Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I assume (if Slott's going to stick to the Reckoning War 'canon' he set up in his She-Hulk run) that one-off will be setting up for Reckoning War, since apparently She-Hulk was a player in setting it into motion.

Considering some of Slott's comments about this being a story he had an idea for since he was 12, I'm trying to think of other stories writers came up wit at that age. There's Geoff Johns making Superboy partially a clone of Luthor, of course, but apparently the beginnings of what would become Crisis on Infinite Earths were come up by Wolfman when he was 7. So, um, no pressure, Dan.

After his ideas with Spider-Man...I don't have much hope for him here. I mean the dude is 100% a Spider-Man fan but he doesn't execute his ideas well. Spiderverse and Superior Spider-Man come to mind. Some really fun ideas, kind of crap execution to the point where other writers wrote his own characters 10x better than he could.

Like Silk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Considering some of Slott's comments about this being a story he had an idea for since he was 12, I'm trying to think of other stories writers came up wit at that age. There's Geoff Johns making Superboy partially a clone of Luthor, of course, but apparently the beginnings of what would become Crisis on Infinite Earths were come up by Wolfman when he was 7. So, um, no pressure, Dan.

I can't find the source, but I remember Jonathan Hickman saying this about his X-Men run somewhere.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

After his ideas with Spider-Man...I don't have much hope for him here. I mean the dude is 100% a Spider-Man fan but he doesn't execute his ideas well. Spiderverse and Superior Spider-Man come to mind. Some really fun ideas, kind of crap execution to the point where other writers wrote his own characters 10x better than he could.

Like Silk.

I'm so glad they briefly, briefly touched on the... heavy sigh... connection between Cindy and Silk like once in her ongoing (Which was mostly Peter going 'hey do you wanna hang ou-' and Cindy going 'nope! later!') and never speaking of it again. I don't think they even talked about it in the Spider-Man/Silk mini that like five people read. Which is fine, mind you.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just saw the rumor that the God of Light in Venom is likely the Sentry. As a huge fan of that character I was excited for a few seconds before my being burned out on Knull overwhelmed me. If Knull is retroactively The Void I will lose my mind.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
LMAO I almost hope they go almost full dumbass for it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Probably because of this

https://twitter.com/RyanStegman/status/1305484394229043206?s=19

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is "King in Black" supposed to be a reference or a twist on some common phrase?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lobok posted:

It's probably a play on "The King in Yellow" that Lovecraft borrowed from some other pulp writer and then a million "Lovecraftian" things have homaged, from Alan Moore to True Detective.

This is in the proud tradition of Lois Lane's "I Am Curious (Black)", and I assume a forthcoming Green Lantern crossover "Black is the New Black" and Donny Cates's next symbiote driven event "It's Not Easy Being Black".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

If Knull is retroactively The Void I will lose my mind.

This is absolutely the only outcome.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I assume it will end with the Sentry becoming a symbiote and the last battle will be Venom vs Anti Venom for the fate of the Marvel Universe.

:shepicide:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Also Knull is responsible for the Darkforce Dimension, and so Cloak is actually Knull. And then Dagger is part of the Sentry who is part of Knull, except light.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just read the new Thor issue and I am extremely disturbed by seeing Beta Ray Bill without a hat. poo poo.. It's just... Wrong.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I just saw this thread title, and Wow, that's a bit brazen, isn't it?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

I think it's an upcoming event?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Rhyno posted:

Using the Sentry as the God of Light and Knull as the Void after they did the cool (at least visually) merging of the two of them to make a new status quo that never got a follow-up until now would be the dumbest loving thing so yep it makes total sense they'll do that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

I think it's an upcoming event?

It is but I was wondering where the name for it came from. It was a tickle at the back of my brain telling me I knew it from somewhere. E&C got it for me.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just saw the rumor that the God of Light in Venom is likely the Sentry. As a huge fan of that character I was excited for a few seconds before my being burned out on Knull overwhelmed me. If Knull is retroactively The Void I will lose my mind.

