Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Real range in my Model Y going 80mph with the AC blasting is probably 200-220miles. Every 20 miles burns 8-10%. I imagine the 3 is slightly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Cool, thanks. I looked up the Model 3 LR AWD: 320 miles city, 297 miles highway. That highway mileage seems very optimistic so I googled EPA's highway test speed, it's 60 mph. Oof.

That's tricky because "highway speed" varies quite a bit depending on where you live. Here in the northern Virginia area an average of 60mph is a fantasy on major thoroughfares like 496, 66, and 95 during the morning and evening commute.

Also, I can personally confirm that the range of the Model 3 LR AWD drops off a cliff if your average speed is actually above 70mph.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
someone compiled a chart of real world reported consumptions a while back. Old enough there's no Y, but it has the 3

https://twitter.com/TroyTeslike/status/1038920763955396608

That chart claims 270mi at 80mph for LR aero, which seems a little high but not too far off. I could (barely) do round trip Tucson-Phoenix back at ~85, that's about 240 miles, so maybe 250 at 80?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
My experience is also about 250 miles at 75 mph for the LR AWD. The 310 range that they list is hilariously inaccurate for most people.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Elviscat posted:

Do you have access to a multimeter? Because every time you bring this up it sounds like a literally impossible scenario, it makes me so curious, any piece of gear designed for 120V should work from 90-130V, or at least 100-130V. If something was going on making your voltage go so low that your charger hits the low voltage cut off, that would be a huge problem, like TVs and other electronics work, right?

One clue, on the circuit breaker there is only ONE double-pole switch, and that's for the entire duplex.

It's a rental so I'll have the owner bring in an electrician.

Note: I tested the KIA charger at the office 110v and it does work, so my guess is the entire duplex has some strange electrical crap going on.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nitrousoxide posted:

If he's in an apartment or condo then it's possible that he has three phase power coming into the building which is then split out into two phase and one phase power so you may not end up with exactly the same voltages you would get at a single-family house.

If that's the case and he could end up with 208 volt two phase power instead of the 220 or 240 that you might expect.

And perhaps 104v on the 110 sockets which could explain the Kia Charger issue.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think you're misunderstanding what I am saying.

GM P/E ratio: 6.2
Tesla P/E ratio: 967

TRUE, but Tesla is the kind of stock shares you can have fun trading.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

Honestly, highway only range is what mostly what matters to me. Like when am I ever going to drive >200 miles of city-only traffic, and the only time I'd be pushing 200+ miles, it'd be mostly highway.

Well, there's always Los Angeles traffic while you wait for your carpool stickers to show up.

On my way up starting at 6:00 AM (from San Diego), the Kia Niro's predicted range is quite accurate, with 95% of the drive being cruise-control at 75mph.

On the way back starting at 4:00 PM with stop-and-go well into Orange County, I have managed 12% more miles than predicted.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

VideoGameVet posted:

And perhaps 104v on the 110 sockets which could explain the Kia Charger issue.

208 phase to ground voltage is still 120V, thanks to trigonometry and stuff.

Hopefully they get you an electrician out there, I'm very curious as to what's going on.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Tesla must have heard me bitching on here because they just uploaded a bunch more paperwork for me to fill out on the website!

It's the exact same paperwork that I completed two months ago!

I'm not going to get my solar panels installed by the end of 2020 for the tax credit, am I?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrLogan posted:

Tesla must have heard me bitching on here because they just uploaded a bunch more paperwork for me to fill out on the website!

I'm not going to get my solar panels installed by the end of 2020 for the tax credit, am I?

They will complete it December 29 so they get credit for the earnings call or something haha

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MrLogan posted:

]

Well... It is 2020. Might as well pile another thing on the poo poo train.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Elviscat posted:

208 phase to ground voltage is still 120V, thanks to trigonometry and stuff.

Hopefully they get you an electrician out there, I'm very curious as to what's going on.

Friday one is coming out to check this out.

We just had a florescent fixture in the laundry that was installed by SDG&E less than a decade ago ... go bad. Bulb not the issue (9" circular). The ballast went bad.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Fluorescent ballasts are universally poo poo.

