Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Oh hey, speak of the devil, apparently today's patch is suppose to fix the bug I mentioned earlier about character movement stopping before it should that I complained about like 6 posts ago. Rock on.

I keep thinking about adding in a merc and for whatever reason I have crippling decision anxiety since it's currently most of my money to recruit. Part of me wants a sword and board style person to be able to swap out Valerie, thinking like a Slayer or Paladin, but then part of me also thinks that if I do Slayer I kind of want to do one as a half orc with the orc double axe dual wield style.

I don't know what it is, but the more I look at the Slayer class, the more I want like 3 of them. For a straight melee class they seem incredibly versatile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Amiri's base weapon can be ok, if you like huge single hits, by enlarging her and using vital strike. The -2 doesn't matter so much when only using the highest attack bonus. Good for movement-heavy fights and laughing at damage reduction.

If you use the item crafting mod where you can make and enchant your own oversized weapons, it might even be actually good.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mordecai posted:

Amiri's base weapon can be ok, if you like huge single hits, by enlarging her and using vital strike. The -2 doesn't matter so much when only using the highest attack bonus. Good for movement-heavy fights and laughing at damage reduction.

If you use the item crafting mod where you can make and enchant your own oversized weapons, it might even be actually good.

Ehh, I got her the Trollslayer greataxe and it's pretty much flatly better than her baseline sword for the time being. I'm going to take a guess without knowing any spoilers that the sword is going to upgrade as she progresses through her personal story so I'm not too worried about it for the time being

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 10, 2020

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I prefer polearms for Amiri because of the reach; more AoO, and she can stand behind the tank.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Amiri's big sword is a trap option because the only thing a Large bastard sword adds over a Medium one is 2d8 base damage instead of 1d10 (so average 3.5 damage), and you're taking a -2 penalty to hit for that in a game where every enemy has AC out the wazoo.

Cobalt-60 posted:

I prefer polearms for Amiri because of the reach; more AoO, and she can stand behind the tank.
Reach weapons are also particularly valuable here because tripped creatures immediately try to get up instead of being able to fight from prone, letting you get multiple AoOs on them. Then add to how any creature being attacked by two enemies at once from any direction counts as 'flanked' and putting the Outflank feat on multiple characters and now you've potentially got a whole blender of attacks triggering off one action.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 10, 2020

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Roadie posted:

Amiri's big sword is a trap option because the only thing a Large bastard sword adds over a Medium one is 2d8 base damage instead of 1d10 (so average 3.5 damage), and you're taking a -2 penalty to hit for that in a game where every enemy has AC out the wazoo.

Reach weapons are also particularly valuable here because tripped creatures immediately try to get up instead of being able to fight from prone, letting you get multiple AoOs on them. Then add to how any creature being attacked by two enemies at once from any direction counts as 'flanked' and putting the Outflank feat on multiple characters and now you've potentially got a whole blender of attacks triggering off one action.

Yeah, the crazy AC scaling was like the biggest wake up call I had going back to old D&D after pretty much giving myself over fully to 5e when playing at FLGS / roll20. I get whiplash in this game sometimes going from a dozen fights where I bulldoze everything and am never under any threat to one where I may as well not even be wearing armor because they just cut through Valerie's armor like she's not even there.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, the crazy AC scaling was like the biggest wake up call I had going back to old D&D after pretty much giving myself over fully to 5e when playing at FLGS / roll20. I get whiplash in this game sometimes going from a dozen fights where I bulldoze everything and am never under any threat to one where I may as well not even be wearing armor because they just cut through Valerie's armor like she's not even there.

It's not even an 'old D&D' thing, just the result of the insane scaling that Owlcat did that gives every enemy layered stat boosts on anything past 'Easy' difficulty.

Check out that Str 19, Dex 27, Con 22, Wis 20 trash mob bandit.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Roadie posted:

It's not even an 'old D&D' thing, just the result of the insane scaling that Owlcat did that gives every enemy layered stat boosts on anything past 'Easy' difficulty.

