Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I've been playing a game where i started as one of the sons of Ragnarr Lodbrok. It's now the 11th century and things are going well. I exit the game (i'm on ironman, so it saves when I do) and leave for a bit. I come back to play again, load up my save, and its from earlier in the day.

For whatever reason, the cloud save isn't updating and I can't seem to find my current save anywhere. Whenever I do anything in this save, quit, and load it up again it's from this same time.

Is anyone else having this issue? Can I turn off cloud saves somehow? I'm playing on game pass, by the way.

edit: If i quit out to the launcher, the launcher is even like "Hey want to resume your game you saved at 6:50pm?" but when I do it's the save from last night. It's definitely saving when I quit.

What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

I've been playing a game where i started as one of the sons of Ragnarr Lodbrok. It's now the 11th century and things are going well. I exit the game (i'm on ironman, so it saves when I do) and leave for a bit. I come back to play again, load up my save, and its from earlier in the day.

For whatever reason, the cloud save isn't updating and I can't seem to find my current save anywhere. Whenever I do anything in this save, quit, and load it up again it's from this same time.

Is anyone else having this issue? Can I turn off cloud saves somehow? I'm playing on game pass, by the way.

edit: If i quit out to the launcher, the launcher is even like "Hey want to resume your game you saved at 6:50pm?" but when I do it's the save from last night. It's definitely saving when I quit.

What the gently caress.

There is a weird thing where cloud saves just don't show up for some reason, but the workaround is pretty easy - instead of hitting continue just load into the main menu, go to load game, and click the "show invalid savegames" checkbox. The save is not actually invalid, but I think toggling this just forces the game to refresh the cloud saves and it will find it.

I am playing on Steam and I get the same thing so I don't think it's a game pass issue.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah, I tried that and my list just isn't updating at all.

The only save that's showing is the cloud save for my current ironman game which is from last night. It's at 19 September 1013. I loaded it up, let it run for a few seconds so that it was 30 Sept 1013 and saved it.

Loaded it back up and it's 19 September 1013.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 15, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Men-at-Arms having warp gates feels pretty busted (literally disband and reform across a continent in 1 day lol) but I am kind of used to it at this point and would be angry if that were taken from me

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

super fart shooter posted:

I imagine part of the problem is that the locals up here are having to fight against 10,000 man armies teleporting all the way up from Italy, so the pope can easily just keep blobbing up here.

Yes. On the one hand I love the teleport, because watching your armies take months trekking to the destination is tiresome, but on the other, it does feel cheap. They should take longer to gather or something.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So I think I hosed up my setting up my new religion with a spiritual head of faith. I assume that means I can't actually reform it to add all the beliefs I didn't have the piety for? If nothing else I want equal rights so I can start handing out duchies to the women of my dynasty. My steamroll across Europe has ran out of failsons to grant prestigious titles to.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That post that quoted "nothing personnel, kid" is how I've won the last 8 wars

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Oh dear me posted:

Yes. On the one hand I love the teleport, because watching your armies take months trekking to the destination is tiresome, but on the other, it does feel cheap. They should take longer to gather or something.

The basic idea is really great, rallying your armies in CK2 was a lot of dumb busywork, and they would often get intercepted en route so you'd get spammed with battle defeat popups... it was a mess. Having your army gather first before it becomes an actual unit on the map makes sense

I think there just needs to be a range limit on rally points, make it take longer for distance, and you should probably have to pay the equivalent embarkation fees if they're rallying overseas

I guess there's still the issue of men at arms... levies are tied to counties, so they've got a geographic basis, but maybe your MAA's should be headquartered somewhere, and you could change it, but it would take a while and maybe cost money, so they can't just teleport all over

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

I wonder how much of this distant exclave nonsense is the result of being able to teleport all your armies all the way across the world for free. The game is even worse then CK2 in that respect, in that game you could teleport vassal levies if they held a county in the target area, but only that vassal, and not your own troops. Now you can just teleport everything

The teleports is a big factor but the lion's share of the problem to me is that neighboring realms that should want to swallow up all those stupid exclaves just can't get enough warscore because their enemy's capital is on the other side of the world. Hell it discourages me from taking them too because even if I'm stronger I know that it'll be an incredibly tedious affair and require far more time and money than it's worth.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
You can tweak the exclave rule at the start of the game and still be legible for achievements. I think one of the alternatives forces exclaves to be independent. Maybe that could help?

