Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Then again the US also had a go at Adele for dressing up for some kind of virtual Caribbean carnival event and accused her of cultural appropriation, which led to a bunch of Jamaican and Black British people responding that Carnival is for everyone as long as they're participating in the spirit, and it's not loving blackface, so there's obviously some very different debates going on there.

Did this happen beyond the half-dozen nobodies on twitter that the press searched up and ran stories about? Same as the calls to cancel Rick and Morty, to cancel Gavin and Stacy, and pretty much every PC outrage story ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1305829508960989186?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Did this happen beyond the half-dozen nobodies on twitter that the press searched up and ran stories about? Same as the calls to cancel Rick and Morty, to cancel Gavin and Stacy, and pretty much every PC outrage story ever.
It was a huge debate between UK Black Twitter and US Black Twitter, Emma Dabiri and David Lammy ended up joining in.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Communist Thoughts posted:

thats basically the job. the whole of journalism is just this content production industry featuring rich liars asking questions to other rich liars and printing their responses.
thats really all it is and any idea of it being socially useful or some kind of mechanism to hold the powerful to account is just childish kayfabe

Now, do the Journailists realize this, or do they think they are doing important work.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 15, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some of them probably do, a lot of them probably are so immersed in that environment and the infinite constellation of their own galactic brains that they actually believe their own hype.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Any time I read an article on the guardian about the backbenchers not being happy and maybe the 1922 committee will meet I believe they must be huffing their own farts really. After how wrong they were on Brexit and the 2017 election they have invented this idea of bubbles we all live in, because they themselves aren't really as knowledgeable as they reckon as to "what's happening on the streets of the UK" - especially with silly special reports where they visit the North like its loving safari.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The bubble idea is correct the error is that they think they aren't in one.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

The US also has a history of edgelord assholes using words like niggardly, which is etymologically unrelated to the slur, on purpose to get a reaction.

That doesn't sound anything like what was happening here, but it might explain why people were quicker to take offense. It could have been a valid cultural exchange moment rather than a big incident though, especially in an academic setting.

I once used the word "churlish" in conversation with an (older) American guy, and he was interested because, according to him, you don't hear that so much in the US, because it was often found in a stock phrase of calling somebody a "niggard and a churl", which yeah, in English probably did need retiring due to phonology.

But you can't really apply that to other languages. In fact I'm sure I remember a tweet from an East Asian person who'd been told by a college professor (it's always a college professor) to change her name because it resembled a rude word in English.

Grey Hunter posted:

Now, do the Journailists realize this, or do they think they are doing important work.

I'm sure the Guardian lot are very earnest and think they're doing super serious journalism.

People at the Sun and Mail must be laughing at their readers though, surely? Calling them gullible idiots as they write another outrage-boiler?

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 15, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some of them might but is it so outlandish to imagine that the people who write for the sun are not dissimilar from the people who read the sun? Desperately looking to be angry about something?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I think the journos believe that it is in fact us who are being childish for thinking that it might be possible to hold power to account without basically doing whatever it wants. You've got to play the game, you see.

They're also kind of right, in a way, that to get access to good (powerful) sources you kind of need to play ball with them, but fail to consider that if you're doing that you aren't actually holding them to account

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I remember a quote from a Sun journalist saying something along the lines of: " We could totally write the Guardian if we chose to; there's no way that bunch could write the Sun though."

I always feel that the Guardian spends most of the time high on it's own farts, while much of the rest of the press is a lot more openly cynical.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ThomasPaine posted:

Are the numbers not near enough there for a border poll atm? I would have thought this would be the perfect time for SF to roll the dice. Reunification would certainly solve a lot of problems!

So this is one of those things where all the political parties say they are in favour of a united Ireland....Just that they don't want to do anything to advance it.

And I can sort of see why. The best argument is a boarder poll. Beyond all the difficulties in how it would run, what result would be legitimate?

As has been pointed out in this debate, even if you run the Boarder Poll in the Republic and get 99% of people voting for a United Ireland.
And you run it in NI and get 51% of people voting for a United Ireland? Do you go for reunification then?

