Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

abelwingnut posted:

what's the general consensus on untitled goose game? looks unique, at least. also a physical version coming out in a couple of weeks.

It's a short little comedy game. Not much more than that, but you'll get your moneys worth if it interests you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I haven't experienced it myself but I remember reading at the time that the problems can occur. This thread says drift issues should be fixed at no charge. My only concern would be if Nintendo forces people to do a wipe on their Lites, which would obviously be an issue if they have save data not backed up elsewhere like Pokemon and Animal Crossing.

If you are in Australia, nobody's getting joycons fixed because the Nintendo service centre is at ground zero for Melbourne's lockdowns :smith:

abelwingnut posted:

what's the general consensus on untitled goose game? looks unique, at least. also a physical version coming out in a couple of weeks.

It looks like a hoot, esp with multiplayer, though it's not terribly long. Have been holding off on it (because I didn't have a Switch before, and didn't want an Epic games account) but plan on buying it soon. Didn't realise there was a physical version, might pick that up if it's not too much.

edit: lmao it costs twice as much as digital, NEVERMIND.

edit 2: if there was ever a game that would get even better with a Battle Royale mode...

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waltzing Along posted:

That's true. The number wouldn't go up or down because no one cares enough about Fire Emblem for it to be a system seller. Which was the point of my post. The people who love Fire Emblem are going to get Nintendo systems anyway. And no one else knows what it is other than the weird horny game that has too many Smash characters.

Game is horny because you can get your anime soldiers to marry each other and have g-rated conversations is like the funniest imaginable take.

There are Disney movies that are hornier than Fire Emblem.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it would definitely sell way more if it was hornier thats true

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

abelwingnut posted:

It's also a good spectator sport if you eat dinner with roommates.

Probably only for the one or two evenings it takes to complete it, but that's often worth a couple o' bucks. Especially if you mentally compare it to movie prices.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ethics_Gradient posted:

It looks like a hoot, esp with multiplayer,

Don't you mean it looks like a honk?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, this isn't untitled owl game, although I would also play that game.

Swooping silently out of the darkness, screeching like a murdered child, convincing the people of West Virginia that you are an omniscient alien demon,

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
'Agent 47, for this mission your mind has been transferred into a goose...'

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
holy poo poo my 3d all stars pre-order is getting processed already. looks like im getting it way earlier than i thought. might have 120 stars by thursday night.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Fire emblem, more like dire emblem

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
More like Dire ‘n’ Lame

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't really know what fire emblem gameplay actually is, all i know is that people want to date the characters or something

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't really know what fire emblem gameplay actually is, all i know is that people want to date the characters or something

Imagine chess with a dating game where the knight tries to romance a bishop.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Imagine Rock Paper Scissors as an anime but it’s a voice drama with still images

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Imagine turn based smash bros but you can’t play any of the characters with good or memorable design

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Imagine if you had Final Fantasy Tactics with Dark Souls gently caress each other and they gave birth to a bunch of blue-haired sword users that want to gently caress each other.

From what I understand, Fates is the only real horny game from the series, otherwise the character pairings (and it's not all romance since many characters can support for friendships or rivalries or other poo poo) are a minor part of the game at best other than the couple of games where you can play as your characters' kids, in which case who you pair up can determine the kids' stats and stuff. Three Houses is certainly not that bad, at any rate, and the pre-Awakenings games moreso.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so it's like competitive mahjong but one of the players is eyeing up the judge instead of focusing on the game

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shut up about Fire Emblem, what is THIS?!

https://twitter.com/Asuley/status/1305641818432909312?s=19

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Johnny Joestar posted:

so it's like competitive mahjong but one of the players is eyeing up the judge instead of focusing on the game

Its just FFT or XCOM with preset characters and if you keep them next to each other you unlock fun dialogue between stages which sometimes leads to them getting married.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tanooki Statue can kill a ton of poo poo. Try it on those rotating circles in the fortresses!

The very few things Tanooki Statue can't kill, Hammer Bros Suit probably can!

e: Mario Wiki has a good summary.

quote:

As a statue, Tanooki Mario cannot be hurt, and if he uses this ability in the air, he can slam down like a Thwomp. This can destroy many enemies, instantly destroying all Goombas and enemies with throwable shells (like Koopa Troopas, Buzzy Beetles, and Spinies). It can also stomp previously unstompable enemies like Piranha Plants, Piranhacus Giganticuses, Venus Fire Traps, Spiny Eggs, Thwomps, Podoboos, Firesnakes, and Chain Chomps.

The Statue form is also the only way to destroy Roto-discs and Rocket Engine flames. Statue Mario will sink rapidly underwater, and can even oppose some pipes' upward currents. This allows Mario to stomp Lava Lotuses, Bloobers and fish enemies underwater.
Boss Bass is the only fish that Mario cannot stomp on, and the only enemy that can defeat him in that form by eating him. In Super Mario All-Stars, the tornado can turn Statue Mario back into Tanooki Mario on contact. He can still turn into the statue while in the tornado, but it will not free him or have any desirable effect. Statue Mario will also automatically revert to Tanooki form in five seconds.

In the NES version's ending, a Koopa Troopa can be seen comically praying before Statue Mario as if he was a religious idol.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 15, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can also kill the disco balls and I think maybe thwomps.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Tanooki suit was just ridiculously overpowered. Even as a kid I was like wtf, maybe spread some of those abilities around some of the other suits more?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

I thought the style and concept was really cool, but the gameplay wasn't that fun. It's some basic line-of-sight stealth and loving with random villagers. If you get a lot of enjoyment out of stealing the gardener's hat and throwing it in the water, go for it, but I never really enjoyed myself. But I acknowledge I'm in the minority.

In retrospect, the game is exactly what it promised, I just didn't love the experience.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just played BOTW for about four hours straight. It's so so good

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Tanooki suit was just ridiculously overpowered. Even as a kid I was like wtf, maybe spread some of those abilities around some of the other suits more?

I disagree. It's a raccoon suit with an immobile 5-second-max invincibility ability, and... that's it.

I guess it'd be completely fair if you couldn't fly, maybe?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah it was mostly talking about flying plus invincibility, making it just a straight over upgrade from the raccoon suit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's also very well hidden, there's barely any of it compared to the raccoon.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Super Duper Nintendo.

Please, the proper term is Super Switch God Super Switch.

Tafferling posted:

I love Odyssey.

You know you're having a lovely day when Bowser steals your ring, then Mario comes and punches you in the face for your bananas.

(Come on, they're bananas, they come in casks even!)

Looks, man, the banana trade is serious business. Look at FFL2's Edo world, where people murder in the name of the banana trade. Just like in real life. :v:

Also the bananas in FFL2 are opium through the lens of dumb 90s censorship.

Bulgakov posted:

i believe their CEO recently admitted that "these are the last mario games to be released, and the last games nintendo will ever make because we are shutting down right now. because the company is doomed"

This is unironically going to be how people paint Nintendo next year when they don't hit the same level of sales that the COVID lockdowns caused.

deadly_pudding posted:

Game is horny because you can get your anime soldiers to marry each other and have g-rated conversations is like the funniest imaginable take.

Awakening or Fates had some weird minigame where you could pet(???) your party members.

Three Houses has... tea time where you make small talk and can move the camera around? Romancing your student(s) is awful as well but I think Byleth is supposed to be around the same age as the students and him being a teacher is just a result of "oh you're the kid of a highly respected badass so you can probably teach these pampered shits how to be an actual soldier."

Golden Deer 4ever.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else playing Moon?

It slaps. Hard.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Was playing NES SMB3 and one thing I didn't remember since I last played it (ten years maybe?) was how short the stages were. It's like over in a blink of an eye compared to the SMW stages.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just played BOTW for about four hours straight. It's so so good

My roomie played it for eight hours straight the other day. There's palpable tension in the air now when I grab the switch before I go to bed so I can play Disgaea until I'm tired, because she's always up earlier than me and wants to play BOTW after waking up. No mother to say who shall play the xbox, age of conflict has ensued.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You could put it back once you’re done!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

but then I'd have to walk back into the living room and that'd make me less sleepy

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’re probably asleep when they’re done

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Fire emblem is like shining force.

I loving loved shining force

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Shining Force was better because it threw out most of the dumb poo poo FE did even back then while FE has continued to revel in garbage mechanics like the random statups.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean shining force had its own issues.

Like it was very very easy

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It and the hammer suit are balanced by being very rare. I feel like I always stupidly immediately lose either when I have one.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

Besides Awakening and Fates being incredibly in your face, and while its otherwise an improvement to how Fates was in this regard, 3 Houses still has the whole 'dating your (ex)students who are hot for you because they're so impressed with your capacity to kill people' thing going on. Horny is a subtext, even it gets past the ratings board.

I'm currently on a play through of SoV and I can't stress how much of a breath of fresh air it is.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

kirbysuperstar posted:

Shining Force was better because it threw out most of the dumb poo poo FE did even back then while FE has continued to revel in garbage mechanics like the random statups.

I mean, Shining Force replaced most of the dumb poo poo FE did with even dumber poo poo.

And also made the cool characters complete garbage while idiots like Peter easily solo the game.