I'll mark out for it, seriously.

I loved the original Sentry mini, but they can't make him work in 616 (or whatever we call the 8th incarnation of 616). They've tried again and again but it always either comes back to The Void taking over and someone having to kill Bob, someone using Bob as a generic power house who's been mind-controlled for a day (in which case why even bother using him), or people just shying away from him altogether because they're scared of approaching the mental illness issue, which has always been at the core of Bob's character.

If this is the beginning of a sea change for Bob then I'm happy. If it starts with saying "Actually, the Void isn't an unbeatable opponent because it's the personification of your internal struggle and as long as you're a super-powered sentient being it's going to be your fight - it's just this nefarious god of evil!" then grand. That might embolden some creators to engage with Bob's character if it means they don't have to represent the negative aspect of his illness through a giant destructive force as opposed to an internalized struggle.

I'm saying "if", because what I've read of Cates so far leads me to believe that he's probably not got this on mind. Or anything like it.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Maybe not the best place to ask for Marvel Unlimited app tips but searching this didn't turn up an adequate answer.

Does anyone know if you can "subscribe" to a series in any sense such that when new issues show up you can easily pick up where you left off? I've been just checking "new this week" but it's a pretty clunky way to keep track of what's newest available in stuff I'm reading.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DisposableHero posted:

Maybe not the best place to ask for Marvel Unlimited app tips but searching this didn't turn up an adequate answer.

Does anyone know if you can "subscribe" to a series in any sense such that when new issues show up you can easily pick up where you left off? I've been just checking "new this week" but it's a pretty clunky way to keep track of what's newest available in stuff I'm reading.

To my knowledge, no, not really. If it's a popular series it might stay in the what's popular tab an extra week or two if you miss it though.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

DisposableHero posted:

Does anyone know if you can "subscribe" to a series in any sense such that when new issues show up you can easily pick up where you left off?
Unfortunately, I don't think you can. The best workaround I can think of is to always keep the last read issue of each of your series in your library. Then if you look at your library and see anything that's more than seven months old, you'll know that there's probably been a newer issue posted.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Marvel Unlimited is dogshit.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Thanks folks. I thought that was likely the case. While frankly I won't go to the lengths of calling it "dogshit" it's definitely got gaps. But if I didn't do this I wouldn't bother reading them at all and it's not been bad enough for me to go that far.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DisposableHero posted:

Thanks folks. I thought that was likely the case. While frankly I won't go to the lengths of calling it "dogshit" it's definitely got gaps. But if I didn't do this I wouldn't bother reading them at all and it's not been bad enough for me to go that far.

The gaps in Marvel Unlimited can be just plain weird. I came across this cover on Twitter the other day...

...and wanted to check out the issue because of course it's ridiculous. But MU has Spider-Woman #1-8 and #10, not #9. And then it soon becomes a random jumble of issues in the series after that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The app is pretty loving terrible, but the selection (though it has a few really noticeable gaps) is huge, and it works fine for binging as long as what you're reading doesn't have too many crossovers.

Some of the gaps I know :filez: versions exist, so Marvel should just re-upload the pirate version and dare the scanners to sue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

The gaps in Marvel Unlimited can be just plain weird. I came across this cover on Twitter the other day...

...and wanted to check out the issue because of course it's ridiculous. But MU has Spider-Woman #1-8 and #10, not #9. And then it soon becomes a random jumble of issues in the series after that.

X-Factor is missing important random issues in the first Apocalypse story. Nocenti's Daredevil is mostly missing, and I just found out Harlan Ellison wrote a Daredevil story, and they don't have that either.

