Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm going to start here but please feel free to direct me to somewhere better suited to this discussion.

I need some form of baby monitor system. After having done a fair bit of research, I'm leaning towards going with Google Nest cams, in no small part because they'll transition to a general house monitoring system afterwards.

My hangup is that I'm staunchly opposed to the Echo and that entire suite of devices. I don't want one of these sitting around recording everything in my house. (Let's avoid the topic of cell phones for now.) Is the Nest cam just another of the same thing, or is it considerably less invasive than the "home assistant" suite of devices?
Google's "Home" series of smart assistant devices were folded in to the Nest brand in their last refresh. It's the same thing with a different megacorp behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

wolrah posted:

Google's "Home" series of smart assistant devices were folded in to the Nest brand in their last refresh. It's the same thing with a different megacorp behind it.

Does that mean the Nest cam (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0177FO9X4?tag=fatherly-update-baby-monitors-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1) is going to spy on me the same way an Echo would?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Roughly, yes. Arguably more so because the Nest sends all of its video to the cloud and (in theory) the Echo only sends the commands that are directed at it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm looking for a CCTV system but have no experience in the area so I don't know how realistic my goals are. I've presently got two Yi cameras since they were cheap and I'm not too pleased with them. What I'm looking for:
  • Outdoor cameras with IR LEDs for the dark
  • Some capability for storage - I'd prefer the ability to store it on my NAS but cloud would be okay if it's not too expensive
  • The ability to have an application that shows me the feed from several cameras and which stays on - this is one of the areas Yi cameras let me down, they disconnect after 30 minutes
  • The ability to view cameras on mobile
  • Wifi based since I don't want to have to run ethernet to them
  • Available in the UK
  • Not outrageously expensive, I could manage up to £150 each, I see Axis are like £300 - I'll want 3-4 I guess
I honestly don't know where I'd start with this, but I'd assumed that a lot of the popular smart home ones might let me down in terms of having the screen showing several feeds. What should I be looking at for this?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Roughly, yes. Arguably more so because the Nest sends all of its video to the cloud and (in theory) the Echo only sends the commands that are directed at it.

drat.

Any recommendations for something similar to the Nest cams that's less 'corporate surveillance state'y?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drat.

Any recommendations for something similar to the Nest cams that's less 'corporate surveillance state'y?

Not really. If you aren’t running your own NVR then the feed is going to your service provider. Apple might do something with crypto when they roll out HomeLink cameras?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Not really. If you aren’t running your own NVR then the feed is going to your service provider. Apple might do something with crypto when they roll out HomeLink cameras?

I debated going with a camera system that doesn't use wifi in order to keep the video private, but being able to check from my phone is too valuable to pass up. I'm also not quite so hardcore as to feel the need to set up an NVR. I'm sure there's plenty of other security holes in my general network configuration that going through all that would be pointless anyways. I mostly just want to avoid handing AV recordings of my life directly to Amazon on a silver platter. (https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/30/amazon-police-data-demands/)

Basically, I don't care if my ISP is receiving my video feed, but I don't want Amazon (or whomever) storing all the audio/video from the cams.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Basically, I don't care if my ISP is receiving my video feed, but I don't want Amazon (or whomever) storing all the audio/video from the cams.

Sorry, by “service provider” I didn’t mean your ISP, I meant whoever is running the NVR servers for you.

I installed a Ring doorbell just before the Ring-loves-cops stuff broke, and replacing it is on my list. I do have an Echo, though, so my position may not be entirely consistent.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

I debated going with a camera system that doesn't use wifi in order to keep the video private, but being able to check from my phone is too valuable to pass up.
Those two goals are not mutually exclusive. Have you heard of Blue Iris?

I've got eight BI servers in my phone's app right here.

I assume you didn't mean, "I want an NVR without any Internet connection" based on your other posts.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There exists at least one brand of "offline" smart home products

My big concern with them, is that they'll almost certainly go out of business in the next 2 years, leaving you with a thousand dollars worth of bricks wired into your house. PC world and others have written obituaries about whole home automation ecosystems that have lived and died, leaving owners holding the bag

It's always possible that Google/Amazon stuff will suddenly be EOL'd, but home automation is so central to their long term strategy, it seems unlikely that they will kick consumers in the balls in the next year or two

Facebook is getting into the market too, but uh, that's not a product I need to get more intertwined with my IRL life than it already is

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Late to the light talk a page ago but, hue lights are zigbee and work with other zigbee hubs and my now unsupported nanoleaf zigbee bulbs work with the hue bulb!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I've just been gifted a Google Nest Hub, and along with a gift card for a local gadgets shop it has made me think that I'd like an exterior camera so I can see who is coming to my door.

