Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

The Oldest House has no windows. If you notice a window within your workspace please activate the containment alarm and calmly make your way to the nearest shelter :allears:

That memo is hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvE8Miutqqs
"Immediately close your eyes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

There are so many things to read and they're all pretty cool. And all the hotline videos too are extremely my poo poo.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Biplane posted:

Control is like 60% off on the xbox store, so I got it. One thing I noticed right away were all the office posters around the place, in particular one that says something like "time lost in unexpected building shifts does NOT count as overtime" even in a hidden paranormal government facility the Man is keeping the working joe down.

There's also a memo saying that your timesheets must reflect actual time that passes in the Bureau and that time in the astral plane does not count towards overtime.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Also spoiled because I thought it was cool to discover it on my own the pictures of the director hanging all over the place changed to a picture of Jesse :monocle:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Biplane posted:

There are so many things to read and they're all pretty cool. And all the hotline videos too are extremely my poo poo.

Major nostalgia hit with the Alan Wake calls

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Biplane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaaBbHVMsrY

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Not in a game per se, but I appreciate that Nintendo changed the loading symbol in the eShop to be Mario 64 Mario running.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

All the memos are extremely worth reading and I felt really bad watching my ADHD-diagnosed friend play through the game while ignoring every single one of them

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I feel like very few Fortnite players are going to get this.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Face it, the world has changed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Necrothatcher posted:

I feel like very few Fortnite players are going to get this.

I don't get this

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Len posted:

I don't get this

It's what penises used to look like in the eighties.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

I don't get this

Facing Worlds, a famous CTF map from Unreal Tournament. Two towers, a big ol' linear wasteland in the middle with no cover, and a lot of sniper weapons.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my favorite little thing about that map was when I first saw the Redeemer strat for capturing flags: go grab the enemy flag, stand facing your tower with your back to the wall, and fire the Redeemer (basically a remote-controlled nuke) at the wall. The blast would kill you, of course, but it'd also toss the flag towards your tower, so one of your buddies can grab it and score.

TooMuchAbstraction has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Sep 16, 2020

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Facing Worlds, a famous CTF map from Unreal Tournament. Two towers, a big ol' linear wasteland in the middle with no cover, and a lot of sniper weapons.

Basically, it was Fortnite when it was still fun.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We used to do instagib ctf on facing worlds, all us on one team against like 15 max level bots. The only possible way to win was to launch each other with instagib shots that didn't have friendly fire but shot you a mile away.

Getting back was the hard part.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Len posted:

I don't get this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vHZcZJTegQ

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Gordon Shumway posted:

Playing the Control AWE Expansion and loving it. Noticed a cool little touch: each occasion where you catch a glimpse of Alan Wake in the Oceanview Motel, if you look out the motel windows you can see that it is underwater, because Wake is still trapped under Cauldron Lake.

It's not a lake.

It's an Ocean.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Control, the bathroom going missing joke actually has a punchline: Every area has a similar bathroom model except one unique one - the unique one is a much nicer bathroom, located in Maintenance. That may be the missing executive bathroom.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's the Oldest House helping out its main man Ahti.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BioEnchanted posted:

In Control, the bathroom going missing joke actually has a punchline: Every area has a similar bathroom model except one unique one - the unique one is a much nicer bathroom, located in Maintenance. That may be the missing executive bathroom.

:lol::aaaaa: I never noticed that. It's gotta be the best game I've played in terms of making "scattered story notes to pick up" an actually good and worthwhile storytelling mechanic.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

That's the Oldest House helping out its main man Ahti.

You're not yesterday's grouse's son.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Perestroika posted:

I knew the game was something special when the warning sign at the entrance checkpoint read something like:

:allears:

I'm a bit of a moron. Could I please get some examples of " 4 Anything that can be understood as an iconic representation of an archetypical concept."

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm a bit of a moron. Could I please get some examples of " 4 Anything that can be understood as an iconic representation of an archetypical concept."

Velcro (hook and loop fasteners)
Post-It notes (stick notes)
Coca-Cola (cola)
Lay's (potato chips)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

A cute yellow rubber duckie

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A little thing that I either didn't notice the last time I played MGSV or just forgot about:

When you fight the Skulls, they sometimes bust out these machete attacks that you can counter with your robot arm and CQC. If you do this to one of the early game Skulls without the face covering, you can see his glowing zombie eyes bug out of his head because he's like "Oh poo poo, he can do that?!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Band-aid or Kleenex. Band-Aid and Kleenex are brands, but you'll hear people say 'I need a bandaid' much more often than 'I need an adhesive bandage'. You say 'hand me a kleenex', but you don't specifically mean The Nearest Kleenex-Brand Tissue, you just mean the nearest tissue. Therefore, Band-aid and Kleenex brand bandages and tissues wouldn't be allowed inside the Oldest House, because they're iconic representations of bandages and tissues.

