Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's a longshot, but has anyone made a mod that circumvents the "opposing faction tells you to gently caress off" or at least delays it? I'd love to botch Caesar's surgery if the NCR would just be patient :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Raserys posted:

It's a longshot, but has anyone made a mod that circumvents the "opposing faction tells you to gently caress off" or at least delays it? I'd love to botch Caesar's surgery if the NCR would just be patient :argh:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40478

Have this one installed, but haven't gotten up to a point where I would normally trigger the warning quest not to piss of a faction any more yet, so can't 100% say if it still works, although I haven't had any issues with other older mods like this one usually.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Thanks, worked perfectly! I downloaded another mod to avoid blowing up the Brotherhood, but the game thinks I did so it sends me to the destroyed version of the bunker. Sacrifices have to be made, I guess.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Weapons of The New Millenia and Asurah Reanimation Pack Compatibility Patch
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69773?tab=description

Okay, yet another playthrough coming up for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pip-Boy Light Priority Fix plugin.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69833

Okay, this is something I never thought would get fixed but I'm super happy.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 7, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Mojave Rattlesnakes
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69841

Neat.

Oh.

quote:

Rattlesnakes from New California placed in the Wastelands.

READ THIS FIRST: This is only an ESP. The assets (models and textures) are in
the New California mod. The ESP does not depend on New California's master ESM,
but you still need the assets. However New California is over 7GB, and if you
don't want that mod sitting on your harddrive you can do the following:

- Download New California.
- Make a dummy folder (like C:\dummy).
- Copy FalloutNV.exe from your New Vegas install to C:\dummy.
- Install New California to C:\dummy.
- Extract the Rattlesnake assets from "Textures 2.bsa" with FOMM or with BSARCH.
These assets in the BSA files are located in meshes\creatures\rattlesnake and
textures\creatures\rattlesnake.
- Copy the rattlesnake meshes and textures to your meshes and texture folders of
your New Vegas installation.
- Delete the dummy folder.

Ughhhh.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I feel like playing this game again, but all the links I've tried in the OP are broken. What mods are good/essential these days?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
https://vivanewvegas.github.io/index.html

This is what I use nowadays. The Core list has all your essentials. I can't really speak for most of the others since I like things mostly vanilla but I do enjoy Mojave Wildlife/Mojave Raiders/The Living Desert/Uncut Wasteland to populate the world and make it a bit more interesting.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CFox posted:

https://vivanewvegas.github.io/index.html

This is what I use nowadays. The Core list has all your essentials. I can't really speak for most of the others since I like things mostly vanilla but I do enjoy Mojave Wildlife/Mojave Raiders/The Living Desert/Uncut Wasteland to populate the world and make it a bit more interesting.
Does this website say what exaclty the mod does somewhere on it? I can't find anything

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zereth posted:

Does this website say what exaclty the mod does somewhere on it? I can't find anything

It's not a mod, it's a series of instructions for installing a bunch of mods, it does say what each individual mod does and it's pretty modular with instructions on what to do if you don't want to install individual parts of it.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

There's also a version of that mod list available on Wabbajack, significantly cutting down on the time and hassle needed to install it all. It does require a little bit of manual intervention though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Woebin posted:

There's also a version of that mod list available on Wabbajack, significantly cutting down on the time and hassle needed to install it all. It does require a little bit of manual intervention though.

Don't you need to be subbed to the Nexus to use Wabbajack?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Don't you need to be subbed to the Nexus to use Wabbajack?

You can use it without a sub, but you have to manually approve all the downloads, and it uses the slower download speed for anything with large texture files (which almost every mod pack has). Still a little quicker and simpler than going step by step yourself since Wabbajack handles a lot of overwrites, BASH patches and configuration, but it does take a lot longer than if you have premium.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

wow i wish i'd read that before I got through Core and Visuals

oh well i'll finish up tomorrow, i'm not liking the looks of a lot of the stuff in the gameplay section

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

VNV is sold as a Vanilla+ pack, and while I love it, it does deviate from even Jsawyer pretty heavily. After you finish the install definitely check the StewieA tweaks .ini because by default even stuff like sneak attack criticals are disabled (for being "absurdly OP"). There is a much bigger list but I've got too much of a headache right now to list. I just recommend double checking stuff

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea definitely go through the StewieIA.ini and set it up how you like it. There's an absurd amount of options there. Personally I disable sneak attack criticals with non-melee weapons but that's totally a subjective thing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You can pry my sneak attack criticals from my cold dead hands

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Amen.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

CFox posted:

Yea definitely go through the StewieIA.ini and set it up how you like it. There's an absurd amount of options there. Personally I disable sneak attack criticals with non-melee weapons but that's totally a subjective thing.

Thirded, there's so many great QoL things and tweaks in there that make the game better and also minimise the bloat in your mod list from standalone mods doing the same thing

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

stealing chets .22 silenced pistol and just goin ham on the ncr outpost outside of primm ftw imo

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

All who question the supremacy of the stealth sniping rear end in a top hat will be shot from outside of their detection range (and even terrain detail draw range)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah I went through the entire ini

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gently caress I moved on to adding gameplay mods without making a backup of my working-last-night core + visuals setup and now it crashes as soon as it gets in-game

EDIT: even if I go back to the "just core" profile??

