Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BiggerBoat posted:

I really like Simonson's kind of loose, weird blocky style. It seems like it shouldn't work but he really pulls it off and I find his stuff is just so...I dunno...interesting to look at. He'd be fun to ink. I used to have that "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" book way back in the day and me and my friend used to take turns inking the pencil drawings in it. You might be surprised to see how different they came out and, doing that exercise, I really learned a lot back then about how much an inker really contributes.

I think it was the main Marvel thread I posted in last week where I said I was going through Ultimate Spider-Man and the art just goes to another gear around issue 85 or so. Same Mark Bagley pencilling, new inker and colorist.

Halloween Jack posted:

The 90s! Hologram covers! Skimpy outfits! Badass helmets! Big guns! Ammo pouches! Leather jackets! Fishing vests! To the EXXXTREME!

The Fantastic Four Plus a Couple More!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
As a kid, I wound up with a banged up copy of ASM #317 a couple of years after it came out and was very confused by how the Thing looked. Trusting the editor's note to point me at an explanation for his appearance, I eventually tracked down FF #226 and... learned nothing of value (because the actual issue was FF #326).

As a result, it took me years to realize that this wasn't just Todd McFarlane being weird about how he drew the Thing.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That first panel reads so much like the Beatles scene in Walk Hard.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

The 90s! Hologram covers! Skimpy outfits! Badass helmets! Big guns! Ammo pouches! Leather jackets! Fishing vests! To the EXXXTREME!

Bahahahahaha all standing characters have their feet obstructed. This is like some artist take art instructions over the phone from Liefeld.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Thing in a helmet giving big Shockmaster energy.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Hulk Smash! posted:

You'd think this look would have happened in the 90's but it was the late 80's

NGL, that was one of my favorite eras of the FF and I loved that look for the Thing. I was blown away as a little kid when he and Ms Marvel got transformed and thought the whole team with those two, Crystal, and Human Torch was awesome. Engelhart has his flaws as a writer but he really dramatically changed that book and made it exciting. They had a hell of a run from Byrne-Englehart-Simonson, and even into DeFalco.

It did crack me up that while Ben called it his “dinosaur” look, everyone else called it the “pineapple phase”.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lobok posted:

Spider-Man saw success with a black costume. They could do obsidian Thing. Oh man, maybe he could go by Grimm Obsidian and be the most 90s redesign ever. He can be made of black rock and dress like The Cure. "The time for pugilation is at hand!"

trying to imagine drawing page after page of a character made out of fist-sized chunks of shiny obsidian, my arm muscles are doing like Slaine's warp spasm

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lobok posted:

Spider-Man saw success with a black costume. They could do obsidian Thing. Oh man, maybe he could go by Grimm Obsidian and be the most 90s redesign ever. He can be made of black rock and dress like The Cure. "The time for pugilation is at hand!"

Obsidithing is a much better name :colbert:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
What was the reason for Thing wearing a helmet in that era? I thought he had a scar ala Doom, but that's almost as stupid and funny as him just trying to hide his identity with it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, it was to protect his face after Wolverine slashed him. If I remember right, the FF were fugitives for a while after the Torch caused a lot of collateral damage.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 16, 2020

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dan Didio posted:

What was the reason for Thing wearing a helmet in that era? I thought he had a scar ala Doom, but that's almost as stupid and funny as him just trying to hide his identity with it.

Wolverine clawed his face up real good. Like, brain sticking out the side of his head good.

It was later healed by someone or something called Hyperstorm.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That’s right, it was Wolverine! Forgot that crucial detail.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yup, and the way I remember it, Wolvie was actually really shocked at himself and tried to apologize.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah

And the aftermath

FF 374-375

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Who's the woman in green

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Sue's "4" cleavage window is a wonder of design.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

site posted:

Who's the woman in green

Sharon Ventura. Once "She-Thing"

The green woman is Lyja.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Sue's "4" cleavage window is a wonder of design.
There's a panel earlier in issue 374 where Reed calls her out for "being half naked in a ridiculous costume"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat Logan, you mentioned Grimm by name before slashing his face. Pretty sure you meant it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember the scene where she's offering a huge cash settlement to the college that Johnny accidentally burned down. In that costume.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

theironjef posted:

It was later healed by someone or something called Hyperstorm.

Wasn’t Hyperstorm Franklin Richards from the future, or aged up by cosmic rays or something like that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Splint Chesthair posted:

Wasn’t Hyperstorm Franklin Richards from the future, or aged up by cosmic rays or something like that?

His son.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

These covers blew me away for Marvel Comics 1602 series

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

These covers blew me away for Marvel Comics 1602 series

Series is a solid read, too

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Series is a solid read, too

Yeah, I am really loving it. Their interpretations of characters are great

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

I really like Simonson's kind of loose, weird blocky style. It seems like it shouldn't work but he really pulls it off and I find his stuff is just so...I dunno...interesting to look at. He'd be fun to ink. I used to have that "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" book way back in the day and me and my friend used to take turns inking the pencil drawings in it. You might be surprised to see how different they came out and, doing that exercise, I really learned a lot back then about how much an inker really contributes.

