Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

gh0stpinballa posted:

if you want to crack and ping have a look into the huge trenche of files that were deleted by the cops and home office during the rotherham cover up. that entire ring was never investigated properly at all, because of the influence the family running the network had with the police and in local politics.
Was that the one where the council offices were broken into by 'crack addicts' who specifically stole files and nothing else or was that one of the other ones?

e: Port 80 is the one Theresa May wants you to use for all your internets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Comrade Nature Goons, I'm sitting by the river having a beer and a whole bunch of insects are flying around above me. What's with that? Who are these guys? Why am I so attractive?

Cause not being funny but I must look like pigpen right now. And yes, I wash

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

winegums posted:

Good luck! I've put in some money. One option (idk how viable this would be) that I'd have paid for was to get sent some booze from whatever gets brewed. not sure how practical that'd be though.

The 'firkin' level and anything which gives a growler comes with beer brewed at the brewery, but I haven't looked into postage options - maybe that's something else to try!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1306247710870208516

Come on team lets get #CovidPissSticks going.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to guess that "pregnancy-style covid tests" means control/test lines and results within minutes, but you still have to put a drop of blood on it.

Then again given Boris' history, I'm also going to guess that he doesn't know how pregnancy tests work.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

Was that the one where the council offices were broken into by 'crack addicts' who specifically stole files and nothing else or was that one of the other ones?

the very same. also whoever "broke in" used a swipe card which they somehow never traced.

edit: took out the big info dump cos i get too angry talking about rotherham. anyway:

there is so much dirt wrt rotherham that got buried in all the screaming about muslim grooming gangs and its pretty obvious why the cops and social services manufactured this "pc gone mad" outrage the deeper you get into it all.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pregnancy style covid tests means Boris will pretend not to know how many there are.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Then again given Boris' history, I'm also going to guess that he doesn't know how pregnancy tests work.

Step 1: the woman (who is not your wife) pees on a stick

Step 2: If positive, pressure her into signing a non-disclosure agreement*/getting an abortion**/marrying you

Step 3: face the consequences of your actions

* allegedly
** according to that MP staffer's spreadsheet of MPs to avoid that did the rounds a couple of years ago

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

gh0stpinballa posted:

there is so much dirt wrt rotherham that got buried in all the screaming about muslim grooming gangs and its pretty obvious why the cops and social services manufactured this "pc gone mad" outrage the deeper you get into it all.
I often wonder if all the Qshit is deliberately stirred up by these types in the same way that the Satanic Panic was aggressively promoted by the Church press in the 80s to:
a) get people talking about how organized groups of Satanists do rituals in churches and abuse kids to distract attention away from the actual reason that children were being abused by people who wear robes and have access to churches
b) build an association between 'people who believe that organized abused in power structures exists' and 'tinfoil hat nutters who think Bill Gates invented covid' so that discussing Rotherham outside it being The Muslims' fault makes you non-credible

Or I could be looking at it wrong and the powerful benefit in many other ways from a post-truth environment and abusing children with impunity is just one of them.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Pregnancy style covid tests means Boris will pretend not to know how many there are.
:golfclap:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, wiping a laptop you used for work after leaving that company is not an abnormal thing to do.

Assuming your work emails while you were at that company may be kept on a central IMAP or Exchange server is also reasonable.

Sounds like the company removed some emails, isn't this the same company that removed all reference to Grenfell from their website at 5am on the day of the fire, and it was later found on archive.org, or was that one of the other ones?

Yeah like if I delete my work inbox it should still be backed up as necessary on the work server. If they aren't keeping their proper records that's not my fault and if I had left the company I would even expect them to tell me to delete any local copies of sensitive information as a routine thing.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1306256145368125442?s=21

Schrödinger‘s minister

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah like if I delete my work inbox it should still be backed up as necessary on the work server. If they aren't keeping their proper records that's not my fault and if I had left the company I would even expect them to tell me to delete any local copies of sensitive information as a routine thing.
A lot of the WFH stuff now (possibly because it had to be cooked up quickly, but also because corporate security) is done entirely through a virtual environment if you're using your own equipment.

