Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VectorSigma posted:

So I picked up a G29 a couple months ago to fill the void caused by the demise of both my daily commute and summer road trips at the hands of SARS-CoV 2, and even though I do really enjoy PC2 and Dirt Rally/2.0, I am absolutely addicted to BeamNG and in fact just got done with a three hour tour of the tropical island map. If they tightened up the graphics a bit and refined the driving model I basically would never leave my house again. It's just goofy that a soft-body physics tech demo spontaneously morphed into my all-time favorite driving sim.

If you like BeamNG, you might be interested in checking out Rigs of Rods. It's sort of the spiritual predecessor, the original BeamNG team were all RoR developers or community members.

It's an order of magnitude jankier and hasn't really seen much development since BeamNG's release, but it's free/open source and technically even has Mac/Linux support (though that was broken last time I looked). It still has some capabilities that BeamNG has not replicated, mostly in terms of more complicated vehicles with dozens of controllable parts. There's a whole fully functional mega-crane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I couldn’t get beamng’s ffb working properly with my csw2.5

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

VectorSigma posted:

So I picked up a G29 a couple months ago to fill the void caused by the demise of both my daily commute and summer road trips at the hands of SARS-CoV 2, and even though I do really enjoy PC2 and Dirt Rally/2.0, I am absolutely addicted to BeamNG and in fact just got done with a three hour tour of the tropical island map. If they tightened up the graphics a bit and refined the driving model I basically would never leave my house again. It's just goofy that a soft-body physics tech demo spontaneously morphed into my all-time favorite driving sim.

Have you tried Assetto Corsa LA Canyons????

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/la-canyons.15067/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VectorSigma posted:

Definitely consider Euro Truck Sim as well if that's the kinda driving you wanna do

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

also https://www.patreon.com/Shutoko_Revival_Project/posts

I spent 2 hours the other day just absolutely ripping through Tokyo in an F40 in singleplayer, it was amazing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shogunner posted:

also https://www.patreon.com/Shutoko_Revival_Project/posts

I spent 2 hours the other day just absolutely ripping through Tokyo in an F40 in singleplayer, it was amazing

I had some fun driving around Tokyo highways, the roads definitely feel like Japanese roads.

That said, Shutoko takes like 10 minutes to load the map, its kinda a mess. And its JUST the highway, you can't get off and drive around Tokyo or anything. So, cool, but with how narrow the highway is you gotta be careful you don't go too fast and there's not much to it after awhile.

I want a street racing simulator so bad :( VR Need for speed underground.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Zaphod42 posted:

I had some fun driving around Tokyo highways, the roads definitely feel like Japanese roads.

That said, Shutoko takes like 10 minutes to load the map, its kinda a mess. And its JUST the highway, you can't get off and drive around Tokyo or anything. So, cool, but with how narrow the highway is you gotta be careful you don't go too fast and there's not much to it after awhile.

I want a street racing simulator so bad :( VR Need for speed underground.

You just gotta have a beastly computer for it unfortunately. There's a few GPU optimizations hidden in the CSP settings that really helped. It was unplayable in VR for me on my 1080ti/OG Vive until I found them. Now I can run it (just) in VR on multiplayer and it is honestly amazing when the server is full. People start random roll races all the time and then pull into the parking lots for impromptu meets. It's the closest we're gonna get for a while.

Need For Speed will 100% be VR in the future when the tech goes mainstream. I cannot loving wait!!

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Shogunner posted:

You just gotta have a beastly computer for it unfortunately. There's a few GPU optimizations hidden in the CSP settings that really helped. It was unplayable in VR for me on my 1080ti/OG Vive until I found them.

Same. Those worked wonders.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I have not, since I never got around to buying AC. Since AC just so happens to now be $5 on Steam, I now have AC, and apparently a huge modding rabbit hole.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Aside from the must-have basics (Content Manager + Custom Shader Patch + SOL), here's a list of my currently installed cars and tracks copy-pasted right out of the mod enabler. You should find most of those on Racedepartment, I consider nearly all of them to be at or above Kunos standard. Some are payware.