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Zereth posted:

gently caress I moved on to adding gameplay mods without making a backup of my working-last-night core + visuals setup and now it crashes as soon as it gets in-game

EDIT: even if I go back to the "just core" profile??
Welcome to modding, it's great! Try posting your load order?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Woebin posted:

Welcome to modding, it's great! Try posting your load order?

https://pastebin.com/q5Ake87Z

This is after I tried deleting the new mods i installed, I have no idea what's going on

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Can I create like an entirely separate instance of mod organizer to try and start over or something

EDIT: for that matter how would I properly wipe out all the mods in order to start over?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 17, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Also, this guide does not explain why it's having me make these "merge" things, and my best suspect is installing a patch into something that I'd already put into a merge. Do I actually need to do that, or can I skip that step?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zereth posted:

Also, this guide does not explain why it's having me make these "merge" things, and my best suspect is installing a patch into something that I'd already put into a merge. Do I actually need to do that, or can I skip that step?

Fallout: New Vegas can have issues the more mods you have. There's also a lot of voodoo involved in what people do to make New Vegas more stable.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well I guess I better start over cleanly. But I'm not sure how to do that, would just uninstalling all the mods and deleting anything left in the Mods folder be enough?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zereth posted:

Well I guess I better start over cleanly. But I'm not sure how to do that, would just uninstalling all the mods and deleting anything left in the Mods folder be enough?

If you have decent download speeds (I'm assuming it's a digital copy of New Vegas) I'd nuke the entire install and start over.

and if you do that, make sure to run the game at least once before modding.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Skwirl posted:

If you have decent download speeds (I'm assuming it's a digital copy of New Vegas) I'd nuke the entire install and start over.

and if you do that, make sure to run the game at least once before modding.
Oh, running the "no mods" profile works.

The "Core" backup, though, doesn't. EDIT: "Core" being a segment of the Viva New Vegas guide if whoever's reading this isn't familiar

Zereth fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 17, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

Oh, running the "no mods" profile works.

The "Core" backup, though, doesn't. EDIT: "Core" being a segment of the Viva New Vegas guide if whoever's reading this isn't familiar

At this point I'd just run the wabbajack installer. It'll make an absolutely clean perfect install, it doesn't keep anything from old installs except for anything you've added to the New Vegas root folder

I really do recommend double checking some of the tweaks though. Something that I disliked was removing the highlight abilities of Boone/rex/ed-e. With the darker nights and interiors in the pack they're missed. Easy to change in fnvedit

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

At this point I'd just run the wabbajack installer. It'll make an absolutely clean perfect install, it doesn't keep anything from old installs except for anything you've added to the New Vegas root folder

I really do recommend double checking some of the tweaks though. Something that I disliked was removing the highlight abilities of Boone/rex/ed-e. With the darker nights and interiors in the pack they're missed. Easy to change in fnvedit
Does the wabbajack installer let me stop and go off-script after the Visuals part because I don't want all these big changes it starts putting in at the Gameplay part

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Try running the bare minimum of mod installs and see if thst works.

Bare minimum would be:

New Vegas Anti-Crash (NVAC)
NVSE plug-in
4GB launcher
New Vegas Tick Fix.

Those are the foundation of not just modded playthroughs but of even launching the game.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

Does the wabbajack installer let me stop and go off-script after the Visuals part because I don't want all these big changes it starts putting in at the Gameplay part

If you run wabbajack it puts all the different categories of mods into sorted brackets in Mod Organiser that make it easier to remove things. It merges in some, but I am happy to help you remove anything you think deviates too far from Vanilla

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Try running the bare minimum of mod installs and see if thst works.

Bare minimum would be:

New Vegas Anti-Crash (NVAC)
NVSE plug-in
4GB launcher
New Vegas Tick Fix.

Those are the foundation of not just modded playthroughs but of even launching the game.
Yeah those were manual so they were still in, those worked I deleted everything and then started over and as soon as I finished the very first part of core that had actual mods in it, bam, crashes in under a second when I get in game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have redownloaded new vegas itself now and gently caress it, Wabbajack time I guess. It still works if I don't have premium nexus, right, just... slowly?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Zereth posted:

Yeah those were manual so they were still in, those worked I deleted everything and then started over and as soon as I finished the very first part of core that had actual mods in it, bam, crashes in under a second when I get in game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have redownloaded new vegas itself now and gently caress it, Wabbajack time I guess. It still works if I don't have premium nexus, right, just... slowly?

When you say first part of core that has mods do you mean this page? https://vivanewvegas.github.io/core-utilities.html

If so it's gotta be those .ini edits for the tick fix. I don't think I've ever done those and I always just use the default values.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CFox posted:

When you say first part of core that has mods do you mean this page? https://vivanewvegas.github.io/core-utilities.html

If so it's gotta be those .ini edits for the tick fix. I don't think I've ever done those and I always just use the default values.
No, this page: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/core-bugfix.html

I think I ignored those ini edits becuase I recently upgraded my computer and things which are just for improved performance seem unnecessary

also wabbjack does in fact seem to need premium and I don't think I want to do this hard enough to pay money

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
That's weird, all of those should be fine.

Are you loading a previous save or starting fresh? Also I don't know if you're aware but with MO you can easily turn off a mod by unchecking one of the boxes on the left hand window. You can always start turning off the mods until you can narrow down what's causing the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

No, this page: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/core-bugfix.html

I think I ignored those ini edits becuase I recently upgraded my computer and things which are just for improved performance seem unnecessary

also wabbjack does in fact seem to need premium and I don't think I want to do this hard enough to pay money

https://streamable.com/5uuzo

You can also manually download the zips and put them in the wabbajack download folder and it'll pick them up, letting you automate everything other than downloading.

What's a nexus premium month looking like these days? I brought a lifetime plan a few years ago because I found myself getting one for download speeds whenever I did a new Skyrim/NV mod list every year or so and it was decently economical. It feels even better now that money goes towards a split of the modders you actually downloaded from and endorsed