Yeah, inking is very transformative when done by a skilled hand. I like seeing detailed versions of pencils/inks to see the level of looseness/tightness that the artist provides for the pencils, and how the inker interprets them. Jim Lee and Scott Williams shared this one on Twitter which is fun to see.

https://twitter.com/ScottW_inks/status/1300085865444601857

He's not a super-big name in comics but I'm friends with Mark Nelson, who did the artwork for the first Dark Horse "Aliens" series, and he shares his pencils and inks all the time on Facebook. Look up his work if you're a fan of critters, dinosaurs, and mystical-looking mages. He inks his own work, so his pencils range from pretty loose to super tight; he still adds in a tremendous amount of texture in the inking process.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zoben posted:

Yeah, inking is very transformative when done by a skilled hand. I like seeing detailed versions of pencils/inks to see the level of looseness/tightness that the artist provides for the pencils, and how the inker interprets them. Jim Lee and Scott Williams shared this one on Twitter which is fun to see.

https://twitter.com/ScottW_inks/status/1300085865444601857

Beyond the shading choices you can see how much the inks make and define Bane's neck.

I follow Francis Manapul on Instagram and he's a triple threat because he'll do pencils, inks, and colours sometimes and he posts a lot of process videos so you can see a piece go from basic breakdowns all the way to finished product.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Zoben posted:

He's not a super-big name in comics but I'm friends with Mark Nelson, who did the artwork for the first Dark Horse "Aliens" series

Oh poo poo

I read episodes 1, 2, and 6 of that when I was a kid and ended up tracking down the TPB like 20 years later because the art stuck with me (and I wanted know what happened!)

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

david_a posted:

Oh poo poo

I read episodes 1, 2, and 6 of that when I was a kid and ended up tracking down the TPB like 20 years later because the art stuck with me (and I wanted know what happened!)
I also read it as a kid and loved it, I wish the movies had followed that story path. He used a lot of craftint doubletone in his art back then which looked quite nice integrated into the inks, the curious thing is that I haven't seen him use it much, if at all, since then.

It was pretty rad when he lived here in Madison for a while -- I was able to go to his house/studio to interview him as part of my final portfolio class in college. He had a huge room full of comic books and pulled out his Fantastic Fours. He had FF #2 in a bag and, I poo poo ya not, took it out and gave it to me and said "take a look, they're meant to be read." It's pretty cool that this guy I idolized as a kid will comment on my art posts on Facebook and compliment my ink work.

Lobok posted:

Beyond the shading choices you can see how much the inks make and define Bane's neck.

I follow Francis Manapul on Instagram and he's a triple threat because he'll do pencils, inks, and colours sometimes and he posts a lot of process videos so you can see a piece go from basic breakdowns all the way to finished product.

Cool, thanks for the heads up, I'm always looking to check out artists I'm unaware of. I'm old and have definitely not kept up on any current artists since I'll just pick up a finished TPB here and there, but I still follow guys like Jock, Sienkiewicz (of course), and Kenneth Rocafort.

For good comic art content, I'm on a big Toppi kick right now (old school, I know) and his compositions and shading were so badass

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Reminds me of art class when I was younger and our teacher had us do a big page of abstract shapes and we had to fill them with as many different types of patterns and hatching as we could, in B&W only. That rhino has marvelous textures.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Some really good poo poo on this page

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
This might be something controversial given his completely bizarre and unacceptable views on gender, but I recently read Dave Sim's "glamourpuss." It would be quite an understatement to say that it's rather esoteric and bizarre in the "fashion magazine satire" parts, but within that veneer lies a very interesting and exhaustive analysis of the evolution of the artistic styles used in comic art. He focuses on the artists Milt Caniff, Alex Raymond, and Stan Drake, and while the narrative follows a biographic description of their lives and the styles, the art consists of portraits and recreations of their panels with Sim attempting to use the same tools as them (either brush or pen). As an artist myself I found it rather interesting, and with all of his personality faults, Sim is still a masterful pen artist. Goddamn, he's one whom I wish hadn't fallen off the deep end as I love "Cerebus."

Anywho, here are a few choice panels from "glamourpuss." The fashion parts still include some rad art, which are almost entirely recreations of photos and advertisements from Vogue or Cosmo or some poo poo. But I skipped almost all of that, it lost me after reading a few pages.

(I hope these images aren't too large, I forget what the rules are for width/tables/whatever. They fit on my screen but I'll edit if they're out of the bounds)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Halloween Jack posted:

This reminded me of how much I enjoyed a particular issue of Fantastic Four from my youth, inks and pencils by Simonson:

You don't mess around with continuity on Chronomonitor Mark's watch.

I see this art and i instantly know it’s the terminator vs robocop guy,very clean art and those faces are identical.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

From Immortal Hulk: The Threshing Place

That's a different way to depict the transformation.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Probably closer to what it feels like.

I like the colouring. Is it pastels? Digital fakery?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Going full Akira body horror route.

That's some lovely art, is the whole book like that?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Going full Akira body horror route.

That's some lovely art, is the whole book like that?

Yeah, it's a one-off but the whole issue is in that style. It's by Mike del Mundo, probably best appreciated around here for Weirdworld. He also did a chunk of the 2018 Thor run.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Immortal Hulk is chock full of gnarly as hell transformations.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 30, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that's pretty incredible but how does it go the other way, I honestly can't imagine where they would go with that concept.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

that's pretty incredible but how does it go the other way, I honestly can't imagine where they would go with that concept.

Oh the transformations back are equally gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

really some astounding stuff, proof that there's things you can do with comics that you can't do with any other medium :allears:

at least not practically, I guess you could have billions of 3d artists at Marvel Studios try to adapt what a couple of brilliant 2d artists can do on a page.