Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

RYYSZLA posted:

Now that I've figured out that ADAD spam works like 2014-era pre-momentum nerf CSGO, firefights in this game became 100x easier.

I dont doubt I spend most of the time i'm visible on enemies screens floating around corners a moment after my bullets already hit them. Gloriously janky.

yeah its a terrible cqb shooting game but its good for medium range stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Gabriel S. posted:

How'd they fix this problem in CSGO?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think even in arcade shooters like CSGO and COD have some form of inertia built in (i.e. you can still strafe but you can't just go left to right on a dime, there's a bit of weight added to the movement)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Oysters Autobio posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think even in arcade shooters like CSGO and COD have some form of inertia built in (i.e. you can still strafe but you can't just go left to right on a dime, there's a bit of weight added to the movement)

This is right. Valorant does the same thing.

There's two things modern twitch shooters do to stop ADAD spam that I'm aware of;

1. When you move, there is momentum applied that forces your character to slow down before you can go back in the other direciton. This means there is a period of vulnerability at the peak of your strafe as you will effectively be stationary regardless of how quickly you move.
2. your aim goes to poo poo when you start moving, and even though momentum forces your character to slow down, your aim does not recover, so when jiggle peaking you effectively are running for the purposes of aiming your gun

tarkov doesn't do either of things, that I am aware of, so there's no disadvantage to jiggle peaking every door and it gets pretty dumb in certain situations. We had to duel a shotgun player scav for what felt like eternity because he just kept jiggle peaking this one door and we couldn't reliably hit him, we also couldn't rush him without one of us getting blown away, so we just had to keep spraying the door and eventually one of us smacked him in the head out of sheer luck.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Second day back on tarkov, and just murdered a level 44 in the third of three S raids. Still got it. :bustem:

I will note that I penetrated his lv 4 high ricochet helmet with my 5.45 PP ammo... While it's good, it's supposed to have 30 pen power. I got lucky right? I don't think it's a face shot because the armour took damage.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

EmuTarkov is da bomb. Set AI amount to "horde" and just run around an absolute war zone popping scavs.

Yes I suck at PvP, PvE is way more fun!

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Gabriel S. posted:

How'd they fix this problem in CSGO?

My take, the more jittering you do the more stamina you lose.

multiple iterations of adjustments to core mechanics that affect it, but they can't fix it only mitigate it as certain weapons are built entirely around it - pistols for examples, awps. People who are really good can still ADAD with any weapon, it just takes skill to not walk straight into a bullet anymore. Proper inertia/momentum was part of it.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Jarf posted:

EmuTarkov is da bomb. Set AI amount to "horde" and just run around an absolute war zone popping scavs.

Yes I suck at PvP, PvE is way more fun!

That sounds like fun. Are they unlimited spawns in horde mode or just "theres a LOT but you can kill them all eventually"?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

ChesterJT posted:

That sounds like fun. Are they unlimited spawns in horde mode or just "theres a LOT but you can kill them all eventually"?

They spawn in waves. I have the server console open on my second monitor and occasionally you'll some more spawns appear.

It spawns AI PMCs too.

Plus I have the raid length set to like 16 hours lol. I'm having a blast with it.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

My city is in lockdown, and I built a new PC, new peripherals and all. Friends put me on to Tarkov two or three weeks ago, been playing anywhere from like two to six hours a day.

Wrist had been feeling a little tight after sessions, but I ignored it (v smart). Woke up last night, wrist is stolen behind thumb and forefinger and my whole forearm hurts.

So not only am I dying 4/5 times to absolute BULLSHIT, but now I appear to have given myself carpal tunnel... But I still want to play (I mean I literally can't, but... I still want to...).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Hocus Pocus posted:

My city is in lockdown, and I built a new PC, new peripherals and all. Friends put me on to Tarkov two or three weeks ago, been playing anywhere from like two to six hours a day.

Wrist had been feeling a little tight after sessions, but I ignored it (v smart). Woke up last night, wrist is stolen behind thumb and forefinger and my whole forearm hurts.

So not only am I dying 4/5 times to absolute BULLSHIT, but now I appear to have given myself carpal tunnel... But I still want to play (I mean I literally can't, but... I still want to...).

Goons will let you watch them play

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
In case anyone was wondering, the MP-153 with AP-20 is still the best Rubles/fun ratio in all of Tarkov

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Are there still no news about Steam? I am such an old fart, the thought of not having a game on Steam is very bleh.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
ivan aint about to give steam a cut of the money

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That is what I am worried about. I might buy the game anyway but in that case I would be worried about not getting it on Steam one day as an account link.

Is it possible to have both USEC and BEAR characters? or is it a choice?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Vahakyla posted:

That is what I am worried about. I might buy the game anyway but in that case I would be worried about not getting it on Steam one day as an account link.

Is it possible to have both USEC and BEAR characters? or is it a choice?

You choose when you start a character. You get to change it at the wipe IIRC

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Vahakyla posted:

Are there still no news about Steam? I am such an old fart, the thought of not having a game on Steam is very bleh.

