Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

It wouldn't surprise me that the rumours of rebels are just rumours.

Lungboy posted:

The amendment won't be voted on until next tuesday. The talks of dozens of rebels is for the vote on the second reading I think.

Maybe. I'm not following things that closely tbh.

Here's Cicero stopping me from using my electronics.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Jedward have been a rare high point of 2020.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Grey Hunter posted:

It wouldn't surprise me that the rumours of rebels are just rumours.

I wasnt talking about Tory rebels

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lungboy posted:

Jedward have been a rare high point of 2020.

They were a rare high point all along. When the press dubbed them "Jedward" one of them asked why, was it really so hard to say "-ohn and"?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

CyberPingu posted:

I wasnt talking about Tory rebels

Oh, the kids not spreading it.
you may be right, I've not had chance to read anything recent, but viral shedding does seem to be reduced in much younger children.

EDIT
Okay, I've read the article showing that kids can pass covid around, and man is that a small sample size - while that doesn't automatically discount the paper, it makes me wary - like the "corona survives on surface for x hours" when the load they tested was the equivalent of someone coughing on an item about a hundred times.

As someone who works with scientists all the time, reproducibility is both the key and the fields biggest issue atm.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 14, 2020

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Kanye looking beatific with a red maga halo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

They were a rare high point all along. When the press dubbed them "Jedward" one of them asked why, was it really so hard to say "-ohn and"?

Because Jedward is only 2 syllables but John And Edward is 4.

I was thinking about syllables the other day. All policy documents should be delivered in words or phrases of not more than 2 syllables.

Day 17 of my 'no sugar* no grains diet'. *except naturally occurring in peas, carrots etc... lemon syllabub looks tasty.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 14, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

I think you can safely take the piss out of insanely rich MAGA egomaniac Kanye West without punching down.

taking the piss out of him for being a MAGA idiot is fine

taking the piss out of him for being black most definitely is not

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

I get the impression that Ed is a bit more on the ball. There's an episode of 8 out of 10 cats where - bearing in mind that they play it up for the cameras - John seems to be the one asking the dumber questions whereas by about halfway through, Edward is clearly done with being the butt of the jokes.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

SpaceCommie posted:

I had a quick think about other UK figures they could add and they absolutely are going to have an Owen Jones and or an Ash Sarkar puppet and they're going to be loving dreadful.

Owen Jones: small whiny child, but also homophobic somehow

Ash Sarkar: a distillation of the comments under all her Twitter posts

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bobstar posted:

An incredibly detailed puppet version of Zarah Sultana.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Bobstar posted:

Owen Jones: small whiny child, but also homophobic somehow

I think literally no one other than Twitter users and Guardian readers know who either of those people are, so it would be pretty surprising if they have puppets.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
You know it's not going to be BITING satire when Micheal Gove said he was "incredibly flattered" to be a spitting image puppet. Comedy is dead, liberals loving killed it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Double posting, but also:

Covid home testing report: The instructions are really complicated, the test is very hard to take, and they make you construct your own loving cardboard box to send it back in. I found it all pretty fiddly and frustrating, and feel like people with intellects less towering than my own will definitely struggle to do this properly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Preparing for flood season chat:

Given that my block of flats is alongside the river and while it has never been flooded in over 30 years (and shows as 'low flood risk' in the flooding maps), came close last October (a week after I completed purchase - haha) and within literally a handspan of breaching the retaining wall less than 10m away, I'm trying to make my flat as flood proof as possible (eg instead of the nice bookcases I originally planned to get, I've had twin track shelving installed today so books and papers can be high up out of the way).

Has anyone got any experience of those flat pack self-swelling 'sandbags' that don't have sand in?

EG

https://hydrabarrier.com/products/hydrasorber

I'm on a ground floor and have no spare storage space for 'proper' sandbags. There are a few proper sandbags for the block as a whole to go across the actual building entrances, so these would be like a 'back up plan' if it got bad, especially re the bathroom - some homes were 1m deep in water and people not back in their homes from the October floods before lockdown.

I was thinking to put one or two across my front door into the main hallway, and the bathroom door (and slap some heavy weights on top of the bog to hopefully stop sewage backflows coming up that way).