Holy gently caress, that’s a demi-god. :stare:

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
You can just Enlarge Amiri and then she effectively has reach with her bastard sword. And it's pretty in character to have a Giant Angry Amiri.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I play this game on the setting easier than normal, same for kingdom management, and while it can be a cakewalk most times, it’s at least not at all frustrating and I’ve learned a lot about the mechanics.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Roadie posted:

Isn't the standard difficulty such that everything does like -20% listed damage? The fact that Owlcat turbo-boosts their basic punk monsters like that and then dials it back for their baseline difficulty leaves me scratching my head because it makes it seem like they don't know how to balance their game.

I also feel like I'm being gaslit or have confirmation bias because I swear I'm getting :xcom:-ed like crazy. Consistently having sprees of nat 1s. My longest streak has been six 1s in a row on a monster that was at a 3 to hit.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Isn't the standard difficulty such that everything does like -20% listed damage? The fact that Owlcat turbo-boosts their basic punk monsters like that and then dials it back for their baseline difficulty leaves me scratching my head because it makes it seem like they don't know how to balance their game.

I also feel like I'm being gaslit or have confirmation bias because I swear I'm getting :xcom:-ed like crazy. Consistently having sprees of nat 1s. My longest streak has been six 1s in a row on a monster that was at a 3 to hit.

I've bitched regularly in this thread about the RNG in this game. It's crap. Seeing a string of 1s is not impossible. Seeing a string of 1s four times in a play session however tends to be a problem with the RNG.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
There is 3 scenarios here that I can think of that causes this:

1. The programmers failed to program a good 1-20 random number generator

2. They deliberately put in abnormal streaks to gently caress with the players for shits and giggles

3. It is just bad luck

I am gonna go with it is just bad luck.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah you can decompile the game and I don't recall anything weird with their use of random. I think it was just System.Random which isn't like cryptography level random but its used pretty widely since its the base c# implementation and more than good enough for 1-20 rolls.

The only change I can think of making to it would be switching to a shuffle bag* but I don't think it would be a good fit for the game. It works really well in certain games (and is used quite often in them) but in a game with such explicit dice rolls I think it'd look weird to the player.

*shuffle bag is where you put x number of values in a bag and then shuffle it around a lot. Instead of just grabbing a random value you grab the next value in the shuffle bag. When the bag is empty repeat. The advantage is the bag has only x number of 1s so you are guaranteed you will at max get that many 1s in a set. It can make sense to give the player their own shuffle bag especially with it weighted against the bad values (so maybe twice as many 20s as 1s). This often feels more fair since players tend to over recognize bad rolls and always consider it a conspiracy against them. If a game is ever loving with random it's to weight it in your favor.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Hryme posted:

There is 3 scenarios here that I can think of that causes this:

1. The programmers failed to program a good 1-20 random number generator

2. They deliberately put in abnormal streaks to gently caress with the players for shits and giggles

3. It is just bad luck

I am gonna go with it is just bad luck.

Also, given the sheer number of trash mob fights in the game, you're going to hit any possible combination of dice rolls eventually in a way that would take a year's worth of gaming sessions to happen in real life.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Anybody have advice for someone completely new to Pathfinder? I've never played a game with it.

I'm looking for tips on how to build characters. The only thing I want is to have a paladin as my main character.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Quick and small guide:

The best way to play a pure paladin in pathfinder is to use 2-handed weapons. Using 1-handed and shield makes you do a lot less damage and there are classes who tank a lot better and you will start with a companion that is focused on tanking. Joining at the end of the intro dungeon.

Of the subclasses of paladins I think Hospitalier is the best because you get a lot of AoE healing and immune to death effects later which is more useful than more Smite Evils in my opinion.

I would go human as it lets you tank your Int while still getting 2 skill points per level. Of course this ignores roleplaying as the game does not recognice that you are stupid at all so not for everyone.

My suggested stat spread for a human hospitalier would be:

Str 16

Dex 11

Con 14

Int 7

Wis 10

Cha 19

When leveling I would put the stat points you get into Charisma and the skill points into Persuation and Perception.

