Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rando posted:

I didn't say anything about who was or wasn't the main character. I asked how the lab-grown flying laser man was relatable to anyone.

E: I guess GGGChris did say he was relatable, I misread his post. Yeah that's a bit weird.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Collateral posted:

What is Becca basing her assertion that Billy is a violent man on? The only history we have been given of him is as a pretty normal dude who goes off the rails (or rather is taken off the rails, turned into a bullet and fired at Homelander) after she is attacked and disappears. Otherwise they are normal happy people, just childless. Mallory and Butcher both agree that she turned him into what he is, something she regrets. Did Vought keep her updated on his fall? This history seems taken wholesale from the comics and grafted onto season 2, and ignores practically all the history we are given from season 1.

I could understand her rejecting him for his now supehating rageman persona to protect her son, but that he has always been like this? wtf

Also I am perhaps detecting that Stormfront may have some problematic beliefs but I think we should wait for more evidence that she is a bad person....

From the wiki article:

"Billy Butcher, the leader of the Boys and a former SAS operative who distrusts all individuals with superpowers."

Presumably his wife knows that he is ex-military and even in the flashbacks we've seen he's kind of a gruff guy, doesn't seem like it would be hard for Becca to assess that he's got some violent tendencies. He wasn't recruited by Mallory just because he had a grudge - he also has useful training, skills, and the sort of issues that would make go after supes even though doing so is basically a suicide mission.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Rando posted:

I didn't say anything about who was or wasn't the main character. I asked how the lab-grown flying laser man was relatable to anyone.

"Lab grown" = from a powerful family lineage with all the burden & expectation that it carries

"Flying" = so unfettered by the challenges facing the lower and middle class as to be unaware of them entirely. They're literally beneath him.

"Laser man" = (seemingly) unchecked power and influence

None of the viewers are a lab-grown flying laser man, but plenty of viewers will pick up on what he represents.

Consider how Superman, despite being an alien from a spaceship, is often considered representative of Christ, who was not an alien and did not come from a spaceship

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I mean, they were married. Usually you get to know your own husband without having to read their backstory.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Consider how Superman, despite being an alien from a spaceship, is often considered representative of Christ, who was not an alien and did not come from a spaceship

yeaaaah but superman was a baby when he landed, looks exactly like a human, and spends his whole life sacrificing for others.

Homelander is a maniac and shoudn't be relatable to anybody who isn't a sociopath :v:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Homelander is a maniac and shoudn't be relatable to anybody who isn't a sociopath :v:

Is Edgar a sociopath? The scene where he interacted with Homelander had me noticing that he wasn't scared at all, and was able to manipulate him, had me thinking that he might be one as well.

Not that it would be some giant revelation, just something I wondered about.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Is Edgar a sociopath? The scene where he interacted with Homelander had me noticing that he wasn't scared at all, and was able to manipulate him, had me thinking that he might be one as well.

:shrug: We're not psychiatrists and if we were we would know better than to try to diagnose a fictional character we aren't even treating directly.

But he definitely is some kind of hardcore. The idea from the comics is basically people may die, but Vought lives on (thought about spoilering this but... it isn't really a spoiler and I think someone said it earlier)

He's just the ultimate "ends-justify-the-means" chess player businessman. Equal parts Gendo Ikari and Lex Luthor. So.... yeah, pretty much. If he isn't an insane sociopath to match homelander then he has balls of steel at least.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Edgar reminds me a fair but of the Stillwell from the comics in which (if I remember right) he's not really afraid to die because he's aware that he's expendable and Homelander can't possibly destroy all of Vought despite his power

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, I get that we're not really psychologists here.

You guys seem to know a lot about the show, and the comic, so I though maybe there was some info that I just didn't know.

I've been watching this show casually and really want to see where it all goes.

