Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Knuckle Slamming + Republic for me please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Taoist Mysticism and Theocracy

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Wouldn't becoming a Republic pull us from the Sacred Empire? Or would we be suddenly be I dunno, the equivalent of a gigantic Free City?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Taoist Mysticism + Republic.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Taoist Mysticism and Theocracy

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
Taoist Mysticism, let us all refines ourselves until we can became one with heaven.

Republic, perhaps there are more reincarnations waiting among us? The righteous Lasya might even return and lead us to greater glory. A republic would better let these righteous stars ascend to prominence.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Wouldn't becoming a Republic pull us from the Sacred Empire? Or would we be suddenly be I dunno, the equivalent of a gigantic Free City?

No, republics can exist within the Empire just fine, see vanilla EU4 Switzerland. It does take Tibet out of the running for emperor, as would becoming a theocracy.

fake edit: now Kangxi could have made a "Tibet breaks out of the Empire!" event; but if so I would expect she´d have mentioned that in the update.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 13, 2020

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Venerate the Second Tse! Isn't that what started all of this chaos? How can we ignore the Second Tse now that we have won?

Oh, and Legislative Houses.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Taoist Mysticism + Republic.

We haven't been doing TSE reforms anyway.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Taoist Mysticism + Theocracy.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

We must Venerate the Second Tse by establishing a Theocracy, or was this all merely chaos for its own banal sake?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Let's get the Nechung Oracle more involved in government, and while we're doing this whole religious revivalism, why not install a Theocracy (D)?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
We just destroyed the Sacred Hierarchy, why would we install another theocracy in its place?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Venerate the Second Tse
Republic

The injustices of the Sacred Hierarchy flowed from a basis of unquestionable authority, we can only venerate Tse by repudiating that ideal.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

GunnerJ posted:

Venerate the Second Tse
Republic

The injustices of the Sacred Hierarchy flowed from a basis of unquestionable authority, we can only venerate Tse by repudiating that ideal.

This is the wisdom we need in this trying time.

Venerate the Second Tse
Republic

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Tse II: Ghostwalker literally had a whole thing where she told some holy roller "Oh is THAT what you think our religion is about, intolerant purges of unbelievers?" and folks are saying we need some kind of fundamentalist dictatorship to honor her :shrug:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

Tse II: Ghostwalker literally had a whole thing where she told some holy roller "Oh is THAT what you think our religion is about, intolerant purges of unbelievers?" and folks are saying we need some kind of fundamentalist dictatorship to honor her :shrug:

Intolerant purges of intolerant purgers?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We must establis a Theocracy, and our Knuckle Slammers shall keep the people in line.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

This is the wisdom we need in this trying time.

Venerate the Second Tse
Republic

Only the Wisdom of Tse can guide us in our Revolutionary Republic

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Venerate the Second Tse
Republic

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Venerate the Second Tse
Republic

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren: The vote will close tomorrow at 9 PM EST. :siren:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Taoist Mysticism and expand the Legislative Houses

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Taoist Mysticism and Absolutism

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Venerate the Second Tse
Theocracy

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I will have to cut the vote off an hour early. I'll be indisposed for the rest of the evening.

:siren: POLLS ARE CLOSED :siren:

Restorationist Aspect:
Taoist Mysticism: 16 (QuoProQuid, Tulip, Lord Cyrahzax, Ferrovanadium, Technowolf, megane, Caustic Soda, ThatBasqueGuy, frankenfreak, idhrendur, AJ_Impy, zealouscub, Rody One Half, whowhatwhere, Xelkelvos, SirPhoebos)
Venerate the Second Tse: 10 (McGavin, Iolite, Viola the Mad, Coward, GunnerJ, Empress Theonora, Pacho, Rubix Squid, Mycroft Holmes, Ikasuhito)
Reformed Monasticism: 1 (Soup du Jour)
Accept the Material: 1(Crazycryodude)
Knuckle Slammers: 3 (Gravity Cant Apple, Alikchi, habeasdorkus)
Nechung Oracle: 1 (Chatrapati)

