Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

DrDork posted:

They do if you want to enable RTX at >1080p, though. But, yes, it'd be nice to see them add it to games where the visual quality improvements would be a bit more noticeable.

MSFS is up to MS to fix, considering it's on DX11 right now.

e; lol, just checked the player numbers and freaking Farming Simulator 19 has over double the active players of MSFS on Steam. It also loses handily to Conan Exiles (wut?), VRChat, SMITE, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Borderlands 3, and Stardew Valley.

I imagine most of the people playing MSFS are doing so through Game Pass.

Also, all those games are free or have been on huge sales before unlike MSFS and don't require a high-end computer to run well, except for Borderlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
luv to launch a highly anticipated product at 9 in the morning

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

Beats the poo poo out of midnight on a work night. I get a good night's sleep and about an hour of productive work and caffination in before I have to F5 for my life.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MarcusSA posted:

Sorry it’s just a toy. You shouldn’t be excited for it.

thats not what i said, man. im setting an alarm to try to get one on launch day, im excited for it! but there are def people taking it too far.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Perfect Potato posted:

9 EASTERN actually so I am probably just gonna set my alarm for 5am cuz I'm real dumb

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
2PM GMT :smuggo: and on my day off work too. :getin:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cygni posted:

thats not what i said, man. im setting an alarm to try to get one on launch day, im excited for it! but there are def people taking it too far.

The only one who should be taking this seriously is ME, so I can get one. The rest of you should take it easy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m going to be in the Best Buy parking lot while madly refreshing my laptop on multiple websites.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I was really annoyed that I had to be up at 6 AM this entire week for a virtual conference but given that I'll actually be awake for the orders to open maybe it's a silver lining. Was hoping to read the reviews yesterday but I guess i'll have one day to decide how hard I want the 3080.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
preorders only make sense if the product is going to change its production to meet demand.

otherwise it's just a reservation system. doesn't matter when it opens!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

preorders only make sense if the product is going to change its production to meet demand.

otherwise it's just a reservation system. doesn't matter when it opens!

Yeah this is what has me confused. It’s not a pre order.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
I’m definitely waiting for reviews. Too much power and heat for there to not be at least 1 card model that doesn’t get adequate cooling. I’m willing to wait to see which one it is.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Kraftwerk posted:

So I'm getting mixed messages from Canada Computers. One location is saying they're taking deposits on RTX 3080s and you just have to "bet" on which card will be in stock, other locations are denying any kind of pre-ordering exists per NVIDIA.
Sounds like not everyone is getting the same memo.

Either way it looks like I'll be lining up early in the morning to try and get an FTW3 card from EVGA and depending on how I feel I would be willing to step down to the XC3 if I can't get the FTW. I do not believe the other brands will build this thing properly with the exception of maybe ASUS and Gigabyte.

Hey quoting this again because I happened to be out doing errands and decided to just drop into the store and talk to them. They are not taking "preorders" but they are sort of loopholing it by having a waiting list instead. As you say, you have to ask for a specific model and then you go on the list. As they get stock in, they will offer it to the person at the top of the list. It's not a preorder because they aren't taking money.

I am 8th on the list for an EVGA FTW3, but the guy said that might be months away from actually being available. They apparently have no idea how many of each card they will be getting. So I guess instead of lining up in the morning I will just f5 and try to get lucky and get an FE instead.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Beats the poo poo out of midnight on a work night. I get a good night's sleep and about an hour of productive work and caffination in before I have to F5 for my life.

Gonna finish work on Wednesday, beat off to some gamers nexus performance graphs and pass out early. In the morning we ride... to probably Micro Center because it seems like Best Buy might pre sell everything online.

All I have left to do to get ready is Dremel one of my bays off the drive cage in my old 450D so I have clearance all the way to the front.

Sure I could move the drive cage down to the bottom but then I wouldn’t have three 140mm intake fans.

We didn’t come this far to make compromises.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
LMAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtPg8MHVG2k

e: I should probably provide some context, it's the Galax 30xx intro video, and it's real tight

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 15, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

11 FAN BLADES

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Checked out of curiosity and my Fractal R6 is compatible with the 3090, although the width is closer than you might think. I wonder how it would perform pushed up against a case face in a vertical mount, GN's thermal analysis is going to be really interesting.

Thinking about the width made me check and the width is also 27mm wider than the Quadro RTX 8000 blower. I also do wonder about thermal performance with multiple cards stacked next to each other with aligned coolers (swapping some of the fans/blades for contrarotation might help if a suitable replacement can be found, multiple fans spinning in the same direction are less effective).

We all kinda jumped on that person for saying the FE cooler might be good for datacenter but tbh I forgot about the 4U "hump" style server, I wonder how it will do in those, stacked together with aligned coolers. The connector coming out of the card at a 45 degree angle might actually be fairly low profile in that you could bend some cables around a normal-sized cooler and maybe avoid the hump - but the 3090 is far too big for that (27mm bigger than the old reference blower), and I think the smaller cards don't have the 12-pin.

I think you might be able to make it with a 3090 in a 5U server though?

