Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
krakoa is strange and shady, but it's not like the old status quo of the x-men trying to police every other mutant while getting attacked by insane bigots every 30 seconds was working so well. go big or go home, except home has unfortunately been set on fire by a racist cyborg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Selene and the loving Shadow King are on Krakoa.
Could just be Farouk. If I were writing I'd certainly go that route. That's almost a new character to work with since he has never been seen separate from Shadow King before (and there's no definitive answer on whether or not they're one and the same).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Adder Moray posted:

Could just be Farouk. If I were writing I'd certainly go that route. That's almost a new character to work with since he has never been seen separate from Shadow King before (and there's no definitive answer on whether or not they're one and the same).

You're probably correct, but still, loving Selene.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

nemesis_hub posted:

I actually like that Hickman and the line as a whole are taking their time, planting plot seeds at a leisurely pace. I love all of it (except Fallen Angels) and I trust the writers at this point to blow up everything up at the coolest possible moment, when the build up is at the max.

Do we have a “Cyclops was Right” equivalent for pro-Krakoa partisans?

I am however far behind Marvel Unlimited is now unfortunately but Boom Boom doesn't seem to be enjoying all of this.

Speaking of, I enjoy just about everything but I am hopeful a year from now we have villains other than people from Russia or Fictional Countries in power armor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rick posted:

I am however far behind Marvel Unlimited is now unfortunately but Boom Boom doesn't seem to be enjoying all of this.

Speaking of, I enjoy just about everything but I am hopeful a year from now we have villains other than people from Russia or Fictional Countries in power armor.

There's Hordeculture, and whatever the weird offshoot of The World that Laura Wolverine is trapped in along with Darwin and Synch.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Adder Moray posted:

Has he shown up anywhere besides the last page of Empyre X-Men #3? He didn't show up at all in issue 4, and I can't recall him appearing in any other books. I kind of want to chalk it up to the artist just drawing him in because they were told to draw a bunch of psychic mutants, but I'm not 100% sure. He's not amongst the group of villains that is welcomed along with Apocalypse in HoX/PoX at least.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Has he shown up anywhere besides the last page of Empyre X-Men #3? He didn't show up at all in issue 4, and I can't recall him appearing in any other books. I kind of want to chalk it up to the artist just drawing him in because they were told to draw a bunch of psychic mutants, but I'm not 100% sure. He's not amongst the group of villains that is welcomed along with Apocalypse in HoX/PoX at least.

I'm kinda sure Hickman knows exactly who was drawn in the page that went with "send all of the psychics" in the miniseries he co-wrote.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Wanderer posted:

I don't think it's ever going to just fail on someone, but there's definitely going to be someone who wasn't actually dead but got "resurrected" anyway. That already kinda happened in the Empyre tie-in.

It might be possible to run this with Siryn. She shows up mortal at the end of H/PoX and as I know nothing was ever done with her becoming The Morrigan. Not that 95% of anything else from X Factor stuck.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

I'm kinda sure Hickman knows exactly who was drawn in the page that went with "send all of the psychics" in the miniseries he co-wrote.
The mini-series was like a Writer's Jam thing so the single panel with Shadow King/Amahl Farouk was in X-Men: Empyre #2, written by Gerry Duggan, Ben Percy, and Leah Williams.

On the last page of that, a Black Tom Mouth Gate opens and out walks Quentin Quire, Mastermind, Lady Mastermind, Selene, Mister Sinister, Exodus, three of the Cuckoos, and Farouk/Shadow King. It should be said that Farouk/Shadow King has spider legs, which suggests Shadow King over Farouk I think though I am not super familiar with where the line is drawn.

In X-Men: Empyre #3 (written by Vita Ayala, Zeb Wells, and Ed Brisson), we pick up with the psychic mutants coming out of a regular not-Black-Tom's-mouth Krakoan gate, and the people emerging from/near the gate are Quentin Quire, Selene, Mister Sinister, Exodus, possibly two Cuckoos, Dani Moonstar, and Manon but not Maxime.
Only Selene, Exodus, Sinister, Quire, and the Cuckoos really do anything or have any lines, and that's mostly them getting wood armor and "going Paul Bunyan" on the Coati's "asses".

