Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raposa posted:

GorfZaplen posted:

Don't skip the first movie either, the ending sequence to that is really breathtaking too

Excellent, more to look forward too. I've not looked at each disc yet, I remember there being a few ova's like the rise of lord genome VS the antispirals being talked about back in the day, are any of those in there?

Does it mention Parallel Works? That's the name of the little sidestory shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Afraid not, so much for being a complete box set I suppose. I bet I can find em online somewhere though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Overall the movies are great but in retrospect they really should have been done in three parts rather than two, would have had to skip over less stuff that way

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I feel like two movies makes sense thematically, one for child Simon and one for adult Simon. You do lose some great stuff there though, especially the battle between King Genome and Simon.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

GorfZaplen posted:

I feel like two movies makes sense thematically, one for child Simon and one for adult Simon. You do lose some great stuff there though, especially the battle between King Genome and Simon.

Yeah, that's why I tend not to recommend the first one, you lose some great moments compared to the second only adding them imo.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Watching SDF Macross for the first time, I'm three episodes in. My only previous experience with the franchise is watching Macross Plus a few years back and thinking that it had beautiful animation but the story and characters left me feeling pretty cold. I'll be interested to do a rewatch after I've finished SDF Macross and see if my opinion changes.

Some random thoughts:

• That OP loving owns. I wasn't sure if I wanted to sit down and watch this series, but the OP had me sold almost immediately. MACROSS!

• Love that Hikaru, while being a pilot, is not suddenly a savant at piloting the VF-102, and is not some sort of immediate combat god. He freaks out when combat starts, can't pilot the VF for poo poo when it transforms into a robot, and goes into shock after his first fight.

• There's more comedy beats in this so far than I was expecting, but I'm enjoying them. Hikaru calling Hayase "old lady" and the rest of the bridge crew trying to stifle their laughter was really cute.

• The animation, when it's parts that the budget was spent on, is really beautiful, and I am utterly in love with the mecha design on display here. It's a little distracting when (notably in the start of episode 3, I think?) everyone's face seems to go dramatically off model in sliding reaction stills, but eh, it's hardly a dealbreaker and just part and parcel of watching older anime.

I'll keep :justpost:ing my reactions as I go.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah, that's why I tend not to recommend the first one, you lose some great moments compared to the second only adding them imo.

I mostly agree with this, with one asterisk: the first movie is really good if and only if you've already seen the series. It's really bad as a compilation movie for people who haven't seen the show because it skips so much characterization and a bunch of cool things, but the new stuff is amazing for someone who's already seen the stuff it skips.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 16, 2020

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What are the macross frontier movies like? I'm going through the series for the first time in 12 years (it's still awesome) and plan to watch the movies after.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

What are the macross frontier movies like? I'm going through the series for the first time in 12 years (it's still awesome) and plan to watch the movies after.

They are the best Macross since Plus. I think they are superior versions of the show.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Ethiser posted:

They are the best Macross since Plus. I think they are superior versions of the show.

I strongly disagree. The only worthwhile part is the music.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Anshu posted:

I strongly disagree. The only worthwhile part is the music.

That still leaves a LOT of room for the movies to be good, which they are. They're very different plot-wise from the series, but are still an authentic Macross Frontier experience. You should watch, and love, both the series and the movies.

Honestly, some of the twists in the movies are hilariously awesome, like the SMS gang putting on a concert as a distraction for prison-breaking Sheryl, who has been sentenced to death for espionage. C'mon, what's not to love ?

e.

Mode 7 posted:

[*] Love that Hikaru, while being a pilot, is not suddenly a savant at piloting the VF-102, and is not some sort of immediate combat god. He freaks out when combat starts, can't pilot the VF for poo poo when it transforms into a robot, and goes into shock after his first fight.

Starting a tradition that Frontier continues: even the unready protagonists are qualified pilots the first time they get in the cockpit of a VF. No whiny teenagers who suddenly prove to be mecha piloting savants in Macross ! Even Hikaru in Delta can make a cargo-handling mech dance before he lands in a VF-31 cockpit.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 19, 2020

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kingtheninja posted:

If you want my take I'll say they're sometimes better and sometimes worse than the series. Along with the standard bits of recapping the series there are some really great inspired parts, some parts with really great action, some desirable and positive changes, and some really kind of bleh changes. I'll say I prefer the ending of the series to the ending of the movies, but I'll also say the last 30 minutes of movie 1 is some of my favorite Mecha stuff period.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

mllaneza posted:

That still leaves a LOT of room for the movies to be good, which they are. They're very different plot-wise from the series, but are still an authentic Macross Frontier experience. You should watch, and love, both the series and the movies.