Are there any suggestions, or a site that talks about what would work, so I can avoid anything that requires monthly subscriptions to work or saves my video in the cloud (I have terrible upstream speed, and that would kill my connection) ?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gromit posted:

I've just been gifted a Google Nest Hub, and along with a gift card for a local gadgets shop it has made me think that I'd like an exterior camera so I can see who is coming to my door.

Are there any suggestions, or a site that talks about what would work, so I can avoid anything that requires monthly subscriptions to work or saves my video in the cloud (I have terrible upstream speed, and that would kill my connection) ?

I don't know that anything works with the Nest Hub except Nest cams but I could be wrong.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

I don't know that anything works with the Nest Hub except Nest cams but I could be wrong.

Google's website says this:

quote:

You can stream video from the following security cameras to your Nest display.

Arlo
atomi smart
Geeni
homee Smart Home
mydlink Smart
ioe smart
iView iHome
KAFO Smart
Logi Circle
MCL DOMO
Momentum Smart Home
Nest
Netatmo
Panasonic HomeHawk
Q-See Plus
Smart K
SpotCam
Swann Smart Security Camera
TP-Link Kasa
Tuya Smart, Smart Life
Wyze Cam
Zmodo

I was hoping someone could save me researching each of those and comparing them, but that's my fallback position.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've heard of the 'smart home graveyard' phenomenon. Luckily I don't plan on buying that much hardware that I'm too worried about it; really just two to three cameras.

I'll re-state my ideal features here:
-Multiple cameras with night vision
-Camera feeds can be accessed via an app on my phone
-App preferably has some basic motion/audio alert capabilities
-I don't need to be able to access the cameras when I'm not on my home wi-fi
-Cameras aren't constantly saving all audio and video and sending it to corporate overlords

It looks like Blue Iris in conjunction with some IR-equipped cams would probably accomplish this? I'll go that route if it's my best choice, but I'll be honest, I wasn't looking for quite that much of a project

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
BlueIris is great, but there's no app. I run it at my shop and it's relatively reliable. I check it once a week or so and occasionally a camera has gone offline. It doesn't alert you when this happens. There's also big problems with windows updates loving with the video drivers which cause massive CPU consumption. It's still better than ZoneMinder or other options. If you want to roll your own but want an appliance with apps, you could go Synology and their surveillance station. You gotta buy the NAS, drives, and licenses per camera, but it's an option.

Dahua cameras are the way to go. I bought mine from Andy on IPCamTalk (he also sells on eBay). I'd suggest you read on IPCamTalk about how to setup the system you want

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

BlueIris is great, but there's no app.

There is (at least for Android). It's kinda janky, but it works.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

How do you guys feel about these Wyze cameras? They're a third of the price of Nest cams, seem like they could be set up to use Blue Iris if I wanted to go that route, and aren't by Google/FB/etc. so they're less likely to be spying on me(???)

https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-1080p-I...ps%2C173&sr=8-4

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hadlock posted:

There exists at least one brand of "offline" smart home products

My big concern with them, is that they'll almost certainly go out of business in the next 2 years, leaving you with a thousand dollars worth of bricks wired into your house. PC world and others have written obituaries about whole home automation ecosystems that have lived and died, leaving owners holding the bag
Just make sure that where it's practical for hardware to support standards, that it does. In the case of a video surveillance system as long as you can get a standard RTSP stream from the camera then you're fine, worst case scenario they stop updating the DVR software and eventually it gets too outdated to be comfortable running it, so you replace it with Blue Iris, Motion, ZoneMinder, or whatever else.

quote:

It's always possible that Google/Amazon stuff will suddenly be EOL'd, but home automation is so central to their long term strategy, it seems unlikely that they will kick consumers in the balls in the next year or two
Google/Nest has already end-of-lifed:

- Dropcam and Dropcam Echo cameras
- Revolv smart hub
- Works With Nest API

Of those three, only the Dropcams were offered suitable replacements (free upgrade to Dropcam HD). Revolv users were simply left in the cold and the Works With Nest API has only partially been replaced by enhancements to the Google Assistant API.

