investors. Nothing will ever change that way; except for the rich continuing to erode the middle class. If you don't trust yourself not to become corrupted and evil the moment you have a second unit, then I guess this isn't for you. But don't take it out on me if I have my poo poo together. If you can't eat the rich the next best thing is to eat away at the rich.

SpartanIvy posted:

Cops when they come home to their families after their shift:

Say what you will about Dirty Harry but the guy killed like five cops in Magnum Force.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Zero VGS posted:

Anyway, I went and rented two of the vacant units to tenants on government assistance. One tenant pays next to nothing and the other doesn't pay anything at all; the government pays me nearly twice the rent for them as the other tenants (and always on time, which is appreciated during Covid). I am already pulling 50% more income here than the megacorp was, I've been cleaning and fixing the joint, and now a single parent and a senior both on welfare got to move to a location closer to their families,

They need money more than you. How much of the above-market-rent are you giving back to them?

I personally don't care since I am a heartless capitalist who uses to real estate to enrich myself, but it sounds like ethics are important to you.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They need money more than you. How much of the above-market-rent are you giving back to them?

I personally don't care since I am a heartless capitalist who uses to real estate to enrich myself, but it sounds like ethics are important to you.

The rent is the "fair market rent" as calculated by the state, which happens to be a lot higher than the real life street rent of these apartments. Part of the reason is because the state only cares about number of bedrooms, when the square footage is much smaller than typical. The state didn't call me on it, so I'm not gonna point it out to them.

Taking the extra windfall and slipping it to the tenants would be illegal, just like giving them cash for foodstamps would be. I reward them with all free utilities, free internet, free laundry, a parking spot, and other amenities instead.

Likewise, the social worker actually said to me, "she can live there for as long as she wants and her voucher is secure, as long as there is no change in her income". Her income is nothing, so the govt worker was helpfully hinting to us both that she's got a free home forever as long as she stays poor, or at least hides her income. If I engaged in money shenanigans I could jeopardize her housing situation.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 13, 2020

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Clearly, your sainthood is just one confirmed miracle away.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sundae posted:

Clearly, your sainthood is just one confirmed miracle away.

Don't get me wrong I do a fuckton of felonies. But I cleaned up my act with renting ever since I moved past my first one. I quickly noticed that the more rental income one reports on taxes, the easier it becomes to secure financing for the next place. There's no point in going under the table for that.

Anyway, it's not rocket science. My two rules are "be gay do crimes" and "never screw the little guy". I punch up. It doesn't make me a saint but I can look at myself in the mirror.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Don't get me wrong I do a fuckton of felonies. But I cleaned up my act with renting ever since I moved past my first one. I quickly noticed that the more rental income one reports on taxes, the easier it becomes to secure financing for the next place. There's no point in going under the table for that.

Anyway, it's not rocket science. My two rules are "be gay do crimes" and "never screw the little guy". I punch up. It doesn't make me a saint but I can look at myself in the mirror.

No worries, I was definitely not getting you wrong.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Man what the hell. Politics was bad enough in the landlord thread, don't poo poo the one up too.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Moneyball posted:

Man what the hell. Politics was bad enough in the landlord thread, don't poo poo the one up too.
Yup.

Oh hey, a bunch of new posts in a thread that's fun to read. Looks like I'm in for a good half-hour of conversing with my fellow BFC goons.

FFS, nobody cares about your thoughts on communism. We're all like 35-40 at this point and want to actually talk about buying houses.

The only :guillotine: should be the mods.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Buying houses is good. Cop lover/landlord chat is what gets bugs in bonnets around here

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Buying houses is good. Cop lover/landlord chat is what gets bugs in bonnets around here