In the final issue (written by Hickman) the psychics get four panels and have three lines combined (two of them being "I dunno... it's pretty big" and "Ewww."). The psychic line-up is Quire, Exodus, four Cuckoos, Sinister, Selene, Mastermind, and Lady Mastermind.

So depending on the level of control exerted maybe this was all an intricate plan, or someone just drawing "all the psychics" and not thinking about it very hard. There are at least two minor art/continuity errors (the number of Cuckoos changing, and the appearance of the gate they emerge from) across the last three issues.

Empyre: X-Men was also the only post-Krakoa appearance of Jason Wyngarde, though he appears in a couple panels spread across two issues without saying or doing anything. Really none of the psychics do much of anything, and only Quire and the Cuckoos get more than one or two lines.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
A short flip-through of Byrne-Austin Uncanny work in the Essential format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swHl4E6JYTE

I really like the Piskor/Rugg youtube channel, but this one is particularly interesting because I love those Essential collections. People bitch about the printing quality on the newsprint but without the color- which newsprint trashed for decades- the pencils/inks are pure. You can still snag a bunch of these on Ebay for $10 shipped- until Volume 9. That's when Lee's stuff starts showing up and those volumes go for $50ish. Which pisses me off because that's when I stopped buying them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

One time I’ll read the comments is when there’s an article about Kitty Pryde being firmly established as bi. So many people stepping right in it.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-new-mutants-vita-ayala-rod-reis/

quote:

New York, NY— September 14, 2020 — Vita Ayala makes their NEW MUTANTS debut this December, launching the book into a thrilling new era as the series’ new writer! Ayala will be joined by artist Rod Reis, a rising superstar who’s already brought his unique and kinetic art style to earlier issues of the hit series.

On the edge of mutant society, the younger generation of X-Men cut loose in the Wild Hunt—going big, blowing things up, and combining powers to see who gets crowned king of the mountain! In the aftermath of X of Swords, a mysterious threat has taken root on Krakoa. This ancient enemy is powerful, hungry, and all too familiar to the New Mutants, and it’ll take X-Men from all generations to stop it. Join Magik, Dani Moonstar, Karma, Warpath, Wolfsbane, Warlock, Scout, and more of your favorites in an unpredictable series that will explore uncharted territory of the new mutant status quo that kicked off in Jonathan Hickman’s groundbreaking House of X!

:hellyeah:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
About god drat time.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
They're already talking about the aftermath of X of Swords? Good grief, let things breathe.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gologle posted:

They're already talking about the aftermath of X of Swords? Good grief, let things breathe.

do you know how solicits work

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gologle posted:

It's part of their new followup event, X had Swords.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Ayala, Reis, and that line up sounds loving amazing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GABBY

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Why did they get rid of the Honey badger name for her? I liked it. Scout feels boring after that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Why did they get rid of the Honey badger name for her? I liked it. Scout feels boring after that

The other details escape me but she did it as A Thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw. Darn.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rob Liefeld writing Scout. Yes, this is what we wanted, but I guess we did not deserve it. Oh, 2020, what other evils will you bring us?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

The other details escape me but she did it as A Thing.

It's probably because they wanted a 'serious' name. It'd help if it was something less generic and felt less forced.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They walked back Laura going back to X-23 pretty forcefully, I'm hoping they do the same with Gabby. I know she's been on panel since the relaunch, but has she been directly referred to by anyone?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i don't really think Laura and Gabby need codenames at this point, they've outgrown them like Jean Grey outgrew Marvel Girl

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah, I pretty much never refer to them by anything other than Laura and Gabby Kinney. I don't know if Laura's situation was a copyright thing or a "our idiot readers will be CONFUSED by there being two Wolverines" or what. Just, in-universe, calling her by what the people that tortured and brainwashed her called her is... hosed up?
I'm more interested to hear the real-world reason why they changed Gabby's codename. From something hard to copyright to something harder to copyright? So that can't be the reason. Maybe the author (was this Tamaki?) just really hated the name Honey Badger and wanted to change it, not expecting it'd be basically the last thing she did with Gabby.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Skwirl posted:

They walked back Laura going back to X-23 pretty forcefully, I'm hoping they do the same with Gabby. I know she's been on panel since the relaunch, but has she been directly referred to by anyone?

