Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
This game has been unplayable for so long.

I would like to take this time to remind you of the solemn promise Valve made when they decided to make TF2 into a F2P game: they would remain vigilant about hackers and we have nothing to fear. Valve will not let TF2 be overrun by hackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Sanctum posted:

This game has been unplayable for so long.

I would like to take this time to remind you of the solemn promise Valve made when they decided to make TF2 into a F2P game: they would remain vigilant about hackers and we have nothing to fear. Valve will not let TF2 be overrun by hackers.

I'm annoyed you didn't say "solemn vow" in this post.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I agreed to play in the HL offshoot of my 6s team solely because casual is broken and I want more plink time even though I hate HL.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I still sometimes tinker in my head with the idea I thought up years ago for a 12 vs 12 Comp format, even though I know perfectly well it would never actually work in real life

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

the engineer payload nerf was incredibly necessary imo

the wrangler needs a harder nerf still though

e: lmao the volcano fragment change is amazing

imo the pyro airblast needs to be nerfed slightly, at least make it so that it doesn't affect ubers as much

yeah wrangler looks a bit too powerful still
as for airblasting ubers i wonder what you could do to make it skill based rather than spam m2.
i thought perhaps this;
-if pyro airblasts the person being ubered nothing happens
-if pyro airblasts the medic, both people get knocked back.
this would make it so ubers are still threatening as hell cause as pyro you still have to contend with like a heavy or whatever trying to deny the uber, trying to squirrel your way to the medic
the medic can engage in actual skillful gameplay trying to outmaneuver the pyro. means he has to stay behind their partner, but not too far back so the beam disconnects/cant do some meaningful push. but also they cant get too greedy going forwards else both people get punished, meaning the pyro is still a threatening presence for the uber.

a big downside is i imagine you wouldnt enjoy getting punished by your medic's lousy play but also you didnt defend him well enough.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

drrockso20 posted:

I still sometimes tinker in my head with the idea I thought up years ago for a 12 vs 12 Comp format, even though I know perfectly well it would never actually work in real life

The original tf2 competitive format was 8v8, max 2 of any class.

You can probably still find some videos of it around, but the big takeaway is "lmao at trying to push through a choke defended by two demos". Also having medics wander around with an overheal really changes the dynamic with sniper, in a generally not-very-good way.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The easy way to implement twelvelander is to copy highlander but add in 3 ineffective sub-classes. For example: fat scout, combat med, trolldier, jumper/parachute demo, pyroshark, etc.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Girbot posted:

Stop giving Valve money. Tell your friends.

In what world would this make Valve pay more attention to TF2?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

In what world would this make Valve pay more attention to TF2?

they use it purely as a means to squeeze money out of people who haven't yet realized that tf2 is dead and if that cashflow dries up then they might wonder what happened

which is probably more engagement than there is right now of 'occasionally grunt and kick out a new batch of hats made by people who don't even work at valve'

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

The easy way to implement twelvelander is to copy highlander but add in 3 ineffective sub-classes. For example: fat scout, combat med, trolldier, jumper/parachute demo, pyroshark, etc.

That was basically the idea, first 9 slots follow Highlander rules, then the 3 additional slots would be an additional Scout, Soldier, and Pyro each

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah but make it like milk/FoW only scout. The point is those 3 are barely able to contribute BUT if they happen to get a med pick or something it would be loving incredible.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah but make it like milk/FoW only scout. The point is those 3 are barely able to contribute BUT if they happen to get a med pick or something it would be loving incredible.

Nah the whole point is that it would be a serious format, not a dumb gimmick one

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
would rather watch a format that included mandatory demoknight and fish scout than one that had 2 pyros

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ArfJason posted:

heavyisgps released a video that sums up the most interesting changes from his balance mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtTysgofSuI

i joined a server in brasil that ran it but i got 200 ping and there were only 3 other people in it

is this one of those SVN mods like Open Fortress? I've been enjoying that, but I would like Capture the Flag to finally make an appearance.

edit: lol, health regen on the stock Bonesaw. that's too sick

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Victory Position posted:

is this one of those SVN mods like Open Fortress? I've been enjoying that, but I would like Capture the Flag to finally make an appearance.

edit: lol, health regen on the stock Bonesaw. that's too sick

It’s a TF mod not a stand alone like Open Fortress. They are mainly running in European Servers, but creators.tf has some as well

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It’s a TF mod not a stand alone like Open Fortress. They are mainly running in European Servers, but creators.tf has some as well

oh yeah, the dude said that he is not using any assets like sounds or models that arent in tf2 proper so as to not have any barrier to entry. its a shame it has such little playerbase tho

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
This was fun to find out about and I hope it gets picked up officially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnBDMZ-9-Dw

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

mfcrocker posted:

Mastercoms:
https://youtu.be/EzWNBmjyv7Y

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

mfcrocker posted:

God please, please let this lady shower mercy onto my game

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hihohe posted:

God please, please let this lady shower mercy onto my game

gently caress no keep mercy in OW please

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

gently caress no keep mercy in OW please

Does have me wondering now broken a Medigun that works like Mercy's staff(switch between a healing mode that doesn't overheal* and a damage boosting mode, uber chains your stream to every ally within a certain radius of you and boosts the effects as well) would be

*well since overheal is kinda essential to how Medic works it probably would instead just have a really low max overheal instead

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Mercy's healing is like original quickfix where you don't overheal but you do heal so fast that it's practically impossible for whoever you're actively healing to die unless they're being actively focused by most of the enemy team (or they're a character that can still get one-shot).

