Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

CharlestheHammer posted:

The serious answer is people are projecting their own very specific issues into this lady which doesn’t actually make sense as we know for a fact why she did it
That's not what people are upset about. They're upset about it being called a 'fake voice' and 'if she'll lie about her voice what CAN you trust her on', when they themselves moderate their voices in order to hit their desired gender presentation. The fact that Holmes is not trans and was doing it for weird, grift-related reasons is irrelevant when they're just asking people to watch their wording, not stop making fun of Elizabeth Holmes, Blood Grifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She was obviously playing a role and it was super easy to see through it, her using a fake voice being the most obvious and first sign that someone should pick up on. She's doing it for completely different reasons.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

She was obviously playing a role and it was super easy to see through it, her using a fake voice being the most obvious and first sign that someone should pick up on. She's doing it for completely different reasons.
Yes, I agree. I am saying that I think 'fake voice' is specifically what is upsetting here, and if it's upsetting people I don't think it's a problem to talk about her altering her voice instead. That's all. That's the terminology shift I think would help. Nobody is saying it's not weird that she altered her voice in the way she did or that nobody pointed it out.

(I want to note that I'm cis and I'm not trying to talk over the trans posters, just trying to elaborate on what I think the disconnect is.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It is a fake voice though.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

It is a fake voice though.
It's an altered voice. Plenty of people alter their voice for reasons quite different than Elizabeth Holmes, and I don't think they want to be told they have fake voices.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I mean, there's plenty of stuff hosed up about her. I guess we can start talking about how she has dead emotionless eyes and she doesn't blink. Or that her facial expression never seems to change even when she smiles and laughs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PetraCore posted:

It's an altered voice. Plenty of people alter their voice for reasons quite different than Elizabeth Holmes, and I don't think they want to be told they have fake voices.

No one is talking about them though. We are talking about one specific person doing one thing to help her with her scheme.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

No one is talking about them though. We are talking about one specific person doing one thing to help her with her scheme.
Right. But if other people have said they're upset, then isn't it a small thing to shift your language even if you don't understand why they're upset?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Holmes altered her voice in large part because of lovely patriarchal cultural baggage about female presentation in heavily male dominated industries. Any discussion of "fake" or "altered" mannerisms in this regard can't be cleaved away from the larger cultural context.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Right. But if other people have said they're upset, then isn't it a small thing to shift your language even if you don't understand why they're upset?

Maybe they shouldn't assume everything is an attack against them.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

PetraCore posted:

PetraCore posted:

There's no particular reason to treat all voice alterations as the same thing, though. If you're going to use only one term, then definitely don't use "fake voice". But even better is to be specific, and make a distinction between someone trying to alter their natural speaking voice versus someone putting on an affectation. And is "fake voice" really that bad of a term to use for an affectation?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Seriously, when you want to start arguing the semantics of what "fake voice" means in this one and highly specific context then head over to twitter because it's not helping at all.

This is like getting offended because someone explained a medical study and using the phrase "the animals were retarded in growth from ages X-Y" because they used the r-word.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Sep 16, 2020

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I 100% have a fake voice when talking to customers at work. It's literally called "customer service voice". Mine goes much higher pitched and more musical than my regular speaking voice. I can totally see a woman in a business leadership role dropping pitch. She's unlikely the first and if she wasn't a scammer, no one would be fighting over it like this.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Look, I know this person is doing some weird Darth Vader larp as part of the lies upon lies scam that was their entire career, but sometimes I pretend to be in a good mood at my customer service job so think b4 u judge.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Holmes altered her voice in large part because of lovely patriarchal cultural baggage about female presentation in heavily male dominated industries. Any discussion of "fake" or "altered" mannerisms in this regard can't be cleaved away from the larger cultural context.
E: nope

Teriyaki Hairpiece has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Sep 16, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Picnic Princess posted:

I 100% have a fake voice when talking to customers at work. It's literally called "customer service voice". Mine goes much higher pitched and more musical than my regular speaking voice. I can totally see a woman in a business leadership role dropping pitch. She's unlikely the first and if she wasn't a scammer, no one would be fighting over it like this.

