Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
As a Fire Emblem fan looking to play more SRPGs, is Shining Force something I should check out? What are the actual major similarities and differences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Someone said Terraria has split screen now. As someone who has never played it before, would this be a good coop to try with my 5 year old? Basically how much can I carry her vs how much does she actually need to be competent? She likes minecraft on pacifist mode with me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rimusutera posted:

As a Fire Emblem fan looking to play more SRPGs, is Shining Force something I should check out? What are the actual major similarities and differences?

So its really similar with the big exceptions that between maps you run around in full fledged JRPG style towns with hidden items and NPCs and whatnot. There's a bunch of hidden items to make the ultimate equipment. Weapons don't break and you just buy new ones in tiers. Mage spells tend to have AoE and do fixed damage to distinguish them from your martial units and Mages have MP they need to manage. You can revive dead characters in town.

That's all I can really think of off the top of my head, almost everything else works really similarly up to and including the concept of promoting classes, branching promotions, the stats etc. Shining Force also has random stat gains but works a bit differently than FE in that there are certain benchmarks it tries to have characters hit so if someone has awful Str gains relative to what they 'should' have for a while it'll start rolling higher ones later to even it out and vice versa. Shining Force 2 makes this a lot tighter than 1 where there's some insane variance in the system.

Also the games are pretty easy.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

To whomever on here recommended Mr. Driller: Drill Land Thank You. Might be my GOTY.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Diddy Kong Racing is the game that consistently comes to my mind when thinking about where you go from Mario Kart 8. Move past the gliders and hovercraft/anti-gravity stuff and just go with full on planes and poo poo for certain tracks. Also lean into that single player campaign stuff as well and add some more meat to it beyond the standard array of cups at different CCs. Also gently caress it and just make it Nintendo Kart since you've already got Zelda, Splatoon and Animal Crossing in there.

I don't think Nintendo wants to admit that any aspect of Diddy Kong Racing was/is better than Mario Kart.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Odd Mutant posted:

I don't think Nintendo wants to admit that any aspect of Diddy Kong Racing was/is better than Mario Kart.

It's definitely not better. The track designs aren't as good because they had to accommodate for planes and hovercraft.

Geo Fixer posted:

To whomever on here recommended Mr. Driller: Drill Land Thank You. Might be my GOTY.

You're welcome.:) To anyone still on the fence, its still on sale right now for $22.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sonic racing transformed got planes and poo poo right, that game was amazing. Wish it would release on Switch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Tanooki and Hammer Bros suits are rare because they only REALLY start to show up in worlds 5, 6, and 7.

The flyover worlds.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People really need to get over their weird fixation with horny.

You don’t have to play it your fine get over it

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ugh, Mario. What's his deal?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If audiences were not meant to be horny about Mario then why did they put him in a cat costume in 2013 :thunk:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So here's a new Switch game with a weird peripheral: shooting bottle caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJXm3XksFQs

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

companies truly believe that combining injection molding and anime is a sure-fire way to profit

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Policenaut posted:

So here's a new Switch game with a weird peripheral: shooting bottle caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJXm3XksFQs

If this was around when I was a kid I would totally be into this.
These kinda remind me of beyblade.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

there's even an anime for that? what

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you're in the US you can buy it from Best Buy for $50. If you're not in the US you're going to have to buy it on eBay and, either way, you're not going to find it much cheaper than that even used.

What's going on here is that Yooka-Laylee is too niche of a title to get a mass-market retail release. Instead, it got a release through Limited Run Games whose deal is to make physical releases of otherwise digital-only titles that are sold direct to consumers. They only ever do a single print run of games they publish, so for Switch titles you have to preorder them months in advance, and then they manufacture the number of cartridges roughly matching the number of preorders and ship them out. If you miss the preorder window then you have to resort to purchasing second hand on eBay. Most titles can be acquired for roughly what they cost originally, however some have gone way up in price as more folks have gotten into collecting Switch physical releases than were around when Limited Run first started selling them.

