Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

There should be a EU4-peace-treaty-style window where you can divvy up your titles and all your children can give you a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Any particularly interesting 867 Muslim / Clan starts?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

What's the best way to spark a civil war in a neighboring country? Send gold to unhappy vassels? Perform tribal raids? Randomly assassinate people to cause multiple succession crises?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Is there any way to adjust notification settings? When I mass ransom 20 idiots I don't want to click through their hollow empty threats. I guess if I mass execute they won't give me a pop-up...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenik posted:

What's the best way to spark a civil war in a neighboring country? Send gold to unhappy vassels? Perform tribal raids? Randomly assassinate people to cause multiple succession crises?

Assassinating the leader usually works. Especially if they have a bunch of kids so partition will divide up their territory and mean their successor is in a much weaker position and also has a bunch of siblings with competing claims on the top tier title.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Ok, I tore up Sweden after reloading to not gently caress my inheritance. Now long term goal is to be able to grind up enough to reform the Norse faith. What are some good options for tenets/doctrines that aren't the presets?

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Tenik posted:

if you can beat their army at their weakest, go to war with them and chase down their armies until everyone else sees an opportunity. a potential lost conflict over a county claim isn't usually a big deal unless you take big losses. otherwise:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Assassinating the leader usually works. Especially if they have a bunch of kids so partition will divide up their territory and mean their successor is in a much weaker position and also has a bunch of siblings with competing claims on the top tier title.
do this and then pick a fight

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Somehow my top realm (Bohemia) changed from House Seniority to Male-Preference Partition while I wasn't looking. I'm the King of Bohemia. What on Earth could cause this?

It's because I got a King who is culturally Hungarian and nobody remembered how to do the Bavarian crown law???!!!

*edit: meant Bahamian

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 16, 2020

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
As the Irish I discovered Royal Prerogative and want to enact High Crown Authority but I don't see it as an available Law for the Kingdom of Ireland. Where is that or is it not available? The Issues thing suggested it because I'm going to lose land when a vassal dies.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

KingKapalone posted:

As the Irish I discovered Royal Prerogative and want to enact High Crown Authority but I don't see it as an available Law for the Kingdom of Ireland. Where is that or is it not available? The Issues thing suggested it because I'm going to lose land when a vassal dies.

Crown Authority is in the realm menu (the green crown on the right toolbar) and you should see the 1-4 authority options at the top

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Well dammit now I have to wait 20 years until I can pick the next one. She's 45 now so lets hope she makes it.

Also, I took one of the Mann counties and then wanted another one in that Duchy which is part of Alba. I declared war on the Duke and then the Alba army shows up. I don't feel like anything told me that would happen. The Duke's army was inferior so I thought it wouldn't be a problem.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mann is a one-county duchy

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jay Rust posted:

Any particularly interesting 867 Muslim / Clan starts?

if you mean tribal, daurama daura down in eastern central africa has a special event, an achievement, and a "here's someone you might want to try" thing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pagan/Tribal is pretty different from Muslim/Clan tbh

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No, Clan is another government type, seems tied to the Muslim faith, but having tried it out a bit it’s basically Feudal. One difference is that your powerful vassals expect an alliance with you, and you get -20 opinion if you don’t have one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm this line of questioning did have me thinking... if Clan ruler taxes/levies are based on vassal opinion, maybe there's some way I can shadow broker my way into collapsing one of the Islamic empires by undermining their vassals...

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm this line of questioning did have me thinking... if Clan ruler taxes/levies are based on vassal opinion, maybe there's some way I can shadow broker my way into collapsing one of the Islamic empires by undermining their vassals...
if you can raid it's easy, because you can just capture and force-convert important vassals.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

clan is worse feudal with fluctuating contracts based on how much they like you instead of the actual contract and so your power drastically changes depending on how good your guy is also you cant get pope money

megane
Jun 20, 2008

AI clans are nonsensically stable anyway, of course.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

megane posted:

AI clans are nonsensically stable anyway, of course.

I believe this is because clans also keep the conquest casus belli from tribal, which feudal loses (unless they follow warmonger/pursuit of power religions). So clan govermnents can easily keep expanding, which may help them with inheritance issues.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arglebargle III posted:

*edit: meant Bahamian

Taino invasion when?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Don't ignore your children!

https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1305943212117430278?s=21

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

Mann is a one-county duchy

yea, but it's a norse duchy so they probably own half of africa and tibet.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

I'm assuming the screen was grabbed later, because if that was the author's real first encounter with their son, it should have been more of a shock to them that he's dead than he's evil.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Someone should really tell my daughter in law that trying to seduce her husband's dad the day after their wedding is a bad look

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Magil Zeal posted:

I believe this is because clans also keep the conquest casus belli from tribal, which feudal loses (unless they follow warmonger/pursuit of power religions). So clan govermnents can easily keep expanding, which may help them with inheritance issues.

Yeah, having the conquest CB is kind of crazy good at snowballing. The bigger you are, the most you win, the more prestige you have to spend on even more conquests.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Someone should really tell my daughter in law that trying to seduce her husband's dad the day after their wedding is a bad look

This is the plotline of like 5 different critically-acclaimed European art films

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Are there any mods that adjust the visualization? It's really hard to tell which place my armies are in and which subset of that shape I need to be siegeing or if I am in fact siegeing anything at all. The whole UI in general is a huge step down from CKII, not just because I am used to CKII (though there is that) but because you can't easily click through. I've been called to a war. Where the gently caress is it? I'll click on it but it doesn't take me there it gives me a bunch of other useless poo poo. I inherited a county, who used to rule it, what happened there? This is especially important for stories. No easy way to see that.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The worst is trying to click on your capital barony, which is a tiny little patch of land 90% of which is covered by your giant-rear end realm coat of arms. No, clicking on the coat of arms doesn't count.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

megane posted:

The worst is trying to click on your capital barony, which is a tiny little patch of land 90% of which is covered by your giant-rear end realm coat of arms. No, clicking on the coat of arms doesn't count.