There is still 49% of people in NI who are left out or voted against it and you can't just override their views on that.

The idea is that they want to wait until there is overwhelming support from both sides of the boarder to bring it about. And maybe that's something that will take generations to ever come about, but it's probably a better idea then going a Brexit route of "52% said yes. Now we all have to suffer because of that."

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It was a huge debate between UK Black Twitter and US Black Twitter, Emma Dabiri and David Lammy ended up joining in.

Okay thats actually pretty sizable. Maybe it wasnt quite as artificial as I thought

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, that BBC news article on the college professor had a link to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0aD78sw8U and it's just straight up "man talking in another language and explaining the concept of filler words being language-specific".

I hate this as well, for exactly the reasons mentioned before - this is what the right paint left-wing politics as, and it seriously just adds fuel to the fire when there's dumb poo poo like this that they can use to justify their rants about "them" cutting down on freedom of speech and poo poo.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Borrovan posted:

I think the journos believe that it is in fact us who are being childish for thinking that it might be possible to hold power to account without basically doing whatever it wants. You've got to play the game, you see.

They're also kind of right, in a way, that to get access to good (powerful) sources you kind of need to play ball with them, but fail to consider that if you're doing that you aren't actually holding them to account

i think thats the mindset thats selected for yeah

the guardian higher ups are basically being told what to report on by the spooks at this point so they are either fully aware and cynical or - more likely - as you said they think its grown up to do it.
or theyre naive enough to think domestic spies wouldn't lie to them or have alterior motives

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

So this is one of those things where all the political parties say they are in favour of a united Ireland....Just that they don't want to do anything to advance it.

And I can sort of see why. The best argument is a boarder poll. Beyond all the difficulties in how it would run, what result would be legitimate?

As has been pointed out in this debate, even if you run the Boarder Poll in the Republic and get 99% of people voting for a United Ireland.
And you run it in NI and get 51% of people voting for a United Ireland? Do you go for reunification then?

There is still 49% of people in NI who are left out or voted against it and you can't just override their views on that.

The idea is that they want to wait until there is overwhelming support from both sides of the boarder to bring it about. And maybe that's something that will take generations to ever come about, but it's probably a better idea then going a Brexit route of "52% said yes. Now we all have to suffer because of that."

50%+1 is the only real way to conduct it tbh, any attempts at supermajority jiggery pokery just isn't going to work tbh and I don't think anyone up North really sees any alternative (there where some voices who mumbled about a supermajority but most people realise that's a polite way of saying "never").

You can argue that 51% for unification isn't enough to alter the constitutional arrangements as much as you can argue 51% for the union is an insufficient argument for the status quo to continue.

Sometimes though I feel like the loudest voices for "51% isn't enough" comes from voices South of the border who would prefer reunification only when the North isn't a basket case of acrimonious political shouting which also is pretty much a "never"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can't help but think that if there is reunification, especially by a narrow margin, then Stormont will continue to exist in some form or other, even if it's just as a bully pulpit for Arlene Foster that ultimately answers to the Dáil, as an outcome of negotiations. I know that's not what SF or most others want or mean by reunification, but assemblies have an amount of inertia, much as e.g. Tories wish that they could abolish Wales and direct rule NI forever.

No idea how that would work out though.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I can't help but think that if there is reunification, especially by a narrow margin, then Stormont will continue to exist in some form or other, even if it's just as a bully pulpit for Arlene Foster that ultimately answers to the Dáil, as an outcome of negotiations. I know that's not what SF or most others want or mean by reunification, but assemblies have an amount of inertia, much as e.g. Tories wish that they could abolish Wales and direct rule NI forever.

SF has actually moved on the issue and accepted that the assembly will probably have to continue to exist for some period of time (temporarily in their view) while the SDLP and other moderate nationalists accept the assembly continuing to post unification as the GFA doesn't simply cease once the state responsibilities of the UK are transferred to Ireland (in their view anyway).