I also kinda think that Edgar/Vaught inc have some kind of failsafe. I don't know exactly what form it could take, but they don't seem like the kind of people who would allow someone to be able to damage the company. Which could also explain Edgar's lack of fear.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Christ, who was not an alien and did not come from a spaceship

Since the story goes that a heavenly being appeared to Mary and said "hey, you're having a baby now" before returning to the sky, I think there's some room for debate there.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I don't want to cross death of the author too hard but Ennis definitely thinks our corporate overlords are self-centered psychopaths and that clearly was a factor in how he wrote Stillwell.

hard to say how it translates to the show - Homelander is way more powerful here, presumably, and definitely smarter than his comic counterpart. By the time you got to the end of the comic you knew he really was the (second) best, but before that exactly what the disparity between hero power levels was was left in the air. In the show, other supers are just as fragile as normal people to him, at least in his (and their) eyes.

Rockstar Massacre fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 15, 2020

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Deleted, wrong thread.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like how smart Homelander is in the show. It's honestly the scariest part about him.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've been realizing that Antony Starr (Homelander actor) is reminding me a lot of Betty Gilpin in GLOW. They sorta resemble each other at times, but mostly I mean they both are amazing at acting with their faces. They contort their expressions so wildly but without ever coming off as goofy or cartoonish, it's just super fun to watch them go.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

spacetoaster posted:

He's the CEO of a megacorp, of course he's a sociopath.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
im pretty sure Liberty just did an Austin Powers and was in cryo sleep for 45 years and she'll have struggle to adjust to modern day where racism no longer exists in american culture but people will eventually find her nazi habits endearing

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Swap Maeve and Homelander.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

LentThem posted:

modern day where racism no longer exists in american culture

:what:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
My favorite HL moment is still "I'll loving lazer everyone of of you!" from S1

Actually that's a huge plothole. Like how is no one texting "Homelander left us to die" on that plane

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 16, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LentThem posted:

im pretty sure Liberty just did an Austin Powers and was in cryo sleep for 45 years and she'll have struggle to adjust to modern day where racism no longer exists in american culture but people will eventually find her nazi habits endearing

Uh, hm. I think you're missing... a lot of things.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

From the wiki article:

"Billy Butcher, the leader of the Boys and a former SAS operative who distrusts all individuals with superpowers."

But of an (unintentional) gently caress-you to Ennis' military fetish there. I remember the line from Mallory in the comics (and I swear it's repeated verbatim in his Punisher) that SF is bad because it 'denudes units of their most motivated individuals'. Billy is just meant to be a very competent (and underestimated) soldier/rm pointed at the enemy and let loose.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Homelander is basically the protagonist of Season 2.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

Actually that's a huge plothole. Like how is no one texting "Homelander left us to die" on that plane

Cell service in the middle of the ocean?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

PostNouveau posted:

Planes have satellite internet access so you can do a Facebook live when you think you're about to die.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

PostNouveau posted:

Wifi on the plane lets you do that kind of thing through the plane radio, but HL did laser the poo poo out of the cockpit, so you can just say it got fried and didn't work anymore.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is he? By what metric?

Not to be argumentative but I haven't felt that way, personally.

we just talked about the Hero's Journey, c'mon

e: gently caress an alignment chart, who's the best himbo on the show? we got options, y'all.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Slight turbulence managed to nuke onboard wifi of the last flight I took so I'm not surprised that a laser to the cockpit might have been a problem.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I like how a woman can go on a brief rant about how her husband has always been hosed up and even if something horrific hadn't happened to her was, more likely than not, just going to wind up "beating someone to death in a parking lot" and people are still just like "but how does she know he's violent!?!?" Like, maybe it's just me reading too much into it but you don't get as easy with manipulation as Butcher is, or as comfortable with the super violence unless you've been at it long enough to get used to that poo poo. See also: Hughie and basically every other character except Kimiko still being viscerally freaked the gently caress out whenever something horrible happens, even MM and Frenchie who've been through similar things with Butcher before. But Butcher is real, real cool about hearing that a woman's head exploded until he needs to feign sympathy to get someone on his side. And he's good at pretending to be a better person than he is just long enough to get them to second guess their own thought and give him another chance.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Thundercracker posted:

Vought interfered with whatever was left/the authorities are keeping it quiet. Pick one or both.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Thundercracker posted:

You can excuse that with the fact that everyone is in a state of abject panic and can't even form an idea as coherent as "tell people The Seven left us to die". I mean, some even tried to follow Homelander and Maeve off the plane.

