Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Things I've gleaned about Australia from SA:

1. Don't take off your shoes or don't wear shoes. (Because spiders, snakes.)

2. Don't sit on the toilet. Better to hover over it. (See above.)

3. Don't stand under trees you don't recognize the species of. (Spiders, snakes, caustic tree juice, stinging leaves, falling nuts.)

4. Don't dawdle near murky water, but I'm used to that one on account of the alligators.

5. Everything is half a second away from exploding into flames. Trees, wildlife, tradie utes.

6. If a man wearing heavy boots, shorts, and a florescent shirt punches you out of nowhere, chill. It's how they say hello.

7. Drive on the left or, you know, whatever.

8. Some of the wild animals are cuddly, said the man with seven fingers in total.

9 - Pingers are MDMA pills.

9a - Which can be inserted rectally.

9b - And probably urethrally as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tight aspirations posted:

Yeah that's how we insert them anally into our party buddies

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

tight aspirations posted:

9 - Pingers are MDMA pills.

9a - Which can be inserted rectally.

My druggie sense is tingling.

Nevermind, that was just my prostate.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drat, they really used to ban over nothing.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

hard counter posted:

big tiddy geth gf

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hey now, after a certain latitude you don't have to worry about the bathrooms because there's always a frog hiding somewhere, having hopefully eaten all the spiders. One time I didn't notice til I flushed and noticed it clinging to the inside of the bowl under the rim.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey now, after a certain latitude you don't have to worry about the bathrooms because there's always a frog hiding somewhere, having hopefully eaten all the spiders. One time I didn't notice til I flushed and noticed it clinging to the inside of the bowl under the rim.

We had a big ol' snake in our school toilets in Chengdu once. He was cool as hell. Probably kept a lot of grosser things away. I was sad when I came in the next day and he was gone.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

madeintaipei posted:

Things I've gleaned about Australia from SA:

1. Don't

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Who the gently caress wears shoes in the house other than people in scorpion states?

Oh, wait... EVERYONE I'VE MET IN MY THREE-PLUS YEARS LIVING IN SPAIN.

Of all the stereotypes I hate, this one annoys me the most.

Can attest to this, though we're not that keen on hardwood floors (they are mostly tiled or stone here) so maybe that's one of the reasons why?

I have a friend from the Balkans who told me that in her country is considered polite to take your shoes off and wear slippers even when you are visiting other people. I have never ever seen that in Spain and I think it'd be considered rather odd to ask, unless you live in, like, some 18th century mansion with wood flooring or valuable tiling or something.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Who the gently caress wears shoes in the house other than people in scorpion states?

Oh, wait... EVERYONE I'VE MET IN MY THREE-PLUS YEARS LIVING IN SPAIN.

Of all the stereotypes I hate, this one annoys me the most.

Is it even a stereotype that people all around the world have about Americans? I only see it levelled against Americans by Canadians (or other Americans who share the same climate as their northern neighbours). Part of it is a TV/movie thing with characters wearing shoes inside all the time.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Even if you don’t have particularly nice floors, it kind of sucks when some gravel stuck in the treads starts scratching the floors up.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Lobok posted:

Is it even a stereotype that people all around the world have about Americans? I only see it levelled against Americans by Canadians (or other Americans who share the same climate as their northern neighbours). Part of it is a TV/movie thing with characters wearing shoes inside all the time.

Everyone I ever met in East Asia ever, and likely because of the TV thing. I've had Canadians tell me things like "Americans don't have gym class" and "Americans aren't smart enough to teach Asian students" but never got dinged on the shoe thing.

I don't know why it bugs me so much! Maybe because I also personally find it gross behavior.

(I have zero interest in refuting or being proven wrong of either of the quoted "facts" about Americans, do not think all Canadian believe this, I don't want to fight about it guys plz)

Jiru posted:

Can attest to this, though we're not that keen on hardwood floors (they are mostly tiled or stone here) so maybe that's one of the reasons why?

I have a friend from the Balkans who told me that in her country is considered polite to take your shoes off and wear slippers even when you are visiting other people. I have never ever seen that in Spain and I think it'd be considered rather odd to ask, unless you live in, like, some 18th century mansion with wood flooring or valuable tiling or something.

Yeah, it makes sense here (at least where I live) because it really never gets muddy, but I still hate it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

descending on a funny quote like stymphalian birds, armoured in an incredible, impregnable belief that people have strong feelings about whether you wear shoes inside the house

If you ever want to derail a thread on SA just post "Huh, in [x part of the world] they do [everyday thing] slightly different, I've noticed" and a hundred goons who have had that exact same minor thought will stampede the thread

The discussion flow format on Reddit handles this better than most webforums, I've noticed

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you ever want to derail a thread on SA just post "Huh, in [x part of the world] they do [everyday thing] slightly different, I've noticed" and a hundred goons who have had that exact same minor thought will stampede the thread

The discussion flow format on Reddit handles this better than most webforums, I've noticed

Huh, on reddit they do threading slightly different, I've noticed

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Hooky The Cripple posted:

AND DON'T loving SEND THIS POST TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET LIKE YOU DID THE LAST TIME.