It's been noted by my peers that my voice changes significantly while talking on the phone, and when talking on the phone to loved ones it changes so much that it's shocking to third parties.

It's wholly unconscious though FWIW.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Okay I'm going to do my best here:

1. Sometimes trans people deepen their voice, and they get poo poo for it
2. Sometimes women with deep voices get poo poo for it
3. Sometimes women with high voices aren't taken serious
4. Sometimes women aren't taken serious in general
5. Sometimes people change their appearances for personal or professional reasons
6. Apropos of none of those 5 things, we really hate this particular wretched evil grifter lady, and find her fake deep voice funny/perplexing

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
If you alter your voice to reflect your inner self, whether consciously/unconsciously so, that's fine and good. Present yourself in a way that lets others know who you are. I don't think anyone in this thread is against this. None of them would call this a "fake voice." Be yourself, and others will pick up on it unless they are phobic chuds.

The Theranos lady is doing none of the above. This griftlord is not altering their voice to reflect their inner self. They are using a literally fake voice for the express purpose of selling their cool idea.

This isn't a LBGTQ+ thing, this is a master level used car salesman, bluffing out their rear end until it's too late to get your money back.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

It's already been said, but true Elizabeth Holmes is a fuckwit who scammed millions of dollars, (dollars that should have gone into healthcare research, and development in a hosed up country that actually needs it), by hawking her fake, snake oil blood test gizmos on the rich and gullible.

But it's weird how people are attacking her for her fake deep voice.

Yeah, you can use a lot of pop psychology as to WHY she was putting on the fake voice. But it still reeks of "woman has non traditional woman voice, therefore crazy and evil!"

I mean she is crazy and evil, and if she gets away with her legal defense of "I have a weird arse mental disorder where I don't feel guilty about all the obviously and provable fraudulent stuff I have done.", which seems to be her plan. Then gently caress her and everything about her.

But the fact she put on a silly voice as part of her grift is the least of her crimes.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

We're responding negatively to language that's identical to what TERFs use to try and get us murdered.
Not defending some evil grifter.
Hope that clears things up for you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

We're responding negatively to language that's identical to what TERFs use to try and get us murdered.
Not defending some evil grifter.
Hope that clears things up for you.

There's a negative connotation with the phrase "greedy, money grubbing" when associated with Jews. When it's used against non-Jewish it doesn't encourage or support antisemitism.

Sometimes language is used for multiple purposes and specific contexts. Bigots don't own the right to complex ideas or syntax and constantly trying to make it a trans issue when the application is extremely narrow and specific to a single case just makes it seem like a trivial issue.

No one said "yeah Holmes is doing that thing trans people do" it was all explicitly about how she altered her voice to present herself as a Ladyboss CEO Titan of Silicon Valley and there were reports she dropped it when she was happy/relaxed and freaked out if someone from outside her inner circle heard her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also that a really goofy obviously fake voice apparently impressed all these very wealthy people presumably with expensive college applications and convinced them to invest millions in her magic beans

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Multiple people: hey maybe word it a little better. Theres several cultural undercurrents this ties into.

Bootlicker AV: WELL ACTUALLY

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You cannot criticise Donald Trump’s spray tan because some people use cosmetics for things like covering vitiligo. Trump’s fake tan cannot be cleaved away from the larger cultural context surrounding skin tone.

You cannot laugh at Elizabeth Holme’s much sadder affectation of wearing dark turtlenecks because sweaters provide comfort to many with gender dysphoria.

Seriously, there’s been hostility in this thread, but I don’t see any transphobia.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

When did this thread end up on Reddit?

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

Seriously, there's been hostility in this thread, but I don't see any transphobia.

This thread posted:

It's like if she went into an interview wearing a ridiculous fake mustache and glasses. It's such a weird thing to do that it should have sent up a red flag to look closer at what she was claiming.

