Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
With Noir the nature of his costume and lack of talking mean they could just pull a fresh one out of the vat like Rei Ayanami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Shageletic posted:

considering that it's pretty much how the strike against Osama Bin Laden went, including killing unarmed women, and it was celebrated as a triumph...i think not.

killing civilians doesn't even rate being mentioned in the paper.
Killing civilians is clearly a huge infraction, and even Homelander knows this. This is why he lies about what happens onboard the airplane.

This is why Stormfront kills all the witnesses to her racist killings

If they decide to kill civilians out in the open, that would be a huge point of no return.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 15, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

davidspackage posted:

Really liked this shot of Homelander. Not only did he look evil as hell with the black eyesockets (looked more dramatic on my TV than on my laptop here), but it also struck me as very comic booky, like something from Mignola.

Reminds me of like

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Bummer this season is only 8 episodes.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

Bummer this season is only 8 episodes.

It is making things feel a little rushed, like how Butcher went from desperately scrawling out the height of trees and angle of the sun in Becca's neighborhood to being handed her address in 2 episodes.

Given how bloated a lot of the streaming service 12 episode shows are though, I don't mind.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Baudolino posted:

Kid is being raised in å compound with only himself and his mother, maybe å few actors. Thats what gonna gently caress him up. The problem is not that becca is å single mother. I dont understand how anyone could think Thats what i meant. Becca is doing what she can to mitigate the damage, but there will be damage.
I mean, that's what I thought because that's what you said.

Baudolino posted:

I always assume Becca had very little choice in giving birth or not, once she went to Vougth and told them she was in their clutches.
Her staying with the child makes perfect sense. She is his only chanche of a somewhat normal childhood and a life without crippling emotional issues. Ofcourse she wants to stay to protect him.

Now with that being said. Growing up with just his mother around has to end up causing him some harm, one way or another. He migth have a kind heart but he is still going to struggle to function normally. Probably a ton of social anxiety just walking down a crowded street. Instead of cruel and creepy like his father he will be merely nice, anxious, weird and lonely.
Maybe they will give him a nicer ending, but relastically that`s a best case scenario from growing up like Homelander`s kid.

After reading a couple of replies as well as your own I get what you were trying to say, even if it wasn't exactly what you said.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Wondering whether Homelander saved Stilwell's baby for some scheme or weird power thing down the line? Becoming her authoritative figure or parent to one-up Stilwell/reverse their dynamic one last time or something. I guess it's also possible the writers just didn't want Butcher to become a baby killer and keep him somewhat redeemable.

Also surprised that Homelander didn't persist with his own son so readily after seeing clear proof that he's got powers too. I did like how Vaught's response to Becca was "he'll get bored eventually" and it seems to be true, kinda showing that the corporate knows him far better than he's likely willing to admit.

Baudolino posted:

Kid is being raised in å compound with only himself and his mother, maybe å few actors. Thats what gonna gently caress him up. The problem is not that becca is å single mother. I dont understand how anyone could think Thats what i meant. Becca is doing what she can to mitigate the damage, but there will be damage.

It's like a Clark Kent backstory but done in the most corporate-sociopathic way possible. Wouldn't be surprised if they're planning to have some kind of 'defining moment' for him like Becca being Uncle Ben'd.

w0o0o0o fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 15, 2020

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Quote is not edit..

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm just hoping when Black Noir's mask comes off he's not Sloth from The Goonies.

I'm guessing he's kinda hosed up mentally anyway, but the sobbing at the news was heartbreaking :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Avasculous posted:

It is making things feel a little rushed, like how Butcher went from desperately scrawling out the height of trees and angle of the sun in Becca's neighborhood to being handed her address in 2 episodes.

Given how bloated a lot of the streaming service 12 episode shows are though, I don't mind.

Yeah, I recall a great deal of discussion about how the Marvel Netflix shows could all have stood to be 8 or 9 episodes a season instead of 13 except perhaps Daredevil S1. But at the same time, the last two seasons of Game of Thrones show what happens when you try to overcompress. From my perspective I'd err on the side of length; I feel like I'd rather watch a show with a strong beginning and end that sagged a bit in the middle than a Greatest Hits compilation of story beats.

The way Butcher was given Becca's location works in service to the plot, though. For all his talk about the seven Ps, it shows up that Butcher really isn't very good at anything other than hitting people and that he isn't a team player.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Question for the people that read the comics, please spoiler the answer, not everyone may want to know the answer

So, compound V being real is big news, which means that there is no real reason Vought should've been the only company trying to poach heroes to work for them. In the comics, is there a discount superhero corporation with off brand The Seven or something similar? Obviously Vought wouldn't let them have any of the good ones, but to give the appearance of "free competition" it would be good for them to have a few of those around.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's be a hoot if Black Noir takes his mask off and his body is all charred and gross like Deadpool because he's got Hyper Healing as a power and terrorsupe didn't gently caress him up at all.

