Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

re: promo It looks like Homelander just cuts their signs in half

Man, I was so worried that in Summer 2020, a tv show based on "Maybe corporations... are evil" would be a bit unnecessary, but this season is HYPER relevant to current news hot damnnnnnnnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Butcher comes across as someone who has always been manipulative and borderline emotionally abusive and controlling, while pretending he's one of the boys (yes, I know) and just 'aving a laugh.

Being raped by Homelander and seeing what a monster he is may have been what it finally took for Becca to see her relationship with Butcher with clear eyes.

In the comic you know what the difference between Butcher and the supes? Absolutely nothing. He really is a horrible human being doing what he does just for revenge.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Keltar posted:

About the preview. I don't believe Homelander will go psycho and start killing people next episode, it's likely a fantasy of his we saw as he continues to get more frustrated by things he can't control so he starts daydreaming of him going on a rampage because who can stop him really? But I don't believe he'll actually do anything public wise yet, it'll be a slow build to when he finally snaps or gets revealed as the monster he is. Maybe next season, especially if this season ends with his son and Becca dying. Crazy thing is, I can see Butcher maybe being partly if not a lot of blame for that, he's not a good man,though he's much more civil less a poo poo heel than he is in the comics by a multitude but he's still Butcher.

Have they ever done anything like that before? I feel like it's a hard line, either you're a show that does this sort of thing or not.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

PostNouveau posted:

Have they ever done anything like that before? I feel like it's a hard line, either you're a show that does this sort of thing or not.

In this show? No, but it's a common trope in TV and movies and they can easily slide it in there.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/wuGpaxJ.gifv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDI8ZYWEcKU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Keltar posted:

In this show? No, but it's a common trope in TV and movies and they can easily slide it in there.

They could definitely start, but it's a line that you'd have to keep crossing. Like at the end of the show, they're not gonna have one single daydream sequence.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Might want to put that in spoilers for anyone that is particular just in case since it was discussing a possible outcome for an episode that hasn't aired yet.

If they do it then I doubt they'll do another but honestly so many TV and movies have done it at least once it wouldn't be a big surprise and it makes more sense at this point in time. Especially with Homelander still trying to keep the Sevens good name going.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 15, 2020

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Starr definitely has the same affliction as Tom Holland where they frequently look like they're hiding a frog in their mouth.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

There’s a daydream sequence in the first episode when Hughie gets the check.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Retrowave Joe posted:

There’s a daydream sequence in the first episode when Hughie gets the check.

ooo yeah there is. I think that does open the door, although Hughie is the "main character", which is another thing where shows only do dreams with one character.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

PostNouveau posted:

ooo yeah there is. I think that does open the door, although Hughie is the "main character", which is another thing where shows only do dreams with one character.

Is he? By what metric?

Not to be argumentative but I haven't felt that way, personally.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno, we live in a society where half the time when a man tells a woman she looks good without all her make up while she’s actually still wearing makeup designed to not look like she’s wearing makeup. I think women would have an easier time picking starlight or Maeve out in their civies but a 10 minute walk around a college campus like UPenn or Drexel in the springtime and you’ll see 50 women who look exactly like her, and I wouldn’t be able to tell any ten of them apart.

It took me a while to realize who that guy with glasses was in photos of that cast interview. Star really looks different out of his HL getup. I suddenly buy the whole Superman schtick of just putting on glasses and boom! Clark Kent.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is he? By what metric?

He's the person thrown into fantastical and unfamiliar circumstances who is being changed by them.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is he? By what metric?

He's literally the relatable target demographic stand-in. Young, white, nerdy, tech savvy, into comic books and toys, maybe not the best home/family life, etc. This is Hughie's journey.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

PostNouveau posted:

He's the person thrown into fantastical and unfamiliar circumstances who is being changed by them.

"The"????

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
hughies the one that sat in da belly of da beast

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

moist turtleneck posted:

hughies the one that sat in da belly of da beast

:hmmyes:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Elephant Ambush posted:

He's literally the relatable target demographic stand-in. Young, white, nerdy, tech savvy, into comic books and toys, maybe not the best home/family life, etc. This is Hughie's journey.

