Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ineptitude posted:

Where are the good sources of information for Median XL?

Im reading the bowzon guide on their forum and theres quite a lot of unexplained info.

E.g. it states to craft a reflex bow. When googling median xl crafting there is a cube recipe list but no mention of crafting items (crafted items are items with orange text right?)

In the milestones section it states
"Get Cain armor and all the early game runewords in act1.
"el" armor | "nef" staff | "eth" belt | "ith" boots | "ral" helm | "tal" reflex bow (gamble bow base at lvl 17 → oil of renewal → jewel for socket)."

What is "Cain armor"?
Why should i get cain armor if i should also get "("el" armor)" ?
Why would i want a nef staff if i am a bowzon?
Are all these runewords, e.g. i need a grey item, or do i put these runes in any item with a socket?

Median xl forums have a huge amount of info, their wiki is also good and there are some decent youtube videos. Also one of the bowazon guides is insanely in depth about everything and is pretty much a full guide to median xl in it's own right.

https://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=54212 2nd post on there is where all the detail is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I now nothing about Median XL, but don't ignore rune word weapons just because the base doesn't fit your build. If it provides some passive bonus outside of doing damage, it might be worth having it as your swap weapon.

In "classic" D2 LoD games: if I'm playing a summon necro or druid, I try to make a Harmony rune word bow ASAP. Getting a good +summon skill weapon/shield is your first priority, but Harmony is a really cheap RW to make, and gives you (and your minions) a huge move speed bonus. You could put the Harmony bow on an act 1 merc, but I'd much rather have an act 2 merc with their built-in aura that is more combat focused.

Harmony RW bow is a poor man's teleport. It makes you go very fast from point A to point B, and that's good enough for me.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Where are the good sources of information for Median XL?

Im reading the bowzon guide on their forum and theres quite a lot of unexplained info.

E.g. it states to craft a reflex bow. When googling median xl crafting there is a cube recipe list but no mention of crafting items (crafted items are items with orange text right?)

In the milestones section it states
"Get Cain armor and all the early game runewords in act1.
"el" armor | "nef" staff | "eth" belt | "ith" boots | "ral" helm | "tal" reflex bow (gamble bow base at lvl 17 → oil of renewal → jewel for socket)."

What is "Cain armor"?
Why should i get cain armor if i should also get "("el" armor)" ?
Why would i want a nef staff if i am a bowzon?
Are all these runewords, e.g. i need a grey item, or do i put these runes in any item with a socket?

Cain armour is likely referring to the stuff Griswold drops in Tristram.

Runewords are made by filling up all but the last socket with jewels then dropping the Rune into the white socketed base.

The median xl doc page has a cube recipes section that is very good to have

https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/items/cube

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 19, 2020

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Apparently enter and chat only works when it wants to.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Plague Javelin has a F'n cool down on it!? WTF

Does anyone have the 1.13 patch so I can use PlugY?

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 21, 2020

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Didn't Buriza have guided arrow on it?

edit: I got one and no guided arrow.

Edit2:okay it is piercing and no guided arrow - sucks to be a javazon.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 22, 2020

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Lightning javazon requires a lot of top tier gear to do well, but if you can find/afford it you will be clearing screens as fast as you can run. An ethereal Titan or Tstroke weapon is the most important piece, but the rest of your gear is going to be expensive as well.

I remember long ago playing with my friend that had a near fully geared javazon. When we did 8 player hellcows, I could barely keep up to see the corpses falling on my screen.

Poison javazon is in the same spot as poison corpse explode necro. You can do ludicrous damage on paper, but in actual game play you are better off doing almost any other build with that class.

If you are leveling as a javazon, charged strike is the poo poo. Clears screenfuls of regular enemies fast, and also does decent damage to bosses.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Lightning javazon requires a lot of top tier gear to do well, but if you can find/afford it you will be clearing screens as fast as you can run. An ethereal Titan or Tstroke weapon is the most important piece, but the rest of your gear is going to be expensive as well.