Making Gabby go by Honey Badger again wouldn't be like like the Wolverine/X-23 situation, it would be like trying to use Talon as Laura's name

I think HB was inorganic and didn't work beyond the initial gag. Every time someone called her "Honey Badger" instead of just Gabby it took me out of any scene it happened in, especially when it was her sister doing it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Honey Badger was funny for the time, but as it we get further from the meme it becomes more dated. Scout's a fine name.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I never liked the name Honey Badger much because it just makes me think of Tyrann Matheiu

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

I can't imagine they're going to back down on using a name they just used in a solicitation

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Seemlar posted:

Making Gabby go by Honey Badger again wouldn't be like like the Wolverine/X-23 situation, it would be like trying to use Talon as Laura's name

I think HB was inorganic and didn't work beyond the initial gag. Every time someone called her "Honey Badger" instead of just Gabby it took me out of any scene it happened in, especially when it was her sister doing it.

I bet Kyle & Yost were kicking themelves for not committing to Talon earlier, because DC pipped them to the trademark.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Things are ramping up to X of Swords this week, and some threads from earlier in the run are being picked up again.

Read Excalibur before X-Men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Things are ramping up to X of Swords this week, and some threads from earlier in the run are being picked up again.

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't been paying attention to the reading order in the back for a while since it stopped mattering, but I will again. I guess when the event starts proper it'll be easier since it will be on the cover.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Blockhouse posted:

I can't imagine they're going to back down on using a name they just used in a solicitation

characters have definitely changed names between solicitation and publication before. Not saying it's enormously common or anything but it does happen

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I agree with this, but at the same time, if you don't it's not a big deal. Excalibur expands on a minor point in X-Men.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

characters have definitely changed names between solicitation and publication before. Not saying it's enormously common or anything but it does happen
Happened this year in Hellions even.

edit: My favorite thing about House of X/X-Men is how weird and unique some of the teams have gotten. Synch/Laura/Darwin is the highlight team, but this new character/Unus the Untouchable/Banshee is one of the weirder X-squads to ever go on a mission.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 16, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like how rictor actually calls apocalypse ::A:: sincerely, and also how he's pretty much the only person who does.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I probably shouldn't take Hellions too seriously because a lot of its premise breaks down under scrutiny, but this thing about not resurrecting Maddie is kinda hmm weird.

If she's a "clone" of Jean, then the Cuckoos are definitely clones of Emma. Aren't Laura and Gabby also clones........sort of?

The story certainly conveys the tragedy of no one really caring about Madelyne that much and especially the Council just kinda not wanting to deal with the issue of rezzing her, but the topic at hand feels like it should've been covered in way more depth than it was.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think all the other examples aren't straight up clones and have had some differences. Laura herself isn't an exact 1-1 copy of Logan, obviously. And Gabby isn't an exact copy of Laura.

Whereas Sinister made Maddie pretty much a straight up clone of Jean.

It does suck though, and Alex and I think Scott too, both wanted to bring Maddie back. And even if Scott didn't, he still tried. He owed her at least that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I think the fact that Mister Sinister is on the council and personally created her and thus gets to weigh in about it, combined with the fact that, y'know, she was also a HUMAN clone of Jean and the cause of one of their biggest catastrophes, and yeah- she's the exact case of someone who got absolutely hosed over by the new status quo. She's the exact figure who they have enough reasons to all separately go "Okay, NOT THAT ONE".