Any assumption that Google will continue to support a product any longer than they remain interested in it should be killed by a simple glance over here: https://killedbygoogle.com/

Do not buy any products that depend on a cloud service to operate unless you accept that the product's usefulness will be greatly diminished or eliminated if that service is unavailable for whatever reason. Personally I think any security platform that depends on the internet for recording is insane because internet service is generally the least reliable and easiest to disrupt utility.

I'll re-state my ideal features here:
-Multiple cameras with night vision
-Camera feeds can be accessed via an app on my phone
-App preferably has some basic motion/audio alert capabilities
-I don't need to be able to access the cameras when I'm not on my home wi-fi
-Cameras aren't constantly saving all audio and video and sending it to corporate overlords
UniFi Protect also fits these criteria.

-Every single one of their current cameras has infrared capability and built-in LEDs
-They have a nice app for both major mobile platforms
-Not only does the app have motion alerting, but it can use geolocation in the app to automatically suppress alerts when an approved user is within the defined area.
-It does support remote access if you want to enable it, either directly via a VPN or port forwarding or indirectly via the UniFi cloud service, but both are disabled by default.
-All recording is done locally, video is only ever sent over the internet or through their cloud if the user requests it.

It's technically a proprietary system, and they've made it more proprietary since the change from UniFi Video to UniFi Protect by removing the ability to run it on your own hardware, but their NVR products are reasonably priced and the cameras themselves can be run as standards-compliant standalone devices if you ever decide you want to change.

edit:

How do you guys feel about these Wyze cameras? They're a third of the price of Nest cams, seem like they could be set up to use Blue Iris if I wanted to go that route, and aren't by Google/FB/etc. so they're less likely to be spying on me(???)
I have the Chinese OEM version of that same camera, the Dafang, and as long as you run one of the third party firmwares they're fine. I don't think I'd trust any of the stock firmwares, even the Wyze variant.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

wolrah posted:

UniFi Protect also fits these criteria.

-Every single one of their current cameras has infrared capability and built-in LEDs
-They have a nice app for both major mobile platforms
-Not only does the app have motion alerting, but it can use geolocation in the app to automatically suppress alerts when an approved user is within the defined area.
-It does support remote access if you want to enable it, either directly via a VPN or port forwarding or indirectly via the UniFi cloud service, but both are disabled by default.
-All recording is done locally, video is only ever sent over the internet or through their cloud if the user requests it.

It's technically a proprietary system, and they've made it more proprietary since the change from UniFi Video to UniFi Protect by removing the ability to run it on your own hardware, but their NVR products are reasonably priced and the cameras themselves can be run as standards-compliant standalone devices if you ever decide you want to change.

edit:

I have the Chinese OEM version of that same camera, the Dafang, and as long as you run one of the third party firmwares they're fine. I don't think I'd trust any of the stock firmwares, even the Wyze variant.
UniFi sounds excellent but those prices put me off. $230 for a three-pack of their cheapest indoor camera is about on par with the Nest (although more than twice as expensive as Wyze), which I can live with, but needing to buy another $200 or $300 NVR is rough. At $450 I'd rather just buy a "baby monitor" kit.

If I used the Wyze (or Nest), could I just disable WAN connectivity at a device level in my Router? I know that would prevent me from viewing the video stream when I'm not on my wifi, but that's fine.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Motronic posted:

There is (at least for Android). It's kinda janky, but it works.

There’s an iOS app too. Just as janky, but functional.

ickna
May 19, 2004

sharkytm posted:

If you want to roll your own but want an appliance with apps, you could go Synology and their surveillance station. You gotta buy the NAS, drives, and licenses per camera, but it's an option.

This is what I have. Also worth noting that it comes with licenses for two cameras out of the box.

The IOS app is good, and the synology can also host a VPN server so you can securely view your cameras away from home, no cloud needed.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Frank Dillinger posted:

There’s an iOS app too. Just as janky, but functional.