Jedit posted:

The way Butcher was given Becca's location works in service to the plot, though. For all his talk about the seven Ps, it shows up that Butcher really isn't very good at anything other than hitting people and that he isn't a team player.
It really did a lot to humanize Mallory.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Fanservice-y as it would have been, I wish Homelander had let Blindspot go a round or two with Black Noire. It fit his nature better to just deafen him there on the spot though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mr. Nemo posted:

Question for the people that read the comics, please spoiler the answer, not everyone may want to know the answer

So, compound V being real is big news, which means that there is no real reason Vought should've been the only company trying to poach heroes to work for them. In the comics, is there a discount superhero corporation with off brand The Seven or something similar? Obviously Vought wouldn't let them have any of the good ones, but to give the appearance of "free competition" it would be good for them to have a few of those around.

There wasn't, really. Vought was huge on keeping all the superheroes under their umbrella, even the less than useful ones. It was done in a real edgelordy way, but they had a superteam who had some mental disabilities but also superpowers. They weren't as famous or as rich as the Seven, but they were kept under control, out of the way, and they all had incomes. Playing along with Vought was in every supe's best interest.

Jedit posted:

I think the location thing was more of a lack of resources than anything else. The US is a big, big country you can hide all sorts of poo poo in pretty easily. Even a walled compound like that wouldn't be impossible with enough money, but the CIA or the NSA would be able to find it really, really fast if they were trying. Vought has to list all their assets somewhere for tax purposes and the government would have access to all those records and they would absolutely want to know about a walled compound that size inside the continental US.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

moist turtleneck posted:

Quote this post if you want BioShuffle to get probed until the season is over

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bioshuffle posted:

Killing civilians is clearly a huge infraction, and even Homelander knows this. This is why he lies about what happens onboard the airplane.

This is why Stormfront kills all the witnesses.

If they decide to kill civilians out in the open, that would be a huge point of no return.

Shut the gently caress up racist

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bioshuffle posted:

The guy on the stairwell wasn't a witness to anything- she killed him because she'd a racist. The people living on the next two floors above that guy didn't witness anything, she still killed them too.

She was going out of her way to kill people. She was going out of her way to kill black people.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The guy on the stairwell wasn't a witness to anything- she killed him because she'd a racist. The people living on the next two floors above that guy didn't witness anything, she still killed them too.

She was going out of her way to kill people. She was going out of her way to kill black people.

I'm talking about the fact that she blows up an entire building and kills like what was it- 80 people? She wanted them gone.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
we're reaching "bats aren't bugs" levels of discourse for you here.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I want Black Noire's mask to come off and the reveal to be that he's just really into the whole part he plays like a wrestler or something sticking to kayfabe at all times and that he's just a normal super dude who's completely dedicated to his job because he believed he really was a natural born super hero and that he was the Good Guy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Under his mask is yet another mask. And below that mask? Another mask. His actual super power is that he is constructed of nothing but nested sentient masks.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\/\/\ Dang it.

I want Black Noire's mask to come off to reveal he has another Black Noire mask underneath.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
Some of you guys are bad at watching TV shows.

I'd compare the way the super child is being raised to a home schooled kid. He seems to have tutors and a grandmother figure that he regularly goes to when Becca does "errands". It's not like Vought is poor so they're probably willing to invest some infrastucture into the project since they were clearly very concerned that Becca was going to kill herself in front of the child. The compound seems to be pretty massive and he's still pretty young so it's not like he'd chomping at the bit to get out and see the world.

He's probably not going to be the most social or outgoing kid. I think the thing that's most likely to cause him issues is Homelander turning up out of nowhere, claiming to be your father and then throwing you off the roof. Though we've already seen him react to that by rejecting Homelander and his ideals.

I'm pretty sure the reason why they didn't want any witnesses on the aeroplane incident was because it was a plane that had american citizens on it and if they couldn't save all of them there was no point in saving some of them; plus he was able to spin it as reason to let them into the army. Also regarding Homelander actions in front of the army, if you think back to the scene you can see and hear all the soliders grimacing and looking disgusted as he proceeds to laser the compound and then casually walks out to declare the job done.

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm talking about the fact that she blows up an entire building and kills like what was it- 80 people? She wanted them gone.

Look, I get your bad at watching TV but the implication is that she recognises the building is mostly full of minorities and therefore gleefully tears through it with her powers and then shifts the blame to the terrorist; a convient excuse for her to let loose.

Also that whole "empowered women would get an abortion thing" is pretty ignorant and even though you're bad at watching TV you really shouldn't have come to that conclusion.
Becca deciding to stick with the child was a pretty sad scene for me, you understand why she did it but wow that would have hurt Butcher.

I'm glad all you guys are enjoying the two Kiwi actors on the show and that people have a greater appreciation for Antony Starr. He did an amazing job on Outrageous Fortune (New Zealand Crime Drama Comedy Show) playing twin brothers that were the exact opposite of one another.