If you're not a good Electrician in life you go to Electrician purgatory where you do ballast swaps in commercial buildings all day.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You can take out the ballasts and direct wire to some kinds of LED tubes. The ones I got (Hyperikon) still flicker a little so if you're super sensitive to that try and find some that are full bridge rectified, if any exist?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Last week the owner of the building I work at saw me pull up in the i3, we chatted a bit about EV's, and he asked me if I was interested in charging at the office. I said yes and today they installed a ClipperCreek. I am thrilled for free charging at work!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Free charging, AND a quick response time, drat

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

MrLogan posted:

US building regulations are mysterious. I see posts where people are talking about rewiring their own house without getting an electrician, and yet it takes months to get approval to stick solar on your roof.

It's the reverse in Australia. By law only an electrician can mess with your power points, etc, but putting up solar is a breeze. The installer instals, the power company is notified and a week or two later you're good to go.

Is it US power companies just putting in place regulatory obstacles to rooftop PV?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Charles posted:

They will complete it December 29 so they get credit for the earnings call or something haha

My Tesla solar was finally turned on Dec 29th last year. :golfclap:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Beffer posted:

US building regulations are mysterious. I see posts where people are talking about rewiring their own house without getting an electrician, and yet it takes months to get approval to stick solar on your roof.

It's the reverse in Australia. By law only an electrician can mess with your power points, etc, but putting up solar is a breeze. The installer instals, the power company is notified and a week or two later you're good to go.

Is it US power companies just putting in place regulatory obstacles to rooftop PV?

It's because if your house can generate power it can push said power back into the grid and potentially electrocute line workers when they think they're working on dead lines. iirc the obstacles for installing solar are mostly around proving that you've installed a system that will cut your house off if there's an outage

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Beffer posted:

This is a Tesla problem, not a regulation problem.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Beffer posted:

Its a giant patchwork.. Regulations vary depending on state, city, county, etc... In general its follow the most recent "NEC" issue (National Electric Code). But some jurisdictions add their own flavors/restrictions to that. DIY work is generally accepted and commonplace.

My own community is covered by county level regulation. Which does not require permitting or inspection unless it is deemed "significant work". Like sub panel installations, panel replacements or service upgrades. Anything else is free-for-all.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Charles posted:

I guess they [Rivian] have one in some Apple TV show with Ewan McGregor.
I guess it’s worth fleshing this out a bit more in this thread.

16 years ago Ewan McGregor and his friend Charley Boorman rode some motorcycles around the world, recorded it, and the resulting series (“Long Way Round”) kicked off a boom in adventure motorcycling.

This week the third of these series‘ is coming out on appleTV+ (“Long Way Up”), in which Ewan and Charlie have ridden two Harley-Davidson LiveWires (EVs) from the tip of South America to Los Angeles, with a Rivian support vehicle.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Beffer posted:

This is Tesla being bad at their job, not a regulatory issue.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Electrify America is changing over to per kWh billing in states that support it:

quote:

In those states, which are home to over 70% of Electrify America’s customers, EV owners charging on Electrify America’s network will be charged $0.43 per kWh.

For those who decide to pay a $4 per month Electrify America subscription, the price per kWh goes down to $0.31. Also of note, with this update, Electrify America has removed its $1 charge per charging session.

In the other markets, Electrify America is obligated to keep a per-minute pricing model due to local regulations controlling the sale of electricity.

However, the charging network is also updating its per-minute pricing with now just two power levels for electric cars chariging up to 90 kW ($0.16 per minute without subscription and $0.12 per minute with subscription) and EVs charging up to 350 kW ($0.32 per minute without subscription and $0.24 per minute with subscription).

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Westy543 posted:

Electrify America is changing over to per kWh billing in states that support it:

Even if you exclude the $4.00 monthly fee, $0.43/kWh is outrageous.

For comparison, according to this article from January 2019, the national average at Tesla Superchargers is $0.28/kWh, with no monthly fee. And according to this article, the national average for residential electricity is $0.13/kWh.

I understand that electricity rate for charging stations is higher than residential use and that Electrify America needs margin to cover installation and maintenance, but a 230% increase over the national average home rate plus a monthly fee seems like price gouging to me.

Edit: Fix grammar.

MrPablo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 16, 2020

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

MrPablo posted:

Even if you exclude the $4.00 monthly fee, $0.43/kWh is outrageous.

For comparison, according to this article from January 2019 the national average at Tesla Superchargers is $0.28/kWh, with no monthly fee.

This article says the national average for home electricity is $0.13/kWh.

I understand that electricity rate for charging stations is higher than homes and that Electrify America needs margin to cover installation and maintenance, but a 230% increase over the national average home rate plus a monthly fee seems like price gouging to me.