Honestly, some of the twists in the movies are hilariously awesome, like the SMS gang putting on a concert as a distraction for prison-breaking Sheryl, who has been sentenced to death for espionage. C'mon, what's not to love ?

I have two big issues with the film versions:

First, keeping Michel alive and having Ozma and Sheryl disappear failed to heighten the stakes and tension as we approached the final climax. By the time of his death in the show, Michel was a developed secondary character, and his exit made a profound impact both on the viewers and on the characters left to mourn him. In contrast, Ozma is a tertiary character at best (especially in the films, which by their nature have less time to flesh out minor characters), so we care about him less, and Sheryl is a co-protagonist, so we know she can't die until the final concert and/or battle of the movie. It's just much less affecting storytelling.

Second, the films consistently downgrade the contributions of its female cast. Grace O'Connor is hit hardest by this, going from the charismatic, scheming face of the Galaxy conspiracy to a puppet whose good nature was overridden by cybernetic controls, but Sheryl and Ranka get it too. In the show, their duet over the Vajra home planet is what turns the tide in Frontier's favor, and Alto merely delivers the finishing blow by severing the conspiracy's physical link to the Vajra queen. In the film, the narrative agency shifts to Alto, as he and the other pilots first have to shoot the control implants off the Vajra drones before Sheryl and Ranka's singing can reach them, but then they don't have to get rid of the queen's (far more extensive) implants, it's enough for Alto to just land in her hand and "deliver" their song, whatever that means.

To sum up, it fails to tell its story as well as the show told its story, and it shows a pattern of moving plot relevance away from female characters and toward male ones which I did not appreciate.

And the music was excellent, as you'd expect.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Anshu posted:

I have two big issues with the film versions:

First, keeping Michel alive and having Ozma and Sheryl disappear failed to heighten the stakes and tension as we approached the final climax. By the time of his death in the show, Michel was a developed secondary character, and his exit made a profound impact both on the viewers and on the characters left to mourn him. In contrast, Ozma is a tertiary character at best (especially in the films, which by their nature have less time to flesh out minor characters), so we care about him less, and Sheryl is a co-protagonist, so we know she can't die until the final concert and/or battle of the movie. It's just much less affecting storytelling.

Second, the films consistently downgrade the contributions of its female cast. Grace O'Connor is hit hardest by this, going from the charismatic, scheming face of the Galaxy conspiracy to a puppet whose good nature was overridden by cybernetic controls, but Sheryl and Ranka get it too. In the show, their duet over the Vajra home planet is what turns the tide in Frontier's favor, and Alto merely delivers the finishing blow by severing the conspiracy's physical link to the Vajra queen. In the film, the narrative agency shifts to Alto, as he and the other pilots first have to shoot the control implants off the Vajra drones before Sheryl and Ranka's singing can reach them, but then they don't have to get rid of the queen's (far more extensive) implants, it's enough for Alto to just land in her hand and "deliver" their song, whatever that means.

To sum up, it fails to tell its story as well as the show told its story, and it shows a pattern of moving plot relevance away from female characters and toward male ones which I did not appreciate.

And the music was excellent, as you'd expect.

it's been a long, LOOOOONG loving time since TV MacF, but basically this is my opinion?

(can we have a young October 2008 or 2009 again)

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Marathoning Fafner, I'm 19 eps into Exodus and I dunno if this makes me weird but I loving love this show and how utterly weird it is and how eagerly it dives into it's own weirdness.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched an old Pawn Stars episode and someone had an old Brave Raideen toy on there.

They got like $600 for it.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Just finished tearing up over TTGL episode 8, Later Buddy. Started episode 9 immediately and I forgot that Nia just immediately gets a standout line against Adiane. "Are you aware of who I am?"

I remember first watching and being gobsmacked that they'd kill off Kamina, and then very next episode comes along a new character who paraphrases his key line in such a way. That's when I knew this was a very good story.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raposa posted:

Just finished tearing up over TTGL episode 8, Later Buddy. Started episode 9 immediately and I forgot that Nia just immediately gets a standout line against Adiane. "Are you aware of who I am?"

I remember first watching and being gobsmacked that they'd kill off Kamina, and then very next episode comes along a new character who paraphrases his key line in such a way. That's when I knew this was a very good story.

It really was. And it's all the more impressive how well it was all pulled off because it clearly had some major rewrites in the back half. Gurren Lagann was big enough to escape the shadow of its predecessors at Gainax, which (as the endings to multiple 2018 anime show) is a pretty drat long shadow.