If work decides you're worthy of a laptop to take home, that'll have Outlook and Office and whatever specific tools you need on it, but if you're using your own it's more likely than not you'll log in to a virtual desktop in your browser with everything on, and if you stop working there they just deactivate your login, so you lose access to everything.

Prior to Covid Days then yeah, a clause that requires you to delete all information from your own equipment and sometimes not even talk about it in your next job for a number of months was pretty common, especially in engineering jobs where you'd know a now potential competitor's designs and components and stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Local government regulations require that all communications are retained in some form for a minimum of seven years.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

There's another one:

https://twitter.com/WorldCup_of_MPs/status/1306262089233825792?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I continually enjoy that keir starmer is apparently not even a consideration in these polls, being apparently less popular than failed deputy candidates.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

justcola posted:

Which is the most Tory alien? Ferengi? Vogons? Daleks?

The Affront?

quote:

Affront society is described as being "a never-ending, self-perpetuating holocaust of pain and misery", where the strong prey upon weaker species and individuals. Among the Affront's technological accomplishments is an aptitude for genetic engineering, which they developed long before spaceflight. They use this skill almost exclusively on 'prey species', which tend to be changed so as to provide greater sport (and opportunity for sadism) during the communal hunts forming a major part of the Affront culture. Some examples of these changes include altering game animals to experience heightened levels of fear when recognizing the silhouette of an Affronter, or altering beasts of burden to panic when their masters are excited and thus induce them to pull vehicles faster. One of the few changes to their own species was the redesign of their females to make sex painful for them, a choice exemplary of the reasons they are considered abhorrent by the Culture. "Progress through Pain" is a common Affront slogan.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

I continually enjoy that keir starmer is apparently not even a consideration in these polls, being apparently less popular than failed deputy candidates.

He went out in group 3 to Dawn Butler and Philippa Whitford (SNP), so literally yes you are correct :

https://twitter.com/WorldCup_of_MPs/status/1280834040904536065?s=20

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Got to be the baby eaters. (Google that for a legitimately weird as gently caress short story.)

The Affront are a pisstake of British colonial culture.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 16, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like the sword logic from Destiny would explain what the tories think they're about, except in in reality their version is run on bullshit.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel like the sword logic from Destiny would explain what the tories think they're about, except in in reality their version is run on bullshit.

Toryism is a continuous cutting motion.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

Does GDPR mean they have to be able to have those emails on file too?

It doesn't care either way, GDPR just says you have to keep personal info only as long as you need to - in theory, if they actually contained PII, they should have been deleted as soon as possible. However - depending on the industry, exact function, and a number of other factors, they may have been required to keep everything, certain things, or nothing for anywhere between 6 months and 7 years.

However I'm 99.999999999999% certain that the emails should have been sequestered and archived immediately as soon as it was obvious that there was going to be an inquiry, especially as there may have been criminal charges to follow.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Local government regulations require that all communications are retained in some form for a minimum of seven years.

But what about suppliers of subcontractors of contractors of an arms-length organisation?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I experienced a pretty strong moment of derealization today watching people play crazy golf under an iron grey sky in a gale and a pandemic in whitby.

Like genuinely for a moment just completely loving zoned out and thought I was watching some oblivion AI or something doing its usual routine even when there's demons roaming around outside.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

watching people play crazy golf under an iron grey sky in a gale and a pandemic in whitby.

:britain:

minema
May 31, 2011
Had a meeting with managers saying "yes we know there's been a huge increase in covid patients and we've changed 2 wards to be covid wards but it's important we DON'T PANIC" which definitely made everyone start panicking

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Saros posted:

Got to be the baby eaters. (Google that for a legitimately weird as gently caress short story.)

The Affront are a pisstake of British colonial culture.

That's by Eliezer Yudkowsky, who's a really exciting rabbithole of dumb, weird, and crazy. In news that will likely not surprise you, Dominic Cummings is a big fan.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/1306261563121324033?s=21

The replies are incredible.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

He went out in an earlier round. Not sure which.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone should do a national strategy.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

Someone should do a national strategy.

