Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why are nvidia interested in arm anyway? afaik they don't have a magic gpu pill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
presumably nvidia wants to diversify out of just gpus

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

looking to ship rackmounted gpu compute without being reliant on others for hard-to-replace components and ip.

also likely some play in mobile gpus/socs coming, possibly just to make cuda a default on that side too and get more of a moat.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 14, 2020

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Merkinman posted:

They're going to replace Google with Bing?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
stebe is phoebe’s real dad. pass it on.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

nvidia is buying arm. apple and nvidia have a weird grudge against each other. will nvidia use arm to gently caress apple?

if it was a possibility aapl would’ve bought them with change in they couch cushions

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Boiled Water posted:

why are nvidia interested in arm anyway? afaik they don't have a magic gpu pill

the speculation I’ve seen is is that Nvidia wants to monopolize ML hardware, and ARM can be their general purpose CPU to supplement the GPUs

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

if it was a possibility aapl would’ve bought them with change in they couch cushions

kind of blown away by the idea that yes, 40 billion us loving dollars amounts to nothing in aapl land

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

the other conspiracy theory is nvidia is going to be the ultimate patent troll and sue pretty much everyone under the sun

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I know some applications make special use of the touchbar, but I don't think any applications used for (my) development work has made special use of it. I switched it to just display the simple button layout with push buttons for volume and backlight, a very expensive replacement for hardware buttons.

at home my mba has no touchbar and it's perfect!!

except for the butterfly keys which were supposed to be the new improved butterfly keys that don't break.

they break. I get repeated keys all the god drat time now, and I'm covered for repair but I can't go to an apple store to get it fixed because the roni closed all the drat stores.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

the touchbar seems like it could have some cool applications, i’d take one above a hardware F key row if it was an option.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

stebe is phoebe’s real dad. pass it on.
stoebe?

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
I genuinely have not seen the touchbar be used in a way that an on-screen interface wouldnt solve more reliably, unfortunately

I've also heard horror stories about how easily they break

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the touchbar is fine

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
none of the reason given actually make sense for buying arm. forty billion dollars is a shitload of money, and there’s no scenario in which nv makes that money back. they were already an arm architecture licensee, they could have shipped any chips they wanted. owning arm won’t make them better at making socs, the tegra line is still going to be a dumpster fire.

for Apple this is bad news but not that bad. yes, they have a bulletproof license. but if arm stops listening to the direction Apple wants the architecture to go, and stops being helpful to designers then that’s a big drawback for apple’s future cores. it will be several years before this impact is seen in products. however they probably have enough freedom to continue forward without much support from arm, and diverge the architecture to meet their needs.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

this is probably a stupid question but why does apple need arm to agree on how to handle the architecture? why doesnt apple just do whatever they want with it?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/CBP/status/1305300486090825731?s=19

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

good to see they're finally cracking down on apple knockoffs.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lmao

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

the company on the box responded on twitter. i think cbp hosed up here unless those boxes say something like "manufactured by apple" on them because they seem pretty clearly to just be knockoff not people trying to hawk "apple" airpods.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://twitter.com/oneplus/status/1305503249919688706

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

this is probably a stupid question but why does apple need arm to agree on how to handle the architecture? why doesnt apple just do whatever they want with it?

arm is an experienced architecture design firm. it’s a valuable service and a skill set Apple didn’t have in house. they contracted arm to design a 64 bit architecture that met their needs. having a rigid spec to comply to is good, it keeps the cores consistent and decouples the architecture from the implementation. it keeps the chip designers honest, their work is tested against an arm conformance suite that tests more than just the use cases they care about. it gives them a standard process to submit changes to the ISA, where they are reviewed incorporated in a standardized way. the counterexample is intel, where every new core is weird in some quirky new way because their architectures and implementation are strongly convolved.

Apple could very likely go off on its own and take the architecture any way it wants. this is not ideal, but if nvidia screws it up then that will probably be what happens.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The Management posted:

none of the reason given actually make sense for buying arm. forty billion dollars is a shitload of money, and there’s no scenario in which nv makes that money back. they were already an arm architecture licensee, they could have shipped any chips they wanted. owning arm won’t make them better at making socs, the tegra line is still going to be a dumpster fire.

for Apple this is bad news but not that bad. yes, they have a bulletproof license. but if arm stops listening to the direction Apple wants the architecture to go, and stops being helpful to designers then that’s a big drawback for apple’s future cores. it will be several years before this impact is seen in products. however they probably have enough freedom to continue forward without much support from arm, and diverge the architecture to meet their needs.

isnt it an all stock deal? they are essentially getting it for a much steeper discount, because son has spent the past month pumping up tech stocks

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

If everybody making arm chips wants to order pizza for lunch and Apple wants tuna for lunch Apple is more than welcome to order their own tuna but then they have to go get it themselves and then tuna stinks up the meeting room for the rest of the day and maybe next time Apple doesn’t get invited to lunch. And Apple might be okay with getting their own lunches every day but 15 years down the line there’s going to be a few times that being invited to those lunches would have been helpful.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
cbp will soon announce that it seized a huge number of counterfeit iphones but it will just be a shitload of sarnsungs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that's also the company that told women on twitter to send them nudes to be able to buy thieir phones

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

it’s a term of the license agreement

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't think I've ever been less interested in an apple event, without arm macs who cares and there's going to be like an hour of it spent on iphone lidar magic

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

I don't think I've ever been less interested in an apple event, without arm macs who cares and there's going to be like an hour of it spent on iphone lidar magic

But maybe they’ll talk about actual AR hardware that you also don’t care about.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if apple has actually managed to make good ar glasses after everyone else has spent billions making goofy steampunk head computers with ps2-level graphics I would be legitimately surprised

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I would not be surprised if they made decent AR glasses but I would be surprised if they had worthwhile consumer use cases for them.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

tk posted:

If everybody making arm chips wants to order pizza for lunch and Apple wants tuna for lunch Apple is more than welcome to order their own tuna but then they have to go get it themselves and then tuna stinks up the meeting room for the rest of the day and maybe next time Apple doesn’t get invited to lunch. And Apple might be okay with getting their own lunches every day but 15 years down the line there’s going to be a few times that being invited to those lunches would have been helpful.

please do not microwave pointer authentication in the office kitchen

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

but there’s going to be new watches, dude. can’t wait to see Kevin’s stupid haircut as he spends 15 minutes talking about more watch features that will never be used by anyone and removed in future versions.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
brb, sending my heartbeat to tim

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

but there’s going to be new watches, dude. can’t wait to see Kevin’s stupid haircut as he spends 15 minutes talking about more watch features that will never be used by anyone and removed in future versions.

same. I love my apple watch so maybe I’ll get a new one and give my current one to someone in my family who wants it

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

that's also the company that told women on twitter to send them nudes to be able to buy thieir phones

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

isnt it an all stock deal? they are essentially getting it for a much steeper discount, because son has spent the past month pumping up tech stocks

nah, fair amount of cash involved which nv will mostly borrow

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if apple made a fitness band that didn't have a dumb tiny screen on it and just configured via your phone I'd buy one. def not gonna buy an apple watch though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in a shocking switcheroo, apple announces that all iphones going forward will be intel x86 powered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol

https://youtu.be/uzUozo1628U