Edit: look a few posts down for a condensed list with links

If you're willing to pay for any mod car that's kinda too expensive, make it the Audi 90 GTO :)

Car - Auto Union Type C v0.5=3
Car - Abarth 1000 Berlina v2.0=122
Car - Alfa Guilietta Spider v1.0.1=98
Car - Alfa Romeo GTAM v1.31=125
Car - Audi 90 GTO v1.0=114
Car - Austin Mini Cooper S 1275 v1.1=112
Car - Austin Mini Copper S Racing v2.12=127
Car - Bugatti Type 32 v1.1=105
Car - Caterham 420r v0.7=4
Car - Caterham 7 Super Sprint 1995 v1.35=5
Car - Caterham Academy v0.93=6
Car - Caterham Roadster 500 v1.3=7
Car - Chevrolette Camaro Z28 GTO v1.3=113
Car - Corvette 1970 LT1=110
Car - Corvette C6 v1.0=8
Car - DeTomaso Pantera Gr4 v1.11=126
Car - DRM Revival Real Names v1.3=133
Car - DRM Revival v1.3=132
Car - Ford Spec Racer v1.1=27
Car - Formula Ford Russell Alexis Mk.14 v1.1=9
Car - Ginetta Supercup 2017 v2.0=10
Car - GT Legends v2.0 Real Names=12
Car - GT Legends v2.0=11
Car - Honda S800 RSC v2.0=123
Car - Honda S800 v2.0=119
Car - Jaguar D-Type v1.2=13
Car - Jaguar XJ13 v1.99=137
Car - Legends Ford 34 Coupe v1.0=14
Car - Lola T70 MkII Spyder v1.0=15
Car - Mercedes W125 v0.79=138
Car - Miker Formula Junior 1960 v1.1=16
Car - Mini Challenge F56 Shaun v2.0=82
Car - NFS Tournament A v1.5=109
Car - NFS Tournament B v1.4=108
Car - Nissan Laurel C33 v1.1=97
Car - Peugeot 106 Rallye S2 v1.1=121
Car - Porsche 356 v0.91=17
Car - Porsche 911 GT America v1.0=18
Car - Porsche 911 Singer v1.1=87
Car - Porsche 993 Turbo v0.96=89
Car - Radical SR3+SR8 v1.0=28
Car - Renault Sport R.S.01 Trophy v0.8.9=19
Car - RSS GT Pack v5=20
Car - RSS GT Real Names=21
Car - RSS GTN Real Names=23
Car - RSS GTN v2=22
Car - RUF Yellowbird alternate physics=86
Car - Seat Leon Cup v3.3=24
Car - Skip Barber v1.4=92
Car - Skoda 130 RS v1.7=136
Car - Subaru Impreza WRX 2002 v1.1=118
Car - Sunbeam Grand Prix v1.2=120
Car - TVR Griffith 200 v1.1=25
Car - USCC Corvette Daytona Prototypes v1.22=26
Track - Algarve Internation Circuit v0.9.1=29
Track - Atlanta Motorsports Park v1.0=30
Track - Avhenisto v1.1.5=103
Track - Barbagallo v1.2=31
Track - Baskerville v0.8=32
Track - Bathurst ACC 29092020=139
Track - Belgrad v1.2=33
Track - Bikernieki v0.6=34
Track - Botniaring v0.9=100
Track - Bridgehampton v2.0=35
Track - Brno v1.1=36
Track - Cabalogie Motorsports Park v0.9=37
Track - Circuito De Panama v1.4=38
Track - Clermont-Ferrand (Circuit Charade) v1.3=39
Track - Croft v1.0=40
Track - Daytona v1.0=41
Track - Deutschlandring v1.0=42
Track - Donington Park 1938 v1.0=43
Track - Donington Park v2.02=44
Track - Eifel Betonschleife v14.09.19=45
Track - Euroring v1.11=93
Track - Feldbergring v1.4=46
Track - Fonteny v1.1=91
Track - Fuji Speedway 1968 v1.0=47
Track - Grobnik 09022020=141
Track - Horsma v1.0=48
Track - Kakucsring v0.95=94
Track - Kicevo v2.0=49
Track - Knockhill v1.2=50
Track - Kyalami 1967 v1.0=51
Track - Kyalami v0.9=85
Track - Lausitzring v1.31=99
Track - Le Grand Circuit 1967=52
Track - LeMans v2.05=83
Track - Limerock v0.9=53
Track - Longford 1967 v1.01=54
Track - Mallory Park v0.99=128
Track - Mas Du Clos v1.3=129
Track - Mexico 67 v1.11=90
Track - Mid Ohio v1.0=76
Track - Mill Metropark v1.2=55
Track - Miseluk v1.0=56
Track - Monaco 1966 v1.2=111
Track - MoSport v1.0=57
Track - New Jersey Motorsport Park v1.1=58
Track - Norisring v3.10=59
Track - Nürburgring 1967 v1.1=95
Track - Okayama v0.93=60
Track - Okayama v1.0=101
Track - Okayama v1.4a (Skin)=61
Track - Oschersleben v1.41=62
Track - Österreichring 1979 v1.0=63
Track - Oulton v1.3.2=64
Track - Pannonia Ring v1.4=84
Track - Port Newark v1.0=134
Track - Portugal=65
Track - Pukekohe Park v2.0=102
Track - Putnam Park v0.98=66
Track - Queensland Raceway v1.1=67
Track - Riverside International Raceway v1.1=68
Track - Road America v1.0=135
Track - Road Atlanta v1.3=69
Track - Sandevoerde 29082020=140
Track - Sebring International Raceway (VLM) v1.1=70
Track - Silesia Ring v1.1.1=96
Track - Snetterton v1.1=71
Track - Sonoma v0.91=72
Track - Spa 1966 v1.1=73
Track - Suzuka v0.9=74
Track - Sveg v1.2.1=75
Track - Thomson Road Grand Prix v1.0=79
Track - Tor Poznan v1.4=77
Track - Tsukuba=116
Track - Virginia International Raceway v1.1=78
Track - Watkins Glen v1.1=115
Track - Willow Springs v1.02=117
Track - Zolder v1.4=142