Also squares the circle of how you deal with Unionist engagement if they refuse to take their seats in the Dail - I think any predictions unionism will simply vanish overnight may be optimistic and implies the person making the predictions has probably never been to Ballymena

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder how long it took for people to stop pining for the danelaw.

Other than that one guy who still hates the kentish for their treachary in 1066 who probably still has very strong Views about it.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Bobstar posted:

But you can't really apply that to other languages. In fact I'm sure I remember a tweet from an East Asian person who'd been told by a college professor (it's always a college professor) to change her name because it resembled a rude word in English.

lol what the gently caress. i wish i had a cool far eastern name like that so i could call people who are "offended" by it to get in the loving bin

like, aren't all of: wang, fuk, dong for example valid transliterations of completely normal chinese names

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

jaete posted:

lol what the gently caress. i wish i had a cool far eastern name like that so i could call people who are "offended" by it to get in the loving bin

like, aren't all of: wang, fuk, dong for example valid transliterations of completely normal chinese names

Found it (it's amazing what you can Google with half-remembered concepts if you use the right words)

"Matthew Hubbard, a mathematics instructor at Laney College in Oakland, told the student, Phuc Bui Diem Nguyen, that her name "in English sounds like F-ck boy" and that she needs to "understand" that her name is "an offensive sound in my language," according to the screenshots."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/professor-who-told-student-anglicize-her-name-placed-leave-n1231595

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

kustomkarkommando posted:

50%+1 is the only real way to conduct it tbh, any attempts at supermajority jiggery pokery just isn't going to work tbh and I don't think anyone up North really sees any alternative (there where some voices who mumbled about a supermajority but most people realise that's a polite way of saying "never").

You can argue that 51% for unification isn't enough to alter the constitutional arrangements as much as you can argue 51% for the union is an insufficient argument for the status quo to continue.

Sometimes though I feel like the loudest voices for "51% isn't enough" comes from voices South of the border who would prefer reunification only when the North isn't a basket case of acrimonious political shouting which also is pretty much a "never"

There are times when having a majority is enough for contentious social issues.
The Divorce referendum in Ireland was famously won by a handful of votes in 1996, and since then people now overwhelmingly support divorce.

But if you look at the Marriage Equality or Abortion Referendum, the fact that they were carried by overwhelming majorities gives them an accurate mandate of the people's will.

I feel a super contentious issue like re-unification is too difficult to say "the numbers say slightly more people are in favour of it then against. We are doing it."
Like Brexit itself is a perfect example, the Scottish and NI people aren't being won over because slightly more people in another country decided to do a thing.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jedit posted:

TIL that not everyone has realised Ankh-Morpork is explicitly based on the City of London.

I mean, somewhat. It's based on 18th-19th century World Cities which includes elements of London.

quote:

In The Art of Discworld Pratchett explains that the city is similar to Tallinn and central Prague, but adds that it has elements of 18th-century London, 19th-century Seattle and modern New York City.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Well, the Danelaw lasted less than 100 years (865 to 954),. 50 years after that there were still state-sponsored killings of people with blond hair (i.e. St Brice’s Day massacre). So that’s not a particularly optimistic comparison.

Yes I have been playing Crusader Kings III; why do you ask?

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

This is the thing a lot of people overlook completely when talking about reunification. The Unionists aren't going to just disappear, and there needs to be a discussion about how a United Ireland would look. The Unionists have absolutely no incentive to take part though as doing so acknowledges reunification as a realistic possibility. I don't see how reunification is possible without Unionist engagement, and I don't see any possibility of Unionist engagement happening in the foreseeable future. No DUP leader is going to sit down with a Taoiseach to discuss how to reunite the country, and any Unionist leader who does is very likely to get shot.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Some of them might but is it so outlandish to imagine that the people who write for the sun are not dissimilar from the people who read the sun? Desperately looking to be angry about something?

