Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

I feel like there's no way the FOV is significantly different, it's clearly an iteration headset

It won't be significantly different. But I can believe it will be 3-5º better. It's shorter, so maybe the distance between optics and panel has changed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

I have a feeling that Facebook's whole rebranding exercise is partly because they want to move away from the platform being entirely games focused. The Quest 2's significant resolution bump makes it far more useful outside of that, it'll be a fantastic flatscreen media viewer too which widens it's market somewhat.

At the end of August, there was a leak about 'infinite office', keyboard tracking, etc.
https://uploadvr.com/infinite-office-oculus-quest/

With rgb stripe and extra resolution, I can imagine the Quest 2 being more adequate for productivity.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 15, 2020

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I hate that the best VR device is owned by a company that is going to explicitly sell your data to health insurance companies instead of the company that would start that project to sell that data and then everyone on the team would just migrate to other projects and it would only exist in a state of 'not canceled' forever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Joke's on them I don't even HAVE health insurance :smug:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

8one6 posted:

I hate that the best VR device

But Valve is privately owned :smug:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I could get a picture in my head of what Valve's endgame plan is. Like, they are clearly going hard on VR to the point where not only did they release their own headset, but they released a new half life game that probably cost them 95% of it's sales by making it VR only. At the same time the Index and the hardware it takes to make it worth owning is purely in luxury product pricing territory, and it also still uses sensors so it's way more geared towards hobbyists who are going to be willing to arrange part of their home around VR. It seems pretty clear what FB/Oculus is going for in the long run. idg what valve is trying to do though unless they just want to be like, the premium VR option and hope it proves profitable.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Wheezle posted:

You just need to get better at the game it's not that hard. :smug:

I totally agree with you

You joke, But thats really the case. High end mappers don't map for new players and even the wall maps have to be interesting enough for people to play. Regular players end up in OST E/E+ pretty quickly and once your brain clicks with the higher njs, hard hard stuff gets a poo poo ton easier.

Stan Taylor posted:

The more time I spend playing different rhythm games in VR the more and more I realize I just don't like Beat Saber. What a bummer, I should love i! The scoring is so fuzzy it makes leaderboard chasing a non starter for me, and I feel like a lot of the charts are just flailing around which makes it feel really sloppy and hard to read. I wish Audica had like half as many custom mappers as BS. Getting into a good flow in Pistol Whip or Audica is some of the most fun I've had in a long time.

Also Dance Central has a really, really cool UI and presentation. I really want Harmonix to make another, wholly unique game for VR.

Scoring is clear cut as day and when you're not good at the game high end stuff seems insane/impossible/etc.

Its not just flailing, It just feels that way because you're not used to it.*

*There IS some actual dumbass maps that are hard for the sake of hard and have either broken patterns that don't make sense or are just a mess of notes for the sake of it. Look up Sniffyz. Hes mah fav. or bbear. heh.

Thoom posted:

That, and I wish there was a more consistent definition of the difficulties. I've seen "extreme" songs that play anywhere between "OST1 Normal" and "how is it physically possible for a person to react or move their arms that fast!?"

Blocks per second seems to be a better proxy for difficulty most of the time, but gets hosed up easily by songs with long stretches of nothingness followed by colored block diarrhea.

If the map is "ranked" or named "silly" its probably going to be hard. The # of PP its worth gauges how hard it is. If its not ranked, Look at the note density. Its built in. The info is there before you ever open the map. NJS, Note Per Second, All of that.

Its funny watching people go through the same "this is impossible hard garbage" pains that everyone does because seriously once you get to the next step of difficulty, you're going to look back on some of these maps you figured we're impossible and laugh.

With all that said. If you want like, normal people music + maps. Good luck. Anything popular tends to end up in the trash bin due to garbage mapping or its auto generated and also trash. Obviously theres exceptions to that, but MOST known music is pretty poorly done.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leal posted:

Joke's on them I don't even HAVE health insurance :smug:

:patriot:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

With all that said. If you want like, normal people music + maps. Good luck. Anything popular tends to end up in the trash bin due to garbage mapping or its auto generated and also trash. Obviously theres exceptions to that, but MOST known music is pretty poorly done.

At least there's a shitload of anime music clogging up the list so it takes forever to scroll through if you aren't looking for something specific.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I wish I could get a picture in my head of what Valve's endgame plan is. Like, they are clearly going hard on VR to the point where not only did they release their own headset, but they released a new half life game that probably cost them 95% of it's sales by making it VR only. At the same time the Index and the hardware it takes to make it worth owning is purely in luxury product pricing territory, and it also still uses sensors so it's way more geared towards hobbyists who are going to be willing to arrange part of their home around VR. It seems pretty clear what FB/Oculus is going for in the long run. idg what valve is trying to do though unless they just want to be like, the premium VR option and hope it proves profitable.

