Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s not about being weird it’s about being fake.

Like Americans that pretend they have a British accent to sound more posh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

I pulled up an interview with her on MAD Money and honestly it doesn't seem that weird or unusual after listening to it for a few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfaJZAdfNE

Also its funny how she tries to sidestep questions, like whether Theranos uses other companies' traditional blood testing machines or how many tests the Edison can run. I suspect her lawyers had warned her of her precarious legal situation at this point. And the part where she says they're charging $2.99 for a $10k test might be true, in which case they were using the Uber economic model of losing money on every transaction, but making it up in volume.

The only people involved in Theranos who came out the other side better then before were the lawyers.

And even then I think at least 1 outside counsel quit after a few months of dealing with them, deciding it wasn't worth the hassle.

What a lot of people not actively following it don't remember is when Carreyou published the first major article there was insane pushback, all the dialogue was about some white male journalist trying to tear down a female icon who's the next Steve Jobs.

Even all the interviews from actual experts saying "what they claim is impossible, period. Whatever they are doing it's not what they are telling the public" everything was about the power of innovation and how you can't tell a genius they can't do something.

I can highly recommend Bad Blood for any reader, if only for the insane behind the scenes stuff like Mattis trying to push the military to accept a battlefield test unit even after this rejected it, one of the things that drew attention to the scandal being a wealthy family friend who felt slighted they weren't included in the original IP and decided to sue to claim copywright, to Tyler Shultz trying to plead with his grandfather to believe him and having Theranos lawyers calling up his close family telling them Tyler was gonna be in a load of trouble if he didn't shut his mouth.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s not about being weird it’s about being fake.

Like Americans that pretend they have a British accent to sound more posh
Or Pete Buttigieg trying really hard to sound like Obama.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Or Pete Buttigieg trying really hard to sound like Obama.

Oh man I forgot about that that was even weirder as he was doing on national television and in front of crowds so everyone knew it

At least she was doing it to execs and the occasional interview

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh man I forgot about that that was even weirder as he was doing on national television and in front of crowds so everyone knew it

At least she was doing it to execs and the occasional interview
I get it for her. Men are lovely and if you get better results by sounding deeper, then sure go for it. For Pete though there was no possible motivation besides wanting to make an Obama skin suit.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I had heard before that the fake deep voice thing was to give potential (male) investors early on something to talk about. I can totally imagine the first guy she pitched to going to his golfing buddies and saying "You gotta check this chick out, shes got such a weird voice"

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

pentyne posted:

The only people involved in Theranos who came out the other side better then before were the lawyers.

Theranos's main lawyer, David Boies, was a major investor in Theranos, so I have to guess he didn't come out how he wanted.

I really like the point in Bad Blood where Carreyrou talks about one of the lawsuits, the one with her dad's friend, I believe, where he just can't understand how Theranos can afford to keep paying for one of the biggest names in law, only to realize too late that he was getting paid in Theranos stock, and the strategy of just running up legal bills simply couldn't work against them.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
One thing I've always wanted to ask Carreyrou about was what it was like in the meeting with David Boies when it finally occurs to him that David Boies, one of the most feared and competent litigators in all of America doesn't know poo poo.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I got the inside scoop boys:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I get it for her. Men are lovely and if you get better results by sounding deeper, then sure go for it. For Pete though there was no possible motivation besides wanting to make an Obama skin suit.

Holmes voice was all about her wanting to be Steve Jobs. Just like the turtlenecks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Holmes voice was all about her wanting to be Steve Jobs. Just like the turtlenecks.

Steve Jobs didn't have a deep voice though. It was hilarious she had her meetings on a specific day because it's when Jobs did.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

hawowanlawow posted:

I got the inside scoop boys:

Thank you for the intel. It’s a shame what John had to do in order to get it.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Groovelord Neato posted:

The best part of the Theranos documentary was one of the first investors being interviewed in a bitcoin tie.

Tim Draper, a Bitcoin and VC grifter from way back. He's the guy who went on CNBC in a Bitcoin tie defending Theranos after it was busted as a fraud.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't see what's the big deal with Holmes faking her voice. It's not much worse than short men wearing platform shoes or women wearing pushup bras/tons of makeup. There are plenty of valid things to criticize her for, things that aren't obviously just an extreme manifestation of the way business culture pressures women into doing messed-up things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I don't see what's the big deal with Holmes faking her voice. It's not much worse than short men wearing platform shoes or women wearing pushup bras/tons of makeup. There are plenty of valid things to criticize her for, things that aren't obviously just an extreme manifestation of the way business culture pressures women into doing messed-up things.