They've also slowed down on filling in those gaps, it used to be every single week the "new on Unlimited" would include older stuff and now months will go by without anything new.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
If people like them then great, but I get the weirdest deja vu seeing these after all the Venomized and Carnagized covers:

https://www.cbr.com/enom-king-in-black-captain-america-black-cat-variants/

Such talented artists, but there's just so little new to do with this latest round on a similar theme.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I couldn’t care less about King in Black, but I just read the new Iron Man and it’s quite fun. I hope this is the start of a solid run after years of meandering for the character.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Skwirl posted:

X-Factor is missing important random issues in the first Apocalypse story. Nocenti's Daredevil is mostly missing, and I just found out Harlan Ellison wrote a Daredevil story, and they don't have that either.

They've also slowed down on filling in those gaps, it used to be every single week the "new on Unlimited" would include older stuff and now months will go by without anything new.

This has been a HUGE complaint for me recently. Up until the lockdowns started, they would throw all sorts of back issues and runs on there every week - usually related to a new storyline, or a movie coming out, or a holiday theme. I looked forward to Monday mornings because it would be like “oh here’s the majority of Englehart’s West Coast Avengers run” or “wow they actually put up the 5 issues of Tigra in Marvel Chillers!” But it’s been weeks and weeks now since they actually did this :(

I’m hoping they’re saving it for the next few months, when the weekly “new” output was next to noting because of the lockdowns, but I don’t have a lot of faith. It really is a great concept and loaded with great comics, but the gaps are weird. nocenti’s Daredevil run really needs to be on there, and I REALLY wish they’d scan in the letter pages with the titles.

Side note - the “new this week” titles included a Facsimile Edition of a Thor issue. Turns out it was reprinted because it contained a quarter-page ad in the letter column announcing Wolverine’s first appearance. That’s just.... bizarre.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't mind the gaps too much, but the interface, the UI and how well everything works in general is just completely pathetic for a paid service.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I have been buying a ton of the Marvel epic collections digitally lately, and I really hope they keep making new ones for a long time. Even as a person who buys things at cost directly from Diamond, I can't justify buying them for twice the price to own them physically. They are definitely the best reprints of older things they have ever done, and actually sell well in my store.

I have been on a huge Spider-Man kick lately. I wish I liked the current stuff more. It isn't horrible or anything, it just feels so painfully drawn out.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I wonder how they actually collect the comics for preservation on Unlimited. I know that there are a lot of general issues in nerd culture with non-pirate preservation, and Marvel made a specific point back in the day of not keeping back issues on hand.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Wanderer posted:

I wonder how they actually collect the comics for preservation on Unlimited. I know that there are a lot of general issues in nerd culture with non-pirate preservation, and Marvel made a specific point back in the day of not keeping back issues on hand.

Most of the companies just have an archive of all the issues they have ever done, they mainly just never kept the original art they were made from. Neil Adams is a hero because he kept the art from being literally thrown in the furnace.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I imagine what slows down the process of adding old issues is needing to do the guided view for each one, right? It's not just scanning a page, someone or something has to separate out all the sections of each page and put them in order for reading.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

I imagine what slows down the process of adding old issues is needing to do the guided view for each one, right? It's not just scanning a page, someone or something has to separate out all the sections of each page and put them in order for reading.

I think that'd be easier for older issues, at least before the 90s, when thinks had more distinct panels.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Definitely easier to identify and easier to do but still tedious. Splash pages have to be broken up as well depending on how much text they have.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Guided reading sucks anyway so I'd be fine with them not doing it if it meant stuff going up faster.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm not sure an person handles the guided view side of things. A lot of the older comics have a pretty bad break up, enough that I figure there's some machine learning involved.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Vince MechMahon posted:

Guided reading sucks anyway so I'd be fine with them not doing it if it meant stuff going up faster.

If you have a tablet or desktop browser at least. It'd really poo poo on people who only use the service on their phones.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I use MU only on my phone and almost never touch guided view. With screen resolutions these days the pages are readable as is, especially if I turn the phone sideways and scroll with the page fit to screen width.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brosef
Jan 19, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

If Knull is retroactively The Void I will lose my mind.

So he's both Knull and Void?