I get PMs from people who want to ask for advice on multi-families but feel cowed out of it by the politics. It's just weird. We don't have people bust into the Stocks thread and say "actually you're a piece of poo poo if you buy an index fund because it might include Philip Morris or Facebook" or whatever. But in here there's some peanut gallery who shows up to slam gavels every time. If a mod feels landlording is too volatile for the thread I can respect that. Otherwise I just want to talk business and give/ask relevant advice.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I'm not sure what was my favorite part of viewing a rural property today:
  • The meat that had been forgotten in the oven.
  • The hornet nest under the porch stairs.
  • Not one but two unattended firearms in plain sight.
  • Interior stairs with no railings. (My realtor was scared to go up them so I had to take videos of what I saw to show her.)
  • A fish cleaning station with a water line into the sink but no plumbing out (so if you turned the water on, it just dumped out onto your feet).
  • A mains voltage line running from an out-building to a tree, spliced with another line and just wrapped in electrical tape, that ran to an electric fence charger which was grounded with a pair of vice grips clamped to a rod...but no sign of an electric fence anywhere on the property.
  • Two full bags of empty beer cans just hangin' out behind an out-building.
  • Laminate flooring that had been cut around non-attached cabinets because that was easier/cheaper than moving them out of the room and putting an entire floor in.
  • Not being able to complete the driveway loop because of a rotted bridge and having to back up several hundred feet to find a spot to turn around.
  • Having to walk very carefully to avoid stepping on lizards.
  • What used to be a radio antenna tower but is now a dangling antenna and a support frame that is now more vines than metal.
  • Stepping out of my vehicle to a wonderful symphony of nature's sounds that were then briefly interrupted by distant machine gun fire (there's a military training range somewhere nearby).
The land is beautiful, though, and it's far away from a lot of things I'm trying to avoid, so I'm going to dig deeper into the local ordinances and probably ask about a second viewing in the near-ish future.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to avoid? Also would you be willing to share which state this is? :)

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Inner Light posted:

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to avoid? Also would you be willing to share which state this is? :)

I'm in Alabama.
I'm trying to avoid HOAs, crowded areas/traffic, neighbors who are close enough to burn your home down if they burn down theirs (my old neighbors melted the siding off the place I'm renting), road noise, flood plains (that one's up in the air on this property), lack of high-speed internet access, and living next to anything with likely chemical contamination (PCBs/PCAs are a huge issue around here) or agricultural run-off, light pollution, getting annexed, or being an easy burglary target.

We have a really weird housing market here. Big price bands based around military housing allowances, turn-over based on PCS schedules, spikes in prices following tornadoes/hurricanes/etc.
I'm also personally in the weird position where most people in my income bracket are 5-25 years older than me, have either far more cash savings, are looking to sell one house as they buy another, and/or are looking for a house as a family instead of a single professional.

In light of 2020 being like a Matryoshka doll of dumpster fires, I'm now looking for something on substantially more land than what I was originally looking for 3-6 months ago.
Everything I've found in that price range is about 50-100% more than what I was originally hoping to spend, but I'm still well under the usual heuristics for "how much house can I buy?"

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

quote:

Laminate flooring that had been cut around non-attached cabinets because that was easier/cheaper than moving them out of the room and putting an entire floor in.

If it's a floating floor, which many laminates are, this is how it's supposed to be installed. Putting cabinets and permanent furniture on top of floating floorcan cause it to buckle.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

BonerGhost posted:

If it's a floating floor, which many laminates are, this is how it's supposed to be installed. Putting cabinets and permanent furniture on top of floating floorcan cause it to buckle.

I have no prior experience with laminate flooring, so that might be what's going on. It still seemed weird given that the cabinets I was referring to were basically an alternative to a wardrobe in the non-master bedrooms and there was a zero percent chance you could move them without having to floor the rooms.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

as a lifelong leftist, I'd happily drop in to dunk on the landlord that clearly has a complex as he compares himself to abusers to validate his morals, except that I'm currently reconciling my politics with my own ascension into the PMC and literally just put an offer on a place that...

...is a block away from...

...this.

...listen, it's a very competitive market.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Don't doxx me

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

as a lifelong leftist, I'd happily drop in to dunk on the landlord that clearly has a complex as he compares himself to abusers to validate his morals, except that I'm currently reconciling my politics with my own ascension into the PMC and literally just put an offer on a place that...

...is a block away from...

...this.

...listen, it's a very competitive market.