Someone should have a plan but not Labour's plan, we can't advocate for that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's never saying people need like, the actual poo poo you need. Food, shelter, healthcare. It's always some indirect poo poo.

We all need to stand around in shirt and tie and hi vis vest which utterly screams "useless manager who has to visit the work site and isn't happy about it"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
More of the good things, less of the bad, a bold strategy for a gooder tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1306179957438251009?s=19

Lol so it was his kid and it was because of them going back to school Keir you absolute short sighted tool.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the worst thing to happen in 2020 isn't covid, climate change or Brexit

it's the Volvo ad with the extremely terrible cover of Born to be Wild

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

the worst thing to happen in 2020 isn't covid, climate change or Brexit

it's the Volvo ad with the extremely terrible cover of Born to be Wild

There's a trend right now for taking an existing song, gently speaking the lyrics in a soft, breathy voice and playing maybe two notes every few seconds on a piano.

Anyway, it is the shittest musical trend on Earth and even managed to ruin Rhythm of the Night and I hate it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's a trend right now for taking an existing song, gently speaking the lyrics in a soft, breathy voice and playing maybe two notes every few seconds on a piano.

Anyway, it is the shittest musical trend on Earth and even managed to ruin Rhythm of the Night and I hate it.

I was literally just coming back to post about a different one, this time it's Don't Look Back in Anger

cricket ad breaks are just the worst

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Acoustic sad version of upbeat pop song over movie/tv/video game sequel to show things are getting serious now.

Video editing peaked with Majin Vegeta set to Linkn Park and its all been pale imitation since.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkxox9xgL1U

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Covid can do one, they've changed my neurologist appointment next month to a phonecall.

Which is fine I'm not like mad about getting 'worse' care or anything it'll be the same tbh it's just I loving hate the phone like no other thing. :negative:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Presenting, the greatest article ever:

Extinction Rebellion 'go floppy' when arrested, complains senior Met officer posted:

Protesters’ arrest tactic is a ‘pain in the neck’, Sir Stephen House tells committee hearing

One of Britain’s most senior police officers has launched an angry tirade against Extinction Rebellion protesters going “all floppy” when they get arrested.

Sir Stephen House, the deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan police, said the tactic of going limp was a “flipping nuisance” as it required extra officers to drag protesters away.

House told a London assembly police and crime committee hearing: “We have asked them to stop being floppy. And that might seem like a silly thing to say, but when we arrest them and pick them up, they go all floppy, which is why you see four or five officers carrying them away. It’s a complete waste of officers’ time, and a complete pain in the neck.”

House also expressed annoyance at how the tactic made the police look heavy-handed. He said: “The problem with them going floppy and four offices carrying them away [is that it] looks to the general public like police are overreacting here. We’re not making them go floppy. They’re just sort of being a nuisance.”

House said the matter was a “real issue” for policing demonstrations by Extinction Rebellion, which has organised a series of protests across the UK to highlight the climate emergency, including a blockade this month of printing distribution centres used by right-leaning newspapers.

A spokeswoman for XR confirmed that its protesters were encouraged and trained to go limp when being arrested. “It is part of our non-cooperation tactics. It is totally peaceful,” she said.

The tactic is used by many of the older protesters who have joined the demonstrations. Speaking after being arrested at an XR sit-in in Parliament Square last year, Bryn Raven, 77, a retired English teacher, said: “Four officers organised themselves to carry me. I was totally limp.”

House said: “If they could just behave like sensible adults. It is a flipping nuisance. And I think the majority of the public would look at that and go: ‘For goodness sake, you’ve made your point. You’ve been arrested, the police are treating you perfectly fairly, just get on with it.’”

XR held 10 days of protests in central London at the start of September, with the latest figures from the Met showing that 680 people had been arrested.

These were for alleged offences including obstructing the highway, criminal damage and breaching the legal conditions set on the demonstration.

Look if these protesters would just calmly admit defeat and stop trying to disrupt things with their actions, we, the police, would be a lot happier, and isn't that enough to get them to stop it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you can get pills for that over the counter now.

If you go floppy all the time you might have prostrate cancer.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 16, 2020