Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Really swinging for the fences on that "this stuff is from 2008" when the poo poo that got him known for :biotruths: in the first place was, what, last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yes I often find myself justifying sexist things a scientist said six years ago, because
:goonsay:
:biotruths:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Have they? I can't really think of one that isn't Harry Potter...

Tolarian Academy? :v:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

AK-interactive had a marketing campaign going that basically boiled down to “Hey, remember the Nazis?”

Turns out people remember the Nazis and hated it so AK announced their thing early and it’s.... a book of edgy dioramas?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

“When modeling becomes art and art is a social denounce.”

They’ve said it all right there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I can't decide if that read more like an ad for the Holocaust or poison gas.

This one may be bad enough to generate an outside-the-hobby reaction.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...the gently caress?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

That leering account of genocide really makes me want to build a model kit of an old car to confront society's ignorance of climate change. I may conspicuously Skype about this later in public.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I have literally never read ad copy that was written to cheerlead the gas chambers before. I can’t even process this.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Apparently they also did one with the Rwanda Genocide. Just brilliant decisions all round.

Of course now they’re trying to scrub it all.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The baffling thing is that the product preview images are things that wouldn't be out of place in an issue of FineScale Modeler.

Like, why go beyond the edge of edgy for a figure of a seated man in athletic casual?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm sorry did you not see the broke down old car? This is some Real poo poo™.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've grown desensitized, perhaps by all the times I've seen a man photographing camels.

Someimes when I close my eyes, he's still there - Photographing a camel like it's the most innocuous thing in the world.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

moths posted:

The baffling thing is that the product preview images are things that wouldn't be out of place in an issue of FineScale Modeler.

Like, why go beyond the edge of edgy for a figure of a seated man in athletic casual?

I think if you squint that it looks like he's shooting up--because it's a book of edgy dioramas.

I mean, the "loving hell" art installation already exists, just reference that if you want atrocity miniatures.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Over on RPGnet someone mentioned that one of the preview pictures on the product page was a diorama of the showers, but it seems to be missing from the product page previews now, from which I deduce that there’s some poo poo in that book and AK did some last minute changes to which images from inside they’re using to promote it.

EDIT: Oh, no. It's still there. Fourth preview image, after one of the wrecked car. So they're not actively removing preview material of the book itself in an attempt to make it seem less shocking in their online store.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 2, 2020

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Chiming in just to point out that in some countries that would literally be a crime.. Like if I did that I could go to prison.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

That Old Tree posted:

I'm sorry did you not see the broke down old car? This is some Real poo poo™.

The broke down car diorama is actually... kinda neat? If you look closely at it, it's an image of African women carrying water jugs, buckets, and jerry cans while walking down a road next to a heavily polluted ditch, and one of the women is looking at the ditch -- filled with polluted, unusable water --- with a "This is some bullshit" expression on her face. I am distrustful of my own positive reaction to it; as a diorama about pollution in Africa presumably made by people in Europe, it is probably the diorama equivalent of "Do They Know It's Christmas?". But a book of "socially critical" diorama content featuring nothing but stuff like that would not be completely loathesome. But they sandwiched it in the previews between a diorama of a dude shooting up and instructions on how to paint the walls of a Zyklon-B gas chamber while ensuring the correct grime tones on the gas feed pipes. So.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The cover art of that is public domain because it's in Esoteric Enterprises. (Or they stole it) Thank you mellonbread for pointing that out.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 2, 2020

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Elendil004 posted:

The cover art of that is public domain because it's in Esoteric Enterprises. (Or they stole it) Thank you mellonbread for pointing that out.
If you're going to repost things I say on the disky, you gotta include a little more context

On page 59 of Esoteric Enterprises, we find this image

It's got a filter and a bunch of other stuff on top of it, and it's horizontally flipped, but it's the same photo as the one used on the Condemnation cover.

Look at the blood spatter pattern on the mask.