This is why all the vending machines inside the Oldest House are just plain white packages with black text saying what's inside them. Anything that's a brand would be recognized by the Oldest House as an archetype and would, I dunno, explode or something like cell phones do.

edit: For reference, 'archetypes' are a Jungian psychology concept applied to man-made items instead of just humans and human nature. The game's setting is deeply couched in 'what if Jungian psychology were literal' and it's all very fascinating to read into imo. They put a lot of care and attention into that aspect of the game world.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Sep 16, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Actually Cellphones and archetypes react differently - an archetype would become imbued and end up an unexpected object of power, while any modern technology tends to explode because the oldest house doesn't know what to do with it. It can't recognise tech, so it rejects it violently.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

Band-aid or Kleenex. Band-Aid and Kleenex are brands, but you'll hear people say 'I need a bandaid' much more often than 'I need an adhesive bandage'. You say 'hand me a kleenex', but you don't specifically mean The Nearest Kleenex-Brand Tissue, you just mean the nearest tissue. Therefore, Band-aid and Kleenex brand bandages and tissues wouldn't be allowed inside the Oldest House, because they're iconic representations of bandages and tissues.

This is why all the vending machines inside the Oldest House are just plain white packages with black text saying what's inside them. Anything that's a brand would be recognized by the Oldest House as an archetype and would, I dunno, explode or something like cell phones do.

edit: For reference, 'archetypes' are a Jungian psychology concept applied to man-made items instead of just humans and human nature. The game's setting is deeply couched in 'what if Jungian psychology were literal' and it's all very fascinating to read into imo. They put a lot of care and attention into that aspect of the game world.

It's less a brand, and more like...well, imagine a pencil. Did you imagine a yellow, number 2 pencil with a red eraser and sharpened point? That's an archetypical representation of a pencil. Or a beige-colored bandaid, with those little dimples scattered across the sides of it, just large enough to wrap around your finger. Etc.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

google it
xerox
q tip

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Actually Cellphones and archetypes react differently - an archetype would become imbued and end up an unexpected object of power, while any modern technology tends to explode because the oldest house doesn't know what to do with it. It can't recognise tech, so it rejects it violently.

:hmmyes:

e: it's also worth mentioning that many rooms are filled with banks of prime 1980s-era computer technology, the Oldest House is extremely technical and specific in what is considered "modern"

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Sep 16, 2020

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I always figured the Oldest House and objects of power in general had a sliding timeline going on— old enough to have entered the collective unconscious, but too old and they lose their archetypal nature and thus their power.

This means that in a few decades the Safe will be replaced with an indestructible Nokia phone for giving Shield. :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bussamove posted:

This means that in a few decades the Safe will be replaced with an indestructible Nokia phone for giving Shield. :v:

It's only a safe because Remedy couldn't get the rights to make it a Game Boy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm having trouble deciding if this is a side effect of my xbone being first gen and my tv being bad or if its a graphical effect, but I noticed the characters in Control leave these faint tracers when moving, at least in cutscenes. It's a very trippy effect.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Captain Hygiene posted:

:hmmyes:

e: it's also worth mentioning that many rooms are filled with banks of prime 1980s-era computer technology, the Oldest House is extremely technical and specific in what is considered "modern"

I thought it couldn't deal with anything that was created after it was built?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Streets of Rage 4 the back attack sound is ever so slightly louder than any normal hit connection, making you feel like a true pro whenever you say NOPE to some Donovan trying to cheapshot you at the last possible second.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

I thought it couldn't deal with anything that was created after it was built?

The Foundation DLC reveals that noone knows when The Oldest House was built, or even if it was built. There are some theories that it's older than New York.

So either there has been a giant concrete building on Manhattan longer than the city that no one could see, or it changes how it looks over time. Maybe it used to be a giant loving tree?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Veotax posted:

The Foundation DLC reveals that noone knows when The Oldest House was built, or even if it was built. There are some theories that it's older than New York.

So either there has been a giant concrete building on Manhattan longer than the city that no one could see, or it changes how it looks over time. Maybe it used to be a giant loving tree?

A giant tree with branches and roots poking into other worlds? Never heard of it.

Replaying Control and my favorite little thing continues to be trying to figure out Ahti's translated Finnish idioms.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

^^^ I haven't played Foundation because it looks extremely boring, is there a Nidhoggr?

BioEnchanted posted:

This kind of bothers me because they're treating it as a sliding scale of "only enters the collective unconscious after a generation or so has passed" and like, no, mobile phones are so insanely ubiquitous that they absolutely have entered the collective unconscious already.

I know it doesn't matter, but they could just say you don't get reception in the house due to it being another dimension. It feels like a weird one to specify

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

^^^ I haven't played Foundation because it looks extremely boring, is there a Nidhoggr?

This kind of bothers me because they're treating it as a sliding scale of "only enters the collective unconscious after a generation or so has passed" and like, no, mobile phones are so insanely ubiquitous that they absolutely have entered the collective unconscious already.

I know it doesn't matter, but they could just say you don't get reception in the house due to it being another dimension. It feels like a weird one to specify

Are you sure? When you pantomime a phone with your hands, do you extend the thumb and pinky? Why do you think save icons in video games are still tapes and floppy disks? Old school nokia style cell phones aren't even in the collective unconscious yet, let alone new smart era phones which are all just nondescript black rectangles.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just shout directly into my hands.