Now, the exception to the above is that Best Buy has been purchasing some of Limited Run's titles for sale in their stores and on their website. It's still only a single print run and they're only purchasing a few thousand copies, but depending on how well the game does and how much it sells you can sometimes find older Limited Run titles in Best Buys. Yooka-Laylee is one of the earlier titles Best Buy bought (maybe the first?) and they likely bought way more than ended up selling, so they're still easy to acquire now. That's not the case for many other Limited Run titles they sold.

Well, it would help by allowing you to sell the ones you end up not touching or something.

Thanks for this, it really helped me understand exactly what's going on. I'm not in the US, but I could probably get it shipped to me fairly easily, so I guess the next question is if I think it is worth it to get the physical copy instead of the digital. Regardless, thanks for letting me know how this all works.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The real question is which is better Mario 64 or banjo?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Violet_Sky posted:

The real question is which is better Mario 64 or banjo?

Banjo and it’s not close

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Banjo is flashier but Mario is the better game imo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Click Clock Wood is the best N64 level but Mario is the better game overall.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Banjo by a mile. Mario invented the 3d platformer, Banjo perfected it

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm amazed by this string of wrong opinions above me. Banjo Kazooie is a very good game. A great game, even. Super Mario 64 is one of the most defining and important games of all time that is still an absolute blast to go back to.

Personally, I'd put Jak and Daxter 1 over Banjo Kazooie.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Not a Children posted:

Banjo and it’s not close
Just when I thought this thread couldn't possibly get any worse.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

They're both extremely good for different reasons, I personally prefer BK but it's close

Kirios posted:

:whitewater:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Banjo kinda plays like poo poo these days. Mario is still butter.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Banjo Kazooie is the most perfect game ever created

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Mario 64 is a glorified tech demo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Banjo injected what Mario 64 couldn’t into 3d platforming: soul

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Mario 64 is a technical achievement to be lauded but it has no personality or humour (much like you)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Mario sunshine, now that’s a game with soul babee!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

More?

Ok fight crab is today nerds

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Take a concept like docks

Mario 64 does docks with fuckin primary colour building block poo poo, totally uninspired

Banjo does docks with all the grime and grunge, the sounds, the smells, you really feel like you’re in a gross industrial harbour

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
banjo kazooie: you can really smell the dock level

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Shining Force was better because it threw out most of the dumb poo poo FE did even back then while FE has continued to revel in garbage mechanics like the random statups.

I'd take random stat gains if Shining Force was actually good instead of being Shining Force.

*Goes the first 8 levels on Byleth without a single str gain despite a 60% chance*

Rimusutera posted:

No, go play Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre (and Ogre Battle). Shining Force is real rough. Langrisser is better than Shining Force, too. Maybe Growlanser but the one I played back on PS2 was kinda weird. Play the Agarest War games if you want a bad dating sim storyline poo poo on top of your SRPG experience (and the postgame is only available via the true ending so good luck without a walkthrough).

Get 100% completion on the PSP version of Tactics Ogre and when you finish doing so sometime in 2025 there'll be another Fire Emblem game or two out. Probably.

CharlestheHammer posted:

People really need to get over their weird fixation with horny.

You don’t have to play it your fine get over it

This post/av combo. :discourse:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The main draw of SM64 was the absolute fuckin jaw dropping sense of wonder that came with it, honestly unless they work out matrix level brainjacking VR poo poo within our lifetimes I don't think anything is gonna compare to the awe I felt playing it in 1996. That it still holds up as a great 3D platformer nearly 25 years later is really just a bonus.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

there's even an anime for that? what

it's a jumped up commercial, what's confusing about this? they've been doing it since yugioh took off and everyone decided they wanted a piece of that pie

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Fresh off bubsy 3d, Mario was just a pale horse of platformers

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kirios posted:

Yeah I probably would too. Jak1 was the only one of the trilogy I could bring myself to re-finish when the HD ports came out.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd take random stat gains if Shining Force was actually good instead of being Shining Force.

Wrong again, Evil Fluffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Shining Force also has random stat gains so I have no idea why people are using that as part of an argument