Sun journalists are some of the most cynical and venal people I've ever met. They're all extremely intelligent though, the 'simple' writing style is an affectation. Honestly, most of them probably consider themselves centrist libs, they just don't give much of a poo poo about anyone other than themselves and their careers. The usual response when you ask them how they can stomach writing for the Sun is that someone else would be doing it if they weren't - and that's usually delivered with the snooty air of looking down on people who actually care about stuff.

Maybe some of the columnists are true believers, but the journos know exactly what they're doing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SF has actually moved on the issue and accepted that the assembly will probably have to continue to exist for some period of time (temporarily in their view) while the SDLP and other moderate nationalists accept the assembly continuing to post unification as the GFA doesn't simply cease once the state responsibilities of the UK are transferred to Ireland (in their view anyway).
Ah, that's a good thing. Like I get their objections that 'Northern Ireland' is an illegitimate construct of imperialist British partition, but it's also a thing that exists and Dublin immediately dissolving the assembly would be about as wise as Westminster dissolving the Welsh one. Very different history and dynamic, but it'd feel the same to some of the people it was perceived as being taken from.

Also squares the circle of how you deal with Unionist engagement if they refuse to take their seats in the Dail - I think any predictions unionism will simply vanish overnight may be optimistic and implies the person making the predictions has probably never been to Ballymena
Often a cause for optimism :v: but yes that's also a good reason to keep it around for at good while, at least until there's nobody left that believes that the Dáil is secretly run from St. Peter's Basilica.

OwlFancier posted:

Other than that one guy who still hates the kentish for their treachary in 1066 who probably still has very strong Views about it.
The East Midlands are rightful Corieltauvi chalk and clay.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
In CK3 I am currently playing the King of Sicily, whose ancestor adopted a heresy called 'Adamitism' from a naked man he met on the road, the basic idea being returning to the innocence of the garden of eden by shedding your clothes and living as one with nature uncorrupted by the burdens of civilisation. Southern Italy is a non-stop party and the Pope is real mad with my gang of feud-prims but I am not stopping until all of Europe lets it all hang out.

e: I just looked this up and there is actual historical precedent for these kind of sects lmfao

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Wow. So today was the day my housemate was due to move out from here to a rather nice penthouse flat, prior to our move (he’s a tube driver so makes crazy good money).

He picked up the keys, went to the flat and found it utterly trashed, with a contractor inside sucking his teeth and bemoaning how much work he had to do. He went and objected to the landlord, who tried to spin a line at him that they were being ‘charitable’ by fixing the damage before he moved in.

Contract has been voided and looks like he’s staying with us until completion. Because if the letting agent is this much of a bastard before he even moved in, that just doesn’t bode well for the future. Plus his rent here is slightly over half what he’d be paying there, including all bills. Never having had to deal with letting agents myself, I had not realised what utter bastards they can be..

Yes, I know this means I’m technically still a landlord, but the guy moved over here from Belgium to live with me 13 years ago, and during that time there’s been multiple years when he was unable to pay any rent at all due to unemployment and austerity, but I didn’t screw him over. He’s about as close to family as it can get without blood, even if his personal habits are a bit grim. And I’m genuinely happy to have him around a bit longer. Lived with him longer than anyone except my parents (even my younger brother).

Also my wife gave me a Meat Bouquet for my birthday, which is awesome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To nick a pratchett quote yes, the catholic church has historically been full of sects maniacs.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Challenge to Camrath: meat flavour fudge that's not gross

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That already exists it's called potted beef.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Bobstar posted:

Found it (it's amazing what you can Google with half-remembered concepts if you use the right words)

"Matthew Hubbard, a mathematics instructor at Laney College in Oakland, told the student, Phuc Bui Diem Nguyen, that her name "in English sounds like F-ck boy" and that she needs to "understand" that her name is "an offensive sound in my language," according to the screenshots."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/professor-who-told-student-anglicize-her-name-placed-leave-n1231595
I used to work with someone named Rakshit and I have to confess my internal monologue never stopped finding it funny. Especially when people inadvertently made the k sound like a t.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/doublehelix/status/1305908576188334080?s=20

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Surprise T Rex posted:

Yeah, that BBC news article on the college professor had a link to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0aD78sw8U and it's just straight up "man talking in another language and explaining the concept of filler words being language-specific".