It’s the cherry on top of all the other hosed up poo poo OP.

HTH

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

divabot posted:

Tim Draper, a Bitcoin and VC grifter from way back. He's the guy who went on CNBC in a Bitcoin tie defending Theranos after it was busted as a fraud.

I love how his defense of a comment he made at some conference that he'd still invest with her was that he wouldn't want her running the show but as CTO or in a science role. Buddy the science was the thing that couldn't possibly work with Theranos.

Vegetable posted:

It's that it was obvious and seemingly nobody saw through it for me at least.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Vegetable posted:

It's goofy and ridiculous.

Plus, for most of us, the first time we heard Elizabeth Holmes speak was either in the news or in the documentary, so it comes after she got busted for pulling off a massive scam against a whole bunch of investors. She gets hyped up as this extremely skilled grifter, and then you actually see her and she has this ridiculous muppet voice performance and you can't help but laugh about how dumb this whole thing was.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If anything it just adds to the absolute failure of journalism in our country. A crazy person can get in front of interviewers and put on a clearly fake voice and lie through their teeth and absolutely no one will call them on it. It's like when that idiot pretended his kid got carried away in a balloon and then no one dared call him a liar in any interviews even though his kid straight up admitted it and then puked on camera.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
The issue with investigating Homes is less that she used an affected voice, it's that she made this big claims that everyone seemed to just accept as gospel. Journalists treat Silicon Valley as a place where wizards create wondrous miracles, and thus they don't investigate. Zuckerberg has all kinds of loving weirdness that gets ignored and doesn't matter compared to the path of destruction Facebook has left in its wake. Stunningly few people even brought her claims to the appropriate people and even those who called her out rarely followed up. Even if she used her regular speaking voice, the follow up on her claims should have happened. The red flag isn't her voice, it's her massively disruptive claims.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you can't even be honest about your voice, then what should someone trust? It's like if she went into an interview wearing a ridiculous fake mustache and glasses. It's such a weird thing to do that it should have sent up a red flag to look closer at what she was claiming.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If she was more lazy about cultivating her public persona's voice then yeah it's weird that someone didn't catch it sooner. But lol at those "incriminatory" compilations where she occasionally says a short phrase in a slightly higher pitch. It's clear that she tried very hard to keep it consistent and she was generally successful. I was hugely disappointed that the docu about Theranos couldn't even muster a recording of her supposedly authentic voice.

And yeah, what this guy said:

Thomamelas posted:

The issue with investigating Homes is less that she used an affected voice, it's that she made this big claims that everyone seemed to just accept as gospel. Journalists treat Silicon Valley as a place where wizards create wondrous miracles, and thus they don't investigate. Zuckerberg has all kinds of loving weirdness that gets ignored and doesn't matter compared to the path of destruction Facebook has left in its wake. Stunningly few people even brought her claims to the appropriate people and even those who called her out rarely followed up. Even if she used her regular speaking voice, the follow up on her claims should have happened. The red flag isn't her voice, it's her massively disruptive claims.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vegetable posted:

If she was more lazy about cultivating her public persona's voice then yeah it's weird that someone didn't catch it sooner. But lol at those "incriminatory" compilations where she occasionally says a short phrase in a slightly higher pitch. It's clear that she tried very hard to keep it consistent and she was generally successful. I was hugely disappointed that the docu about Theranos couldn't even muster a recording of her supposedly authentic voice.

I never heard any of her slip ups and it was obvious the voice was phony watching interviews when Theranos was on the rise. Like Solice Kirsk in their other post I felt like I was on crazy pills because the people whose job it is to investigate this stuff in the media never once pointed it out - I think Bad Blood was the first time I saw it mentioned. At the time I had no reason to think Theranos was phony since I have no clue how medical tech works but I was thinking "why the gently caress would she do this and why is nobody pointing out how weird it is".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I have no idea why people are so desperate to defend her here, somehow her weird grifting personality that was targeted to make people want to defend her is still a thing I guess

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have no idea why people are so desperate to defend her here, somehow her weird grifting personality that was targeted to make people want to defend her is still a thing I guess
Yeah we're really lining up to stan for lizzy holmes here, that's what's going on

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm not defending her. I am pointing out that if you're doing a proper postmortem on Theranos, the red flag you need to look for is wild claims that can't be backed up in any depth. Might also be good to add a complete lack of transparency. Being hyper litigious before getting to market is another one. Not, does the founder speak oddly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Thomamelas posted:

Her "claims" were fundamentally impossible in so many ways she should've never got a single cent. The whole "40 tests from a drop of blood" was complete horseshit with half those tests are destructive to the cells they are studying.