The last post I opened less than 24 hours ago was somehow shitcanned, but before I did there was a massive positive response about the grunge scene, some of my favourite bands, which are from I guess the "user friendly later stages" of grunge.

What I want to do with this thread is open up some good music fan dialogue. What I know of what 'grunge' is, is of course Nirvana, very early Pearl Jam (I have the alive guy tattooed on my shoulder FFS). Sonic youth.. early (very) Smashing pumpkins... and there was a lot of late 80s bands who I was familiar with and created some very influential music which has helped forward todays music into the right direction.

GAS ME AGAIN. gently caress IT. GO AHEAD. BAN ME EVEN. TRY YOUR LUCK. I'LL RE REGISTER FROM ANOTHER IP. I AM ONLY ASKING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT GRUNGE MUSIC AND THE CHANGE OF PUNK TO GRUNGE THAT STARTED IN THE US.

In a nutshell, I would like to learn a little more about mid to late 80s music and early 90s music.

For some reason my new pet cat loving LOVES gritty guitar and heavy bass guitar... I took her in from a home who was going to send her to the pound [/sympathy card]... The thing is, she's really discerning. I'm not a crazy pet person, but well... the cat seems to know its poo poo. Early PJ, but not late, early Radiohead, real punk.. (I'm talking 25+yrs old minimum)... she likes the good stuff. The cat is absolutely transfixed.. It's like nothing Ive ever seen before.

Teach me about some good grunge and or punk.

For some reason she doesn't like RATM... but that is a side issue for now.....

Teach me... that is all I ask.. no more, no less. Teach me about the best of what was indie/alternative from 1985-1995.

Just teach me.

edit: queue post going to hell in a handbasket... at least with a great soundtrack

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i just assume everyone who gets really angry about other people not taking their shoes off in their home is actually just a secret foot pervert

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just lol if Enrique doesn’t remove your footwear and cleanse and anoint your feet with scented oils the second you walk in the door.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Baron Harkonnen in his hover whitey-tighties "The cum must flow!!!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Just lol if Enrique doesn’t remove your footwear and cleanse and anoint your feet with scented oils the second you walk in the door.

I don't need footwear as I split all my time between my bed and my palanquin.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lobok posted:

and my palanquin.

Oh I love her movies

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yes, but do you remove your shoes from the front or the back?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Do you put both socks on and then your shoes, or do you put on one sock + shoe and then the other sock + shoe?

I'm a sock + shoe guy because I'm not going to go to all the effort of lifting each foot up more than once, that's goddamned inefficient.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

i just wear flip flops

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Do you put both socks on and then your shoes, or do you put on one sock + shoe and then the other sock + shoe?

I'm a sock + shoe guy because I'm not going to go to all the effort of lifting each foot up more than once, that's goddamned inefficient.

If you arr like me and don't actually plan putting your shoes on in advance this can lead to hobbling down the hall with one leg longer than the other

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Dareon posted:

Yes, but do you remove your shoes from the front or the back?

Please explain to me how you take your shoes off from the front

Don't spare any details, either. Really get into the nitty gritty. Tell me what each of those naughty little toesies are doing. Do they smell? I bet they smell. Talk about the smell please

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I wear my socks on the outside of my sandals.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I cram one tit in each shoe and use 'em like a bra. It's not like I go outside anymore; might as well get some use out of these.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I cram one tit in each shoe and use 'em like a bra. It's not like I go outside anymore; might as well get some use out of these.

Surely you can use your tits at home and not just in public?

(I suppose you don't get speeding tickets at home)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RFC2324 posted:

If you arr like me and don't actually plan putting your shoes on in advance this can lead to hobbling down the hall with one leg longer than the other

Because of the peg leg?

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

freemandela posted:

i just wear flip flops

:hfive:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SiKboy posted:

Because of the peg leg?

because shoes have heels, and sometimes you have a 3 inch difference while you look for the other shoe as a result

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Because of the peg leg?

I snort laughed

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I hate flipflops. I also hate feet. So I prefer people to saw their feet off when they visit me.

My middle name is incidentally Procrustes

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

because shoes have heels, and sometimes you have a 3 inch difference while you look for the other shoe as a result

Relatable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8qU0GdW88Q

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

gonna have to remember to steal someone elses shoe next time

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i usually take my shoes off about 10% - 12.5%, because shoe removal culture's different over here than in the US. i guess if i went to america i'd need to take my shoes off 20% minimum.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I gotta imagine that's how all y'all roll, because trust me: after I've been schlogging in a hot, humid kitchen for 10 hours, you do NOT want me to take my shoes off until I've had a shower and changed my socks and shoes. The feet of the fry cook are phenomenally funky.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

i usually take my shoes off about 10% - 12.5%, because shoe removal culture's different over here than in the US. i guess if i went to america i'd need to take my shoes off 20% minimum.

I usually just take them all the way off.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

that really depends on the meal and what you get with it. its only 20% at dinner, you can get away with only taking off 15% for lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Don't need to take your shoes off to go inside if you're always barefoot.

This post brought to you buy the barefoot is legal PAC. Originally narrated by Inceltown.

You do not need to consult your doctor before going barefoot, they're in big shoes pocket