I remember long ago playing with my friend that had a near fully geared javazon. When we did 8 player hellcows, I could barely keep up to see the corpses falling on my screen.

Poison javazon is in the same spot as poison corpse explode necro. You can do ludicrous damage on paper, but in actual game play you are better off doing almost any other build with that class.

If you are leveling as a javazon, charged strike is the poo poo. Clears screenfuls of regular enemies fast, and also does decent damage to bosses.

Hybrid javazon is actually pretty good though, because there is nothing - NOTHING - that's immune to all your sources of damage. Charged/Fury/Poison/Plague, rest of points are for passive tree and wherever you want, Jab can deal with the extremely rare instance of a lightning/poison immune, just keep something with crushing blow on your gear. Charged strike devours bosses.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
All this talk of Diablo II is making me want another round of D2ES Goontopia server. Its been almost 3 years I think. Help us Garfu, you're our only hope!

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Nosthula posted:

All this talk of Diablo II is making me want another round of D2ES Goontopia server. Its been almost 3 years I think. Help us Garfu, you're our only hope!

My sleeping infant dabs on you

I blame her.

However... the discord is still around and it's certainly possible.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
That is an adorable picture. I hop in the discord occasionally. Was about to hop in there to post the same thing but apparently my SA summoning spell worked. I know at some point Goontopia 3.0 will rise like the phoneix from the ashes. I will patiently wait until then. I have a copy of the server you gave me still running on my computer but its not as fun without other people.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
:captainpop:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
If the kid is sleeping, that's plenty of time for you to set the server back up, I don't see the issue

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So I have never played any loot based isometric RPG but I do own Diablo 1 and 2 because of sales. I've been thinking recently I want to try the genre and since I have no experience I feel like I can go back D1/2. But is Diablo 1 actually worth playing now or should I just skip to 2?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My introduction to the series started with 2 and by doing that you won't want to go back to 1. It plays so much slower that will make it difficult IMO.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I felt Diablo 1 had a better loot progression system if you just play it through once, single player because you can get items from vendors, or monsters, or quests. Gold is limited and valuable in a way that it just isn't past the very very start of D2. That said, it is a very old game at this point, and you can feel that in some decisions they made. There is a few huge jumps in difficulty that depending on your RNG can't be overcome with skill, just grinding. By contrast, Diablo 2 still feels like a modern game (ok, 800x600 hurts that).

I think you can do them in any order, and as much as I love D1, I think starting with D2 and then if you love it going back to D1 later is your best path.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Get the Diablo 1 HD mod, it runs great on modern systems with no headaches https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/download

You have to copy some files off the CD/installation media but it should tell you what to do on the site

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

If the kid is sleeping, that's plenty of time for you to set the server back up, I don't see the issue

:hmmyes:

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Oh totally forgot to ask about using Hellfire for Diablo 1. Yay or nay?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Lucinice posted:

Oh totally forgot to ask about using Hellfire for Diablo 1. Yay or nay?

The two new areas are fun diversions, and you get a neat amulet that lets you have 10K gold in each pile on you.

But it's not mandatory, and it screws with the game's pacing. Still, it's more Diablo; I would use it if it's available. Most mods don't really use Hellfire.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Didn't Hellfire enable 'running' in town? if it did it would be worth it for that alone.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Yeah, it let you speed up the move animation in town by x2.

But that made the duping trick much harder to pull off!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Diablo Hellfire added 3 new classes (the barbarian was my D1 fav by far), a new zone/episode with 8 levels. 4 levels of bugs and slime then 4 levels of catacombs. The catacombs are the best visuals in the game imo.
Several new spells like immolation and apocalypse (apoc was technically not new but Hellfire added it as a book, iirc)
Lots of qol features like double running speed, 10k gold stacks, much better gear from Wirt, easier to get books from Akara.