Edit. Nevermind. I confused exclaves and enclaves. Also, reading up on it, it looks like total enclave independence has other issues. There's people who's seen vassals make their subvassals inside your realm also go independent.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 15, 2020

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
So I've been using my chancellor to speed along the integration of titles for a while in my current game, and I wondered why, despite having very high-skill workers, I'd never gotten the nice green-titled events promised by the task description, "nobles support integration," "culture supports integration," what have you.

I hunted down the trigger block for those events. An example:

code:
	trigger = {
		NOT = { has_character_flag = had_event_chancellor_task_2101 }
		exists = cp:councillor_chancellor
		scope:councillor = cp:councillor_chancellor
		scope:councillor = {
			diplomacy < high_skill_rating
		}
		OR = {
			AND = {
				highest_held_title_tier = tier_kingdom
				scope:county.duchy = {
					chancellor_task_2101_duchy_trigger = yes
				}
			}
			AND = {
				highest_held_title_tier = tier_empire
				scope:county.kingdom = {
					chancellor_task_2101_duchy_trigger = yes
				}
			}
		}
	}
In case you missed it, that's councilor diplomacy LESS THAN high_skill_rating (which turns out to be 15). They're all programmed backwards; none of the good chancellor events can happen when he's actually skilled. How the hell do you make an error like that?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e: misread the code

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Does anyone know what's going on with Canterbury Cathedral? I'm Asatru Norse, just took over and am still holding Dover and I'm getting a clipped error message saying
pre:
Building has been disabled because of these:
 All of these:
giving me 0 explanation. Is it just because I'm Asatru, and is it possible to demolish+rebuild something in that slot or make it work some other way? I'd look up the code myself but I'm using the Windows Store version so Microsoft won't deign to let me touch the game's files.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Sankis posted:

Yeah, I tried that and my list just isn't updating at all.

The only save that's showing is the cloud save for my current ironman game which is from last night. It's at 19 September 1013. I loaded it up, let it run for a few seconds so that it was 30 Sept 1013 and saved it.

Loaded it back up and it's 19 September 1013.

This happened to me too and seems to be fairly common. Something where the remote cloud save status gets corrupted and the file stops updating, so every time you load that slot it downloads the same save. The workaround is to go to your Documents/Paradox/CK3 folder and there will be a "last_save.ck3" file that is the autosave created when you exit that was supposed to be uploaded as the new cloud save, but wasn't. Move that into the "save games" folder in the same directory (create it if not there yet) and then when you launch the game you can manually load it from the Load Game menu. You basically have to do this every time you quit from now on, I don't know that there's any way from the client side to unfuck the cloud save itself

strong bird
May 12, 2009

canterbury is a holy site and you need to be in the christian family to use it. you can destroy it using the circle of arrows thing but im not sure if id recommend it because it uses its own Special slot and theres nothing else you can build there anyway.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

strong bird posted:

canterbury is a holy site and you need to be in the christian family to use it. you can destroy it using the circle of arrows thing but im not sure if id recommend it because it uses its own Special slot and theres nothing else you can build there anyway.
You can't actually destroy stuff without something to replace it with.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’m having a lot of fun with creating hooks. Murdering is a ball too, but it’s been great shutting down internal rebellions by bringing up the West African version of pee tapes to convince my vassals to behave. We’re Ghana be having a great time.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I didn't really consider the "Buy Claim" part of the Learning Lifestyle to be that cool...until I realized it can target the top-level title of a ruler??? These guys have the former Seljuk/persian empire title in my Sulayhid game

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone else see a bug where if you have two armies in a barony the enemy gets to fight them one at a time?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

DrPop posted:

I didn't really consider the "Buy Claim" part of the Learning Lifestyle to be that cool...until I realized it can target the top-level title of a ruler??? These guys have the former Seljuk/persian empire title in my Sulayhid game

You can't if you already hold a kingdom or empire title, sadly.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Is anyone having an issue where a save loads, hits 100% progress and then ck3 crashes? I've been having this the last couple of days. I can load older saves from before my current mod suite perfectly fine. I can start a new game perfectly fine. I can load the very first save of this playthrough fine. Making a new save and loading it works fine. Anything else crashes. It's very frustrating because I want to continue that previous playthrough.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Huh. That's annoying. The "Peerage" innovation is shown as one with regional availability, if there are enough provinces of your culture in West Francia. However, when you actually get enough, it switches to saying that it "must be unlocked by decision." Tracking down the decision, it's one that's actually hard-locked to Latin group, non-Italian culture - a pretty short list.

In fact...French culture isn't even in the Latin group, it's in the Frankish group. What? How is this supposed to work?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Strudel Man posted:

You can't if you already hold a kingdom or empire title, sadly.

You can't buy an equal rank once you're king or emperor, but a king should be able to buy an empire title.

As for exclaves.... finding a balance here is going to be work. I want them to leave in sea lanes.... to a degree. Like, Scandanavian starts should be able to take land unmolested on the other side of the Baltic. The UK should be able to take parts of France. Various places might want to take a stab at Brittany, which in turn might want to attack and expand in countries that aren't France. North Africa attacking some of the southern parts of Europe isn't remotely a stretch, especially if they grab the various islands.

But.... how it's implemented is ridiculous. It seems like each little exclave need only be a certain distance from the last one, and that's that. I'm not sure what the fix is.

RE: Teleporting levies
This can be fixed by simply making the time it takes to raise the levies take considerably longer the farther the chosen location is from the capital. I know from brutal experience that it already does to some degree, having been on the receiving end of declaring a war, and the enemy bull-rushing my levies while they raised near the borders, routing my assembling army and also preventing any more levies from being raised, as though all had been captured/slain/deserted, even though I outnumbered them 4-1. which was pretty devastating and forced me to rely heavily on allies and mercs. If it took a little longer to raise levies from distance, you could conceivably catch someone spread out too thin with their pants down, believe me, it's quite effective at crippling the army it happens to.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Is there anyway to see the opinion of someone to another person (i.e. not me). Like, if I'm looking to get agents to help me murder someone in a foreign court how do I know which people already don't like the target?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Veryslightlymad posted:

You can't buy an equal rank once you're king or emperor, but a king should be able to buy an empire title.
Yeah, I didn't convey that clearly. You can always buy a higher title than your own.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

My current ruler is now attempting to claim his own throne!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Why is my wife naked now? She became ruler of the little county she had a claim to after her uncle died or something. I had my player screen open at the time and she took her top off. She also stopped showing up in my council. Now I'm loading up the game again and welp...

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
So, you've decided you're tired of blobbing out and wanna try "playing tall." May I suggest to you: Bohemia. But why Bohemia?

Bohemia, in 867, is a single duchy of 8 counties. All are of the Czech culture and they're the only Czech provinces in the game, at this time. The layout of the provinces are that so your default capital, Praha, touches every one of your other counties.

The way that development works is that high development counties radiate out into adjacent counties, causing their development to also improve. So, if you're focusing on Praha, every other one of your provinces (that is every other Czech culture province in the game), is also going to be experiencing benefit from it. Development is helpful in making a province produce more in both troops and income, but also...

Technology. The main factor in improving in tech is the average development in a culture's provinces. Most cultures have many many provinces and most provinces around 867 are below 10 in development (including all of Bohemia's) but unlike Bohemia's, most other provinces wont trend up at the rate yours will. Because their layout isn't perfect, because they have too many and because...

Praha is close to being a perfect county. The only thing that would make it better would be to have its default county capital be on Farmland (for that 20% bonus to development) and for it to have one of those OP special buildings. Praha has six barony slots and three of them are farmland. I'm not sure there's a better province in the game, right now.