If there ever ends up being a 3070 Ti or 3080 Ti whatever with 16-20GB of VRAM and one of the smaller blow-through coolers, that might make an interesting cheapskate ML training box.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 16, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Taima posted:

LMAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtPg8MHVG2k

e: I should probably provide some context, it's the Galax 30xx intro video, and it's real tight

As hilarious as the video is, the optional extra fan that clips to the back is interesting. First time I've seen that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

AirRaid posted:

As hilarious as the video is, the optional extra fan that clips to the back is interesting. First time I've seen that.

At least they were smart enough to allow it to be removable.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

GTC is in a couple weeks so hopefully they’ll launch the Quadros and the Titan (?). I was originally just going to go for the 3090 but an unlocked, cooler G6 Titan version would be very interesting from a compute standpoint.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

DrDork posted:

At least they were smart enough to allow it to be removable.

Oh absolutely, can see that fouling a lot of big CPU coolers. I wonder where it plugs in? Separate fan socket on the motherboard or a connector on the GPU?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

lol if you didn't already bribe an employee $100. Hell you should have already been bribing the longshoremen at the docks. It's gonna take some straight up mafia tactics to get one of these.

A new season of the Wire based on the underground GPU trade

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AirRaid posted:

Oh absolutely, can see that fouling a lot of big CPU coolers. I wonder where it plugs in? Separate fan socket on the motherboard or a connector on the GPU?

Almost certainly some exposed pads on the backplate of the GPU.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Do you think they'd drop to GDDR6 on workstation/datacenter cards for power reasons? G6X is supposed to be more efficient per bit, if you clocked it down and dropped the voltages it should be more efficient than using G6 with the same clocks. Or are you thinking about memory timings being different (like how G5X reduced performance on crypto for some coins - like 1070 Ti vs 1080)?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Rabid Snake posted:

A new season of the Wire based on the underground GPU trade

the police demand the dockworkers open up a mysterious container and it's all fried RTX 3090s :(

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Do you think they'd drop to GDDR6 on workstation/datacenter cards for power reasons? G6X is supposed to be more efficient per bit, if you clocked it down and dropped the voltages it should be more efficient than using G6 with the same clocks. Or are you thinking about memory timings being different (like how G5X reduced performance on crypto for some coins - like 1070 Ti vs 1080)?

Wasn't the deop to g6 on the new quatro because they cant make the gddr6x modules to fit 48gb on the cards atm?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

yes i'm guessing the 3090 equivalent is <300W.
i don't think Nvidia would willingly segment their 3070 and 3080 by 100W unless the memory didn't allow for it

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Scarecow posted:

Wasn't the deop to g6 on the new quatro because they cant make the gddr6x modules to fit 48gb on the cards atm?

hadn't heard they moved the quadros to G6, but I guess that makes sense, with G6 they can still double VRAM over the consumer cards. I've read rumors that while the 2GB (16 gbit) G6X modules are in the Micron catalog they're not actually in production yet so yeah if you want high-density modules I guess they'll have to be G6.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 16, 2020

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Well then looks like I won't see these in any real availability for like half a year in my country then. LMAO gently caress this poo poo.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Hey quoting this again because I happened to be out doing errands and decided to just drop into the store and talk to them. They are not taking "preorders" but they are sort of loopholing it by having a waiting list instead. As you say, you have to ask for a specific model and then you go on the list. As they get stock in, they will offer it to the person at the top of the list. It's not a preorder because they aren't taking money.

I am 8th on the list for an EVGA FTW3, but the guy said that might be months away from actually being available. They apparently have no idea how many of each card they will be getting. So I guess instead of lining up in the morning I will just f5 and try to get lucky and get an FE instead.

Which location?
St. Catharines said they were taking deposits.
Richmond Hill basically told me to take a hike- they were extremely unfriendly.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/samred/status/1306008879743094785?s=20

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Technically the embargo lifts at midnight right?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

yes i'm guessing the 3090 equivalent is <300W.
i don't think Nvidia would willingly segment their 3070 and 3080 by 100W unless the memory didn't allow for it

There still has to be more than just memory going on there to case the power gap. I forget which reviewer did the math and posited that the GDDR6X system should be about 25% more power hungry in absolute terms than GDDR6. GDDR6 uses ~2.5W/8Gb package from the minimal literature on actual power use I've been able to find. Even if we assume that 6X uses double the power, you're talking a difference of 25W vs 50W for the chips. That's...not a whole lot there.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

MarcusSA posted:

No, review and retail embargo are the exact same time. 9 AM EST tomorrow.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm considering sticking to my Define R4 for now to save a few bucks on my new build, I was thinking of something mesh front and mATX (Meshify Mini C, perhaps) but a 1440p monitor and a 3080 are looking a bit pricey

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MarcusSA posted:

it's likely 9am EST although some sites will mistakenly or ""mistakenly"" go live at midnight (particularly some smaller random sites who want a bit of buzz)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

K8.0 posted:

gently caress!

That is so annoying. I just wanna read stuff.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Sorta. We'll be getting technical reviews/teardowns of the FE editions tomorrow at 9AM EST.

But, yeah, reviews of AIB cards are obnoxiously embargoed 'till 9AM on the 17th, same as retail release. Can't see what you're buying before hand!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I just hit the phone and called every location of Canada Computers that's open right now and everyone is saying first come first served. I must look like some kind of NVIDIA narc to these guys because I have no idea how the heck other people are getting on a waiting list or pre-pre order list but I'm not.

The guy in Vaughan said that they were getting hammered with calls for this card and people will most likely be camping out for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol