Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I especially like this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I read "could" as "covid", lol :smith:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

boobs hurt feelin' cranky

I hate getting all the symptoms and no actual flow tho. Something about the pill I'm on makes it really easy for me to miss a period if I'm stressed, and life has been a huge morass of stress lately. I crave the confirmation that I'm not pregnant. I took a lot of pregnancy tests in the months leading up to my wedding a few years ago.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Nothing worse than achy titties!

I can't have periods anymore obviously, but they put me on Orilissa to control the endometriosis and it gave me the ACHIEST BOOBS IN THE WORLD. I was trying to squeeze by my boyfriend's chair one evening my nipple clipped the (soft leather) chair corner, and this was somehow enough to cause me to screech in pain like a banshee, which caused him to scream in reflex scream in panic, and we just kind of screamed like idiots for 10 straight seconds.

Like if that is what getting hit in the balls is like than holy poo poo do I feel bad for men.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Pro tip: never get nips pierced and an IUD inserted within a month of one another.

turns out my body is not keen on having metal jammed into it! and still my stubbornness prevails to continue doing so!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
How else can you become a cyborg?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
My cycle is so long it regularly goes off the edge of what Clue can display in its history. Day 40 right now. Sure would like that period

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Went on Nexaplon in july, started bleeding 2 weeks later, and that's my life now. :( It's pretty just contraception through abstinence, zero libido and blood everywhere.

It did finally stop for 2 weeks at the beginning of september, at almost exactly the 12-week mark, and it was *so good* for the right feelings to come back, to not have to worry about it and to not be tired all the time.

Now the endless period is back and worse than ever, yay! This sucks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I was the same on nexplanon when I first started, but I passed through the struggle and into blissful unending no-periods. It might be worth gutting it out for another month or two

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm stuck with it anyway.

Corona being what it is, I only got this because they couldn't find a pill to give me that didn't have lactose in it, and I was apparently the first one they'd done in months, on top of that, they don't like taking them out before 6 months is up.

To be fair, it's really great to not have to worry that I might be pregnant at any point, just the side effects are depressing.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

LadyPictureShow posted:

Man, when I first got my period, I went to my mom and said 'I think I got my period'. She checked the murder scene in the toilet bowl, handed me this huge maxi pad and that was it.

A few days later, I had swim practice and she pulls a box of tampons out of the bathroom closet, sets them down on the counter and tells me 'there's instructions in the box, you'll figure it out', and left me to it.

The only kind she used were o.b. Super Plus. Not a great starter tampon for a first time user on their first period.

My family was... very unhelpful when I hit puberty.

It shouldn't be, but for some reason it's comforting to know I'm not alone here, even down to the o.b. Super Plus detail.

Anyone else receive a copy of The Period Book as their mom's version of "the talk" in the early 00's?

Thought it was pronounced vag-na till sex ed came along in 6th grade cause of that goddamn thing.

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019

YeahTubaMike posted:

I read "could" as "covid", lol :smith:

Same. My brain is broken.

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019

The Artificial Kid posted:

Most gynaecologists will tell you that the best fertility test is trying to get pregnant.

You have valid points, and I’m not trying to start drama or pretend like I have experience on this topic, but I take issue with this line of reasoning. Why can’t a woman both not want kids enough at that moment in time to want to (or be in the position to) try to conceive, but also be concerned about preserving her future fertility? I dunno it just sounds like a paternalistic brush off that isn’t rooted in the real life choices the patient has to consider.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

TeachesOfPeaches posted:

You have valid points, and I’m not trying to start drama or pretend like I have experience on this topic, but I take issue with this line of reasoning. Why can’t a woman both not want kids enough at that moment in time to want to (or be in the position to) try to conceive, but also be concerned about preserving her future fertility? I dunno it just sounds like a paternalistic brush off that isn’t rooted in the real life choices the patient has to consider.

"Paternalistic brush-off" pretty much sums up my entire medical history.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

"Paternalistic brush-off" pretty much sums up my entire medical history life.

