Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 processor
6GB RAM
Nearly 2K resolution per eye - over 50 per cent more pixels than Quest 1
3D positional audio
New controller ergonomics
Optional 256GB of built-in storage

No word on price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

As someone who's apparently related to a hammerhead shark and had to set the Index's IPD slider to maximum I'd really have to hold off and see what the Quest 2 claims its maximum IPD is before ever getting excited for one.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

FOV is likely to be the same based on the photos/renders.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Here are the two videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4EPMxJiJRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b8xf2DpAMk

The second one talks about Oculus Link so probably no official wireless streaming support. It looks nice, but I think I have enough Quest-only games to keep my Quest 1, since for others I can just Oculus Link. Also they still call things "Oculus *thing*" so maybe they realized calling stuff "Facebook Reality" did bring up some orwelian nightmare.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kikas posted:

Here are the two videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4EPMxJiJRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b8xf2DpAMk

The second one talks about Oculus Link so probably no official wireless streaming support. It looks nice, but I think I have enough Quest-only games to keep my Quest 1, since for others I can just Oculus Link. Also they still call things "Oculus *thing*" so maybe they realized calling stuff "Facebook Reality" did bring up some orwelian nightmare.

Video production takes a while from conception to completion. My money would be that this was planned out before Oculus went full Facebook Reality, and just wasn't updated for the new branding/semi-takeover.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Ok cool but what about the refresh rate? That’s one of my make or break items for this thing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Video production takes a while from conception to completion. My money would be that this was planned out before Oculus went full Facebook Reality, and just wasn't updated for the new branding/semi-takeover.

It could simply be that it's just internal organization thing, and never was intended to affect the branding.

New videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVgTni2nPqE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD52-cqnAI8

It's pretty cool they are using Eleven TT as footage.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 14, 2020

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hadlock posted:

6GB RAM
3D positional audio

No word on price

And target pulled the quest 2 out of the inventory system so I can't keep track of its price anymore. :argh:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Just a thought: I don't expect a big, generational jump in game graphical quality, I think most of the 2x performance jump is going to be 'spent' in the better resolution and in going from 72hz to 90hz.
Which is fine, new buyers obtain better resolution and smoothness which is a way to increase graphical quality too, and Quest 1 owners maintain compatibility with the new games launched.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Turin Turambar posted:

BRB selling my Quest before the price craters. edit: some minutes later... I think I have a buyer already.

If the new one is a straight-up upgrade in all aspects and sold at 300 bucks, I should definitely do the same. Plan was to keep the Quest until I could grab a Reverb or something, but oh well.

I wonder if my Aliexpress replacement strap would be compatible with the 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Just a thought: I don't expect a big, generational jump in game graphical quality, I think most of the 2x performance jump is going to be 'spent' in the better resolution and in going from 72hz to 90hz.
Which is fine, new buyers obtain better resolution and smoothness which is a way to increase graphical quality too, and Quest 1 owners maintain compatibility with the new games launched.

Yeah, I agree with that. My guess would be comparison-wise is it'll be like jumping from N64/PSX to Gamecube/PS2, where you start to see effects like proper lighting engines and particle effects that don't make the framerate poo poo the bed.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, I just put my Quest up for sale. Hell, if it were identical in every way to Quest 1 except smaller and lighter, I'd be happy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And if you are going to use it for pcvr, the resolution+refresh bump will be even more desirable.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Turin Turambar posted:

And if you are going to use it for pcvr, the resolution+refresh bump will be even more desirable.

My ol' 1060 will not be happy about this.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks for all the glasses chat. Even without the spacer it's still uncomfortable, just less so. I'll check out that replacement strap and see if they have any actual measurements included.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hadlock posted:

6GB RAM
3D positional audio

No word on price

Holy poo poo, not what I was expecting at all. I thought like, a snapdragon 845, maaaybe 855, and the same rift s LCD panel, not 4k and the xr2.

Assuming the link works well at this increased resolution that pretty much kills my ideas of picking up the HP reverb 2 at $600.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

seravid posted:

My ol' 1060 will not be happy about this.

good thing the 3090 is coming out soon

marumaru
May 20, 2013

"nearly 4K" isn't that far off from 2,560 x 1,440, is it?

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Any word on what kind of wifi quest 2 has?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Inacio posted:

good thing the 3090 is coming out soon

I’m going to be so mad if I can’t snag a 3080 on Thursday.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Inacio posted:

"nearly 4K" isn't that far off from 2,560 x 1,440, is it?

my guess is they're just using a 3840x2160 panel, which are not quite 4k, and per eye only 1920x2160.

If its a single panel it would only make sense to use a standard mass produced size, and not some bespoke different screen.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m going to be so mad if I can’t snag a 3080 on Thursday.

jokes aside i'd recommend waiting for the reviews. the embargo got delayed a bit ("covid") and i'm still quite skeptical of the non-DLSS, non-RT numbers.

really hope that it's as good as their marketing made it out to be, want to grab one.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
If I can use my Oculus and not FB account on the Quest 2 until January 2023 or whatever, I would probably sell my Rift S to help finance one, but something tells me the rumored price is only so low because it's gonna require FB. :(

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Hadlock posted:

6GB RAM
3D positional audio

No word on price

You forgot the most important part:

Requires facebook login

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bloodplay it again posted:

If I can use my Oculus and not FB account on the Quest 2 until January 2023 or whatever, I would probably sell my Rift S to help finance one, but something tells me the rumored price is only so low because it's gonna require FB. :(

It's gonna require one. I'm pretty sure the option to still use a Oculus account is for old devices.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

The cut-off for new device registrations requiring an FB login is next month, it's a pretty safe bet that it will coincide with the Quest 2 release

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I'm getting a Facebook Quest 2 on launch for sure! Anyone know if I can preorder it yet? What a fantastic value it offers! I'm also extremely excited about being able to keep in touch with my friends via Facebook Horizon!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I fixed it

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Looks like a Solid Snake cosplay

marumaru
May 20, 2013

GutBomb posted:

I fixed it

cyberpunk 2077

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I know we're in the midst of Quest 2 hype, but I just finished Paper Beasts this weekend and I want to type about it.

