Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

RDNA2 Midrange GPUs Brought to you by Team Rocket™️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
If online sales start at 9am and the BestBuy near me opens at 10am is there any point in going? Won't stock be sold out before the store even opens?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Pretty big difference in the cooling between the ROG ASUS and the TUF ASUS.

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING/

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RTX3080-10G-GAMING/

The ROG strix has a much larger block while the TUF card has a much smaller block and a separate VRAM cooler.

My gut says a big block that covers everything is best for overclocking but the TUF card is bragging about a VRAM heatsink the ROG card clearly doesn't have. (mind you it looks like the ROG block just does the job of two TUF coolers)

Its almost like its bragging about worse VRAM cooling since the other card just has a "full coverage" block.

Why not just give both a big block?

Is it expensive to have a solid chunk of copper like that? Is it just supper annoying to assemble due to needing decent mounting pressure everywhere? Are they bragging about a cooling system thats less good because of course marketing is doing that?

Just based on the cooling I'm getting a ROG card. Colder cards run faster.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 16, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

OhFunny posted:

If online sales start at 9am and the BestBuy near me opens at 10am is there any point in going? Won't stock be sold out before the store even opens?

Yeah, I think that is what is going to happen.

At least I have the day off to spam refresh and miss getting a card.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Something I haven't thought about before: if afterburner detects a new GPU will it default its fan, power curve etc settings? My 1080ti has been set up in a specific way

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kraftwerk posted:

So full disclosure, the only reason I’m even considering hanging around in line for these cards is because I’ve somehow been led to believe that the initial round of cards on the 17th is ALL you get until January 21st.

Oh yeah they're gonna manufacture one run of GPUs and then shut down that fab for three months, that's exactly how that works

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/chiakokhua/status/1306067000628842497?s=20

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Quitting my job at the dick sucking factory to apply for the gaming factory

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Having a hoot reading the customer reviews of the $10,000 MSI 3080 at BestBuy.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/msi-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ventus-3x-10gb-gddr6x-video-card/14950588/review

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lmfao incredible

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Except before it was a value of getting a mobo for the CPU you are buying.

This is just them taking intel mobo boxes they cant sell and taping them to graphics cards fully knowing people will buy them straight up not needing the mobo.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

FuturePastNow posted:

Oh yeah they're gonna manufacture one run of GPUs and then shut down that fab for three months, that's exactly how that works

No no, they're going to hold on to all the stock until the holiday rush is over so everyone can focus on buying these cards without being distracted by other stuff.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

ufarn posted:

High-end ASUS card + VAT will probably do that, yeah. The Strix is probably going to be the most expensive Ampere card (barring obscure Ultra++ OC Gamer variations).

The FE is 719€ here. So actually, for a Strix, it's not too bad and thus why I jumped on the preorder.

Good thing I did, that thing went out of stock in <24 hours.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

BurritoJustice posted:

That actually looks really loving good, might be the first radeons to come out with proper cooling for reference cards.

The vrm analysis guy seems to agree overall too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uxLy1qWRAk

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

BurritoJustice posted:

Dual 8-pins on the "mid-range" card? That means > 225 Watts, right?

New card buyers are going to be able to turn down the furnace this winter.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You're saying I can play video games AND heat my home at the same time? You'd almost be a fool NOT to buy one!

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
The more you play the more you save! (on your heating bill)

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
^^ Buy Pascal or Turing instead. More heat output per frame. (Higher is better.)

totalnewbie posted:

No no, they're going to hold on to all the stock until the holiday rush is over so everyone can focus on buying these cards without being distracted by other stuff.

I know you're joking, but some stores are bound to keep at least one card in stock even if they're "sold out" just so they can advertise it for Black Friday. If they were in the crypto market, they would even open up the box and mine on it until Black Friday - but I don't think we've reached that level of stupidity yet.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
joke's on nvidia my utilities are included in the rent so i don't care how power inefficient it is

thank god the 3080 appears to be so power-hungry it's actually a bad bet for ethereum miners

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
If the cards were bad at mining, but great at general ML and molecular dynamics (Folding at Home), that would be a nice sweet spot.

We have district heating and heat pumps here, and pay for electricity, so waste heat is not a benefit for me at home. Might put a an e-waste based folding rig in the cabin to keep it from freezing in winter though.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug
when reviews?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cantide posted:

when reviews?

9 am EST

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug
thanks, so in about 3h40m

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone looking to score a lower end AIB card on launch day might be worth considering that Gigabyte offers four years of warranty rather than the standard three even on their low end series like the Eagle. Also, I tried to do some pixel counting on that very card and it seems it is roughly 327mm in length, in case anyone else is case constrained.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Incessant Excess posted:

Anyone looking to score a lower end AIB card on launch day might be worth considering that Gigabyte offers four years of warranty rather than the standard three even on their low end series like the Eagle. Also, I tried to do some pixel counting on that very card and it seems it is roughly 327mm in length, in case anyone else is case constrained.