There's not much to reconcile here, politically. The job of a leftist is not to huddle up with already like-minded people, it's to help organize the forces opposed to reaction and eventually forces in favor of progress. You may actually have an easier time doing that in areas the Dem establishment forgot, and there's no necessary reason why e.g., rural areas need to be conservative. Many rural areas now considered quintessentially conservative used to be alive with radicalism. (This is to say nothing of the already existing radicalism that just gets overlooked because it doesn't fit into a liberal electoral framework.)

Anyway sorry for this cspam leak! I'm done.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 14, 2020

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Can everyone shut the gently caress up about this? This derail has gone on too long.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Called up a bank to ask about getting pre-approved and she told me about pre-qualifying. When I said okay, what about pre-approval she said the options were pre-qualify or apply of the loan. So uh. What is pre-approval anyway, do some banks not do it? (It was actually a credit union if that matters.)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

it would be wonderful if the title company in my transaction would get its poo poo together

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SFCU offers a zero down jumbo loan but they also have a policy of only doing pre-qual and not pre-approval. Turns out when you are bidding, the 0% down is a sure loser even if you have the highest bid. But yeah it's not super unheard of. I just interpret that as the credit union doesn't want to do a lot of mortgages. Either that, or their guidelines haven't been updated to reflect the current realities.

It's super annoying. In today's competitive landscape it's pretty laughable to submit an offer with a pre qual letter in a lot of markets.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i have transferred the closing costs and i sign paperwork at 4pm

:grovertoot:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

My condolences

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant posted:

i have transferred the closing costs and i sign paperwork at 4pm

:grovertoot:

You were so close!

Kamel
Apr 23, 2010
I have been going back and forth between two lenders, both 30 year loans one VA one conventional. The the VA lender gave 2.75% floating on the estimate while the conventional gave me 2.875% floating.

I talked to the conventional lender and he said that mortgage rates have been going down and I'd most likely end up at 2.75 or lower when I locked in a rate. Since the mortgage insurance is going to cost less then the VA funding fee in the long run and the lender is local vs. the VA lender being online, I decided this was the way to go.

I told the VA lender I was going to back out and they just sent me a new loan estimate with 2.625% locked until my close date. This seems like a better deal now.

So now I have a couple of questions: Do the loan officers have any requirement to give me the lowest rate available? I want to take the conventional guy at his word that I will get a lower rate, but the VA folks have it in writing already.

Also, it's looking like my closing date is going to slip a bit. Is it easy to get a rate lock extended? Or am I going to get screwed if the rates go up and my lock expires?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Kamel posted:

So now I have a couple of questions: Do the loan officers have any requirement to give me the lowest rate available?

hahaha, oh man

welcome to the wild world of mortgage financing

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Kamel posted:

I have been going back and forth between two lenders, both 30 year loans one VA one conventional. The the VA lender gave 2.75% floating on the estimate while the conventional gave me 2.875% floating.

I talked to the conventional lender and he said that mortgage rates have been going down and I'd most likely end up at 2.75 or lower when I locked in a rate. Since the mortgage insurance is going to cost less then the VA funding fee in the long run and the lender is local vs. the VA lender being online, I decided this was the way to go.

I told the VA lender I was going to back out and they just sent me a new loan estimate with 2.625% locked until my close date. This seems like a better deal now.

So now I have a couple of questions: Do the loan officers have any requirement to give me the lowest rate available? I want to take the conventional guy at his word that I will get a lower rate, but the VA folks have it in writing already.

Also, it's looking like my closing date is going to slip a bit. Is it easy to get a rate lock extended? Or am I going to get screwed if the rates go up and my lock expires?

Different companies will have different requirements to get the best rate/closing costs based on who they are reselling the loan too, how busy they are and a number of other factors. And the way it is setup the loan officers don't make more money by giving you a higher rate, they get paid more or less a flat amount for a certain size loan. At the minimum you should shop around between applying directly, getting quotes through a broker, and checking with any banks you have a relationship with because banks price loans in different ways for these three categories. You can probably do better than 2.625 for a VA loan if you shop around, but it depends on what kind of closing costs/credits you are looking at. Rate.com is showing 2.5% with no points and 2.25% with 1 point. https://www.rate.com/mortgage-rates/assumptions/VA_30-Year_Fixed_Conforming

VA loans are usually a better deal all around than conventional loans if the VA loan is an option, lower rate, lower down payment but higher closing costs that are rolled in. If you have a service connected disability or if this is the first time the funding fee is lower. But you should compare both VA and conventional and factor in all the costs with PMI/MIP and decide from there.