Notice that I keep Dex and Wis at a relatively low level. Dex because you will wear heavy armor anyway which lowers the impact of dex bonuses and you don't have enough feats to take all you want so makes no sense to raise it to qualify for Dex feats. And Wis is not important because you will get insane bonuses to your will save because of the paladin talent Divine Grace at lv 2.

For feats I would go for Power Attack and Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Fauchard as the two first feats and then (3) Weapon Focus: Fauchard - (5) Outflank - (7) Cornugon Smash (9) Improved Critical: Fauchard - (11) Dazzling Display - 13) Dreadful Carnage. After that I would just take whatever. Maybe Skill Focus: Persuation fits best as it synergizes with Dreadful Carnage and Cornugon Smash.

I chose Fauchard as main weapon because it is the best reach 2-handed weapon in the game. Reach makes you able to melee stuff from a distance which is very useful for hiding behind a tank.

Edit: I forgot about Cornugon Smash

Hryme fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 12, 2020

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Node posted:

Anybody have advice for someone completely new to Pathfinder? I've never played a game with it.

I'm looking for tips on how to build characters. The only thing I want is to have a paladin as my main character.

A general build plan for a paladin that plays to the strengths of the class and avoids some of the footguns in PF:K:

At 1st level: Lots of Strength and Charisma, and put the remainder into Constitution and Dexterity; don't worry about Intelligence or Wisdom. For skills, prioritize Persuasion, then Perception, then Mobility. You only ever care about getting 3 ranks in Mobility total for the defensive fighting bonus. Use your feat slot on Dodge.

At 2nd level: Take a single level in monk with the Scaled Fist archetype, and use the monk bonus feat to take Crane Style.

3rd level and on: Continue taking paladin levels. Aim for the feats Power Attack, Cornugon Smash, Crane Wing, Crane Riposte, and Outflank (in whatever order you feel like).

Your general play style here is to use a two-handed weapon (optionally a two-handed reach weapon), fighting defensively at all times (one you have the Crane Style tree and 3 ranks in Mobility, it's -1 to attack for +5 to AC) and using Power Attack whenever you're already reliably hitting enemies, with Cornugon Smash to debuff enemies with free intimidate attempts and Outflank (preferably on multiple characters) to boost your total number of attacks. Reserve lay on hands pretty much entirely for self-healing (you can use it that way and still attack in the same turn, unlike if you heal another character with it), and use paladin spells for party buffs rather than healing or attack effects.

At mid to high levels, you'll actually ditch armor entirely because there are a bunch of enemies crammed into the endgame that all ignore armor, but the Cha-based AC bonus from scaled fist monk doesn't count as armor, so once you have enough Charisma you're better off relying on that. There's also a unique Lawful Good-only monk robe you can get that provides as much AC as a breastplate despite not counting as armor, which synergizes great with that 1-level dip on a paladin.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 12, 2020

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Oh I forgot about Cornugon Smash in my small guide. Definately get that at lv 7 pushing back the other feats. And taking Scaled Fist as Roadie recommends is more optimal but that is not a pure paladin. If you chose to take 1 level of monk remember that you need higher dex than what I recommended to qualify for the dodge feat. At least 13 but that build benefits from even higher dex.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 12, 2020

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Node posted:

The metagame is complicated and really tough to anyone unfamiliar with this particular edition of Pathfinder.

It's sorta like Baldur's Gate where you need to know a ridiculous amount of poo poo to make your character good.

Also there are a lot of boring trash mob fights. A LOT. Ideally, you want a party that rolls through trash mobs but is good at painstakingly round-by-round taking apart boss fights which are actually hard.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Node posted:

If you want to build a classic knight in shining armor paladin:

Aasimir, Anglekin, aim for a starting 19 STR, 14 CON and 16 CHR. You'll have two points left over, I'd suggest INT.

Your dexterity will be capped by heavy armor and will be maxed quickly with the lowest stat belt for that fairly quickly.
Wisdom is not needed, though I don't like to take penalties on it.

You'll want to chose Power Attack for boosted damage (in exchange of accuracy).