Praha's early problems should be quickly resolved by slapping down castles on your empty farmland, thus granting you that 20% dev speed bonus, when you move your county capital to one of them. Slap your Steward down on the county assigned to increase development and never take them off. Money will come from other places and you should never spread your culture for this strategy. Build only buildings that end with a percentage increase to development speed. Luckily they also grant tax bonuses, allowing you to further beef up your holdings.

Into general strategy: grab the centralization lifestyle perk with every ruler. It makes a huge difference and over decades will transform Praha into the city of world's desire. The learning focus is an excellent pillar to just hold onto throughout this play-through. The other development perks are in the middle tree and also, learning is the second biggest factor for tech, outside of culture dev. Convert to Catholicism to hit up the Pope for free cash every 4 years. Fuel that growth. It will also make your gigantic southern neighbors like you. Early in trying to make this work, I was swearing fealty to East Francia: this is a mistake. East Francia will often collapse and its successor state will let you get gobbled up. You're stronger alone.

After that's done, the biggest risk to an early defeat is the now aggressive pagans to your north. Solution: kidnap their rulers and convert them to Catholicism before releasing them. Your new friends are now a buffer state between you and the northern raiders. Secure powerful allies, just in case.

Your development will quickly sky rocket past the levels of Rome or Constantinople. By around 1200, my development in Prague was 90, the adjacent counties, which I did not touch, were at 85. Rome at that time was 70. Constantinople, 62. I had the final tech tree entirely unlocked within just a ridiculously short amount of time. Something like 20 years. You'll start noticing you're out teching everyone by around 1100. My suggestions for first techs to unlock, you guessed it: the development oriented ones. Good fun and lets you focus on what CK3 is really about: skillfully marrying off your daughters, playing a game of eugenics with your sons and clicking through lots and lots of popups.

Bohemia: give it a try.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

So, you've decided you're tired of blobbing out and wanna try "playing tall." May I suggest to you: Bohemia. But why Bohemia?

Bohemia, in 867, is a single duchy of 8 counties.

Sold

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

Bohemia: give it a try.

Czechs with Techs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So boots are OK for the adamites?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So boots are OK for the adamites?

Don't want to get hookworms.

Dorkopotamis posted:

Praha has six barony slots and three of them are farmland. I'm not sure there's a better province in the game, right now.

There is one:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

KingKapalone posted:

Why is my wife naked now? She became ruler of the little county she had a claim to after her uncle died or something. I had my player screen open at the time and she took her top off. She also stopped showing up in my council. Now I'm loading up the game again and welp...

Did she convert to the local religion or culture that might have nudity?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My heir is my son and my brother-in-law? Ok

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's a real crime that ck doesn't have the "I'm my own grandpa" achievement

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Okay, I now have two kingdom titles. But what's the deal with this:

Why is it saying that confederate partition is being used for my other heir? Is that something I need to fix?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Probably because of how High Partition works. Your designated heir gets half or more of your holdings, the rest of your children equally divide up the remaining holdings. You've only got 2 children so it's hard to see.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

SilverMike posted:

Probably because of how High Partition works. Your designated heir gets half or more of your holdings, the rest of your children equally divide up the remaining holdings. You've only got 2 children so it's hard to see.

That makes sense.

Next question, if I don't want the Kingdom of Scotland to go independent when I die what's the best course of action? Hang onto the land until I can form the Empire? Integrate it into primary title?

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
If I have an established holy order in which I am the patron of how do I go about boosting their strength? I was the first the establish an order and the subsequent orders are all progressively stronger. I’ve given them additional holdings yet they haven’t improved their troop strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ice Fist posted:

That makes sense.

Next question, if I don't want the Kingdom of Scotland to go independent when I die what's the best course of action? Hang onto the land until I can form the Empire? Integrate it into primary title?

I didn't think of that until now, but aggressively incorporating territory into your primary title would actually mean smaller and smaller kingdoms would be divided among your other heirs, eventually.