For that it's probably better to use the outliner.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Ugh. Just lost England because my cousin has always hated my dad and me because her dad, the rightful heir, Leroy Jenkins’d himself into a pointless war and got got. I brought her in and tutored her afterwards and all that did was turn her into a world class spymaster who led a very very very successful rebellion against me.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

if your child has better stats & prowess than half your court, you are obligated to dress them up like this

i'm sorry, i don't make the law

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Trevor Hale posted:

Ugh. Just lost England because my cousin has always hated my dad and me because her dad, the rightful heir, Leroy Jenkins’d himself into a pointless war and got got. I brought her in and tutored her afterwards and all that did was turn her into a world class spymaster who led a very very very successful rebellion against me.

pedagogy in the learning tree or befriend in the diplomacy tree are top tier first picks for any ruler. solves a lot of problems down the road.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

And if you ever plan to go on more than one war in your rulers life Bellum Justum in military is amazing.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

upgunned shitpost posted:

pedagogy in the learning tree or befriend in the diplomacy tree are top tier first picks for any ruler. solves a lot of problems down the road.

The son that lived wound up having a 1 diplomacy. I must’ve zoned the gently caress out when that boy was growing up because not a single loving person liked this guy despite the fact that he was a mo eh making machine. They also gave him like a really friendly animation too so here’s this perfectly normal looking dude that shits gold but day 1 on the job and everyone wants him dead

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

children are useless until they become your character, I meant befriend your spymaster cuz they have value.

you can also gently caress your spymaster, but that's a bit of mixed bag when it comes to results.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

This is my first Paradox game and I took the plunge partly because I've just finished reading a book about the Crusades and partly because skimming this thread I learned it has good in-game help, plus I've always appreciated reading weird and hilarious anecdotes about CK2. But now that I've done the tutorial (up until the guide disappears) and spent a bit of time playing I have one question : what am I supposed to actually do?

Is there a victory condition like conquering the world? Or is this game just a medieval life simulator? That's fine if it is, I'm just not sure if I'm supposed to be working towards some specific goal.

I want to try being a nice king who uses diplomacy to do stuff so I searched the world map a bit and found Brittany, and I've done a couple of sway schemes against my neighbours (who belong to France) but how do I get from 'he likes me' to 'he gave me his land?' Do I need to marry my people into his line of succession and wait for him to die or something?

I also gathered from skimming this thread that Ambitious characters like plotting against you, and my spymaster is Ambitious so I decided I would try to remove him slowly by taking his counties like I learned in the tutorial. I got my bishop (who is somehow an athiest) to fabricate a claim on one of his counties and it worked but now I'm not sure how to actually take it without going to war (again like in the tutorial). Is there a peaceful way to claim land in this game or does it always involve war of some kind?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
The HRE finally shattering after 200 years, combined with I assume some weird inheritance chains, resulted in this single Duke having three different duchy titles controlling counties spread all across Europe in what must be the most dispersed holdings of a single ruler I've seen so far. NSFL if you hate bordergore:

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
@Kalko:

Victory conditions

No victory conditions except self-imposed ones. You may consider looking at the achievements for inspiration, some of them may be interesting. You may also find it interesting to play as a religion with unusual tenets, or perhaps challenge in playing a small religion, like the one Taoist ruler on the map in 8xx. Similarly, the Daura leader in 8xx has an event which allows her to switch to female-preference inheritance, which is also unusual. Perhaps you'd be interested in playing a culture/region you have an emotional connection to, if any. You may also find it engaging to paint the map. Vikings in the 8xx start have an easy time with that, since they don´t get opinion penalties for being at war. Perhaps try to go medieval eugenics and breed up a family of beautiful, herculean genius albinos.

Some of these goals you can try for at the same time. For example, painting the map and granting holdings to your family also helps build renown which gives you legacies to further boost your family. Don't feel like you have to play a game until 1451. If you've done what you want with a run, you can start a new game or switch to some other character that seems interesting.

Peaceful ways to gain land

Yes, but's it's usually unreliable or uncommon. There are three main ways:

1) Independents swear fealty: You may be able to convince an independent ruler to swear fealty to you. They'll still own the land in question, but will now answer to you as their liege. This requires you to have a higher rank, and is far easier if they a) are part of your de jure holdings (fx the ERE has claim to most of the Balkans south of the Danube) b) the ruler likes you c) you share religion and/or culture with their ruler d) you go down the diplomacy lifestyle and get the appropriate pick from the central tree (the one which can get you August) e) you have a far stronger military.

2) Inheritance, by luck, murder or suicide missions: It's also possible to be in line for land, and you might chance into someone dying and leaving you their stuff. If you want something that'a more reliable and/or involves you more, you can set out to murder someone and/or their heirs; but that's peaceful only in the sense that it doesn't take a war to do. If you want to have someone killed, high intrigue and/or hooks on people you can convince to be your agents will help.

Even less peaceful is the Uriah gambit: if the person you want dead is part of your realm and an adult of the appropriate gender, you might force them to be a knight and send them off in a war hoping they'll die. That's easier to do if you split off a small stack of troops and send them against a superior enemy.

3) New holdings: Finally, if you have the money you can build new holdings on empty land, the base cost is 600 gold per holding. This can make sense to do in your capital county, since all of your new holdings will benefit from Development there, and can also give bonuses to Development growth with the right buildings.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Some of the neat-sounding decisions listed here also make for some good goals to pick and work towards.