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 5, 2020

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Rigs of Rods is 100% worth checking out if you like some or weird physics Sims in general. I played a huge amount when it came out, it's really fun.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

GhostDog posted:

Audi 90 GTO :)

Haha literally my favorite car in PC2. As it is now, I have so much content already in my various virtual garages that ensures at least a thousand hours of joyriding before I'd even cycle through to the paid mods. Some of them in your list are already looking like they'll be eventual must-buys though, so I'm already getting ahead of myself.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

VectorSigma posted:

Haha literally my favorite car in PC2. As it is now, I have so much content already in my various virtual garages that ensures at least a thousand hours of joyriding before I'd even cycle through to the paid mods. Some of them in your list are already looking like they'll be eventual must-buys though, so I'm already getting ahead of myself.

I think that Ghostdog kinda sucked the air out of the room by dropping an encyclopedia's worth of good rear end recommendations, however I'm going to add one more to the pile:
TRANSFAGARASAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHlLy59480s
https://www.simtraxx.net/shop/product/transfagarasan-romania-classic-ac-ultimate-edition/

There is a free version somewhere in there, but it is worth getting the one with traffic. They also have a version for beamng.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Zaphod42 posted:

Definitely consider Euro Truck Sim as well if that's the kinda driving you wanna do

I assume you mean the scenarios, which I have yet to even click in the UI. I went straight to Free Roam and ever since it's my dream open world rally/cruise sim with a brutally unforgiving and realistic damage model as a mere consequence of its nature. I'd also be lying if I said the thought of Euro Trucking hadn't already crossed my mind. I had been using Elite:Dangerous to scratch my trucking itch but now that I have this wheel I might try some terrestrial hauling.

On that note, does anyone know if the wheel support in the original Spintires is worth a drat?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

VectorSigma posted:

On that note, does anyone know if the wheel support in the original Spintires is worth a drat?

It's lovely. The sequel/remake (MudRunner) is supposed to be better, in part because it has an actual first-person view, but that's a game I'm perfectly content to play kicking back on a couch with an Xbone pad.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Added ACC, AMS2, Dirt Rally 2 and F1 2020 to the OP and revised the texts a tiny bit by making the shorter mostly. Left out pCars3 because from what I gather pCars2 is still the better fit for a PC racing thread? Gonna wait for WRC9 to come out before I add that series.

Edit: Oh, WRC9 came out yesterday apparently. Gonna check some impressions.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 4, 2020

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Bored and listening to podcasts, I decided to make a bit more of an effort with my mod post, here are my favorite mod tracks with links. I'm gonna link this post in the OP, if you wanna do your own posts with favorite mods I can link those too.

Some of these tracks have several versions online, these should hopefully be the best and latest. Also some of these are mediafire links, those might always go...

Edit:
For Bikernieki, try the High Speed Ring layout.
Calabogie: Stadium.
Horsma: Trophy.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 5, 2020

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
And here's the effort post of my favorite car mods:

Single Cars
Cars Packs

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 24, 2020

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Bikernieki is lots of fun and the forest setting is really nice. Especially in VR.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Alrighty, got everything set up, Content Manager, Sol, the whole enchilada. I don't want to know how many hours I spent tweaking my .lut to perfection, but the end result was worth it. I used the same curve in BeamNG as well, which led to a couple additional hours of smashing the Tail of the Dragon in an F40 before I got back to Assetto. Thirteen GB of tracks downloaded later, I think it's time to rest before I begin filling my garage.

Thanks for all the suggestions, in appreciation I give you this BeamNG trick landing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KoO-DYnKH8

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is tail of the dragon a default map in beam.ng?
And the F40 for that matter.

I've only played around with the vanilla stuff in that game and found the maps to be too small to really get lost in.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is tail of the dragon a default map in beam.ng?
And the F40 for that matter.

I've only played around with the vanilla stuff in that game and found the maps to be too small to really get lost in.