I feel like the huge success of CS:Go and Dota have been really bad for Valve, in terms of fostering this mindset of 'we'll cater to the most hardcore who will structure their life around and will happily plough huge amounts of money our products'. All it really seems to mean is that they seem to launch so much stuff that takes for granted the existence of that audience, to the detriment of just about everyone else (and the audience itself ultimately), and makes their history of patchy and inconsistent support even more obvious to people. For example the Dota community is currently in uproar because the game isn't getting all that much support, and the whole Artifact debacle encapsulated the problem of treating your audience like a garuanteed income stream that will get you through the early stages of developing a service. The index seems amazing, but its sad to see them going all out on the dream headset when they could make so much more of an impact with something more practical and affordable.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Let me save everybody 5 minutes

EbolaIvory posted:

...git gud scrub...

My personal rule is to just ignore any song that only has an Expert or Expert+ map and that will let you avoid most of the difficult for difficulty's sake maps. The problem is there's not much left after that because the community feels like it's all about making the game as hard as possible.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 15, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

8one6 posted:

Let me save everybody 5 minutes

My personal rule is to just ignore any song that only has an Expert or Expert+ map and that will let you avoid most of the difficult for difficulty's sake maps. The problem is there's not much left after that because the community feels like it's all about making the game as hard as possible.

Is that the case? Searching on bsaber.com ...
Songs from the last 30 days with at least Expert+ difficulty: 1180
Songs from the last 30 days with at least Expert+ difficulty: 750
Songs from the last 30 days with at least Hard difficulty: near 400 songs.

So yeah, the ones with Hard mode are a minority, but it's 1/3 of the Expert+, not 1/10. It is still enough to play and have some fun every week? Even if we suppose from the 400 songs, only 25% are good and the others are poo poo, that's 100 songs.
edit: of course your musical tastes can cut the number quite a bit.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 15, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There is another possible leak (but it could be fake? we'll see), pointing to new games:

https://preview.redd.it/x1xbhusoa9n51.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=07f042e392567330fe8f8312ed65e1a1f78f85a6

The Climb 2 and Jurassic World Aftermath.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

If they were trying to get older gamers like me who've been waiting patiently for 20+ years for a viable VR experience, they loving nailed it. I just need games and buddies who want to play with me and it'll be amazing! I already hang out in Discord and stream what I'm playing and there's interest, but the pricetag is definitely not available to everyone.

Interesting side note: my Index's microphone is way better than my actual headset mic. I was shocked when my friends all said I sounded way better. (I've probably said this before, but I recorded myself the other night and holy poo poo they weren't kidding.)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

there is some merit in chasing the high end, enthusiast market by making the best possible product and pushing the technology boundary further. however i doubt valve can do that anymore after the facebook vr research stuff was released. they're decades ahead of valve.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, technology advances, maybe next year they can release a revision of the Index with a cheaper price?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If they make a revision, they should probably bump the resolution a bit.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Say I was silly and wanted to start doing that cool augmented VR stuff. I have a decent computer (1080, 9900K, lots of RAM) and (probably) a semi-lovely video camera that can likely do 1080/60. Do I just need a green screen and some software?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Basically, yeah. The LIV Discord is a good starting point for that kind of thing.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

SCheeseman posted:

Basically, yeah. The LIV Discord is a good starting point for that kind of thing.

OK. My wife used the cam at work to make training videos and left it there not thinking that COVID was going to keep her out for 6+ months. I'll see if we can snag it, then go from there. I've always enjoyed messing around with video editing, what better excuse to get back into it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

If they make a revision, they should probably bump the resolution a bit.

That happened already with the Reverb G2.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Any suggestions for who to follow if I want to beat saber more western non dance/anime maps on at least hard difficulty?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That happened already with the Reverb G2.

Not quite an Index though, it has it's own compromises. Narrower FOV, cheaper HMD design with no eye relief, narrower IPD range and relies on WMR tracking and it's ecosystem. The Index was worth it's price because it technically excelled at everything, as other HMDs start catching up or overtaking it's specs it's value drops sharply. It still has Lighthouse going for it though, enabling use of trackers and the like which while niche are important for mixed reality, video production etc.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's going to loving pain me to update the OP. I really don't like Facebook, but the Quest 2 is looking like it might be ridiculously good value. Unsure how angrily I should write.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

It's going to loving pain me to update the OP. I really don't like Facebook, but the Quest 2 is looking like it might be ridiculously good value. Unsure how angrily I should write.

angrily

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
just be honest about it

your OP was so good that I have a happy VR headset and games and I owe it all to you

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
In that promo video, is seems they're still using fresnel lenses for Quest 2. Is there a reason these are the standard? I can always see light reflected off of the rings, resulting in light smears/annoying god rays. Are non fresnel lenses worse in some way?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, technology advances, maybe next year they can release a revision of the Index with a cheaper price?

If the snapdragon the quest 2 is using is as good as it looks, we may not be too far away from a standalone SteamVR headset.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

hhhat posted:

just be honest about it

your OP was so good that I have a happy VR headset and games and I owe it all to you

:tipshat:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SCheeseman posted:

I mean, all you need to say is "you need a facebook account to use it, if this bothers you look elsewhere, if you couldn't give a poo poo, its a no brainer"

:shrug:

I don't understand the dilemma.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Great Beer posted:

If the snapdragon the quest 2 is using is as good as it looks, we may not be too far away from a standalone SteamVR headset.