A 45-60 day lock is generally not very costly. Past that and it depends on the market

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

Called up a bank to ask about getting pre-approved and she told me about pre-qualifying. When I said okay, what about pre-approval she said the options were pre-qualify or apply of the loan. So uh. What is pre-approval anyway, do some banks not do it? (It was actually a credit union if that matters.)

Pre-qualification is worthless toilet paper. You tell them your financials and they take your word for it. Pre-approval runs your credit, which means when you have the pre-approval letter people take you seriously with offers.

Some banks don't do pre-approvals. You'd have to just apply and then ask for some kind of lending commitment letter if you want to look legit. The good news is only the first application dings your credit score and if you apply for 20 more mortgage applications in that month they won't keep lowering your score.

lampey posted:

If you have a service connected disability or if this is the first time the funding fee is lower.

If you get compensation for any VA disability, even at 10%, the funding fee is completely waived. If you think you have any ringing in your ears from working in a loud environment in the military, they'll hand you 10% for tinnitus since there's no way to test for it.

Check out that huge faulty 3M military earplug lawsuit while you're at it, 3M knowingly gave out ineffective earplugs to a lot of people including me.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 14, 2020

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

The good news is only the first application dings your credit score and if you apply for 20 more mortgage applications in that month they won't keep lowering your score.

How long is this period of credit pulls not affecting your score? If I'm not fully serious and ready to buy while I build up a down payment but I want to have a bit of an idea what I'll be pre approved for, should I wait until I have a DP ready?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i have a house now

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Deviant posted:

i have a house now

Congrats!
When are you inviting us for the housewarming party? :toot:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

poeticoddity posted:

Congrats!
When are you inviting us for the housewarming party? :toot:

as soon as i replace all the goddamn lightbulbs the seller took

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Deviant posted:

as soon as i replace all the goddamn lightbulbs the seller took

I'm pretty sure at least in my state (NC) light bulbs are supposed to convey. Give your realtor grief, that sort of petty poo poo deserves an equally petty response.

edit: so maybe? Found a sample Offer To Purchase online that specified bulbs, but my OTP didn't. Worth giving grief anyhow, even if it's just an angry e-mail that gets passed on.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 15, 2020

Kamel
Apr 23, 2010

lampey posted:

Different companies will have different requirements to get the best rate/closing costs based on who they are reselling the loan too, how busy they are and a number of other factors. And the way it is setup the loan officers don't make more money by giving you a higher rate, they get paid more or less a flat amount for a certain size loan. At the minimum you should shop around between applying directly, getting quotes through a broker, and checking with any banks you have a relationship with because banks price loans in different ways for these three categories. You can probably do better than 2.625 for a VA loan if you shop around, but it depends on what kind of closing costs/credits you are looking at. Rate.com is showing 2.5% with no points and 2.25% with 1 point. https://www.rate.com/mortgage-rates/assumptions/VA_30-Year_Fixed_Conforming

Thanks for this. I did shop a bit, but apparently not enough.

Your link shows 2.75 for me with no points. Does it vary by location or is it just that volatile right now?

Zero VGS posted:

If you get compensation for any VA disability, even at 10%, the funding fee is completely waived. If you think you have any ringing in your ears from working in a loud environment in the military, they'll hand you 10% for tinnitus since there's no way to test for it.

Check out that huge faulty 3M military earplug lawsuit while you're at it, 3M knowingly gave out ineffective earplugs to a lot of people including me.

Someone mentioned this as I was getting out, but I had just gotten back from a deployment and wanted to be done with the whole thing. I have since heard trying to get the VA to certify anything once you're separated is like pulling teeth. Might be worth pursing though, the funding fee is a couple grand and I definitely have tinnitus.

I guess I get some more time to figure this out, I just learned that the basement is apparently full of radon :gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Did they just have regular whatever bulbs in there?

We have way more Hue bulbs than I care to admit and they would for sure come out if we sold ours. I doubt i'd worry about replacing them for the new owner unless the contract specified they convey.