I have no idea where the original image is ultimately from. But if it's in Esoteric Enterprises, it's public domain, because Cavegirl budgeted zero dollars for art.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
That probably means it's a stock photo from somewhere. I know someone else who used a brief "Sign up to our service now, and get license to use eight stock photos for your commerical products from our library of millions!" deal to do covers for a couple indie RPGs. Take the photo, run it through some filters, etc.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Stephenls posted:

That probably means it's a stock photo from somewhere. I know someone else who used a brief "Sign up to our service now, and get license to use eight stock photos for your commerical products from our library of millions!" deal to do covers for a couple indie RPGs. Take the photo, run it through some filters, etc.

Could be. I'm going off the disclaimer at the start of the book.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

mellonbread posted:

Could be. I'm going off the disclaimer at the start of the book.

Okay, your specific cite trumps outranks (goddamit that word is ruined forever now, isn't it?) my general idiosyncratic example. So it's a public domain photo that's being used like a stock photo, not an actual stock photo.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

nope Eastmabl is correct and I was dead wrong. LLCs are not corporations. Gonna leave that embarrassing evidence of correcting someone incorrectly up there for all to see.

To your credit, almost all corporations have what's called "limited liability." Thus, calling a corporation a "limited liability corporation" may be redundant, but it isn't wrong.

A corporation would need to use a state-approved designation that it's a corporation. For example, "___ Corporation," "___ Corp." or "___, Inc." are all fairly common uses.

"LLC" is the signifier of "limited liability company." It offers the limited liability from corporations without saddling the company with the burden of the corporate form.

For small businesses, like RPG publishers and FLGS, it helps shield business owners from losing their home in the event of business' bankruptcy.

Edit: also, I missed a bunch of pages.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
you'd think the cover image would be taken from the actual diorama work?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
From the DIY Scale Modeling discussion about AK:

boba fetacheese posted:

On a related note, I bought a copy of FAQ2 last month - the end of the bunch has pictures of Mig hanging out with different modelling clubs. The Virginia one features a guy in an SS tshirt. I guess he is just a big fan of history?! Real cool hobby I got myself into!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think in this guys case he's just a fan of Sugary Snacks.

... so I think that's it for AK for me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I loving hate everything so much, just straight up 'how do you kill rats? Poison' nazi ad for zyklon just to sell a book of lovely dioramas?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
From Doug Kovacs's Instagram

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Good aside from the tired Putin+Trump gay thing.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014
Any time I'm not focusing on the decapitated Trump head directly it reminds me of Wininie the Pooh

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I agree with the sentiment but it looks like something that would be painted on the side of a serial killer's van.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Roadie posted:

My Hero Academia, too.

Little Witch Academia is right there

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

From Doug Kovacs's Instagram

Last week this image (sans Kovacs' annotations) was used by Goodman Games in a Facebook post which literally just said people should register to vote. Nothing about who to vote for. And the comments were a poo poo show of chuds yelling about keeping politics out of gaming, and all the other greatest hits.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That makes this much better

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thefakenews posted:

Last week this image (sans Kovacs' annotations) was used by Goodman Games in a Facebook post which literally just said people should register to vote. Nothing about who to vote for. And the comments were a poo poo show of chuds yelling about keeping politics out of gaming, and all the other greatest hits.
oh dude that's even better, then.

e: OH GOD it's even BETTER, now that I am looking.

This one from a week before that generated almost no comments.

I wonder what could be different between these two images?!?!

e2: lmao, I read the comments and it seems like half of them are from a literal Greek Golden Dawn fascist. Wow.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 15, 2020

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm surprised the chuds hung around after

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

It's a shame that we tore down all the statues of the Three Fifths Compromise, the Thirteenth through Fifteenth Amendments, or the Women's Suffrage movement. They probably would remember just how many people whose representation the Founding Fathers fought for.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

alg posted:

I'm surprised the chuds hung around after

You'd be surprised at how many regressives continue to play, engage with, and consume media even when their themes and creators go directly against their values. Then again, I've enjoyed media that has had illiberal content (Dungeons & Dragons, Harry Potter, etc), so this isn't really a bad thing in and of itself as long as one keeps a critical eye. It becomes a problem when the toxic fans drive out everyone else.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
well yes it's also true the DCC is a book that has "Subhumans" as a listing in the Bestiary