If we're talking plotholes, though, we need to mention how Starlight was able to leak Compound V to the press with only A-Train finding out. I honestly have to assume that Vaught knew but it's just more expedient to not have to deal with one of their stars being the source of a major controversy (for the second or third time).

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

MizPiz posted:

You can excuse that with the fact that everyone is in a state of abject panic and can't even form an idea as coherent as "tell people The Seven left us to die". I mean, some even tried to follow Homelander and Maeve off the plane.

If we're talking plotholes, though, we need to mention how Starlight was able to leak Compound V to the press with only A-Train finding out. I honestly have to assume that Vaught knew but it's just more expedient to not have to deal with one of their stars being the source of a major controversy (for the second or third time).

I mean, season 1 had HL and A-Train stealing and smuggling it all over the globe and Vought never caught on to them either so I think it's not exactly the tightest ship.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

spacetoaster posted:

Well, he's the CEO of a major corporation so, yeah probably a sociopath.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Avasculous posted:

I mean, season 1 had HL and A-Train stealing and smuggling it all over the globe and Vought never caught on to them either so I think it's not exactly the tightest ship.

Not to mention that Gecko, a test subject, can just make off with a sizeable vial of it. They're probably just leaving it all around the lab shooting it into whatever they want like the lab in Gremlins 2.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

Well, A-Train did catch Starlight with the vial, and then day(s) later suddenly it leaks on the news. It's pretty easy to connect the dots, or at least make the accusation and then see how Starlight reacts.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I like how a woman can go on a brief rant about how her husband has always been hosed up and even if something horrific hadn't happened to her was, more likely than not, just going to wind up "beating someone to death in a parking lot" and people are still just like "but how does she know he's violent!?!?" Like, maybe it's just me reading too much into it but you don't get as easy with manipulation as Butcher is, or as comfortable with the super violence unless you've been at it long enough to get used to that poo poo. See also: Hughie and basically every other character except Kimiko still being viscerally freaked the gently caress out whenever something horrible happens, even MM and Frenchie who've been through similar things with Butcher before. But Butcher is real, real cool about hearing that a woman's head exploded until he needs to feign sympathy to get someone on his side. And he's good at pretending to be a better person than he is just long enough to get them to second guess their own thought and give him another chance.

No, it's that there was zero build up to it. We are shown that he has become like this after she disappeared. Told even. A flashback to him battering someone who gave her lip would have been enough. Everything we are shown up until that point says something different.

It's just dropped fait acompli when he threatens her son, which should be enough by itself for her to recoil in horror and tell him to gently caress off with that poo poo.

Perhaps she ran away because of his dislike of the spice girls. :iiam:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Avasculous posted:

I guess it depends on how exactly they stole the Compound V. It could easily be a situation where Edgar and/or whoever else found out what the supes were up to but decided it was easier (and safer) to figure out the necessary damage control rather than stop them. Then again, I probably just need to rewatch the first season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Took me too long to realize this: It's very short-sighted of Homelander to piss off the one person who knows the full extent of his Compound V plan.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can only assume Edger or someone else has some kind of kill switch for Homelander in case he went off his nut and started just murdering everyone. Homelander knows that Voight is the one who pays his bills, covers his murders and makes him the icon that he so desires to be, but he's also very clearly putting a lot of effort into not just murdering everyone over his ego and his privileged.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
As we see in the show Homelander tends to think of himself as untouchable and above everyone and everything, the only thing really keeping in line is he wants to be adored and loved. If he suddenly cared that no long mattered poo poo goes sideways quick enough.

Also doesn't hurt he burnt out the loving skull of the last powerful person in the company that he felt betrayed him, after that he probably thinks no one in the company can really stop him from doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
With last episodes ending I think we can safely assume all bets are off when it comes to him needing anyone's love, support, or even general liking.