Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I don’t think over ever seen a prime minister look so useless and pathetic before. He can’t even justify his own bill he’s trying to pass. Dear god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The absolute worst commute I ever had was working a job I took out of pure desperation on one of the islands in the Forth, where 3/4 days a week I had to leave my flat in Glasgow at like 4.30/5am, catch the megabus to Edinburgh so I got in for about 6.30, get the bus along to Granton where I had a boat to catch between 7 and 7.30, so we'd be on the island for between 8 and 8.30 and set up for visitors from 9. Usually I'd get home for maybe 8.30/9pm if I was lucky but once the boss decided to spring on us that we had a wedding party coming and I didn't get back that night till almost 11. Tbh for what I was getting paid I'd have laughed at them and walked but that's hard to do when you're literally surrounded by water and their boat is the only way home. Thankfully I was only doing that a month or so before I found something better because jesus loving christ.

e: One of the benefits of this job is it taught me how to fake megabus codes very convincingly and I basically stopped paying to get between glasgow and edinburgh for years and wasn't caught out once.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

The absolute worst commute I ever had was working a job I took out of pure desperation on one of the islands in the Forth
Poorly worded programming job advert?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My partner contracted at Vodafone in Newbury for a few months, and one of his coworkers commuted in from Poland a few times a week. Fly in early to Heathrow, pop along the M4, be in for the day or sometimes two, fly back in the evening. Apparently flights were so cheap, it made sense for them to come in that way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had a brief duration where I had a four hour commute each way through several bus routes to complete 15 minutes of work at the other end because the person who worked at the other end didn't want to do the extremely easy job.

I did, however, do it on the condition I would get paid for the travel time and expenses, so I actually made out quite well from the arrangement, I got paid to sit on a bus all day with occasional intermissions of waiting on tubwell road in darlington which was pretty dire but still worth the money.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

My partner contracted at Vodafone in Newbury for a few months, and one of his coworkers commuted in from Poland a few times a week. Fly in early to Heathrow, pop along the M4, be in for the day or sometimes two, fly back in the evening. Apparently flights were so cheap, it made sense for them to come in that way.

a friend of mine works in IT for a multinational bank and they have contractors there who "live" in Spain during the weekends and in a Travelodge during the week

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I knew someone who commuted from Manchester to London most days, which seemed insane until I realised his commute (as he was in walking distance of the station at both ends) lasted about as long as another friend who commuted from just outside of Wigan to Manchester.

I live in Wigan and can attest. On some days it’s faster to the London office than the Manchester office. But I work from home now and rather do neither.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

I don’t think over ever seen a prime minister look so useless and pathetic before. He can’t even justify his own bill he’s trying to pass. Dear god
And as a tweet posted a few pages ago asked, what does it say about the absolute state of this country that he is still in the job?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
There are people here in Cork city that commute to Dublin 250km away.
6am train, land in Dublin 8.30-9.30, and back on the 6/7/8pm one.
The wifi is decent, so you see some starting work on the train itself.

And Sky News are shiiiiiiiiitttt.
Biggest brexit vote in 2 hours and their main news stories are fires in brazil (5 min report because they have a reporter there sounding sad), a clip of Trump saying how trees fall over and water doesn't flow through them, and a photo collection of the lockdown is unveiled!
Yay, lets all show someone in a spiderman costume in his garden!
Hard hitting journalism.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Ok yay kitties but I am in awe of your book arrangement.

Good eye. Yes my wife arranged our book shelf that way.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

And as a tweet posted a few pages ago asked, what does it say about the absolute state of this country that he is still in the job?

the party of serial grifters and charlatans voted a man who is so stupid, inept and incompetent he's been rewarded for failing at every job post he's ever held and didn't expect he'd have to do anything but make peculiar wet lip smacking noises and fart sounds to get votes. But they're also not gonna get rid of him because that means appointing someone even more stupid and incompetent who can win the votes next election.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I used to commute Bristol to Reading every day (with certain weeks being Bristol to Heathrow) for three years. It nearly killed me mentally and I cannot stand getting in a car or driving any more.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

any other opposition would be 20 points ahead

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

any other opposition would be 20 points ahead

The sun, Mail, times and telegraph: BUT CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING: JEREMY CORBYN LIKED A TWEET ONCE!!! PLEASE IGNORE THAT A FORMER TORY MP WAS JUST KICKED OUT OF THE LIB DEMS FOR PEDDLING ANTI-SEMITIC CONSPIRACY THEORIES ABOUT JACK STRAW DURING A PREVIOUS ELECTION!!!!!!!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
All this commuter chat's giving me anxiety :(

My current workplace is 4 feet from my bed and I've come to prefer it that way.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
When I worked in Staines and didn't drive, my commute to work consisted of: leave the house at 6:45; get the 7:09 train from Burnham to Slough (4 minutes); wait at Slough for the 7:30 to Windsor and Eton Central (6 minutes); walk from Central to Riverside; get the 8:04 from Riverside to Staines (12 minutes); walk the mile and a half to work. I was fit, but good lord, getting a car and being able to have 90 minutes extra sleep was a godsend

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
My worst commute was when I lived seven minutes from work because my line manager was an utter psycho and I woke up everyday, late, and in an utter paralysing panic thinking that I’d be fired and then shot and left homeless or something.

I was living in a bright clean converted church but it cost too much and if I’d lost even a weeks wages I’d be hosed.