I hate this as well, for exactly the reasons mentioned before - this is what the right paint left-wing politics as, and it seriously just adds fuel to the fire when there's dumb poo poo like this that they can use to justify their rants about "them" cutting down on freedom of speech and poo poo.
Contrapoints did a video about cancel culture, and buried in the middle of the 1:40 of analysis is a great point splitting off cancel culture (which is in most cases warranted) from wrecking, which is usually seen as going too far and more often than not is led by alt righters wrapping their trolling in progressive language.

It usually comes down to essentialism: is the person being cancelled because they did something wrong, or are they being cancelled because they said or did something that has a secondary connection to something that's wrong? If it's the latter, chances are it's a smear attack.

More often than not, the things like this that seem like a dumb or malicious misinterpretation of progressive ideas seem that way because they are, from alt-righters. They then get signal boosted by media types who want to seem progressive by banning words, but again have no understanding of the underlying concepts.

It's like people who say 'darn it all to heck' and other stand-ins for swear words. As much as there is anything 'wrong' with swearing, it's something that shows the person is angry, or frustrated, and taking that out verbally. Swear words often physically release tension through fricatives and plosives.

But if you stop people swearing, you simply stop the expression of that frustration, you don't stop the frustration itself.

And then you have the unbridled stupidity of people who use faux swears because they want to express rage or frustration, but won't use words that are banned or stigmatised because they represent the rage and frustration they're expressing anyway.

So you extend that to the N-bomb. Just stopping people saying the n-word (or words that sound like it) sounds like an easy fix. But in cases like the teacher fired for using a chinese phoneme, it doesn't apply in the case of soundalikes with no underlying hatred.

Nor does it solve systemic and overt violence against black people, by people who are expressing hate and opression while avoiding using the bad word.

All of this being a roundabout way of saying banning certain words is often completely disconnected from the underlying problems the meaning behind those words represents.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

cormac posted:

This is the thing a lot of people overlook completely when talking about reunification. The Unionists aren't going to just disappear, and there needs to be a discussion about how a United Ireland would look. The Unionists have absolutely no incentive to take part though as doing so acknowledges reunification as a realistic possibility. I don't see how reunification is possible without Unionist engagement, and I don't see any possibility of Unionist engagement happening in the foreseeable future. No DUP leader is going to sit down with a Taoiseach to discuss how to reunite the country, and any Unionist leader who does is very likely to get shot.

I do think there is a way to run engagement around the DUP tbh and directly communicate with northern unionist voters through forums of "business leaders" and the like to directly talk with the unionist middle class (who really are probably gonna be your primary targets at first) but even the laundry list of cursory tiny totemic reforms I usually rattle off as an opening gambit remain a tough sell with a big enough chunk of the electorate south of the border e.g. repealing the section of the defence act blocking the wearing of foreign uniforms without ministerial approval (don't worry were not gonna gently caress with your tiny villages remembrance sunday), repealing art 40.2.2 of the constitution (yes okay the queen can make you a bloody Knight without you having to ask permission) and removing the limitations on the franchise for constitutional amendments that exclude resident non-citizens.

Those are some of the most milquetoast token moves possible to northern unionists but I don't think any politician south of the border is gonna push them through unless they can gesture at a unionist party and say "they made me do it"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

repealing the section of the defence act blocking the wearing of foreign uniforms without ministerial approval (don't worry were not gonna gently caress with your tiny villages remembrance sunday)

Does this mean I can't e.g. dress up as a Jaffa off excellent 1990s television programme Stargate SG-1 to go about my business

if so gently caress u i'm a loyalist now LOL :nyd:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends which one specifically because if you want to do that you run afoul of some different restrictions.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

excuse me I believe the technical term is "War Christmas"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Finally Labour have worked out how to beat the Tories https://twitter.com/georginaebailey/status/1305828088668880896