Back when it released Hellfire was well worth the money, but nowadays with so many mods available for every game and how used people are to getting gigantic mods with enormous amount of content for free i’d say Hellfire does have a less strong position

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

A caveat would be that Hellfire only officially added one class: the Monk. The others have to be edited in as I recall.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

They are there with the base install of Hellfire, you just need to add them in a .cfg (iirc) file in the install directory

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ineptitude posted:

They are there with the base install of Hellfire, you just need to add them in a .cfg (iirc) file in the install directory

I know, that’s what I mean. Edited in.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Alright, i thought you meant they had to be added with a mod (i.e. they won't be available if you mod Hellfire with another mod)

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
It took me a while to get this PlugY thing working. I basically just now have my official install that I can play on BNet (that always seems to be down on East) and the PlugY that I play single player with the old 1.13D patch and can share with all of my offline characters - YAY!

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

Diablo Hellfire added 3 new classes (the barbarian was my D1 fav by far), a new zone/episode with 8 levels. 4 levels of bugs and slime then 4 levels of catacombs. The catacombs are the best visuals in the game imo.
Several new spells like immolation and apocalypse (apoc was technically not new but Hellfire added it as a book, iirc)
Lots of qol features like double running speed, 10k gold stacks, much better gear from Wirt, easier to get books from Akara.

Back when it released Hellfire was well worth the money, but nowadays with so many mods available for every game and how used people are to getting gigantic mods with enormous amount of content for free i’d say Hellfire does have a less strong position

I have the GOG copy of Diablo 1 which came with Hellfire so it's not like something being free is going to stop me from playing Hellfire.

Really the biggest reason right now I see now to play Hellfire is that the base game got more bug fixes than Hellfire did.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The 10k gold stacks are with amulet equipped only lmfao

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Really?

I remember the 10k stacks but not an amulet

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Really?

I remember the 10k stacks but not an amulet

Yeah, it's an amulet. Remember to pick up all your phat stacks before changing difficulty or resetting!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Also you will explode if you take it off with your inventory filled with gold.

Having gold take up inventory space becomes a HORRIBLE idea once you're high enough level to enter and survive in Hell.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Tchernobog Belzebub mod has a shared stash, and is generally a good time I find.

https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/

It cracked open unused material and made it playable, like that one house with an open door actually does something now!

E:

Tchernobog is the still developing multiplayer mod, which does not have the quests.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 29, 2020

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Started getting that familiar itch that only Diablo II can satiate. The need to level up my mediocre character until I hit some break point and then I'm just clearing screens of demons and Getting That Loot.

Reinstalled the Diablo Resurgence stuff. There are a lot of steps, and if I hadn't played there before it would have been an absolute slog of an install. I was able to play after like 5 minutes of loving around, but then spent like 20 minutes changing my settings to make it look nice on a modern widescreen/HD monitor.

So anyway, I started blasting. Fire sorc is a great build in vanilla D2 and Resurgence to bootstrap your way to the late game and try to get some good drops for your "real" character.

I played B.net D2 for like a decade, and have played Slashdiablo/Resurgence for like 3 years on and off. Today, I saw a SoJ drop for the first time ever. And I got it. Real excited to run this poo poo into the ground and hope for more Sick Loots

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Not a ton of people playing in Resurgence right now, but once I hit Hell difficulty they showed up and showered me with items, craft materials, and build suggestions for the late game.

My big break was activating a Nephalem's Valor charm. It's similar to getting your Hellfire Torch from uber portals. Gives you a huge jump in damage and survivablility. Each class has 3-4 variants and you get to pick which one you want. I chose Arcanist for my sorceress. I get to summon 3 swords that do 100 damage for each level of the mastery skill per tree. I already had fire mastery maxed, and my act 3 merc has an aura the lowers enemy fire resist. I can very slowly but surely clear the endgame lvl 92+ areas with just my swords.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Beat Diablo 1 today and now I'm moving onto D2. What are good newbie classes? I have no idea who I want to play.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Physical damage (melee/ranged) are really dependent on having a good weapon for your level. Your weapon is the source of your damage, and skills amplify the damage that your weapon does and add cool effects.