There was never a single successful use of the basic technology they were promising, everything they showed was a hacked up facsimile to show forged results from samples run on commercial equipment.

But, ya know, LadyBoss!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

pentyne posted:

Her "claims" were fundamentally impossible in so many ways she should've never got a single cent. The whole "40 tests from a drop of blood" was complete horseshit with half those tests are destructive to the cells they are studying.

There was never a single successful use of the basic technology they were promising, everything they showed was a hacked up facsimile to show forged results from samples run on commercial equipment.

But, ya know, LadyBoss!

yes yes yes, but....what if it did work??? and our COMPETITORS got exclusive rights?????? better give her a billion dollars

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

brugroffil posted:

yes yes yes, but....what if it did work??? and our COMPETITORS got exclusive rights?????? better give her a billion dollars

One of the things I found super telling was the VC firms that specialized in medical and biotech stuff passed hard on her. The dumb money in that field felt her ideas were dumb should be something to make you pause.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Thomamelas posted:

I'm not defending her. I am pointing out that if you're doing a proper postmortem on Theranos, the red flag you need to look for is wild claims that can't be backed up in any depth. Might also be good to add a complete lack of transparency. Being hyper litigious before getting to market is another one. Not, does the founder speak oddly.

If your doing a proper post one you bring up everything as there is literally no reason to be defensive as it actively undermines anything you’re trying to do.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ahahahahahahaha

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Do you think Holmes would've taken it to the extreme of doing a juice cleanse instead of proper treatment if she got cancer?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If she used her machines for the testing she probably would never have found out.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

CharlestheHammer posted:

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you can't even be honest about your voice, then what should someone trust? It's like if she went into an interview wearing a ridiculous fake mustache and glasses. It's such a weird thing to do that it should have sent up a red flag to look closer at what she was claiming.

Most of the voice "defending" was two trans people commenting directly on why focusing on her voice makes us feel weird. Am I dishonest with clearly something more to hide if I go to a job interview and try to use a more feminine voice pattern and don't immediately announce that I am trans?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shiroc posted:

Most of the voice "defending" was two trans people commenting directly on why focusing on her voice makes us feel weird. Am I dishonest with clearly something more to hide if I go to a job interview and try to use a more feminine voice pattern and don't immediately announce that I am trans?

no, because you're not doing it as a weird rear end power move to try and grift executives. affecting a voice for your own comfort isn't really the same deal as affecting a voice to manipulate people.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hey nice conversation about a funny clearly fake grifter voice

sure would be a shame if someone were to come in here and make it about themselves

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's still pretty obvious that no one is defending her, just pointing out that stuff verging on transphobia. Which is a lot more relevant to the people in this thread who aren't millionaires rather than the one woman who wanted to become Steve Jobs.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Do you think Holmes would've taken it to the extreme of doing a juice cleanse instead of proper treatment if she got cancer?
We can always hope to find out. I'm going to go with yes, and she'd probably try to patent juice cleanse as cancer cure and sell that to VCs before dying.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

just pointing out that stuff verging on transphobia.

What?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Trans people mimick Steve Jobs, everyone knows this

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The serious answer is people are projecting their own very specific issues into this lady which doesn’t actually make sense as we know for a fact why she did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Thomamelas posted:

One of the things I found super telling was the VC firms that specialized in medical and biotech stuff passed hard on her. The dumb money in that field felt her ideas were dumb should be something to make you pause.

Early on, and this goes to show how aware she was, Theranos deliberately pitched itself as a SV tech company that was solving bio/medical problems rather then specifically a bio company solely because there would be far less scrutiny on the medical aspect of it all.

It's still pretty obvious that no one is defending her, just pointing out that stuff verging on transphobia.

Maybe spend some time offline for a bit if you're really starting to see microagressions in the performace of a women who changed her voice while trying to scam people out of billions.

If you didnt actually read the book or follow the story, she would get caught dropping the voice and then freak out on people warning them to never speak of it and went back to trying to role play Steve Jobs.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Sep 16, 2020