Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Arquinsiel posted:

Why would they care? For some of them they saw a Primarch yesterday.

And some of them haven't seen them for the "real" or even longer amount of time so that argument is fairly moot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

From the last Fabius Bile book that I just finished:

quote:

‘A new phase of the Long War has begun, and the old gods have returned to stride the stars. Guilliman has returned. And he has not come alone.’
Fabius paused. ‘How?’
‘Aeldari witchery. [..] That isn’t the main problem, though.’
‘I should hope not. If anyone knows how to butcher a primarch, it’s Ezekyle.’

Also a few paragraphs later, Fabius when told of the Primaris Marines:

quote:

Fabius dismissed the image. ‘Ezekyle wants something to counter them, doesn’t he? How predictable. They make oversized warriors, we make oversized warriors.’ He shook his head. ‘A galaxy of children, squabbling over their toys.’

:wink:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
All the traitor primarchs have been useless, a liability and/or cringe.

Can't see why chaos marines would think any different of a loyalist one.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MariusLecter posted:

Horus - Useless
Mortarion - Useless, Cringe
Alpharius/Omegon - Cringe
Konrad Kurze - Liability
Angron - Liability
Fulgrim - Cringe
Perturabo - Useless, Cringe
Magnus - Useless
Lorgar - Perfect, a golden boi, big himbo energy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MariusLecter posted:

Of Iron and Honor has an Iron Warrior lord freaking the gently caress out that ol Roboute is coming back because ultraman had previously crippled him during the scouring

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

please god why is Horus Heresy 3 so BAD ben counter I wanted to root for you but this is the most paint-by-numbers plot so far it's so BORING and nothing is elevating it at all this is actively making me want to stop being interested in 40k currently especially with better stuff to read and ughhhhhh

I'm 56% through it and pushing but je sus I should be worried and nervous about Horus' first major act of betrayal at Isstvan but instead I'm ready for everyone to die so the heresy can get moving already

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Just think of it like it's not only authored by several people in reality, but also in the realm of our most holy God Emperor. I'm sure some of the books in the bible were like insanely bad before 2000 years of reinterpretation, like five hundred pages of Jesus having a spear fight with satan but bad.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I finished No Good Men and I'm having trouble identifying a single story I didn't find v.-to-e.deece and I also like how they didn't murder the literal babby Ratling. :shobon:

MY HYPE DOTH MAGNIFY THE VARGANTUA.

:peanut:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 14, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Horus - Useless
Alpharius/Omegon - Cringe
Konrad Kurze - Liability
Angron - Liability
Fulgrim - Cringe
Perturabo - Useless, Cringe
Magnus - Useless
Lorgar - Perfect, a golden boi, big himbo energy

Magnus has had pretty decent success absolutely loving with the Space Wolves though.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

I finished No Good Men and I'm having trouble identifying a single story I didn't find v.-to-e.deece and I also like how they didn't murder the literal babby Ratling. :shobon:

MY HYPE DOTH MAGNIFY THE VARGANTUA.

:peanut:

Same. Usually BL anthologies have one poo poo story if not more but it was all good.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Horus - Useless
Alpharius/Omegon - Useless
Konrad Kurze - Useless
Angron - Liability
Fulgrim - Liability
Perturabo - Cringe
Magnus - Cringe
Lorgar - Useless, Cringe, Liability

Let's argue about this.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

VanSandman posted:

Let's argue about this.

Why? It looks accurate to me.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Magnus is clearly the liability of liabilities

Dude is outofhisdepth.jpg

baselessselfconfidence.xlsx

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why? It looks accurate to me.

Lorgar is neither useless, a liability, or cringe.

The trouble is, Erebus is all of these things in such vast quantities that they sort of rub off by association.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Lorgar is so canonically useless that even his traitorous brothers tell him that to his face.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Lorgar is so canonically useless that even his traitorous brothers tell him that to his face.

That's before he goes Super Sayan and saves Angron from a titan.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Magnus is like the primordial Nerd Lord, we have to accept that there's too much of him in us and thus he is elevated.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lorgar is unique in that he's the only character in the entire setting who appreciates what's happening and makes informed decisions.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lorgars decisions are hardly informed.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He knew the Emperor was an rear end in a top hat god (arguably more that the emperor himself knew) and he knew that more sincere options existed.

Plus he made a perfect city. And he spent the next 10,000 years doing what he loves. If anyone won Warhammer, it's Lorgar.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

moths posted:

He knew the Emperor was an rear end in a top hat god (arguably more that the emperor himself knew) and he knew that more sincere options existed.

Plus he made a perfect city. And he spent the next 10,000 years doing what he loves. If anyone won Warhammer, it's Lorgar.

He also literally wrote the book that a galaxy-wide religious movement would use shortly after his father’s “ascension” to the throne.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

moths posted:

If anybody is winning 40k right now, it is Mag Uruk Thraka.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

aphid_licker posted:

Magnus is clearly the liability of liabilities

Dude is outofhisdepth.jpg

baselessselfconfidence.xlsx
Magnus gambled so poorly the god of fate took pity on him and let him crash on his couch.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Lorgar got his rear end beat by Corax on Istvaan V, got his rear end beat by Corax in the Eye of Terror, then spent the next several thousand years hiding in a room from Corax and called it "meditating". :colbert:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Fulgrim killed Ferrus Manus and sent Guilleman into a several thousand year coma. He seems like the most successful of the bunch.