Spellcasters are more item-independent, the skill that you put points into is the source of your damage. You want to find gear with +skills or faster cast rate to amplify the damage that your skill does.

When you reach act 2, get one of the mercenaries. They have a passive aura (like the paladin's skills) that can benefit you. Press O to look at your merc's gear. If you can deck them out with unique body armor/helm and keep updating their weapon as you level, they are great help.

My favorite D2 class is summon necromancer. Put 1 point into the Amplify Damage curse, then max out Skeleton/Skeleton Mastery and you will be able to cruise through normal and nightmare mode while your bony henchmen do all the work. If you are getting bored put points into Corpse Explosion to speed things up, it does big damage and more points increase the AoE. It's a very mana expensive skill though.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Physical damage (melee/ranged) are really dependent on having a good weapon for your level. Your weapon is the source of your damage, and skills amplify the damage that your weapon does and add cool effects.

Spellcasters are more item-independent, the skill that you put points into is the source of your damage. You want to find gear with +skills or faster cast rate to amplify the damage that your skill does.

When you reach act 2, get one of the mercenaries. They have a passive aura (like the paladin's skills) that can benefit you. Press O to look at your merc's gear. If you can deck them out with unique body armor/helm and keep updating their weapon as you level, they are great help.

My favorite D2 class is summon necromancer. Put 1 point into the Amplify Damage curse, then max out Skeleton/Skeleton Mastery and you will be able to cruise through normal and nightmare mode while your bony henchmen do all the work. If you are getting bored put points into Corpse Explosion to speed things up, it does big damage and more points increase the AoE. It's a very mana expensive skill though.

Summon necro is definitely the best class to start off with as it's the most gear-independent, reliable class in the game. It'll never kill super-quickly, but it will kill, and it's got essentially infinite survivability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lucinice posted:

Beat Diablo 1 today and now I'm moving onto D2. What are good newbie classes? I have no idea who I want to play.
I'd pick based on (1) the experience you want, (2) the class you think is coolest, (3) your tolerance for tedium, (4) how much research you plan on doing while playing, and (5) whether you plan on playing after beating all 3 difficulties.

How blind do you plan on going in? If really blind then:
  • Trap Assassin - fast, smooth curve the whole way, intuitive skill tree, maybe a little boring on the gameplay side if you really cheese
  • Barb - smooth power curve, weapons and having to get in melee range make this a very different experience than the other choices
  • Necro (summon or ce or pnb) - not fast, pretty smooth gameplay experience anyway, fairly unique class
  • Elemental Druid - fairly smooth power curve, will die a bit more than on some of the other choices but that's not necessarily a bad thing

Tolerance for tedium comes in on the following list. Both of these picks start out really rough but then explode into powerful characters at some point. If you plan on skipping through some speedrun videos & looking up some items to get an idea of how to play the game & are committed to playing through then you could add in:
  • Sorc - Archaic systems initially inflict suffering. A few massive, fun power spikes along the way until you are one of the strongest classes in the game (& you have the best mobility).
  • Hammerdin - Dreadful starting out, when it comes online it can murder everything. It also has okay mobility. But it's extremely fidgety, and I wouldn't pick this unless you really want to be a paladin & spin some hammers. Can't stress enough that this has the worst starting experience in the game & the worst power curve of all classes that's only redeemed by the end of it being "you deal peerless damage and are very tanky".

My new player generic recommendation would be trapsin. It's just smooth all the way through, solid mobility, really strong on p1 but can scale into higher player counts, and it's not item or knowledge dependent. It can complete the entire game 3x-4x faster than summon necro, is faster at magic finding, and is about as easy to play.

Barb, necro, ele druid in no particular order also have a decent new player experience.

Sorc eventually has a better experience than most of those choices, but the starting experience of sorc (especially for blind play) is bad enough that people might quit the game or reroll to another class. Sorc has a large burden of knowledge and is probably a better second or third character for most.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 10, 2020