Paper Beasts is a game I knew nothing about when I started, and now that I'm done I wish it were longer. I wish it were longer because not only is it $20 and I beat it in about 5 hours (including messing around in the sandbox for a bit), but also because it was a really, really good game. It's the kind of game that VR is perfect for.

The game itself is a series of literal environmental puzzles, using sand, water, and creatures to alter the terrain in order to solve some kind of puzzle, usually involving getting x number of the titular paper beasts to a set location. This can involve anything from altering the flow of a stream to get some little crab guys safely across, to finding ways to get some paper horse-things across a hill buffeted by strong winds that blow them away, to finding ways to slow predatory beasts and allow for a prey herd to make an escape. The best part, for me anyway, is that the game tells you none of this through text. Instead, it gives you the environment with a few clues here and there to decipher what the game expects from you and off you go. I also don't think it's possible to get a game over, and even if you mess something up you can reset easily as it breaks everything down stage by stage on the title screen.

There is a story... I think? Honestly the game tries to do the "is this REALLY a VR simulation!??!" thing but it was so far in the background and so hodge-podge that I ignored it completely. Any kind of cohesive narrative just doesn't exist and is a pretty bare frame for the actual game, which is fine by me (like I insinuated above, text is rare in the game world itself). The whole thing has a definitively dreamlike vibe, more so than any other VR game I've played previously, so I think elaborating on the story would've only hurt the presentation.

And holy poo poo, the presentation. Alyx has amazing atmosphere because it puts you in a realistic world where you can gawk at how much detail the artists put into the rust stains on the bottom of a coffee can. Paper Beast's atmosphere is like walking into a Russian stop-motion art film; everything is abstract yet easily discernible for what it is, and getting close to a creature (especially on in particular you encounter in a series of tunnels) gives the feeling that you're actually standing near a living animal. It's like when you get really into a Jim Henson movie and forget that the critters in Labyrinth aren't just dudes foam rubber with moving parts. This also doesn't even begin to cover some of the landscapes you will see, which are just as surreal and wonderful as the beasts. I would actually replay this just for a few specific landscapes alone.

Once you've beaten the game, though, all that's left is sandbox mode. You create your own little biomes, which you can populate with beasts that have various tasks, and then watch it all interact. It's cool, and everything is very dynamic because some of the critters will actually alter the landscape on their own, and the things they require for their environment can do the same as well. I played for maybe 40 minutes and what I ended up with looked way different than when I started. Having said that, it's incredibly limited and doesn't add a ton to the game besides being a cool distraction.

Ultimately, I'd say get this game... if it's on sale. $20 for under 5 hours is pretty steep as far as single player experiences go. BUT! If you do see it on sale, it is 100% worth it for the weird, dreamlike experience alone.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Neat. Paper Beasts is the new game by the designer who made Out of This World. I saw it on steam a few days ago and I've been thinking about picking it up.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Sounds awesome and really highlights how different the $/hr value proposition can be from person-to-person. I think $20 for 5 hours of cool, unique single-player is great.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
People gotta make money, and selling games for a dollar per hour of content won't make them money. It's either worth 20 bucks or it isn't. Quality time can easily make up for a low quantity of time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I also recommend Paper Beast. I wrote about it here, although much less.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

XenoCrab posted:

Sounds awesome and really highlights how different the $/hr value proposition can be from person-to-person. I think $20 for 5 hours of cool, unique single-player is great.

Shine posted:

People gotta make money, and selling games for a dollar per hour of content won't make them money. It's either worth 20 bucks or it isn't. Quality time can easily make up for a low quantity of time.

To be fair, I bought it at full price and don't feel like I was cheated. It's more for people who really do have to consider where every one of of their dollars is going and if it will be worth the investment long term. The devs absolutely deserve to be paid for their effort because the product is quite amazing, but it's also a game you can beat in an afternoon and if you want to stretch your dollar out then exploring worlds in VRChat is free. So, you know, gotta judge where to put your own money, and I felt the warning was fair.

But if $20 isn't a problem? Then gently caress yeah buy the game now and be ready for the surreal origami adventure of your dreams. This game has my total endorsement.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This sounds cool
https://uploadvr.com/hitman-developers-psvr-changes/
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AngelicDistantAmericantoad-mobile.mp4

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Looks cool as hell

Where I'm not so into buying 2D arty games for my PC

I'm like, really into buying VR arty games for my PC

I'ma check it out

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah I've been posting about it in the Hitman thread, although this place is probably more appropriate for VR specific discussion.

I am so down to mime as a chef to blend in and then throw a can of spaghetti to knock out a guard. VR Hitman is gonna be sooooooo perfect.

I am insanely jazzed that the VR support will cover all levels from 1, 2 and 3. That's a LOT of VR content.

Its the unfortunate reality that retrofit games have way more budget and content for VR than ground-up VR specific games. As long as they adapt the controls well enough, and it sounds like they're even inventing lots of new gameplay that the flatscreen version just won't have, then this could really be something. The same way Payday2 is one of my favorite VR games because there's actually hundreds of hours of content and depth to go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure my wife would divorce me if she caught me playing a game about making dinner instead of actually making the dinner.