This makes me wonder: Do Primarchs age? They all grew up from children, but once they reach adulthood do they get old and grey?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ego-bot posted:

Fulgrim killed Ferrus Manus and sent Guilleman into a several thousand year coma. He seems like the most successful of the bunch.

This makes me wonder: Do Primarchs age? They all grew up from children, but once they reach adulthood do they get old and grey?

Neither the emps nor regular Astartes grow old the way humans do, so it would be super weird if primarchs did.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Just finished the Magos and pariah. Next book won't be published for a grip, right? Guess I can reread the Gaunt books.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
It might vary by author but Astartes do age, albeit extremely slowly and gracefully, with the exception of magic Blood Angel fuckery. I think there's also a story that includes a Custodes who grows so old that his reaction time gets slowed by a millisecond and he gets relegated to non-combat work? Maybe it was something else that slowed him down.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I think there's also a story that includes a Custodes who grows so old that his reaction time gets slowed by a millisecond and he gets relegated to non-combat work? Maybe it was something else that slowed him down.

I think there's a blurb in their codex that talks about Custodes who get so old they can't guard Big E anymore, so they ditch the bright gold armor and go wander the Imperium spying and hunting down threats.

Edit: P16 of their codex, The Eyes of the Emperor. They turn spy and alert the Custodes to bad stuff so the main Custodes forces can come deal with it. It mentions either getting old enough that they slow down, or wounded enough that they aren't fit for duty and cybernetics aren't sufficient.

thocan fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 15, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Good premise for a big RPG (possibly Deus Ex style): Seriously wounded custodian has to build up his skills again, wander the empire helping folks, but without being able to use his status (because he'd come across as too much and/or plot reasons). Of course, being a custodian, even a wounded one, it wouldn't be like "kill this group of criminals!" like in DX, but rather "take out this daemon Prince threatening a planet" or "eradicate an entire stronghold of chaos marines" or "single handedly stop a small hive fleet splinter".

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It might vary by author but Astartes do age, albeit extremely slowly and gracefully, with the exception of magic Blood Angel fuckery. I think there's also a story that includes a Custodes who grows so old that his reaction time gets slowed by a millisecond and he gets relegated to non-combat work? Maybe it was something else that slowed him down.

Isn’t Dante one of the older loyalists alive? And he’s super tired and maybe some dementia?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Miguel Prado posted:

Isn’t Dante one of the older loyalists alive? And he’s super tired and maybe some dementia?

He's also a Blood Angel. That's gotta wreck your psyche at least a little.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
re: Age, this is near the climax of ADB's Black Legion. Sigismund is 1,000 years old and faces Abaddon:

Sigismund would be faster in his ornate power armour, but there was no way of knowing how much age had slowed him.

[...]

And Sigismund’s age did show. It slowed him, the finest duellist ever to wear ceramite, to a pace that was no faster than Abaddon in his hulking Terminator plate. He lacked Ezekyle’s enhanced strength in that great suit of armour, and age and weariness robbed him even further. He was already decorated in the blood of my slain brothers; this was far from his first battle of the day. Were his old hearts straining? Would they fail him now, and burst in his proud chest? Is that how the greatest of Space Marine ­legends was fated to end?

I found the signs of Sigismund’s age unconscionably tragic – a fact Ezekyle later mocked me for, calling it a symptom of my ‘maudlin Tizcan nature’. He remarked that I should have paid more heed to the fact that the Black Knight, at a thousand natural years of age, could still have stood toe to toe and matched blade to blade with practically any warrior in the Nine Legions. Age had slowed Sigismund, but all it had done was slow him to a level with the rest of us.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Miguel Prado posted:

I think the idea is that Astares/Custodes/Primarchs are biologically immortal, but the sheer wear and tear of a lifetime of hyperviolence wears down a transhuman's body much like how normal life wears down baseline humans.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thunder Warriors were a short term solution based on brute strength while the Marines were meant to endure as perpetual guardians. It just so happened that the aging immortality also came through with the few surviving Thunder Warriors who escaped the purge.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It’s the rare good story by Nick Kyme, Auric Gods.

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 15, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Astartes age. Very slowly, none except that Sigismund example or Dante live long enough for it to become a problem but they do age. In one book the Hrud cause the nearby astartes to age tens of thousands of years in a second and they get pretty decrepit before dying.

Primarchs kind of age. When the sister of silence sees Guilliman she remarks on the signs of him having aged, but also simultaneously having the same primarch vitality. More just the weight of years and responsibility than physical aging.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Horus "ages" when he steps into the warp on Molech too. He spent aeons fighting in the warp to consolidate his power and gain dominion over many demons etc. but in realspace he comes back out in a few seconds looking older. I always felt like their warp juiced (Greater Daemon?) souls are the immortal part, and their bodies are imperfect vessels that will degrade, just on a much larger timescale than even Astartes, like, orders of magnitude more.

Corax has figured out a lot about himself, and Primarchs in general, and it's why he is...what he is. The human(ish) body made by his father was unnecessary, and if anything, a hindrance, serving only to anchor him in realspace and let him pass as vaguely almost human.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 15, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You might not like it, but Corax is peak Super Vengeance Demon Bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

You might not like it, but Corax is peak Super Vengeance Demon Bird.

*Burn, by The Cure intensifies*