The Gigabyte website says nothing about 4 years for the Eagle, it only touts it on the page for the Gaming line.

Eagle: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080EAGLE-OC-10GD/sp#sp

Gaming: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080GAMING-OC-10GD/sp#sp

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BurritoJustice posted:

This poo poo is why I need FE for watercooling

That or I get a GALAKURO 3090

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Pa16wnFF0

https://www.kuroutoshikou.com/gaming/product/graphics_bord/nvidia/gg-rtx3090-e24gb_tp/

Not sure if there's some weird fuckery going on here, but it looks like Galakuro is just another trading style of Galax.

I'd also love an FE just because they're allegedly being favourably binned, but gently caress if I want to fight with that bastard cooler to watercool it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Theophany posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Pa16wnFF0

https://www.kuroutoshikou.com/gaming/product/graphics_bord/nvidia/gg-rtx3090-e24gb_tp/

Not sure if there's some weird fuckery going on here, but it looks like Galakuro is just another trading style of Galax.

I'd also love an FE just because they're allegedly being favourably binned, but gently caress if I want to fight with that bastard cooler to watercool it.

I keep reading GALAKURO as Galakrond from Warcraft, complete with the goofy lines he says when you play the matching card in hearthstone

gently caress anime girls, I want this bad boy on the blower

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

AirRaid posted:

The Gigabyte website says nothing about 4 years for the Eagle, it only touts it on the page for the Gaming line.

I'm sorry, I was mistaken. :negative:

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

This is the first time I've been hoping to grab a card at launch, is the only way to get the FE cards through Nvidia's website? I'm in the UK.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Enjoying those blissful final hours of the thread before everyone starts posting shipping updates.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hope you have a drill handy.

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugy4GNsWeVOYbc62hlN4AaABCQ

Unsure if it's a joke...

the cooler may be difficult to teardown but easy(er) to just separate from the PCB in one piece

we'll soon find out

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Enjoying those blissful final hours of the thread before everyone starts posting shipping updates.

:hmmyes:

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Worried about the 3080 FE melting my air-cooled CPU. Turns out my 8086k was set to some wacky auto voltage where prime95/cinebench would set the CPU to "MELT SELF" mode, told AVX to go to hell with a -3 offset, set the voltage properly and now it's nice and cool.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Prices are being raised on Overclockers and the FTW was replaced with an XC3, I think the FTW was a listing error.

EVGA XC3 has gone up from 649.99 to 689.99
MSI Gaming X Trio was £749 and now it's £829.
Gigabyte Aorus Master from £749 to £799 and Extreme from £799 to £829

I don't see where any of the justification for the prices being higher than the FE came from in the first place. The cooler on the FE is meant to be a significant cost but These AIBs are coming up with cards nearly a third more expensive.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 16, 2020

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
When’s Yeston releasing a pink 3090 with spinning cat eyes?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

the cooler may be difficult to teardown but easy(er) to just separate from the PCB in one piece

we'll soon find out

If that's true then it's irrelevant for watercooling because I'm guessing the issue is people needing to repair fans or the like. Keeping the whole assembly in perfect condition is ideal for WC for selling it down the line

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Carecat posted:

Prices are being raised on Overclockers and the Evga FTW has disappeared.

Not massively so far. Expect the have started receiving conformational n of what they are going to receive.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Carecat posted:

Prices are being raised on Overclockers and the FTW was replaced with an XC3, I think the FTW was a listing error.

EVGA XC3 has gone up from 649.99 to 689.99
MSI Gaming X Trio was £749 and now it's £829.
Gigabyte Aorus Master from £749 to £799 and Extreme from £799 to £829

I don't see where any of the justification for the prices being higher than the FE came from in the first place. The cooler on the FE is meant to be a significant cost but These AIBs are coming up with cards nearly a third more expensive.

They're being called out for it in their storefront thread too, so might get an answer as to why today.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Bad Parenting posted:

This is the first time I've been hoping to grab a card at launch, is the only way to get the FE cards through Nvidia's website? I'm in the UK.
Yup, for the UK at least. A supposed pro-tip is to be logged into Paypal and checkout through it rather than struggling to create an Nvidia Shop account when the server is making GBS threads out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Cancelbot posted:

Worried about the 3080 FE melting my air-cooled CPU. Turns out my 8086k was set to some wacky auto voltage where prime95/cinebench would set the CPU to "MELT SELF" mode, told AVX to go to hell with a -3 offset, set the voltage properly and now it's nice and cool.

I'm assuming you mostly use your computer for gaming? The Decima engine (Horizon: Zero Dawn and Death Stranding) uses AVX and it is part of DX12, so I would expect more usage in the future. Prime95 and Cinebench in no way represent a realistic gaming workload. I would recommend turning AVX back to normal, the proper voltage should suffice.