Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Finished 2 more Marines this week.

I intended to be more detailed with the Sgt and less so on the other, but I couldn't help myself. I did skip a couple edge highlights though.

Also while painting the head I intended on skipping the eyes since I hadn't done them in such a long time, but said gently caress it and decided to get something simple in there.

Things got intense

It looks more humorous when you can see the mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
spilled a bunch of tesseract glow today!
good news: it only really got on my hobby board (which is just an old cutting board I've retired from my kitchen) and my fingernails
bad news: now it looks like I've been eating mountain dew-flavored cheetos all day

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

For GW pots, use those little plastic tubes that come with brushes to hold the lid open. Only cures the symptom, not the cause. But hey, it's something.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I want to paint some Black Templars but I've never painted pure black before.

I dont like edge highlighting with just grey, it looks flat;

I dont like highlighting with blue as it ends up just looking blue, not black.

My only other idea is to either start black and layer up with black greys or underpaint with grey and glaze black over.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Usually that causes paint to dribble off the inside of the lid and collect around the rim, which then you can't close the lid properly and the paint dries out quick.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Phi230 posted:

So I want to paint some Black Templars but I've never painted pure black before.

My only other idea is to either start black and layer up with black greys or underpaint with grey and glaze black over.

I like this method of basing grey and then using drybrushing and multiple black washes, works really well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7o2JUUjDTI

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

For GW pots, use those little plastic tubes that come with brushes to hold the lid open. Only cures the symptom, not the cause. But hey, it's something.

Brilliant lol, I'll give it a shot

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Floppychop posted:

All of a sudden my world has changed for the better.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Phi230 posted:

I split the difference with a blue-grey. Specifically, I use Reaper Glacial Mist. I think Fenrisian Grey would match.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Phi230 posted:

Anything that is pure black or white with no color in it is always boring. Deep blues enhance black a lot. If it ends up looking blue, then it means you used too much blue. Black takes insane levels of effort to get to showcase quality, no way around it. You're going to be highlighting up and glazing down multiple times to get stuff looking good.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Also, one key to highlighting black and keeping it looking black is to remember that black is the midtone and shadow. Like, if you would normally have 30% shadow, 40% midtone, and 30% highlight, you'd paint 70% of the area black.

The same works with white, just with midtone and highlight.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Silhouette posted:

Obviously you've never used the screw-top bolter shell jars from the early 2000s, where you could wind up with a useless jar of paint right off of the goddamn store shelf because it dried up in transit.

The newer jars are just slightly altered versions of the old Foundation ones.

I was about to post this, these were the main paint types for most of the period I was a kid painting 40k and they sucked so much. they'd regularly get paint in the screw and become impossible to open/close even before the paint in the pot itself dried, too

the very first paints I got from them were flip tops (I think the bolter shells came out with 40k 3e?) and I think they outlived all the bolter shells I ever had

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

The big magic glyphs were a nice touch! I know it was probably unintentional but it feels like you can almost make out what the glyphs are conveying. A tree, two people, and a squiggly line? Gotta be lightning bolt! A bird, a skull, and a snake? Some sort of poison spell maybe?

I am afraid not, but i wish i thought about that!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Are Scale75 paints normally a little watery? Or do I just need to shake the hell out of them more? They seem runny.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Cross posting from the 40k thread

Commissar Canuck posted:

Still working on the other two, but I finished the first of the three bikers from the Indomitus box. These bikes have always belonged to the Blood Ravens, what are you on about?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Funzo posted:

Are Scale75 paints normally a little watery? Or do I just need to shake the hell out of them more? They seem runny.
You need to shake them a more. I bought bigger-than-usual metal agitators just for them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Phi230 posted:

Here's a tryhard method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXzfVO2Kdw

It uses a blue tinged chromatic black for highlights and a magenta tinged chromatic black for shadows.

Eej fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 15, 2020

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Funzo posted:

No, they are thick as hell, if its watery it needs A LOT of shaking.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

Here's a tryhard method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXzfVO2Kdw

It uses a blue tinged chromatic black for highlights and a magenta tinged chromatic black for shadows.

I settled on this method since I can't do NMM yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPoYkLs8pYI&t=382s

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anything I need to know for using Army Painter's Quickshade Washes compared to GW's stuff?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

DoubleDonut posted:

Anything I need to know for using Army Painter's Quickshade Washes compared to GW's stuff?

They're not as strong but operate pretty much exactly the same.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

DoubleDonut posted:

I find you really have to shake them thoroughly. It seems sometimes when I use them without shaking as much as I should they dry glossy.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Painting black update 1: bainting black is hard

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I can't recommend Black Templar contrast paint highly enough if you're painting a lot of majority-black minis. It works incredibly well.

The crowman on the left is pure Black Templar. The kobold on the right is an experiment where I painted Creed Camo over a coat of Black Templar to give it an ever-so-slight greenish tint.

Black Templar with a Drakenhof Nightshade pinwash for all the deepest recesses, and with some very light yellow highlights (to make it look like the shiny bits of the armor are reflecting something other than pure white light) would probably work really well!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 16, 2020

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
i did this with black templar (obviously not finished, but you get the idea)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

i did this with black templar (obviously not finished, but you get the idea)

Please don't upstage my upcoming wraithguard post with a single coat of BT contrast. TIA.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Painting black update 1: bainting black is hard

Try Eshin Grey + Dawnstone drybrush + three coats of Nuln Oil. Add a focused Celestra Grey drybrush highlight between the second and third Nuln Oil coats if you're feeling sassy. It looks great and it's stupid easy. There are a couple YouTube tutorials that will walk you through it start to finish.

Here's how it turns out:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

tangy yet delightful posted:

Please don't upstage my upcoming wraithguard post with a single coat of BT contrast. TIA.

Hey man those sexy smooth curves are just askin' for contrast paint

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Verisimilidude posted:

For amount of time, energy and money it would take to transfer the paint into droppers you might as well just get Vallejo or Army Painter.

I love Vallejo a lot-a lot, but to be frank there's nothing I could find in their line-up that's even close to Zandri Dust. I paint a lot of Orruks and I just love the look of their wrist straps or choppa hilts painted in Zandri + some Sepia shade. I can't seem to find a Vallejo paint that has a look even close to that. I could mix that color I guess but, ugh, I'm not sure where to even start.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Phi230 posted:

This is the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezj-8jFpVwc

E: Don't be like me. Actually use black for the base color, not some kind of Corvus Black or German Grey.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Phi230 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7o2JUUjDTI
This worked great for me

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yeah it really seems like Black Templar, Apothecary White (for shading white effectively) and Snakebite Leather are top-tier.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im probably gonna go ahead and buy some or all of the brown and beige contrasts, I’ve been really impressed with black and white so far. Sang guard wings look really good with a coat of apothecary white over a light ivory basecoat

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

TotalHell posted:

Yeah it really seems like Black Templar, Apothecary White (for shading white effectively) and Snakebite Leather are top-tier.

Add the yellow to that, it's magic

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Does vallejo makes brush on white primer?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Their surface primers are meant for either air or hair brush

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; nvm i have the dumb

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yes.

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/surface-primer-en/white-70600/

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Anyone ever paint wizkids minis or the d&d ones? They're made of this poo poo plastic and I'm trying to paint them up for this dungeon of the mad mage boardgame and I can't figure out a way to stop the swords and staves from bending and warping. I hit them with a hairdryer and they keep bending back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yes, but Stynylrez is better and is also brushable.