Picking Weapon Focus in a chosen weapon is not a bad idea, but you can also just use whatever and not be restricted to using a specific weapon for that bonus.
If you do want to focus, Longswords is almost always a good idea for paladins as there are good ones later on.

You can go the two handed route and give up a shield for more damage and less defense. Glaives are easy to use reach weapons that will give you range to poke with and let other people (Valerie) do the tanking.

Now, you can get clever and mix classes. Monks work great if you want to forgo armor use Charisma as a secondary physical defense stat. Make sure you pick Scaled Fist monk archtype in this case. This will be harder to get off, but 2 monk levels will give you a ton of non-armor based defense. I'd highly suggest using Staffs in this case as you'll get a bonus attack from the monk's flurry. They will hit hard. (I'd take Dodge and Crane Style for the monk bonus feats in this case). If you do go monk I'd value Dexterity more, as you won't be using armor to hinder it. You still want a high Strength though for both hitting and damaging things.

Mixing other classes is not really recommended as Paladins tend to be all in or only taken for 2-3 levels. Monks are the exception as they combo so well.

In Pathfinder paladins are most useful against Evil targets, their smite turns them into a wrecking ball, though has very limited uses per day.
Against non-evil targets they are poor fighters.

Here's a link with the builds.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h2jutM2KTPnwooQMzNFoOcMWweSJamOWQ96JQvNHU2Q/edit?usp=sharing

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So did my game glitch out or is this normal?

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....&letterbox=true

I just finished the hilltop event after the Womb. In the runup to the hilltop event all these clouds showed up and I can't see the paths and trails now. Is there a setting that turns this poo poo off or does it go away in a little bit? It persists through quitting out of the game and reopening. If it doesn't go away is my game bugged?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

So did my game glitch out or is this normal?

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....&letterbox=true

I just finished the hilltop event after the Womb. In the runup to the hilltop event all these clouds showed up and I can't see the paths and trails now. Is there a setting that turns this poo poo off or does it go away in a little bit? It persists through quitting out of the game and reopening. If it doesn't go away is my game bugged?

The patch Owlcat pushed through today caused this bug to begin appearing.

It happened in my game too after I hopped back into this. It's happening to everyone.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm finally powering through this game pretty well and having fun since the turn-based patch. Some of the difficulty spikes are a little insane though. I got around to doing a quest I had lying around for a couple of levels, figured I should knock it out (kill some Will-o-Wisps in a well, sounds easy enough since I fought a bunch of them nearby and won handily enough). Well, I pryed open the well and was instantly TPKed by like four surprise turns of devastating AOEs from the 11th level Wisps that appeared out of nowhere. Dick move, imaginary DM. It also took me four attempts to do the Tartuk and Hargulka fight because the first three I got completely pasted until I managed to get off a Hideous Laughter on one and a Hold Person on the other, then I won without taking any damage. The RNG is really really real.

Also glad to hear the cloud thing is actually a bug and will presumably get patched. I thought maybe I triggered some story thing that caused sinister clouds to roll in or something and would just have to deal with it for awhile.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Volte posted:

I'm finally powering through this game pretty well and having fun since the turn-based patch. Some of the difficulty spikes are a little insane though. I got around to doing a quest I had lying around for a couple of levels, figured I should knock it out (kill some Will-o-Wisps in a well, sounds easy enough since I fought a bunch of them nearby and won handily enough). Well, I pryed open the well and was instantly TPKed by like four surprise turns of devastating AOEs from the 11th level Wisps that appeared out of nowhere. Dick move, imaginary DM. It also took me four attempts to do the Tartuk and Hargulka fight because the first three I got completely pasted until I managed to get off a Hideous Laughter on one and a Hold Person on the other, then I won without taking any damage. The RNG is really really real.

Also glad to hear the cloud thing is actually a bug and will presumably get patched. I thought maybe I triggered some story thing that caused sinister clouds to roll in or something and would just have to deal with it for awhile.

Bring Mass Resist thunder on one of your clerics or the alchemist. Wisps only do thunder damage so mass resist thunder will completely neuter them even if you have problems hitting them.

