Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pure Michigan!

(It sure doesn’t refer to the water!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thank god for science so we can see the oncoming doom further and further in advance

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's now a 20% chance to rain in New Orleans for today and tomorrow. That's the difference between the west side of a Gulf storm and the east side of a Gulf storm

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So the area around Mobile will get... 15-20+ inches of rain?

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

PostNouveau posted:

She has turned her fury on Alabama, as all good people should.

https://twitter.com/MargaretOrr/status/1305700025817858049

congrats to the guy I know from high school on Facebook who wanted to escape the smoke in Salem and so took his family on vacation to the panhandle

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

actionjackson posted:

So the area around Mobile will get... 15-20+ inches of rain?

they're probably more concerned about the storm surge

but yeah probably a foot or more of rain is a big deal too

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
Is Sally still downgraded?

Yeah there are areas of Mobile that will flood badly probably.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they're probably more concerned about the storm surge

but yeah probably a foot or more of rain is a big deal too

Yeah if you're close to the watersheds or the bay it's gonna be a tough couple days. Also, shocker, we have some poo poo drainage in this town. Streets just flood on regular rainy days.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lotsa places along that stretch of the coast just dump their stormwater (and sometimes their sewage thanks to crossovers) straight into the gulf with outlet pipes right on the beach, it's gross as hell

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Star Me Kitten posted:

Is Sally still downgraded?

Yeah there are areas of Mobile that will flood badly probably.

Cat 1 now, but it's so slow-moving that the flooding is much more a worry than the wind speed that the categories measure.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

Cat 1 now, but it's so slow-moving that the flooding is much more a worry than the wind speed that the categories measure.

Yeh I saw its really slow moving. Just camping out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Star Me Kitten posted:

Yeh I saw its really slow moving. Just camping out.

Isaac, which hit New Orleans in 2012, I think, landed as a tropical storm, not even a hurricane, and sat on us for like 2 days and knocked out power for a week.

Entergy loving sucks, so maybe you'll have a better response to the power outages. Sally is smaller than Isaac too, I think. Isaac wasn't strong but it was huge.

Anyway fill your bathtub with water and your freezer with bottles of water.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

hobbesmaster posted:

Pure Michigan!

(It sure doesn’t refer to the water!)

i mean it did, you can literally drink from the great lakes. which is why choosing to go to the river water in flint was so asininely stupid

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Update from tomorrow...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/anthonyduarte03/status/1305932146536853504?s=21

alrighty

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

2020 gonna make sure everyone gets a lil cyclone action, how generous

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Good streamers right now? I know it's not a crazy slawd cane but I wanna stare at windshield wipers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sometime around noon today I began smelling something weird but couldn't place it. Just stepped out on my balcony to stretch before I leave for work only to see the sky totally hazy with a slightly orange tinge. Guess the wildfire smoke has arrived from the west

Temperatures forecast to plunge 20 degrees over the next 36 hours, real cool.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

dr_rat posted:

Update from tomorrow...

wow so presidential

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sometime around noon today I began smelling something weird but couldn't place it. Just stepped out on my balcony to stretch before I leave for work only to see the sky totally hazy with a slightly orange tinge. Guess the wildfire smoke has arrived from the west

Temperatures forecast to plunge 20 degrees over the next 36 hours, real cool.

it's finally below 100 AQI at my house today lol

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Shear Modulus posted:

it's finally below 100 AQI at my house today lol

Phone sez it's 293 right now in Portland, which is the best it's been for several days.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Real Mean Queen posted:

Phone sez it's 293 right now in Portland, which is the best it's been for several days.

278 here which is the first time it's been below 300 since thursday

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm still waiting to get to the fireworks factory.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Its unseasonably warm here.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/MUmqy7C.mp4

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The cone for Sally keeps shifting east, looks like things might get ugly for Pensacola

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Star Me Kitten posted:

Anyone posting about sally? Still cat 2?

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Piotrowski/status/1306007982531018752?s=20

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/pppapin/status/1306008864018530305

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

storms can ride the African side of the azures high, go right over the canaries, azores and “take off” west again right

Maria Juana
May 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Zeno-25 posted:

The cone for Sally keeps shifting east, looks like things might get ugly for Pensacola

There’s a huge navy base there :smugdon:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A couple of days ago Levi Cowan did say that a lot of factors were going to make this storm hard to model, and that was part of why the NHC spread the hurricane warning from the middle of LA into West FL

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The wind is finally picking up but no too much.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Floor is lava posted:

were getting a bunch of that wild fire smoke here in southern indiana and its supposed to be way worse as the week goes on

Hey fellow Southern Indiana goon.. I can only assume this is why I thought the sun was the moon on my way to work this morning.

It looked just like the photo others posted.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

the air is clean

what is this i dont understand

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

what kind of wizardry is this

:trumppop:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

FlamingLiberal posted:

A couple of days ago Levi Cowan did say that a lot of factors were going to make this storm hard to model, and that was part of why the NHC spread the hurricane warning from the middle of LA into West FL

My understanding is that really slow storms are always hard to model, because the weak forces moving them are so subtle.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

golden bubble posted:

My understanding is that really slow storms are always hard to model, because the weak forces moving them are so subtle.
Yes you have the fact that it's near land as one factor, and there is a frontal system approaching Texas that is causing some wind shear to come from the west. I believe there are also steering winds from the east, so it's kind of just stalling out but it's going to start getting pushed more north and then east here, it's just a matter of when. Current forecast is landfall tomorrow morning in Alabama, but it's going to move real slow.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:vince:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Iron Crowned posted:

When I left for work this morning, I did note that the moon had an orange cast to it.

Imagine believing in the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/status/1306041502506856448