Governmental Reform:
Republic: 17 (QuoProQuid, Tulip, Lord Cyrahzax, Technowolf, CrazyCryodude, megane, Caustic Soda, ThatBasqueGuy, Alikchi, idhrendur, zealouscub, Rody One Half, GunnerJ, Empress Theonora, Pacho, Rubix Squid, Mycroft Holmes)
Political Absolutism: 3(Ferrovanadium, Gravity Cant Apple, SirPhoebos)
Theocracy: 10 (McGavin, Soup du Jour, Iolite, Frankenfreak, AJ_Impy, whowhatwhere, Coward, Chatrapati, habeasdorkus, Ikasuhito)
Legislative Houses: 2 (Viola the Mad, Xelkelvos)

With 32 votes, the restorationist hierarchy will take on the Taoist Mysticism aspect. We call for a Republic.

The results will be presented to her Sacred Majesty Gyalyum II soon.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Getting kicked out of our own empire is pretty funny

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Flesnolk posted:

Getting kicked out of our own empire is pretty funny

Gotta keep things fresh, No Kings! No Princes!

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/this-crusader-kings-3-player-ate-the-pope/

ATTACK AND DEGLAZE GOD

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 70: 1600 to 1616 - The Last and First Empress

As told by Gyalyum II 'the Restorer' 'the False', 'the Mad'

Just because some thieves yearn to break into my tomb and snatch the jewels off my skull doesn't mean I'm dead yet. So long as I still have some scraps of armor to wear, so long as I still have a knife, I still live. Look into my face, even if my eyes are yellow with malaria, and convince yourself that I am the true empress of Tibet.

Any student of history knows there are fakes and claimants as well as the real thing; the Second Tse, as we all know, was genuine but she was stabbed by the nobility who feared the return of Buddhism. The Suryavanshas who now rule Ethiopia? I don't think they're the originals, but their accomplishments are great enough.

In the summer of 1600, I was approached by the nobility of Tibet, who had produced a list of crimes during my tenure. They cited the rights and privileges given to them by the Kashag and various other customs of law, as well as the ancient Tibetan Code, which allowed for petitions to the empress. They demanded that I resign my position and that an elected regency would be introduced.

Slowly, and with great care, I took off the five-pointed crown, removed the white shawls that were presented to me, and I agreed to their request.

You should see the look on your face. Did you really think I would give up that easily? They were all traitors and I would wage war against them to the death for their ingratitude.

The nobles had gathered their armies around Lhasa.

While the guards of the city were soon destroyed, I made my way out and led the army from the south.

The fools had split up their armies; I had defeated one and so charged to defeat the others.

I wondered if the Tamils would intervene; but instead their fleets were charging to the east, for some other war.

I wonder why these little islands so concerned them.

I thought readily of what to do after the victory; remaking Tibet as if drawing upon the map. Lhasa would be the greatest city of the world, with palaces greater than China, libraries greater than Mali's, and even if ruined it would be more beautiful than any other ruin.

I admit this was premature.

Their armies were well-supplied, well-trained, ferocious. Powerful gods were on their side. I saw one of my best officers shot dead by a few Naga troops with rifles, and before he had died they seized his boots and the rings off his fingers.

Lhasa had fallen. This was the third, or the fourth time in ten years, I'd lost count.

I prepared another attack against the traitors, and... the army had just broken into pieces. The fall of the city must have broken their spirit. The bravest officers I had known were now babbling children. They pleaded for their lives in every language they knew or just ran. The priest next to me was shot.

I still lived.

The fanatics of the hierarchy had risen up in Kham.

The last of the army and all the heavy guns were defeated. I had to fire the last ones myself. The last of the soldiers could not believe this was happening. Some just sat there, as if they had heard their own mothers had died.

The situation was serious but not unrecoverable.

I begged for loans from foreign creditors to raise another army.

While Orissa, our tributary, demanded our help for something. With what army?

Ungrateful.

And still there was rebellion.

I'll have another army even if I have to drag the peasants out of their houses myself. And then get more of them to replace the deserters.

The merchants were fighting with the clergy; as the clergy were fanatics and full of delusional ideas, I sided with the merchants.

With the army I had raised, and with Orissa's support, we were able to defeat more of the traitor nobles.

The situation was still difficult. Lhasa was still held by traitors, as well as much of U-Tsang; Khams was held by fanatics and those loyal to what was left of the Sacred Hierarchy; the lower Ganges was still beset by other groups of hateful fanatics.