Wisps are kind of fuckers in general, Once you figure out the mass resist thunder trick they aren't threatening, they are just a big pain in the rear end to hit and take forever to fight.

Edit: Gramted I'm not terribly much further than you, but Hargulka is like the hardest fight I've been through by far for where I'm at. When I fought him I got lucky and got a fear off on him so I could finish off Tartuk and got some free time for my dog to get some charge attacks while he was running. Otherwise during normal 1 on 1 fighting he would consistently kill Val in 1 round from full health and full buffs. He's obnoxiously strong.

Depending on how long it takes Owlcat to fix the world map fog bug, I might try and start up a new game to try and do the early game different, maybe try and do a Chaotic Stupid Druid or the Inquisitor variant that gets a pet, or maybe like a Orc Double Axe Slayer/ranger.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 16, 2020

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Will-o-Wisp fights are hilariously dickish, but they only do a single elemental damage type so a Communal Resist Energy is very useful. Once you hit 7th or whatever it is when you reduce every attack by 20 wisps are almost a non-issue.

Also, yes, save-or-suck RNG goes both ways and layering multiple save-or-suck effects is a good way to win fights on the non-absurd difficulties. My character was a Shackleborn Tiefling Sorcerer, so I could layer Web + Grease from level 1. I kept layering Web + Grease until level 12 or so. Grease remains the most overpowered spell of the genre.

At the >Hard difficulties this apparently becomes less of a thing: monster saves get buffed far enough that they typically only fail DCs on a 1 if you actually crank all the difficulty settings to max. The solution is to only use fireball-type spells that still do something when they save. This sounds incredibly boring and I haven't tried it, but some people clearly enjoy suffering.

[E:] f;b.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Investing in ways to hit semi-invisible things is going to be increasingly useful as you play the game so keep an eye out for spells/feats/items that help.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The actual answer to the insane difficulties (not that I play there) is to bring a Kineticist (or several) with Earth access, and murder everything with Deadly Earth. Huge AOE no save damage that continues ticking for multiple rounds? Why yes, I'll take that.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Investing in ways to hit semi-invisible things is going to be increasingly useful as you play the game so keep an eye out for spells/feats/items that help.

Yeah, invest in blind fighting on your main fighters by level 9 or so. You'll need it. Also bring a way to bring at least one immune to blindness to the second hill fight or you'll get trapped in some save or suck bullshit.

Edit ^^^^^^^^ Earth Kinetic Knights are also apparently turbo bullshit broken because they get absurdly powerful free trip attacks.

I think part of the reason why this game can feel so bullshit at times and like the invisible AI DM is super adversarial is because it's balanced around the crazy munchkin types who min/max to extreme degrees. They expect that you're intimately familiar with how the classes interact with each other and how to get peak performance via multiclassing and creative spell selection.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 16, 2020

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Kineticists are generally pretty busted, far as I can tell. I gave Kalikke ice because ~theme~ and kept her as pure Kin, neither of which to my knowledge is optimal in any particular way. Still did hilarious 300 damage alphastrikes with endgame gear, maximize and empower. Really, all the NPCs could do work at the end without me doing anything with their builds. About the only one I found underpowered was Jaethal; I never did figure out how to make her flavor of Inquisitor anything but Bad Cleric when done pure. I guess I avoided Regongar too, more because I found Magus annoying to use than because I found it weak as such.

Of course, my pure Sorcerer main was the most broken character in the party by far. I could oneshot most fights on Challenging once I got Stormbolts plus maximize + empower charges on gear, since I did hilarious 300 damage alphastrikes on entire rooms instead. I think the overall balance issues are mostly just Pathfinder rules being taken as written, never a good idea in an actual rpg.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

games kind of a struggle until you can casually caste haste and communal resist x spells

then 30 hours later you hit the wild hunt and its like goddammit

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

There are spells that protect against the wild hunt bullshit (Holy Aura, Freedom of Movement, etc), but like with the will-o-wisps the game wants you to die a couple of times and scour the combat log to figure out what you needed to know to counter this time.