Ditto. Apps have been around for years

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

sharkytm posted:

BlueIris is great, but there's no app. I run it at my shop and it's relatively reliable. I check it once a week or so and occasionally a camera has gone offline. It doesn't alert you when this happens. There's also big problems with windows updates loving with the video drivers which cause massive CPU consumption.
As said, app exists.

It will absolutely tell you if a can goes offline. Yours I st set to do so.

Drivers are a non-issue if you have an NVR with an Intel CPU with QuickSync (re: basically Sandy Bridge or newer, non-Xeon). Hardware transcoding.

Nvidia/AMD cards have no place in a BI box.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gromit posted:

Google's website says this:

I was hoping someone could save me researching each of those and comparing them, but that's my fallback position.

If you find a cheap one that you like, let us know, my wife recently bought a smart baby cam, but it's only compatible with alexa, not Google home. Probably going to end up with a nest cam of some sort so we can monitor the nursery cam from the nest hub in the kitchen. Nest cams seem ludicrously expensive for what they do, besides (probably) having better long term software support

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Tapedump posted:

As said, app exists.

It will absolutely tell you if a can goes offline. Yours I st set to do so.

Drivers are a non-issue if you have an NVR with an Intel CPU with QuickSync (re: basically Sandy Bridge or newer, non-Xeon). Hardware transcoding.

Nvidia/AMD cards have no place in a BI box.
Explain this then:
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/cpu-running-at-100.48987/
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/blue-iris-and-cpu-consumption-as-it-relates-to-memory-usage.5953/
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/cpu-maxing-out-help-diagnosing.50813/
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/blue-iris-suddenly-a-memory-hog-and-at-100-cpu-usage.24009/
And countless other threads with the same problems.
Even with driver updates disabled, Win10 pushed them through, and fucks with the CPU usage. I'm well aware of using QuickSync. I'm running an i5-4xxx with 6 streams, and average 35% CPU usage.

The app setup that I saw requires either a VPN or port forwarding, and had some real problems/bugs over the years. If you're on the same WiFi network, then it's fine, but pushing it out across the net seemed like a bad time. I haven't tried in several years. Maybe I'll give it a shot, I think I still own the Android app unless they changed the ID.

And there's a known bug in BI where certain camera dropouts don't even get flagged. There are also issues where BI just freezes and won't open/record, especially when running as a service. It's not the camera or cameras, it's in BI. I've chatted with their tech support, and they've admitted it's a problem that they can't replicate to fix. :shrugs: I've got overlapping cameras for the areas I care about. I mean, for the money, BI is amazing. It's not something I'd trust for 24/7/365 critical monitoring. I'm fine with a little janitoring, but it's not a polished product. Synology's system is more polished, but $$$ and the per-camera license annoys me.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 11, 2020

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

UniFi sounds excellent but those prices put me off. $230 for a three-pack of their cheapest indoor camera is about on par with the Nest (although more than twice as expensive as Wyze), which I can live with, but needing to buy another $200 or $300 NVR is rough. At $450 I'd rather just buy a "baby monitor" kit.

If I used the Wyze (or Nest), could I just disable WAN connectivity at a device level in my Router? I know that would prevent me from viewing the video stream when I'm not on my wifi, but that's fine.

As a smart home junkie and the dad of two kids, I just have to ask. Do you think you might be over thinking this as opposed to just getting good quality baby monitors?

Going through all the "baby" smart tech over the last four years, honestly the two universes just don't go together.

Unless you have specific reasons why you need all this extra connectivity for remote viewing, then just get something that works well and has actually good features specific to baby monitoring.

Then if you want home monitoring cameras in the future, get the tech that works well for that when the time comes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

If you don't want the video going to a cloud service, you're either going to need a dedicated NVR device or to leave a PC on 24/7 running something like Blue Iris. If you already have a PC running 24/7 or a NAS that can do the job then cool, but if not you might have a hard time significantly beating the appliance prices.

Recordings have to go somewhere, unless all you want is to be able to pull up a real-time feed while at home.

If that's all you want, then yea just get the Wyze cam and block it from the internet.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Cross-Post from the Wiring Thread:

quote:

Here's a thing I thought people in this thread might like:

Home Server Room Power Upgrade + Multi-Room UPS

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nice, you can’t go wrong with a gently caress Desk.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
We bought a cheap Chinese cam, I blocked it at the router from ever talking to the world, then we just used an RTSP app on our phones and an old tablet to watch.