And then, as if the gods had sent a miracle, a Tamil army had come across mine near the town of Satgoan. They had joined up with us to defeat a hateful mob of fanatics, and then went on to their next campaign.

Allies can be rewarded.

Advisors can turn against me so I hang them.

The war was still in a difficult postion, not all to my advantage. My new army was in the very southwest, and not yet ready for a campaign on the plateau. First, we would have to destroy the armies near the mouth of the Ganges. Once that was accomplished, we could sentence traitors to their reward.

And still there was rebellion.

After some months, a leader of the traitors was declared empress.

Such a perverse, vicious, and evil ruler, one so devoted to her delusions, could not be allowed to stand.

While forces loyal to her held the Yarlung valley, she still faced the peasants and rebellious lords in the south, and the fanatics of the hierarchy to the east. It did not matter to them that she was more sympathetic to the hierarchy; they demand divine punishment be sent to all.

Those generals who survived and once served me now paid their respects to her.

Sonam Detrin Tsen is a head taller than I am. I'll have to change that.

Her armies had moved south, out of the mountains, only to find more rebellion everywhere.

She had turned to those who studied the five elements, those magicians who cultivated their bodies and studied the processing of materia medica; she had returned with more fierce and rapid guns; no doubt their use of 'fire-medicine' to cure all ills.

Enemies fell away before her.

Her army yet retreated to the mountains and were ambushed by fanatics; they had given up their minds to delusion and become like rabid animals; she had nothing for them but the sword.

Armed bands tore each other to pieces.

The new empress tried to mediate disputes between noble houses; would be better to have shot a few to keep the rest in line.

More fanatics; not just in Kale but in dozens of towns across the Bamar lands.

They had concealed themselves in that vast forest.

When the false empress' armies approached, she had found that three times as many as she had expected.

For a while, they went on pillaging and destroying 'delusion' without anything to stop them.

When Nepalese reinforcements came, then finally she felt ready to advance.

An army had set itself up in sieging the fort at Manipur, and this was the right time and place to ambush them.

Where the Hierarchy had once conquered the world with arms, so it was conquered by its own vices and contempt for the gods.

The fanatics were soon pushed back,

and even the Burmese were grateful to see a Tibetan army. An immediate threat to the false empress was defeated.

The crown lands of Tibet still are under threat.

They are still poor, indebted,

Pitied.

The false empress set about marrying another prominent noble,

while the elected head of the Sacred Tibetan Empire had carved out lands in Sindh and greater Khorasan.

Tibet was still poor, where I could gather my time and find a place to stage a return. I would gather a third army, somehow...

and the false empress had to convince the people of her kingdom that it was not the end of the world again. They had reason to believe that, so long as I still breathe.

Kingdoms rise and kingdoms fall. Who is the enemy, who is your neighbor? What is left of all past empire, save a few rusted swords, Lasya the Holy's pyramid, still magnificent even if the stone cracks a little now, Pakmodru Tse's old prayer beads, the sandals of the Buddha, some robbed and pillaged tombs south of Lhasa, a few pilgrims to Mount Kailash from the Timurid kingdoms who are now shocked at the state of our dispossession. The golden hoards of the Triple Alliance are now split among their conquerors; the Mongolians are now rich if each has sixty horses instead of a thousand. Every tomb now gathers grey dust that blows out, each fruit rots and withers. And murder becomes cute; in a few hundred years hence this shall become a story told to children. And as for me, I'd rather be great and terrible than nothing at all.

The Empire itself would come to an end.

Tsering I had declared, in the absence of a suitable candidate for the seat, had declared herself a 'regent', and this would be a non-permanent position.

This was one way to avoid a succession crisis, but the void of authority makes itself known. Will it survive her?

The rest of the empire will remember this.

Altishahr, one of Tibet's old vassals, is now pillaged by Punjab and Kashmir, a little breakaway state that came out of the west.

Build, build.

Better to have good guns else you end up like a kingdom that the Ayitians will destroy in a matter of months. Or like the ruins of the Triple Alliance city that the Purépecha now claim as their own.

Kashmir seized all of the Tarim Basin and its wealth in trade;

so the Empress knew, then, what she must do.

