Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

god this blows posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/14/21436006/microsoft-xbox-xcloud-game-list-pass-ultimate-streaming

With xCloud supporting most of the first party games, I'm trying to figure out why I would get an Xbox Series X over just streaming it.

Game streaming is not a realistic alternative at this point if you care about a consistent, lag-free experience. Also, xCloud runs on Xbone S's and streams at 720p so it also doesn't look great, not to even mention the inherent compression artefacting.

edit: Didn't see the last few posts making this the worst snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Are they letting xCloud games stream to XBOX One models :thunk:

I would guess that feature would start rolling around once they transition to Series X hardware for xCloud. In the meantime, the PC app still hasn't launched but appears to be in testing inside Microsoft so that will probably release soon.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Are they letting xCloud games stream to XBOX One models :thunk:

I’m pretty sure there has been zero word on if you will be able to stream to any console, only non Xbox devices. Also I’ve heard a few people on multiple podcasts talk about how they had a better experience with Stadia which is a huge yikes. But your point still stands game streaming is trash.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zerot posted:

I would guess that feature would start rolling around once they transition to Series X hardware for xCloud. In the meantime, the PC app still hasn't launched but appears to be in testing inside Microsoft so that will probably release soon.

They wont use xsx for cloud they will upgrade to xss

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
They're using XSX. Already talked about the boards, they have extra RAM on them so can be virtualized as four One Ss as needed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Red Warrior posted:

They're using XSX. Already talked about the boards, they have extra RAM on them so can be virtualized as four One Ss as needed.

how does that work?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rinkles posted:

how does that work?

Xboxes are already running Windows and using Hyper-V for virtualization, so I'm guessing they can literally either slice the hardware up as 4 One Ses or one Series X. Hypervisor virtualization is pretty dang mature at this point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently MS made multiple purchase offers to buy Bungie but those offers were rejected because Bungie set their sale price very high

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1305478072666292229?s=21

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Red Warrior posted:

Weird

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Toaster Beef posted:

As companies hammer out the tech I think streaming will be a viable replacement for console-based stuff, but I don't think we're there yet. I was on the Stadia test run (it's how I played Assassin's Creed: Odyssey) and enjoyed the hell out of it, but you absolutely do deal with latency, compression artifacts, etc., and my understanding is that xCloud's streaming is some measure worse than Stadia's.

theres no tech to hammer out, there is a limit on how low you can get latency down and its impossible to create an ideal network. its not a solvable problem.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

have you not heard of negative latency?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Streaming is a very good add-on for games but you’d have to be crazy to desire it as your only means of playing games.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Streaming is, like, somewhat reliable when the console is in the next room.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Streaming games with the network infrastructure we have her in the states is a huge lol.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Streamed hams

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

sometimes i use psnow 7 day trial to demo ps3 games i might want to buy on my ps3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tokyo jungle

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Streaming is bad for anything bigger than a phone screen. I tried the Stadia trial and honestly it was jarring just how awful it looked and that was supposedly the highest quality 300mbps 4K. You can't really hide the difference between encoding and native render.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently MS made multiple purchase offers to buy Bungie but those offers were rejected because Bungie set their sale price very high

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1305478072666292229?s=21

They do that a lot, MS just needed to beat the raid.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If I were Bungie it would take a whole hell of a lot of money for me to come back

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

If I were Bungie it would take a whole hell of a lot of money for me to come back
didn't they have to buy themselves out of microsoft in the first case? i know microsoft had right of first refusal for destiny then and refused to have exclusivity

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Bungie's also denying this story:
https://twitter.com/pparsons/status/1305528354318163968

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I listened to it and the context isnt purchasing bungie its partnering with them for exclusive stuff afaict

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

Streaming is bad for anything bigger than a phone screen. I tried the Stadia trial and honestly it was jarring just how awful it looked and that was supposedly the highest quality 300mbps 4K. You can't really hide the difference between encoding and native render.

Yeah it kinda is.

It looks ok on my MBP at 1080p but once you go above that you can really see how not good it looks.

There are use cases for streaming but it isn't gonna replace a dedicated console anytime soon.

Not even taking into account the bandwidth costs.

quote:

Playing on a 720p screen will use around 4.5GB per hour, while a 1080p screen will use 9.0GB per hour. So 30 hours of 720p gaming will use 135GB of data, while 1080p will use 270GB.

Good luck trying that on a cell phone plan.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

drat, I have a monthly 100gb 4G data cap so I could play for less than an hour a day?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also people talk about using hotel WiFi to game stream and lol I’ve spent time in a lot of hotels and the WiFi almost always sucks rear end.

It works but lol at trying to pull 8 gigs an hour or whatever

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Anyone who believes that streaming will be their best option for games, like a Stadia owner, should really just buy a switch instead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe if the US wasn't a lovely hellscape for internet, there could be streaming games, but we aren't there yet. Cell phone plans have low data caps, even some home internet has low data caps. Not everyone can get the speeds needed to stream games. It's useful if you live in some tech area that gets gigabit fiber and is close to their servers I guess.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
the main issues are stability and latency, you cant fix the former and the latter would need you to start putting xcloud/psnow/whatever blades into exchanges

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Also streaming will, no matter how good it gets, have a “so long as you have really good internet” requirement. A switch doesn’t need any of that an can immediately play games absolutely anywhere you happen to be.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I really don't understand why the streaming services position themselves as bad replacements rather than good supplements for whatever gaming hardware you already have. Streaming makes way more sense if there's a good library of latency-insensitive games and they're running on more powerful hardware than what you probably have at home. Yet Xcloud is running on One S's and Stadia is offering you Serious Sam and Doom Eternal, I just don't get it. Maybe the set of games that aren't twitchy and could benefit from beefy hardware isn't large, but if you're MS then you're already a publisher, you could fix that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

acksplode posted:

I really don't understand why the streaming services position themselves as bad replacements rather than good supplements for whatever gaming hardware you already have.

That is basically Spencer's pitch

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Microsoft literally are positioning it as a value add making it part of Game Pass Ultimate I feel. And as above they are going to be adding/transitioning to Series X based servers.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
xCloud has positioned itself as a good supplement, and PSNow works as a sort of lovely back compat solution since Sony doesn't really care about back compat.

Stadia is really the only one that tried to take on regular gaming (because they don't have a console) and that's going expectantly poorly for them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just for fun, another quote from that interview

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

It is so bizarre that Stadia thought people were going to make games specifically for their thing just because they showed up. When I thought it was a Netflix type buffet that used your Chromecast it seemed clever, then they were like "oh so that'll be $60 to own MK on this"

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Microsoft have updated the Xbox Series S and X pages.

One thing I noticed is they list the package contents under the FAQ stuff down the page, the X does include an 'ultra high speed' HDMI cable (HDMI 2.1 in other words), the S includes a 'high speed' HDMI cable, or HDMI 2.0 which is all it needs.

There is a typo in the ports part of the spec for the X where it says it has '3 HDMI 3.1 ports' instead of USB.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/xbox-series-x?xr=shellnav
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/xbox-series-s?xr=shellnav

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Is this the same guy that turned the Xbox 360 dashboard into 75% ads or is this some other loving rear end in a top hat?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Rinkles posted:

lol of course being a microsoft exec you have to come up with this idea by going to africa instead of idk playing one of a jillion popular games that already have it, the field in which you work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

F2P CoD introduces 10 second Coke ads that you have to watch before every respawn, my KD immediately jumps from 0.1 to 0.5