Does it travel? No. But we could use any device to check in and it worked anywhere I had WiFi around the house.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hubis posted:

Cross-Post from the Wiring Thread:

Weird name for a porn video firehose station, but I guess not surprising coming from the NAS thread, really

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

As a smart home junkie and the dad of two kids, I just have to ask. Do you think you might be over thinking this as opposed to just getting good quality baby monitors?

Going through all the "baby" smart tech over the last four years, honestly the two universes just don't go together.

Unless you have specific reasons why you need all this extra connectivity for remote viewing, then just get something that works well and has actually good features specific to baby monitoring.

Then if you want home monitoring cameras in the future, get the tech that works well for that when the time comes.
None of us would be in this thread if we weren't inclined to overthinking things, right?

I initially had no intention of going the webcam route, and was just going to buy a pre-packaged baby monitor. The Nest Cam kept coming up in reviews and I didn't think much of it, but when I was finding there weren't many cams that satisfied our very basic needs for under $300 I started to wonder if just using generic home cams wouldn't be a better choice overall.

I think I'm just going to go the Wyze Pan route. $100 for three cameras, and I can block them at the router if I need them. I appreciate everyone's help, thanks so much.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Just installed an Abode smart alarm system - it was just released in the UK this month after having been out in America for years.

I'm really quite pleased with it - has a lot more feature and options than the Ring alarm I replaced, and some things that other smart alarms don't offer.

Optional external siren - nice and loud to piss off the neighbours - its traditional in the UK !

The ability to use the alarm triggered state with home automation (Ring don't allow this). You can detect this and act on it based on either IFTTT or the native CUE automation - I do both.

When the alarm goes off the sirens all go off expected but I also have IFTTT turn on all every light in the house, and the CUE native automation uses it's Sonos integration to blast out a very angry dog noise from the Sonos speakers

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I installed a Ring doorbell just before the Ring-loves-cops stuff broke, and replacing it is on my list. I do have an Echo, though, so my position may not be entirely consistent.
jeeezus dude.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Rather than get some overpriced wake up alarm just bought a raspberry pi so I can program all the lights in my house. I’ll probably upgrade to sensors and cameras as well but using the lights as an alarm clock will be essentially the first thing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TP-Link has a sale on single pole smart switches, only $33 for a 3 pack so $11 each, lowest price ever. Up to two orders.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HGW8N7R/

I think it's a targeted offer for Prime members only, you should see a $15 coupon to "clip"

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If I want to be able to control Harmony activities via Shortcuts on iOS, it seems my only option is Yonami, a third party app that could maybe steal my data, or installing something like Homebridge. Is that right?

(I realize all my data is probably being stolen anyway since I use Harmony, Hue, etc)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So I've been thinking about dicking around with Home Assistant given I have all the time in the world now with no end in sight. I've also kept meaning to put a Pi-Hole in, Pi-Hole is probably a bigger priority.

Are there any issues with running them on the same Pi? I was thinking a Pi 4 2 gig. It looks like the overhead requirements of both are fairly minimal and Pi-Hole runs just fine on older devices. I also have a lot of smart home devices and symmetrical gigabit fiber, I don't know what the overhead of the Pi-Hole software is but it seems conceivable that it could be overloaded with a barrage of DNSs resolving very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Three Olives posted:

So I've been thinking about dicking around with Home Assistant given I have all the time in the world now with no end in sight. I've also kept meaning to put a Pi-Hole in, Pi-Hole is probably a bigger priority.

Are there any issues with running them on the same Pi? I was thinking a Pi 4 2 gig. It looks like the overhead requirements of both are fairly minimal and Pi-Hole runs just fine on older devices. I also have a lot of smart home devices and symmetrical gigabit fiber, I don't know what the overhead of the Pi-Hole software is but it seems conceivable that it could be overloaded with a barrage of DNSs resolving very quickly.

I’m brand new to this and just borked my setup again today so probably don’t trust me on this but I’m pretty sure from my understanding home assistant is effectively the operating system of the pi, it’s not just a program that runs on it.

I’m not sure about what a pi hole is except in theory but I imagine it’s similar in that you need a dedicated pi for just that task as well.