She follows the hierarchy, yet rules over a kingdom of those who saw its delusion.

What threads of gold will she spin out of the yellow earth?

The ends of empresses are new; their means are inexplicable.

The Sacred Emperor in Rajputana loses his kingdom too. The war there is everyone against everyone else.

Each new thing becomes sacred in time.

While others grow rich and hoard the sweet and fragrant.

I am Gyalyum II. I shall set out upon the ocean and found my new kingdom, righteous, eternal. Who else is with me?

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 14, 2020

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
Man that was bloody and amazing! A lot of death and devastation, the new republic will have it's work cut out for it. I don't the immortal reincarnations reappearing will ever end well.

Also at the top there I think you might be missing a screenshot or two.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Fixed; and I also touched up a few missing and incomplete descriptions.

who has now claimed the ruins of a certain tēcuacān in Italy, for example

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Kangxi posted:

who has now claimed the ruins of a certain tēcuacān in Italy, for example

The Red Jugs Culture! The myths are true! There were 5 great Red Jug Cities in the western peninsula, all of them made of gold and devoted to their man-eating wolf gods!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
The Lhagyari Regency, Part I

Excerpts from 'The Lhagyari Interlude: Political Thought and the South Asian Republican Tradition'. I. Navaratna, Tanjore University Press, 1975. Dates have been converted to our calendar.

When historians or political scientists refer to the South Asian system of the balance of power, they refer to a system that emerged in the 15th-17th centuries as part of the final collapse of the previous system of universal aspirations -- a world order that encompassed the concentric roles of temporal and spiritual power. The world thus mirrored Heaven, and one divinely inspired ruler had the right to rule over all the earth with the tacit backing of religious authority. The last ruler with any definitive claims to such a role was Lasya I Purgyal 'the Holy' (r. 1362-1417), and with her death, the unchallenged hegemony of rulers from the Tibetan plateau came to an end.

[...]

After the defeat and exile of Gyalyum II 'the False', the noblewoman Tsering Lhagyari was declared the de facto Empress of Tibet. She was only in her mid-20s when declared for this role, but the defeat and gruesome deaths of other nobles in the war against Gyalyum II in the 1600s and 1610s propelled her to the leading ranks of the nobles' rebellion. Like Gyalyum II, she was from Khams and had received education in a Buddhist monastic school before turning away from religious life and taking up the practices of Bon. However, unlike Gyalyum II, she maintained cordial relations with the Sacred Hierarchy, and she enjoyed a cordial relationship with many of the prominent nobles due to her equanimous sense of justice and reputation as a capable administrator.

The Sacred Hierarchy had fallen far from its establishment by Pakmodru Tse in 912, or its resurgence as a common religious institution across the fractious polities of the so-called "Sacred Tibetan Empire" in the 15th and 16th centuries. It had seen the loss of most of its territories to the wars of Emperor Tingngezin I,

and the reduction of its influence across the former Tibetan Empire with the 'Restorationist' movement across the Ganges river basin, Bengal, and the northeast.

While the Timurids in Persia remained far and away the most powerful empire that retained any ties to the Sacred Hierarchy, the situation closer to the Tibetan Plateau was far more tempestuous. Rajputana, which was a serious competitor with Tibet for the seat of the Sacred Tibetan Empire, was engaged in several wars at once and was at serious risk of losing its exclaves and foreign territories in Khorasan.

While keenly aware of the Sacred Hierarchy's tenuous position, as well as its deeply suspicious relationship with the Restorationist movements, Lhagyari did not immediately back any rollbacks or forced conversions of Restorationist practitioners, as part of a cease-fire agreed to when she first ascended the throne as part of the Chokpori Agreements. The Restorationist movement on the plateau and in Bengal, in the meantime, took the opportunity to further codify and pronounce its doctrines and practices.

Choose any two of the following aspects. The two with the greatest number of votes will be selected.

This vote will conclude on Thursday, October 8, at 9 PM EST.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Encourage Attendancy and Nechung Oracle

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Accept the Material & Nechung Oracle

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
One Thousand Dmyal Ba Realms and Nechung Oracle

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Reformed Monasticism and Accept the Material.

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
One Thousand Dmyal Ba Realms, and Meritocracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Venerate the second Tse and Nechung Oracle.