I bring it up every time Thanos is brought up but it drove me nuts when they were on the upswing and NO media pointed out how fake her voice was.

Yeah this is why I said above I couldn't understand why no media was pointing out how fake her voice was during Theranos's rise. It's incredibly obvious.

If anything it just adds to the absolute failure of journalism in our country. A crazy person can get in front of interviewers and put on a clearly fake voice and lie through their teeth and absolutely no one will call them on it.

(Her voice) It’s actually the most interesting part of her grifting.Hell I would say the only really interesting stuff. Most the rest is pretty boilerplate and kind of boring

The idea that her choosing to speak outside her normal register should of been reported on and result in a increased level of scrutiny is a lovely option. It was explained by multiple people why, then people spent pages doubling down on it, presumably to be arseholes.

RichardA has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Sep 16, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s not transphobic to point out that a cis woman is putting on a blatant act to scam investors

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

me me me me me me me me me

do what I say

why can't you just do what I say????

it's so easy to just do what I say, just do it

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Why are people obsessed with defending their hot takes on the single least interesting aspect of Holmes' behavior?

Oh no a cis women adopted a different voice to be taken more seriously in male dominated spaces. To the extent there's any humor there it's in how it changed the way rich old fuckers perceived her.

To finish my hot take. In almost any other industry I'd almost respect her grift. If she got a bunch of old, powerful rich dudes to invest in her cryptocurrency or wherever I'd applaud her for separating fools from money while also applauding her arrest. But she chose to loving grift on medical equipment. People have likely died directly because her fake product kept them from getting real medical care. And then there's the knock on effect of what biomes startups making legit life saving innovations didn't get funding and will continue to not get funding because Theranos sucked it all up?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This thread is normally really good, so it was weird to see multiple reports on it. Having read the last page or so, though, I get it!

I don't think anyone here is being stubbornly contentious or posting in genuine bad faith. I do think people might have gotten to the point in this particular derail that they're all talking past each other. I'm not sure what more can be usefully added here, so maybe let's move on from the issue of Holmes' voice.

Take the discussion literally almost anywhere else. Thanks.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

"You just beat me to the punch, Pastry", said the cis woman IK who sounds like Bea Arthur.

Edit: and much better than I would've

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
For shits and giggles I looked up other important women in tech. That Carly lady from HP, Sandberg from Facebook, Whitman from eBay/HP/Quibi (that's a steller progression). None sound like Deep Throat. They also don't sound like Elle Woods delivering her closing arguments. Not really knowing what Holmes' natural voice sounds like, maybe it's more squeaky than smooth and she was just trying to be taken seriously.

It's brilliant like Trump though, because people focus on some vanity thing like baritones or spray tans and not the really bad poo poo like driving a man to suicide or destroying an economy. The average person doesn't know who Elizabeth Holmes even is, but a significant number of those that do, know her as the lady with the weird voice and not the lady who ran a decade+ long scam.

Is that how the pedo guy in Britain managed to get away with being creepy for so long even though he looked really creepy? Did looking creepy somehow distract people from him being creepy?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is that how the pedo guy in Britain managed to get away with being creepy for so long even though he looked really creepy? Did looking creepy somehow distract people from him being creepy?

Which one?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Saville.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Sep 16, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Not only that but Saville even repeatedly "joked" about how creepy he was. It's mindboggling.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Lol. What was your first answer?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

madeintaipei posted:

Lol. What was your first answer?

That was my first answer: I had continued the Holmes stuff in my post and hadn't seen the mod post informing us whiners had been putting in reports.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Could've been Gary Glitter, aka hall-of-fame-fake-name Larry Brilliante.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I thought it was a joke about Britain being an island full of creepy old pedo dudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Soylent Pudding posted:

I thought it was a joke about Britain being an island full of creepy old pedo dudes?

It was. Though Glitter doesn't fit since he was a glam rocker so it made since to look the way he did.