Yup

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Same.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I really hate how my 28-day BCPs slowly screw up the timing on my other maintenance prescriptions which are all 30-day of course. soon I won't be able to refill them all at once because insurance companies suck :negative:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

luv 2 have a hair-trigger temper for a solid week, can't even say anything about it bc people treat you like an unexploded bomb and I'm here like "were it not for my immensely powerful self-control you would have been long dead by now"

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Best period reason I ever read:

Uterus wants baby.
Uterus does not get baby.
Uterus wants revenge.

one time I read an article that said the reason humans get periods when most animals don't is because human embryos are more deeply implanted in the host's body, cause more complications, and are more prone to abnormalities, so the uterus wants to create a hostile environment for newly-fertilized eggs to make drat sure the mediocre ones get flushed

this characterization makes me feel better about my periods because while I still don't particularly want a uterus it at least feels more like we're on the same page vis-a-vis violently rejecting potential pregnancies

would be nice if I could let it know there's no chance of me being pregnant and it can chill, though

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Tjadeth posted:

one time I read an article that said the reason humans get periods when most animals don't is because human embryos are more deeply implanted in the host's body, cause more complications, and are more prone to abnormalities, so the uterus wants to create a hostile environment for newly-fertilized eggs to make drat sure the mediocre ones get flushed

this characterization makes me feel better about my periods because while I still don't particularly want a uterus it at least feels more like we're on the same page vis-a-vis violently rejecting potential pregnancies

would be nice if I could let it know there's no chance of me being pregnant and it can chill, though

I remember being a kid and seeing our dog in heat, and how she'd have to wear loving panties to keep the blood off the carpet. "Ah that sucks to be her," I remember thinking, pre sex ed, pre puberty. How much it had to suck to have to wear something clearly annoying a few times a year!

Irony.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tjadeth posted:

Maybe a telegram? :shrug:

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

I had an ultrasound earlier this week to see if I had appendicitis because of some pain in my right side (didn't have appendicitis, still not sure what it was.) They also looked at my right ovary. Doc told me the ovary and everything was normal but he'd email me the ultrasound report. I noticed the report mentioned a bunch of immature follicles on my ovary so I made a phone appointment to ask if that was anything to worry about. I thought it was fair to double-check because I've always had super heavy and unpleasant periods and multiple symptoms of PCOS. Anyway he sounded extreeemely annoyed with me and said it was the normal findings at the end of the ultrasound that was important and the follicles just hadn't grown yet or whatever and now I feel like a huge dumbass :negative:

Also I'm on my period right now and it blows

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You'd also feel bad though if you hadn't checked, he didn't need the attitude for something that you were right to ask about. Maybe take the report and get a second opinion if possible?

My period that started the other day seems to have tapered off. A week+ of irritability, sore (although great looking) tits and a complete inability to concentrate, for like 2 days of medium to light bleeding... Maybe I'm almost through the endless stage??

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

angry emu posted:

I had an ultrasound earlier this week to see if I had appendicitis because of some pain in my right side (didn't have appendicitis, still not sure what it was.) They also looked at my right ovary. Doc told me the ovary and everything was normal but he'd email me the ultrasound report. I noticed the report mentioned a bunch of immature follicles on my ovary so I made a phone appointment to ask if that was anything to worry about. I thought it was fair to double-check because I've always had super heavy and unpleasant periods and multiple symptoms of PCOS. Anyway he sounded extreeemely annoyed with me and said it was the normal findings at the end of the ultrasound that was important and the follicles just hadn't grown yet or whatever and now I feel like a huge dumbass :negative:

Also I'm on my period right now and it blows

Don't feel bad. Even if the doc is right and it is nothing, he should have mentioned it before giving you the report OR apologized for freaking you out while explaining it. There is a reason reports aren't normally given out to us lay people without a lot of interpretation; we just don't know what to freak out about.

Never apologize for asking about something you don't understand; it's part of responsible advocacy for your own health.

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

Wish me luck ladies. I’m about to have my nexplanon sliced out and replaced today.

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That really sucks, and the fact that so many women in this thread echo the same sentiment confirms how stuck in the dark ages women's healthcare is. I have always heard individual women's stories about doctors not believing them about their own bodies, but it wasn't until a friend of mine got pregnant that I learned how deep the problem goes. So many pregnancy-related issues, which often involve serious risks including death, aren't well understood at all and medical science can't seem be bothered to research them. When you contrast this with conditions like erectile dysfunction that have been so heavily funded and publicized that there are like 17 different treatments for it, it's really depressing.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Zoesdare posted:

Wish me luck ladies. I’m about to have my nexplanon sliced out and replaced today.