There's too much technical x64/PC technical debt. I sometimes wonder if some kind of Zen3+RDNA2 SoC running Steam on a custom Linux distro could work but I'm not an engineer so I have no idea if that's something that's practical to create.

Tom Guycot posted:

I mean, all you need to say is "you need a facebook account to use it, if this bothers you look elsewhere, if you couldn't give a poo poo, its a no brainer"

I feel too righteous to let them off that easy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

This. Just warn that fake FB accounts could be a bad idea, so if that's a deal breaker, time to shop around for another headset.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Tom Guycot posted:

They basically are responsible for the rise of fascism in the US (and probably world, but I can only speak for here). I'm not giving them any money or data if I can help it.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Based on what we know so far I feel that I'm getting the Quest 2 for Jr for Xmas. They don't have a facebook acct but I'll make one, it will be 'real' in that it will have their real name kinda, so it won't be auto-removed, but they're a minor, so the extent of the account will be 'individual who plays VR games sometimes'

I think that's about the least I can give the facebook machine to feed on, based on my reading

My own FB account on the other hand, maybe I'll just unfriend everyone and archive my photos and unlike everything ever and replace my profile pic with a 'gently caress your system' gif or something, if I decide to still keep the Oculus in 3 years

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

My grandma has definitely been influenced by stupid poo poo on her facebook feed. They were traditionally fairly progressive too, so to hear them start spouting bullshit about how actually climate change isn't a thing and how great coal is has been kinda depressing.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nocheez posted:

They basically are responsible for the rise of fascism in the US (and probably world, but I can only speak for here). I'm not giving them any money or data if I can help it.

I mean, they're not and all, its rise is for a lot of reasons built into the society and systems that have been there and building up for decades and decades.

Which is not to say they're good, no corporation is and they do shady poo poo, but that was exactly the point. "if this bothers you, look elsewhere" it clearly bothers you, and theres no problem with that, but theres a lot of people who don't care and just want to have fun with VR.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The few times I enter in FB I see people posting photos of vacations / pets / kids, or bad jokes, or birthday congratulations. Sometimes tatoos photos (a husband's friend is tatoo maker). There are a few people who post news/political commentary, but they a clear minority and are more on common sense stuff or it's kind of general 'all politicians are poo poo' (kinda also part of the commons sense stuff!), and they very few that maybe post something more subjective, are on the Left side (and remember, I'm European so it's pretty leftist...)

It's why it's hard for me to empathize with the general Internet sentiment of 'FB is teh devil!"

Hell, an anecdote: many years ago (9 at least?) when I first started reading about Facebook and its fake news, I didn't even understood what they were talking about. " What news? FB is just a forum for friends and family" I said to myself. Believe it or not, I actually thought that maybe FB had a news section in the US version that still hadn't reached my country, and they were talking of that. I needed a pair of years to understand they were referring to links shared by people. Which made me think they should search better friends, then.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
^ your perspective is kind of an example of what's so insidious about facebook

you don't see this stuff because of the way your feed has been slowly tweaked over the years

someone can post the feed from their boomer (white American) uncle and it will look entirely different

that's the problem

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

This is getting beyond VR really but...

The thing is facebook, google, apple, microsoft, shell, citi bank and on and on and on aren't good! They don't give a poo poo if you live or die! Its a mistake to single out facebook, or anyone as the scapegoat for the problems existing though. It ignores the material reality of the world to say "oh that guy, its that guys fault we're good otherwise". I've seen The Social Dilemma too, and they make the same mistake there when it comes to politics, absolutely ignoring conditions that actually lead to a rise in fascism or division for an easy narrative and easy solution. The problem is its not easy, and the rot is deep within our society and its foundations. If social media disappeared tomorrow, all the problems would remain, all the causes would remain. People aren't burning down police stations because of facebook, chuds don't hate black people for it because of facebook. Healthcare in the US isn't out of control, and getting worse year on year because of facebook. NAFTA didn't gut the US rust belt because of facebook. Neoliberalism didn't take over because of facebook. Energy companies aren't killing the biosphere, their power lines aren't starting fires, because of facebook.

This doesnt mean you shouldn't hate facebook or they're blameless for the things they have done, you should! If you actually like a corporation theres something wrong with you! But if you focus all your blame on one company thats been around for a little over a decade, you're letting everyone else off the hook.

Relating it back to VR, we make compromises every day. I still have to fill my car up with petrol, I still end up using products involving dow chemical, and even if not, we use products every day that have someone in their supply chain thats ruining the world. Theres lots of really really lovely companies we end up supporting for one reason or another.

Oculus is just another for a lot of people that just want to have fun with VR in this miserable world, where there is no other real competition in the price range (or period in the case of stand alone VR), and thats only increasing by a huge margin with the quest 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Yup, my dad has gone full idiot conservative and Facebook has him in an insane echo chamber and there's really nothing I can do about it.