(Yes, I was a Girl Guide, why do you ask? Dib dib!)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Royal Astronomical Society say they think they've found evidence of microbes in the clouds of Venus, something to do with phosphene. Anyway, that's maybe cool

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Honestly Venus could be a sentient god planet I just don't have the energy to care.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

forkboy84 posted:

The Royal Astronomical Society say they think they've found evidence of microbes in the clouds of Venus, something to do with phosphene. Anyway, that's maybe cool

Has anyone warned them to avoid earth yet?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

Honestly Venus could be a sentient god planet I just don't have the energy to care.

A planet with life and no Tories excites me. Gonna go move to the upper atmosphere of Venus. Sure, you'd die pretty quickly and painfully but that's favourable to slowly and painfully here.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Venus is a big proponent of Hostlie Environment policy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Write your own captions.

"I agree with the government's policy of putting sticks in people's spokes, but they're not doing enough."

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

There's probably some extremophiles floating around up there, and they know this because they are releasing phosphine to replace for not having any oxygen to make CO2 with. The really interesting bits are in what this signifies - either life evolved up there (which I'd find insanely unlikely as it's such a hostile enviroment for complex biochemical to evolve from nothing). Or it's the remnants of what life used to live on Venus, before it became ths hell pit it is today. Either way, the value of a venus probe just shot up - if we could get samples of these things, it would be a huge moment in our understanding of biochemistry and the beginnings of life. Do these things even usr DNA or RNA? Are they even carbon based? How do they solve the myraid problems of living, and what do similarities and differences tell us about the origin of life?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

The Perfect Element posted:

Covid home testing report: The instructions are really complicated, the test is very hard to take,

R4's More or less reported that only around 1/3 of tests posted to people were actually processed.

Grey Hunter posted:

All I know is my kid has had five days of school in two weeks and is a much nicer person to be around, so I'm willing to take the chance on Covid to be honest.

The pubs should never have been opened, and that's where the real spread is going on. The schools haven't been open long enough for anyone to show symptoms they caught there, all this rise is from the pubs!

The Covid app research data shows high levels of infection in age groups 0-9 and 10-19. Only 20 somethings have a higher rate, and not by that much. It's not just pubs.

And since I have teachers in my family I'm not thrilled about your willingness to risk their lives

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, kids still transmit the disease, they just don't tend to show symptoms. Hence why piling them back into schools is such an insanely risky thing to do.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Double posting, but also:

Covid home testing report: The instructions are really complicated, the test is very hard to take, and they make you construct your own loving cardboard box to send it back in. I found it all pretty fiddly and frustrating, and feel like people with intellects less towering than my own will definitely struggle to do this properly.

Maybe that is the test, what with one of Covid's symptoms being mental impairment. If you can get all the way to the end you're negative and we can discard your test when you post it back to us.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I think literally no one other than Twitter users and Guardian readers know who either of those people are, so it would be pretty surprising if they have puppets.

I'm fairly sure twitter melts is going to be their target demo tbh.

josh04 posted:

An incredibly detailed puppet version of Zarah Sultana.

:hmmyes:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

anyone who thinks for 20 seconds about it knows that small kids will obviously spread the living poo poo out of covid

but thats the point of the government advice and all these "expert studies" saying masks spread coronavirus etc, to make it so people don't think for 20 seconds

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My sister has to keep the tap in the basin in the upstairs bathroom* dripping slightly because her kitty (who looks like your kitty) will only drink water from that tap and jumps in the basin to do so.  (Of course, when sister &co are away kitty will drink from an official water bowl.)
* she has a downstairs 'cloakroom' hence my reference to 'upstairs'. Else :guillotine:
There's a reason why cats do that!They are conditioned to seek out moving sources of water to drink over stagnant ones, believing that it will be fresher. Thus why they like drinking from taps. You can even buy mini water fountains for cats to drink from.
I also know the pain of a cat who doesn't believe in your right to go to the bathroom in privacy. My second cat, Lara Crofft Cat does it all the time.What's worse is she is a strong chonk who has learnt to open doors with her teeth. There is no escape from her.

(Lara is the black and white one on the right. Her sister, Amy Whinehouse, is on the left.)