Good luck!! Mine was relatively painless, I only ran into trouble because I let her wrap the bandage way too tight around my arm afterward. I was paranoid about the new implant popping out and didn't consider, like... circulation.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

extra row of teeth posted:

Nothing worse than achy titties!

I can't have periods anymore obviously, but they put me on Orilissa to control the endometriosis and it gave me the ACHIEST BOOBS IN THE WORLD. I was trying to squeeze by my boyfriend's chair one evening my nipple clipped the (soft leather) chair corner, and this was somehow enough to cause me to screech in pain like a banshee, which caused him to scream in reflex scream in panic, and we just kind of screamed like idiots for 10 straight seconds.

Like if that is what getting hit in the balls is like than holy poo poo do I feel bad for men.

i once slammed my laptop closed on my nipple. not a pleasant experience.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

DemonDarkhorse posted:

This made me chuckle in the real world.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

DemonDarkhorse posted:

I managed to catch my nipple piercing under the lip of the drawer under an oven and then slammed the door shut. I took the piercing out forever that day.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
A friend shared this on Facebook:

quote:

Franka Frei: Recently I finished writing my Bachelor's thesis about the portrayal of Menstruation in media and society - a real taboo topic. So taboo in fact, that the coordinator of my German university not only refused to help me but actively discouraged me from formulating this topic in a way to find a supervisor. (She told me that I would never find a professor who would approve this topic. To paraphrase what they said in English, there is no scientific bases for this topic and the reason for that: it's a taboo).

Now that I've successfully completed my bachelor thesis and defended it before a panel of professors in my final presentation, everybody involved has recognized the importance of this topic since ignorance surrounding menstruation has wide reaching consequences for the environment, the economy and financial and social gender equality.

I'm not trying to convince you to throw a "period party", neither am I going to wave a used tampon underneath your nose. I just want people to be aware of some important facts:

Half of the population of the world loses approximately a 30-50 milliliters of blood every month (for approximately 40 years of their live time - this makes up six and a half years in total). Although this process is crucial for the origin of every single human being, menstruating people have been heavily discriminated in many major religious texts and even scientific medical consensus up to the middle of the 20th century. The connotation of menstruating women evokes images of poisonous monsters, the devil, psychological and physical deficits and above all, in the vast majority of cases, being depicted as unclean and inferior. (This is part of the old testament: "When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening." To sum up the entire text, menstruating women should be completely excluded from society and live like a hermit for seven days.After which, in order to return to civilization they are also required to bring two doves to a priest who will sacrifice them in a ceremony to "purify" the woman. If people don't guard against this "uncleanliness" the whole society will collapse. [Leviticus 15:19-33]. No bullshit.)
Ofcourse, you can say that as a society we have developed past such extreme views, but in fact this attitude still presents itself in more subtle ways. Nowadays women are still being stigmatized (She´s just grumpy because she's on her period. We can't have a female leader - what if she starts a war when she gets her period!!??) and portrayed as hysterical, over emotional and not being able to make clear decisions. (Remembering Trump's comment about Fox moderator Megyn Kelly....)

As a consequence women and girls feel ashamed and uncomfortable, whisper to each other like criminals when they need a tampon because of their "biological weakness" and are not taken seriously when they have ailments related to their period.
Worldwide, every day, women and girls are being held back in social situations, education and work, don't have access to sanitary products or are being excluded from society due to lack of education and are being declared as unclean and inferior.
In India 20 percent of girls drop out of school with the beginning of their menstruation. In many other countries women are socially prohibited from leaving the house during their menstruation due to a fear that they are contagious and could spread diseases like cancer.
Even in Germany, half of the women say that they feel uncomfortable in social situations while menstruating. 16 percent of them have described missing school, work or other engagmentents because they are afraid (!!) that others might notice that they are on their period. So in fact, this social stigma is so strong that people will remove themselves from society during their period!