You don't need overheal to make that obnoxious to play against, just a map that has a corner.

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"
I knew there was something off about the iron bomber that made it such an easy crutch for demoman but drat that's a huge projectile bug.

Mastercoms config made TF2 playable for me years ago and I am glad to see them still trying to do good work for the game. I hope valve implements their fixes soon. Also maybe a captcha test to queue for casual..

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm actually reminded of a pitch for a TF3 which would spin off Trolldier and Demoknight into its own classes, the former definitely going for a human cannonball theme.

Would still be amazing if Soldier gets into TF2 with a Rocket Jumper up-B and Market Gardener down-air.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

As a pyro / soldier main I'm of the opinion still, to this day, that the airblast needs nerfed a bit. The cost should be raised a bit for the stock launcher and it should have way less of an effect on Ubers. It feels bad to stuff a push just by holding m2

I saw someone say something about the airblast only working on the medic and not the target, which is an interesting idea

Speaking of if you're playing soldier and there's an airblast happy pyro on the other team nothing fucks them up harder than equipping the mantreads. They have no idea how to deal with it lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

As a pyro / soldier main I'm of the opinion still, to this day, that the airblast needs nerfed a bit. The cost should be raised a bit for the stock launcher and it should have way less of an effect on Ubers. It feels bad to stuff a push just by holding m2

I saw someone say something about the airblast only working on the medic and not the target, which is an interesting idea

Speaking of if you're playing soldier and there's an airblast happy pyro on the other team nothing fucks them up harder than equipping the mantreads. They have no idea how to deal with it lol

These days I am but a filthy casual, but my thought is to give the airblast an extended soft cooldown where if you use it in rapid succession subsequent blasts would have some combination of a smaller hit area / weaker push / lower vertical trajectory (for players and projectiles.) I think the payoff for a well placed airblast is appropriate as-is, and I think the old airblast cooldown was too punishing, but repeated airblasts are just a bit too effective.

(I guess alternately, make the cooldown longer if you actually catch anything in your blast, so you still get to try again quickly if you whiff but can't juggle people back as rapidly or shut down continuous projectile spam, but that seems like it might feel even less consistent.)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Warpy posted:

I knew there was something off about the iron bomber that made it such an easy crutch for demoman but drat that's a huge projectile bug.

The "nine times larger" hitbox thing going around makes it seem a lot worse than it is. With the way projectile hitboxes work and the fact that the default pipe hitbox is actually tiny(the iron bomber hitbox is the size you would expect it to be while the pipe hitbox is actually nowhere near as big as the pipe model) it mostly boils down to there being a very small range where you can aim that will cause Iron Bombers to hit and all other pipes to miss. It's like, a few pixels. The difference exists but is actually quite minor, which is the reason why everyone vaguely felt that the iron bomber was easier to land shots with but also never really knew or confirmed it for several years.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
This is a pretty good video of it in action talking how it is easier, but not quite the video that’s going on in the other video. https://youtu.be/pT9j0sjrkm4

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think the dragon's fury should have been the baseline for pyro and have all the rest crib from that in terms of how they function

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's weird to see people legitimately wanting to nerf the pyro as if he wasn't a sitting duck for most of the 4 actually good classes in the game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am still sad by the axetinguisher nerf. Puffing and stinging was one of the best things you could do. I really do not think they should be nerfed more.

Admittedly Pyro is my joint most played class (with med).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, the nerf was weird because it was such an obvious strategy between multiple weapons and the nerf not only completely invalidated both of them it also switched the stats on the axtinguisher to be extremely confusing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's weird to see people legitimately wanting to nerf the pyro as if he wasn't a sitting duck for most of the 4 actually good classes in the game.

i said what i said because i like using the dragon's fury a lot and i hate things where you just hold down a button and run at people. part of me feels like if the pyro had been built from the ground up with something like the aimed puffs in mind then maybe it wouldn't have ended up such a weird and stupid class to balance.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i said what i said because i like using the dragon's fury a lot and i hate things where you just hold down a button and run at people. part of me feels like if the pyro had been built from the ground up with something like the aimed puffs in mind then maybe it wouldn't have ended up such a weird and stupid class to balance.

I didn't consider your suggestion a nerf at all, and is probably correct. It's more the idea of nerfing airblast, the only thing that lets the pyro even vaguely attempt to go toe-to-toe with a soldier or demo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I mean I think people agree the engineer isn't as strong as Soldier but also (correctly) think the Wrangler shield is bad and should be nerfed

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

all nerf discussions in this game are pointless because soldier has been the untouched best class in the game for 13 years now and adjusting the balance of the other classes while he continues to be better at everything than them is a huge waste of time

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

all nerf discussions in this game are pointless because soldier has been the untouched best class in the game for 13 years now and adjusting the balance of the other classes while he continues to be better at everything than them is a huge waste of time

:agreed:

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Soldier isn’t the best class in HL or 6s so not really sure why they’d need to be nerf’d. They are good in a lot of situations but can be countered. At high skill levels scout, sniper, and demo are all better and more important.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Soldier isn’t the best class in HL or 6s so not really sure why they’d need to be nerf’d. They are good in a lot of situations but can be countered. At high skill levels scout, sniper, and demo are all better and more important.

a very relevant take for the, generously, 2% of the community who play those modes. Also not even really right given that in my experience soldier is pretty loving important in 6s which is why he's 1/3 of the team composition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Stop being mean to the Pyro and give me back my Axtinguisher.

Switch to the medigun that expressly prevents knockbacks or tell your dumbass heavy/demo to kill the Pyro.