Interesting. I think that's one of the strengths of an ensemble cast is that people latch on to the character that reminds them of themselves and it feels like they're the main character. I'm not a superhero of course, but Homelander's overall lifestyle is much more "relatable" to me than the life of a TV salesman, so to me it feels like Homelander is the star of the show and it's much easier to pick up on his journey. Conversely, the missus feels like it's Starlight's show which makes since given her background in beauty pageantry and strength training (and the various "Deeps" from those worlds she's had to deal with)

PostNouveau posted:

Still chewing on this one and I'm not sure I agree. Sideshow Mel gets hit in the face with the pie, but it's Krusty the Klown's show. The straight man, or "foil", is rarely the protagonist, but I suppose I see why many viewers find them relatable.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Boys if using the 5 Man Band archtypes building your team is interesting because Butcher is the leader, but he's also the Lancer. Though I would say MM is more the Leader archtype while Butcher is just the Lancer who has control over the team. Hughie is clearly the heart, Frenchie the Tech guy and Kimiko the Heavy.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
How the gently caress is Homelander's lifestyle relatable to anyone?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol just lol if you didnt grow up in a white padded room

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rando posted:

People who go to protests from another state with an AR-15 and shoot 2 people and then try to surrender to cops but because they're white the cops just tell them to go home?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Real weird that Hughie loves Billy Joel even though he's a supe. Check out the Second Wind music video for proof.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Yeah lol what exactly is Homelander's lifestyle besides flying all over the world just doing whatever he feels like at any given moment and sadistically torturing whatever human has the misfortune of capturing his attention that particular day? I also don't see what anyone could relate to there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

The Boys if using the 5 Man Band archtypes building your team is interesting because Butcher is the leader, but he's also the Lancer. Though I would say MM is more the Leader archtype while Butcher is just the Lancer who has control over the team. Hughie is clearly the heart, Frenchie the Tech guy and Kimiko the Heavy.

Now do a D&D alignment chart

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Rando posted:

I don't shoot lasers out of my eyes but I think a lot of his existence is grounded in reality. Not commonplace, but real.

-Wealthy upbringing
-In the public eye from a young age
-Expectations of him are sky-high
-Uncontrollable temper has jeopardized past relationships
-No relationship with a father figure
-Benefits from his true superpower (cis white male)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tagichatn posted:

Real weird that Hughie loves Billy Joel even though he's a supe. Check out the Second Wind music video for proof.

He's also immortal and undetectable because he stays in that families kitchen from the 50s into the 80s.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

PostNouveau posted:

Hughie did (or didn't, I guess) do that to the Vougt underling in the first episode.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't shoot lasers out of my eyes but I think a lot of his existence is grounded in reality. Not commonplace, but real.

-Wealthy upbringing
-In the public eye from a young age
-Expectations of him are sky-high
-Uncontrollable temper has jeopardized past relationships
-No relationship with a father figure
-Benefits from his true superpower (cis white male)

did you wear a bathrobe to school every day

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Kimiko is the drummer
Frenchie the bass player
Hughi the rhythm guitar
Butcher the lead guitar
MM the singer.

The Deep is the leprachauns.
Black noir the stonehenge set.
Homelander is, of course, stage directions.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Has anyone watched Inside the Boys on Prime? Any good?

e: watching the episode about season 2 epaidoe 1. Will report.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 15, 2020

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Bro Dad posted:

We call that college time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PostNouveau posted:

Also Starlight though. If Hughie is main character, so is she.

And... you can really argue all the boys are. And Kimiko...

Elephant Ambush posted:

White guy = has to be main character? Uhhhh no, thankfully that isn't necessarily true, even in American shows.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bro Dad posted:

When I was in Cambridge, literally yes, but pretty much as a reaction to needing to wear slacks and a blazer for the previous 13 years

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rando posted:

The star of a show doesn't have to be relatable. They can be. Different stories work different ways.

Y'all are so dang arrogant about FICTION its crazy.

E: I don't think homelander is the main character but arguing so definitively over a concept as nebulous as "main character" in this context is insane.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Also Starlight though. If Hughie is main character, so is she.

And... you can really argue all the boys are. And Kimiko...

No. 2 for sure but she was already in the supe world, so ehhhhhh

Ditto the other boys. They're old hands having worked with Butcher in the past. Kimiko's too minor a presence.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I never read the comics and am pretty dumb so this isn't really news to anyone but I just realize that Black Noir's name is Black Black and that's very funny to me.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

The star of a show doesn't have to be relatable. They can be. Different stories work different ways.

Y'all are so dang arrogant about FICTION its crazy.

E: I don't think homelander is the main character but arguing so definitively over a concept as nebulous as "main character" in this context is insane.

I didn't say anything about who was or wasn't the main character. I asked how the lab-grown flying laser man was relatable to anyone.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

Now do a D&D alignment chart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I have some notes