To be fair if you pay the monthly fee it's not 43c/kwh, that's the no subscription option

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

This Reddit comment also had some good math:

jfaulc posted:

For those that are EA members:

• It's LESS expensive at 1<30 KW

• It's MORE expensive at 31>350 KW

This is because the per minute pricing is so low, that you end up paying more the faster you go (even if you're in the higher pricing tier). But if you have a slow charging EV, this pricing is more fair.

Example with Audi E-Tron for 15 minutes (assuming 140KW charging speed):

• Per KWh pricing: $0.31 x 35KWh = $10.85

• Per min pricing: $0.32 x 15mins = $4.80

Example with Chevy Bolt for 30 minutes (assuming 50KW charging speed):

• Per KWh pricing: $0.31 x 25KWh = $7.75

• Per min pricing: $0.16 x 30mins = $4.80

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

To be fair if you pay the monthly fee it's not 43c/kwh, that's the no subscription option

That's true, and a good point.

From my point of view that $4/mo seems kind of steep. For example, I only use Superchargers for long trips, and the rest of the time I charging at home or at the local level 2 chargers (for free). The last time I used a Supercharger was December 21st, 2019.

If I was subscribed to Electrify America's $4/month plan, then I would have paid $32 since December for zero electricity.

I suppose there are folks who travel farther distances than I do and use DC fast chargers frequently enough to justify the additional $4.00/month.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
To be brutally honest here, if $48/year is making a difference to you, you are not currently in the core EV ownership market.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MrPablo posted:

That's true, and a good point.

From my point of view that $4/mo seems kind of steep. For example, I only use Superchargers for long trips, and the rest of the time I charging at home or at the local level 2 chargers (for free). The last time I used a Supercharger was December 21st, 2019.

If I was subscribed to Electrify America's $4/month plan, then I would have paid $32 since December for zero electricity.

I suppose there are folks who travel farther distances than I do and use DC fast chargers frequently enough to justify the additional $4.00/month.

If you’re only charging once every 8 months then I can’t imagine the difference between the EA and Tesla charging rates is going to be more than a rounding error in your total vehicle expenses.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you’re only charging once every 8 months then I can’t imagine the difference between the EA and Tesla charging rates is going to be more than a rounding error in your total vehicle expenses.

This, if the 43c/kwh is making a big dent in your budget either you are charging multiple times a month in which case the $4/mo plan comes out ahead or

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

To be brutally honest here, if $48/year is making a difference to you, you are not currently in the core EV ownership market.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm not too worried about paying more for DC Fast Charging since it's so rare that I need to use it. That being said, they should probably have a larger discount for users who depend on DCFC. Those kind of heavy users either drive long distance a lot or don't have home/public charging options.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Assuming 320 Wh/mi, that's 13.76 cents per mile at $4/kWh. How does that compare to gas at current US prices? Assume the mileage of a nice modern car that someone who are EV buyers could buy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
A high side figure of $3/gallon and 25 mpg combined puts you at $0.12. A more realistic figure of $2.60 puts you at $0.104 per mile.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Assuming 320 Wh/mi, that's 13.76 cents per mile at $4/kWh. How does that compare to gas at current US prices? Assume the mileage of a nice modern car that someone who are EV buyers could buy.

Unless I did my napkin math wrong,
25mpg = 0.04 g/m
Say $3.00/g, so $1.20 for 0.04g, or $0.12/mile.

Edit - lol oops forgot a decimal point!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 16, 2020

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Over here in Atlanta, gas is $1.75/gal. A 31 MPG car would cost $.06 per mile.
A 320 Wh/mi EV charging at $.38 per kWh would cost $.12 per mile. So $.19 per kWh would match gasoline here.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Outside of manufactured shortages gas prices in the US are so low that buying an electric is rarely the better financial decision vs buying a used civic or corolla. Used Leafs selling for less than 10k is maybe the only case where that isn’t true. But if you’re buying a Tesla you absolutely aren’t doing it to save money.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Outside of manufactured shortages gas prices in the US are so low that buying an electric is rarely the better financial decision vs buying a used civic or corolla. Used Leafs selling for less than 10k is maybe the only case where that isn’t true. But if you’re buying a Tesla you absolutely aren’t doing it to save money.

This is true for now but it won't be long until EVs reach the same price point as their combustion equivalents with the way battery prices are dropping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah that didn't come out too well for the fast charging EVs. Doesn't matter much if you only do it now and then, but it looks like they're trying to get their charging hardware paid off early.