Tail of the Dragon/Deals Gap is in BeamNG's official mod repository, the F40 was acquired elsewhere.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

VectorSigma posted:

Tail of the Dragon/Deals Gap is in BeamNG's official mod repository, the F40 was acquired elsewhere.

Awesome thanks!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I get my Fanatec peddles today! :toot: After thinking about it more, I think I want to just make the jump to a Fanatec steering wheel, but I need recommendations again on what to buy. My main requirement is that I be able to mount the base to a desk. Looking at spending around $600 - $700 for the total package? But less than that would be really nice, its just that looking at what Fanatec offers, it doesn't look like I can get below $600 for any wheel setup.

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I get my Fanatec peddles today! :toot: After thinking about it more, I think I want to just make the jump to a Fanatec steering wheel, but I need recommendations again on what to buy. My main requirement is that I be able to mount the base to a desk. Looking at spending around $600 - $700 for the total package? But less than that would be really nice, its just that looking at what Fanatec offers, it doesn't look like I can get below $600 for any wheel setup.

https://fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/racing-wheels/csl-elite-racing-wheel-officially-licensed-for-ps4

Fanatec has the CSL elite base and simple wheel for around $500. It is what I currently have and had it mounted on a table for awhile.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

For fanatec wheels there's just 3 things to look at, the CSL, The Clubsport, and the Direct Drive Podium. The third is insanely expensive so that's right out.

The Clubsport is nice but the wheel base alone is basically gonna fill your budget. So its just a question of money. The CSL is still really good and then you have money left over to buy a nice steering wheel or shifter or whatever.

Or maybe you decide its worth buying the Clubsport and you can save up and buy rims later or something. Up to you, but the three options are clearly divided by price, each is clearly better than the last but you gotta think about how much bang you're getting for your buck. Its not like one is better for X and the other is better for Y, that doesn't exist.

You can buy a table clamp for any of them, the CSL may come with one? Not sure. The others don't.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did quality control ever get better on the podium wheels? I remember a bunch of people having issues with them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The manual for the CSL Elite shows a table clamp is included https://fanatec.com/media/pdf/a2/26/8f/CSL-E-Racing-Wheel-PS4-QG-ENQrKJOsaS14Qg4.pdf

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Having bought the CSL Elite F1 set a couple months ago, the wheel does indeed come with a table clamp.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The new CSL elite revision also comes with the same drive motor as the clubsport, just without the second drive belt and nicer metal casing. It's quite nice.

Can confirm it comes with a table clamp as well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm still quite salty I didn't pull the trigger on a CSL set when they had that amazing black friday sale. I had a wheel and was like ehhh I'm not going to upgrade.. but then my second T300 died of power issues and I was sad.

a CSL elite for 299 w/ 2 pedals was a p good deal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

tater_salad posted:

I'm still quite salty I didn't pull the trigger on a CSL set when they had that amazing black friday sale. I had a wheel and was like ehhh I'm not going to upgrade.. but then my second T300 died of power issues and I was sad.

a CSL elite for 299 w/ 2 pedals was a p good deal.

Hopefully they will have something like this again for this Black Friday. I will wait until then now that I know this is a possibility.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Their black Friday deals are usually just "what do we have that we want to get rid of"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Hopefully they will have something like this again for this Black Friday. I will wait until then now that I know this is a possibility.

it was 3 years ago.. I doubth it's going to happen.. if it does.. I'll click BUY so fast.. I dont' care I'll return cans till I get that money back if I need to.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay, had a chance this afternoon to setup my CSL Peddles, and realized that the package does not come with a USB adapter. :cripes: So won't get to enjoy these just yet.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

With supply being so limited and production being messed up by COVID, I'd be shocked if we see any heavy discounts this year.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

:v:

:piss:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I looked back 8 pages and didn't see an F1 2020 thread. I know it's not really a sim in the true sense of the word so sorry!

I played it a bunch when it came out and was disappointed that my new xbox 1 controller didn't do anything fun with the trigger vibration/variable resistance if that exists. I chalked it up to just not being coded into the game or maybe because I'm on PC it wasn't working. I booted it up yesterday and crashed immediately because my triggers are dynamically vibrating now and maybe adjusting force resistance but I can't really tell.

Was this just added? And yes I know gamepads are horrible for driving games but I don't have anything else.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Got my CSL Elite Pedals setup finally, acceleration works just fine, but the brake pedal is not recognized. Double checked the connectors, no issues there, updated the firmware, installed the drivers, restarted, still no go. Not sure how to trouble shoot from here, any suggestions?

[edit]
Success! The cables are very sensitive.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Is WRC9 looking any good? Watched Jimmy's video and he seemed to like it. Visually it looks pretty boring compared to Dirt Rally 2 but it could be YouTube compression. I generally prefer the historical cars over modern WRC cars so I might wait till it gets a bit cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPsSLM2WYcg