Ms Adequate posted:

Partly that but I think also, at least partly, because it would ultimately be better for everyone if the UK remained inside the tent pissing out on all the developing countries and so on. There might be some profit to be made divvying up whatever the Tories can sell, but it's still going to be a fractious and unpredictable project, and it'd be much easier for everyone involved if the UK would have done a less insane Brexit where we stayed broadly aligned with EU regulations, bodies, etc. and were able to bring our still-considerable weight to bear in A) Holding our own against other major economic powers (i.e. the US and China) and B) maintaining the exploitation of the less powerful in a steady manner.
(I also suspect there's still some entrenched disbelief that the UK, who was long regarded in EU matters as somewhat standoffish but ultimately sensible and tractible by most of our peers*, is acting in such an obviously self-destructive manner with such intense zeal. Rightly or wrongly we had managed to convince a lot of other people that the British political and monied elite might be arseholes, but we were predictable arseholes who acted with circumspection and had little desire to rock any boats, let alone capsize our own.)
* I just realized I described the UK as tsundere
I know I quote it a lot, but it's just that scene from the Inbetweeners all over again.

(The EU to the UK)
EU: All this time we thought you were really smart. It turns out you just have a posh accent, but are as thick as the rest of us.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 14, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

A planet with life and no Tories excites me. Gonna go move to the upper atmosphere of Venus. Sure, you'd die pretty quickly and painfully but that's favourable to slowly and painfully here.

Venus is an example of a planet that has suffered an extreme runaway greenhouse effect climate, so it's probably ALL Tories.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Comrade Fakename posted:

Venus is an example of a planet that has suffered an extreme runaway greenhouse effect climate, so it's probably ALL Tories.

Even the microbes vote Tory here, son.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Fully anticipate people advocating for human bacteria to be shot directly into the biome so that 'both sides can be fairly represented.'

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

graun/politics/2020/sep/14/keir-starmer-to-miss-crucial-brexit-debate-due-to-self-isolation-coronavirus

quote:

The Labour party leader, Keir Starmer, will miss Monday’s crucial Brexit debate in the House of Commons because he is self-isolating while a member of his household awaits the result of a Covid-19 test.

MPs are set to debate the government’s internal market bill, which includes clauses ministers have conceded would break international law if enacted. But a Labour spokesperson said Starmer would not be participating in the debate.

Starmer has toed a careful line on Brexit since becoming Labour leader, insisting last December’s general election result meant the issue was resolved, and urging the government to focus on tackling the pandemic.

Am I just TOO suspicious?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

There's a reason why cats do that!They are conditioned to seek out moving sources of water to drink over stagnant ones, believing that it will be fresher.

I keep seeing this but my cat will quite happily drink horribly stagnant green water out of the small pond in the garden but will completely ignore the bowl of fresh water next to his food

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Fully anticipate people advocating for human bacteria to be shot directly into the biome so that 'both sides can be fairly represented.'
Businesses discover that the Venus bacteria will allow them to make expensive pharmaceuticals out of water on earth at the expense of causing the planet to become a hell that rains sulfuric acid in 20 years, order 15 million.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, kids still transmit the disease, they just don't tend to show symptoms. Hence why piling them back into schools is such an insanely risky thing to do.

And isn't it also the case that even for kids, and even for cases without symptoms, it can still totally gently caress your heart (and other organs?) up?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lot of people walking out of the supermarket across from my house today with massive bundles of toilet roll under their arms.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhatEvil posted:

And isn't it also the case that even for kids, and even for cases without symptoms, it can still totally gently caress your heart (and other organs?) up?
It is highly possible.

That's at the thankfully rare extreme end of the wedge, but there's a bunch of very recent (and partially speculative, but still) research claims that there's a far higher chance of it damaging your heart in the long run even in some 'mild' cases.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Julio Cruz posted:

I keep seeing this but my cat will quite happily drink horribly stagnant green water out of the small pond in the garden but will completely ignore the bowl of fresh water next to his food

There's a second factor. Which is they prefer moving water, but when it comes to non moving water they favour rain water (even stagnant pond water) over tap water where they smell chlorine.

I have gotten one of those cat fountains to see if my cats will go for it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ed just murdered the Pm on live tele.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

serious gaylord posted:

Ed just murdered the Pm on live tele.

Sadly I fear you don't mean Ed Gein.