What? You have a problem giving your credit card info to some sketchy Russian company? Whats the problem?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

seeing as a ton of people ahve bought it and nothing bad has happened its probably fine most likely because all russians arent criminals or whatever youre insinuating if i had to guess

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Oysters Autobio posted:

What? You have a problem giving your credit card info to some sketchy Russian company? Whats the problem?

Heh. Yeah, the stories don't make me super confident, and their ''gently caress YOU CYKA BLYAT" customer service isn't super inspiring either.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Holy poo poo, edited my skills in SPTarkov and the chance to instantly see loot and looting two things at once is amazing and should be default. The time you waste waiting for loot to show is a crime.

Max stamina and weight perks are loving awesome too

I doubt I’ll ever play multiplayer again

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

gabe newell

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Stux posted:

all russians arent criminals

Hmmm

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I feel bad for the factory questers, lately it has been like 75% Timmys and 25% geared chads in there

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Vahakyla posted:

You can buy mine (nota bene: it is completely empty, I haven't played since the last wipe). PayPal a sketchy goon instead!

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Cage Kicker posted:

I feel bad for the factory questers, lately it has been like 75% Timmys and 25% geared chads in there

I really wish I saved my replays of my first 6 hours of tarkov. I stripped by guy down and put on the cheapest pistol with two clips just to try and learn the game... I picked factory over and over because it said "easy" under difficulty. I crouch walked all over while trying to learn while the hairs on my arms stood up at every sound..

Hilariously, I only found out recently why I would only get scavs rushing me 10 deep till I died when I wasn't getting destroyed by chads. cursed and marked for hatchet runner AI... I only had a pistol.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've started to appreciate Factory. No worries about when a fight is gonna break out, it's coming immediately and you can always hear it coming.

gently caress Reserve forever, though. Definitely my least favorite map.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

:pwn:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I've started to appreciate Factory. No worries about when a fight is gonna break out, it's coming immediately and you can always hear it coming.

Reserve is great fun but it's a very dense map. If you can fight the raiders without getting killed by the 3rd parties then you can make it out fat. I went on a 5-7 run with a friend the other night and we fought Glucose Gang in the school and I made it out with 700k worth of nice poo poo to wear. Glukhar is a loving tank though

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cage Kicker posted:

Reserve is great fun but it's a very dense map. If you can fight the raiders without getting killed by the 3rd parties then you can make it out fat. I went on a 5-7 run with a friend the other night and we fought Glucose Gang in the school and I made it out with 700k worth of nice poo poo to wear. Glukhar is a loving tank though

Reserve is a great map for scavs. It's so loot dense and there are plenty of places to sneak around. Scavs have plenty of extraction points too so it's easy to escape.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
We seem to always have really interesting fights on reserve. The loot is amazing too. You can also pick your type of fight by choosing where you go. I'm also biased because its the first map I actually learned.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I like the map itself cuz of all the places to go but I have two beefs with it: it takes a long time to get into it as a scav and the PMC extracts always seem very dangerous.

I'll probably feel different when I've got more experience but as someone who still struggles with pvp it's not the nicest place to visit.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
The underground PMC extract they just added is the premier way to leave before you have a red rebel. People camp it, but nothing some grenades can't handle.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

The D-2 extract also gives off the strongest Stalker vibes. Moreso than the game already does.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I guess I need to learn the D2 area more, because I keep getting killed by campers in random rooms. Was a pretty frustrating way to die.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

I guess I need to learn the D2 area more, because I keep getting killed by campers in random rooms. Was a pretty frustrating way to die.

Its annoying, but in the end its just a long twisty hallway. Check it out in offline mode - there are really only 2 or 3 good camping places.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I actually like finding the raiders and watching them until near end game and then going in to pick up all the crap geared people drop dying to them. It's very rewarding, on an emotional level.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Famethrowa posted:

Slap a flashlight on your gun and just sweep every corner, all the time. You probably know this but flashlights are excellent right now, very few downsides as far as I can tell. If someone's in a position to see you waving it around and gather your position, they can probably already hear you anyway.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Clap posted:

Slap a flashlight on your gun and just sweep every corner, all the time. You probably know this but flashlights are excellent right now, very few downsides as far as I can tell. If someone's in a position to see you waving it around and gather your position, they can probably already hear you anyway.

Hmm good point. I tend to stay away from flashlights to avoid giving away info, but that'd be a pretty good use of it.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

If you’ve ever played against flashlights, them peeking you and giving you glare from their flashlight actually plays to their advantage, because although you know it’s coming you can’t get a clean headshot on them and their movement is obscured

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I like the map itself cuz of all the places to go but I have two beefs with it: it takes a long time to get into it as a scav and the PMC extracts always seem very dangerous.

I'll probably feel different when I've got more experience but as someone who still struggles with pvp it's not the nicest place to visit.

If you're struggling with PVP then avoiding PVP probably isn't going to help you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

The Clap posted:

One major downside is they're visible through walls/floors/ceilings