Many women feel shame when buying tampons in a supermarket (in Germany, this is reported as one out of five) and on top of that, it costs them an arm and a leg! Pads and tampons are taxed heavily almost everywhere. In Germany, they are taxed 19 % which is the highest possible for general goods (higher than totally necessary items like salmon caviar or cut flowers).

If you ask yourself "who would make up such a rule?" it doesn't take long to realize: People who don't menstruate.

Over a lifetime, women pay on average a four-digit number just for their period (according to bloodyluxurytax.de 8600 Euro including almost 1650 in taxes).* This reinforces gender and economic inequality, while there is already a gender pay-gap in Germany and on top of that women are required to pay an extra cost every month for their essential needs.

Btw for everybody who hasn't heard of it before, there is a reusable, hygienic alternative to tampons called the menstrual cup (or moon cup) which is of course not made of ceramic but medical silicon 😉. Not only is this a lot cheaper because you buy it once for around 20 Euros, and it lasts for years but it is also a better option for the environment because it prevents thousands of tonnes of disposed tampons and pads ending up in landfill.
Luckily, in recent years there is movement starting to grow in order to change the attitude towards periods. In some countries the "tampon tax" has been abolished or lowered. Even on the day I presented my thesis, Scotland decided to give sanitary products away for free to low income women. (In your face university!!)

This is part of the reason why I am posting this and why I wrote this thesis in the first place. To stop period shaming, raise awareness of economic inequality and the mistreatment of women because of this natural bodily function. We have to end this taboo in order to create a more fair and equal society. So I ask you to talk about this issue, raise your voice against this stupid tax, write papers about it and embarrass ignorant professors (my examiners - especially the male ones - were left speechless and had to acknowledge the value of this work) - and everybody calm down. It's just a bit of blood.

#bloodyluxurytax #period #menstruation #menstruationmatters #erdbeerwoche #SCA #planinternational #unicef #vivalavulva #pinktax #tamponsteuer
This is the original post which I created a few days ago in German: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...535730007697666

check out my blog: https://www.frankafrei.com

*source: http://www.bloodyluxurytax.de

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Pinus Porcus posted:

owns

loving owns!

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019

Pinus Porcus posted:

Hell yeah :golfclap:

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

Apparently in Arizona you can’t stock nexplanon? I have to wait two weeks and answer mystery number phone calls in case the dispensing pharmacy calls to verify that I do in fact want this implant before they send it to my HCP.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't know if there's a law vs. if they just don't do enough for it to make sense to keep in stock. I'm in NYC, and my private gyn practice doesn't keep Nexplanon in stock, there's a whole rigamarole where I would have to order it and pay for it to be shipped to them and then my insurance would reimburse me. Orrrr I can just go to Planned Parenthood, which has a lot higher volume, so they keep it in stock and it goes smoothly.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

my ovaries frickin hurt. stop ovulating already you idiots. I don't even want kids

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Why can't we just do like most fishes and expel the eggs without everything else? Ever seen a female betta or pleco who gets rejected or has no male around? They loving shot put/machine gun that poo poo right out. Let's just drop all our eggs at once, let us have the choice to without everything else!

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure if this has been posted here already or not, if it has I apologize for the reposting.

I used a Transcutaneous Electronic Neural Stimulator (TENS) unit for chronic pain, and it works wonders for muscle spasms in my neck and lower back.

This device is very similar in function to a TENS unit but is designed specifically for endometriosis pain, so I thought I would share it with all of you.

https://mylivia.com/reviews/

I hope it can bring quality of life to someone.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I'm not sure if this has been posted here already or not, if it has I apologize for the reposting.

I used a Transcutaneous Electronic Neural Stimulator (TENS) unit for chronic pain, and it works wonders for muscle spasms in my neck and lower back.

This device is very similar in function to a TENS unit but is designed specifically for endometriosis pain, so I thought I would share it with all of you.

https://mylivia.com/reviews/

I hope it can bring quality of life to someone.

May this phoenix always rise. Thanks for posting this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Dr. Jen Gunter implores you to save your money and use a normal TENS machine!

https://drjengunter.com/2016/05/24/livia-isnt-a-new-off-switch-for-period-pain-its-an-expensive-tens-unit/

There’s also a more recent Vice article about that company:

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/pa7z49/livia-period-cramps-device-scam