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 15, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The scene of the brother that was beaten by Liberty did give Emmet Till vibes and that connection to reality and real horrors made me recoil in a visceral way. Thats probably the first scene that's made me uncomfortable like that, and the first scene where on my rewatch I had to look away from basically the whole thing because holy gently caress

gently caress racists, gently caress racial violence, and gently caress this thread for reminding me how insidious it still is. I'm glad that there are still enough people to call this poo poo out

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My wife has no prior exposure to this show. No S1 watch, no comics, maybe a passing recognition of ads for it.

She walked into the living room when Liberty's Gran Ol Lynching happened and all she said was "well that's fuckin racist".

So people misreading that scene at all is just super insane to me.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

My wife has no prior exposure to this show. No S1 watch, no comics, maybe a passing recognition of ads for it.

She walked into the living room when Liberty's Gran Ol Lynching happened and all she said was "well that's fuckin racist".

I don't think anyone is taking the Liberty scene as anything other than horrifyingly racist. Even bioshuffle made the Emmet Till comparison first.

It's everything else from Stormfront/Liberty that is being read through Reicht-coloured glasses

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

FilthyImp posted:

She literally calls him a "black piece of poo poo" its not trying to be even a teensy bit subtle

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Mr. Nemo posted:

The comic and the show are two different things, almost everything has been modified and there's been some massive changes. I mean, major major ones that I'll avoid saying. That said the Seven are suppose to be the best of the best, none are treated as their equals. Payback is the second big team lead by Stormfront but they're vastly over shadowed by the Seven and are all about wanting to get as popular as the Seven are or maybe even joining them. Vought is the only real deal in town behind the supers with comic books, movies and all that merchandise behind them. That and Vought in the comic appear to be much better at keeping the supers under control than the show version does to this point in time. Even Highlander can be intimidated in the comic by the guy who basically is appointed to control the Seven and he's a normal man. He's so one of the best parts of the comic despite being part of the Vought cogwork.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 15, 2020

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's a shame Starr won't win any awards for his amazing acting as Homelander because 'superhero show' - but he really is killing it and he's both hilarious and terrifying

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

davidspackage posted:

Really liked this shot of Homelander. Not only did he look evil as hell with the black eyesockets (looked more dramatic on my TV than on my laptop here), but it also struck me as very comic booky, like something from Mignola.

Reminds me of the sinister style of Black Monday Murders

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You guys see any parallels between Homelander and Dennis Reynolds?

I mean we basically got Dennis's Double Life and Charlie Rules The World goin on

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

As Nero Danced posted:

Fanservice-y as it would have been, I wish Homelander had let Blindspot go a round or two with Black Noire. It fit his nature better to just deafen him there on the spot though.
That scene was really well put together.

Also on the Pippi Longstocking thing, the Nazi Aryan mythology was very explicitly pro-Scandinavian iirc, so that was a great reference and catch.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Phi230 posted:

You guys see any parallels between Homelander and Dennis Reynolds?

I mean we basically got Dennis's Double Life and Charlie Rules The World goin on

Yes. He is untethered and his rage knows no bounds!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Orange Carlisle posted:

It's a shame Starr won't win any awards for his amazing acting as Homelander because 'superhero show' - but he really is killing it and he's both hilarious and terrifying

Watchmen got a lot of awards.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Black noir will hide in a corner and mimic the sound of a carbon monoxide detector with a school recorder so that Vought doesn't get dinged by the building inspector

The deep will continue to be illiterate and get sent to a shittier city because he thinks the bad guy is behind a door marked pirate when it actually says private

Homelander refuses to leave floor 99 after a botched chemical peel

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Love the Pippi Longstocking catch

Also:

moist turtleneck posted:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

moist turtleneck posted:

That'd be great, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

alexandriao posted:

I forgot to link the image

black noir scribbles like a child :allears:
In my head that is how Batman would write notes to Gotham PD.

Bioshuffle posted:

Jesus christ man... I tried giving you the benefit of the doubt and talking to you as a human being. I explained to you earlier in the thread why people were reacting to you the way they did. I told you how your comments and posting style reflect the style of far right nazis but you still continue using the same tactics and deflections. You even used the phrase ad hominem after that goon pointed out your own ad hominem tactic. You eventually try and place nice but , some time passes and you go back to downplaying the obvious racial motivations for murder. I am not even sure it's to get a rise out of us as much as just your default nature to gloss over the racial based violence as we non whites don't matter to you. You also seem to get off a little at Homelander or Stormfront's power plays. See yourself in them perhaps? As someone you probably want to put in der ofen or hang from a tree: go away and get a stupid haircut and some iron cross tatts so we can easily spot you from afar.
In other words...

moist turtleneck posted:

edited for his original reply

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 15, 2020