Of course, not every show can be... good. For example, Macross Zero? Not all that good two episodes in. The lead is dull, Roy's swagger doesn't give him enough impact to stand out like he should given his performance in other shows, the globe-spanning war feels relatively weightless despite supposedly being so big that raw rookies are getting tossed in the meatgrinder, and most of the music is below Macross's (usually high) standards.

The fights look... alright. To be fair, that's pretty good considering the era and the techniques used. A mech anime with CG fights from 2003 that reaches passible is a wonder after seeing Gundam Igloo. But they aren't the draw they were when it first came out, which kind of takes away the main thing that got people recommending a relatively dull show. So... better than two, worse than plus so far. Although the scene of Shin hijacking a crashed mech in a rage was definitely an awkward one.

Still better than the legendary Tenkuu Danzai Skelter+Heaven, which is basically like someone animated the bad ending from a dating sim rpg with a shorter run time than a pokemon episode and a budget so low it spitefully denies comparison. It's basically like the Creeping Terror, where you have something that would be terrible in a gross, spiteful way if it was more competently done, but that's terrible in a funny way because it screws up so much.

Also, Patlabor has been really up and down. Sometimes you get a really solid episode, and sometimes it's just dull. It's weird, especially after the films and the OVAs were so solid, but it's definitely slowing my watch down.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TheCoach posted:

Marathoning Fafner, I'm 19 eps into Exodus and I dunno if this makes me weird but I loving love this show and how utterly weird it is and how eagerly it dives into it's own weirdness.

Fafner owns and you're not weird at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Just found out they make NERV MREs

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Just found out they make NERV MREs

send a box to Steve1989MRE to get them reviewed

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Just made it to Kittan's moment in the sun. I'm not crying, you're crying!

No! This is MY soul! King Kittan! GIGA! DRILL! BREEEEEEEAK!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

... -ER

:argh:

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Those og subtitles from the pirate groups were pretty dope. They got all fancy with the text of the attack names too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

The fights look... alright. To be fair, that's pretty good considering the era and the techniques used. A mech anime with CG fights from 2003 that reaches passible is a wonder after seeing Gundam Igloo. But they aren't the draw they were when it first came out, which kind of takes away the main thing that got people recommending a relatively dull show. So... better than two, worse than plus so far. Although the scene of Shin hijacking a crashed mech in a rage was definitely an awkward one.

Macross Frontier actually helps explain Macross Zero. I mean, it's still confusing as he'll, but it's less confusing now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBgMIYA874

The Zero stuff is around ep 12, and some later references.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TomAznable/status/1314404907110158336?s=19

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are you fuckin' kidding me. Right after all this SD blu-ray nonsense we had here?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo non lovely laserdisc rips of mellow link. I'm loving ready

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ahahahahahhaahha. Hopefully they sell Mellowlink by itself in North America.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

mllaneza posted:

Macross Frontier actually helps explain Macross Zero. I mean, it's still confusing as he'll, but it's less confusing now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBgMIYA874

The Zero stuff is around ep 12, and some later references.

I'm actually right before the zero stuff in frontier, is it any way essential to watch zero or do these episodes summarize it in a way?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm actually right before the zero stuff in frontier, is it any way essential to watch zero or do these episodes summarize it in a way?

It's just a movie Sheryl and Ranka are making. The fact that it's based on a previous work is just a nice little reference for Macross fans, rather than something plot-important.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean sheryl is the descendant of the older girls from zero, or the younger or something

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean sheryl is the descendant of the older girls from zero, or the younger or something

The younger one. The older girl vanishes into the universe or something.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

If only the rest of Macross zero would follow suit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Some really severely hosed up poo poo had to have happened been done to put Sheryl on the streets as a child given who her mother and grandmother were. It adds depth to the domestic scenes in e20 or thereabouts.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Promare is reeeal good. I love that Krays bot is basically a terraforming autobot design.

Not to mention the giant robot flying kick, and then immediately making fun of it.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Hahahaha the drill

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
the probably final Rebuild of Evangelion film now titled Evangelion 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon A Time has a release date and new trailer that just came out;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CEjqATcPAg

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It feels just impossible to decipher the Evangelion movies as someone who has only seen the original series.

Are they sequels? A remake (“rebuild”?) Are the different 3.0 movies interchangeable renditions of the same plot, or concurrent stories, or sequels to one another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

It feels just impossible to decipher the Evangelion movies as someone who has only seen the original series.

Are they sequels? A remake (“rebuild”?) Are the different 3.0 movies interchangeable renditions of the same plot, or concurrent stories, or sequels to one another?

Yes.