Anxiety can ruin everything!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's one bus to work with a five minute walk either end, but while it's twenty minutes now, in rush hour during the before times that bus could last ninety goddamn minutes on bad days. Don't miss that at all.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I suppose long commutes where you aren't driving are probably more bearable if you remember that gives you enough time to do a decent bit of reading, or watch something, or play an hour of Factorio on the train.

Like, not exactly great, but probably not a total sacrifice of all free time, either.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Due to the joys of semi-rural bus timetables, my technically longest commute was a 35 minute bus journey, followed by 45 minutes twiddling my thumbs waiting for the place to open. The next bus would have me there 25 minutes late. I used to get through a lot of books.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like my ten-minute bike ride through central London. I've only been knocked off it a handful of times.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I think my longest commute was when I was a school boy.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I lived literally next to the school which inevitably meant I was always late.

Current commute is walk downstairs to computer, which also means I am always late.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Aidan_702 posted:

My worst commute was when I lived seven minutes from work because my line manager was an utter psycho and I woke up everyday, late, and in an utter paralysing panic thinking that I’d be fired and then shot and left homeless or something.

I was living in a bright clean converted church but it cost too much and if I’d lost even a weeks wages I’d be hosed.

Anxiety can ruin everything!

For a while I was working 5 minutes walk from home and drove in every morning* to save having to pay for a residents parking permit.

*Something that actually took longer, because it was a air-cooled VW (Type 3 Fastback if anyone's keeping notes) that had been buggered around with quite a bit and so was stupendously cold-blooded, needing a few minutes on choke before it would even deign to pull away, and the tiny steering wheel, big fat tyres off a camper van, and lack of power steering meant that I probably burned more calories getting it into the company multi-storey than I would have had I walked. Then I swapped it for a Laverda, and so got used to walking everywhere.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like you'd have been better with a Trabant if you wanted air cooled poor performance and noise. You halved the number of wheels instead of the number of strokes.

(I am sad that the electric Trabant never got anywhere. The simple fact that Top Gear types were mocking it with poo poo like "when you start using phrases like 'absolutely sufficient' when discussing a Trabant, you could be mistaken for the spokesman at Red Oktober Tractor Factory No. 16" made me want one.)

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I haven't been tracking Brexit stuff for a while, but from what I can determine:
1. No trade deals are in the making, which I assume means WTO only as of Jan 1 (not sure of the date)?
2. PM is trying to pass some kinda thing with regard to the Northern Ireland peace treaty that's illegal, and likely to blow up any trade deal with the US & EU

Is that about right? If so what happens on Jan 1? Does everything just fall off a cliff? When does reality collapse for the UK?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I had a job that involved two buses and a tram and lasted between 1-2 hours depending on traffic. A week after I quit the bus route was changed so the bus when directly from my flat to the office.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've heard, reliable source (ex MP), tomorrow's govt covid meeting is discussing a 9pm curfew. Sage want it, ministers don't.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've heard, reliable source (ex MP), tomorrow's govt covid meeting is discussing a 9pm curfew. Sage want it, ministers don't.

Curfews seem bad for a lot of reasons but wouldn't one of the major problems be that you're going to herd people together out of sight? How is people out on the street a problem?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Dunno. That was just me quoting a message in a group WhatsApp by the way. I don't actually consider an ex MP a reliable source.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like you'd have been better with a Trabant if you wanted air cooled poor performance and noise. You halved the number of wheels instead of the number of strokes.

(I am sad that the electric Trabant never got anywhere. The simple fact that Top Gear types were mocking it with poo poo like "when you start using phrases like 'absolutely sufficient' when discussing a Trabant, you could be mistaken for the spokesman at Red Oktober Tractor Factory No. 16" made me want one.)

I do detest people making fun of my spokespeople.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Curfew is so they can lock up protestors. Prove me wrong.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Mate that Type 3 had ~Porsche performance parts~ on it, don't lump it in with a Trabant. (Those parts were a gearbox housing and a downdraft carb from an air-cooled 911 - there was still a far amount of commonality of parts up until the seventies)

The Laverda was water-cooled most of the time (a hole in the radiator caused by an extremely poorly-positioned fairing fastener accounting for the rest of the time) although the Trabant could probably outperform it if you averaged it out over a long enough time given the amount of things that broke on the fucker.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
9pm is a stupid time to have a curfew, people are still on their way home from work by then

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think my longest commute was when I was a school boy.

Yeah I commuted an hour plus to school.

My current commute when I'm not working from home is 30 to 40 minutes depending on how knackered I am, on foot. I don't really count it much because it's exercise and music and both those things are nice to have some time for.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

Curfew is so they can lock up protestors. Prove me wrong.

Why do sage wants to lock up protestors and ministers don't?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I'm not entirely sure what the point of a curfew at 9pm is. It's getting darker now, so by 9pm everyone is generally indoors or in gardens. Maybe it'll stop the bars and pubs opening late but like... just close the bars and the pubs.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

EvilHawk posted:

I'm not entirely sure what the point of a curfew at 9pm is. It's getting darker now, so by 9pm everyone is generally indoors or in gardens. Maybe it'll stop the bars and pubs opening late but like... just close the bars and the pubs.

A curfew on business? Hahaha, please.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You're not allowed outside after 9pm. So if you're already in a pub you can stay there, but God help you if you try to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

stev posted:

You're not allowed outside after 9pm. So if you're already in a pub you can stay there, but God help you if you try to leave.

COVID-19-2 - From Lockdown to Lock-in.