Once you counter that thing the wild hunt falls over like anything else ... until you run into some that cast dispel magic, or accompanied by medusas or something. Mainly I just thought their area went on for too long, depopulating it felt a lot like work once I'd read the combat log and done the needful. Buff, kill, repeat.

Introducing new fae is the sort of situation where a GM would, say, have spent time describing the electricity arcing from the will-o-wisp or informed whoever played Jubilost that he knew about some wild hunt bullshit from studying the first world. Kingmaker throws you to the wolves and expects you to save/reload to figure it out. It is a solution, if not an elegant one.

I appreciate that at least the blind hilltop fights are clearly labeled as "new fae bullshit has arrived, check it out!". Usually you'll have plenty of saves available from just before they kill you so it's not a time loss when they do.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Xerophyte posted:

Kingmaker throws you to the wolves and expects you to save/reload to figure it out. It is a solution, if not an elegant one.

I don't like this at all and I really don't like how this game either has trash fight or party wipe fight that you can reload, apply the right resistances and buffs and now it's a trash fight too. But it was always like that for D&D games, wasn't it? Golbox games didn't have any great tactical depth too, it was about bringing a rock to the enemy armed with scissors.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

ilitarist posted:

I don't like this at all and I really don't like how this game either has trash fight or party wipe fight that you can reload, apply the right resistances and buffs and now it's a trash fight too. But it was always like that for D&D games, wasn't it? Golbox games didn't have any great tactical depth too, it was about bringing a rock to the enemy armed with scissors.

Pretty much. The rules of D&D and derivatives are made to be easy to evaluate at a gaming table, easy for players and GMs to mod on the fly and fast paced (for a 70s wargame, anyhow). I think the key success is in the modability: my skill + stuff in my favor + d20 vs. difficulty of task + stuff in their favor is a simple enough formula that you can come up with on the fly modifiers, add house rules and new stuff and players can mostly grasp what it means. I have a sorcerer with Dex and Con-based casting in my current group (which plays 13th Age, but same thing), which was a matter of slightly modifying an existing feat and getting the GM's blessing.

It's not a good ruleset in a video game, where ease of evaluation and pace at a table are irrelevant and the rules are enforced by a computer rules engine with no sense of nuance and no ability to make stuff up on the fly. Computer implementations don't use any of the benefits of the system, but do get all the flaws.

Most obviously: d20 games are balanced around spells and attacks being close to 50/50 affairs. Even when it works this is very unpredictable in a way that isn't conductive to reliable tactics. Moreover, a lot of the rules seriously distort if you do stack enough modifiers to come close towards always hit or always miss, and with just 18 points of "resolution" to play with it's easy to end up there. The lack of ... mathematical nuance, I suppose, is why preparing with the right buffs will completely turn fights. Kingmaker's very hard modes really embrace this, as mentioned: you will not be succeeding on any offensive combat checks for most of the game on rolls not 20 or close to it, and the game becomes figuring out how to abuse rule loopholes to play scissors in the game of rocks.

Of course, computer-D&D-is-bad is not a universal sentiment. It's also not a deal breaker or anything: I thought Kingmaker was a really good dungeon crawler, and it wouldn't have happened in not-Pathfinder.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Berke Negri posted:

games kind of a struggle until you can casually caste haste and communal resist x spells

then 30 hours later you hit the wild hunt and its like goddammit

Encountering the wild hunt had my questioning my life decisions. Died several times before I tried cheesing them with pit spells which weren't really effective. Now necromancy that targets fortitude, had my doom cleric just giving all those guys fingers of death.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah you can decompile the game and I don't recall anything weird with their use of random. I think it was just System.Random which isn't like cryptography level random but its used pretty widely since its the base c# implementation and more than good enough for 1-20 rolls.

The only change I can think of making to it would be switching to a shuffle bag* but I don't think it would be a good fit for the game. It works really well in certain games (and is used quite often in them) but in a game with such explicit dice rolls I think it'd look weird to the player.

*shuffle bag is where you put x number of values in a bag and then shuffle it around a lot. Instead of just grabbing a random value you grab the next value in the shuffle bag. When the bag is empty repeat. The advantage is the bag has only x number of 1s so you are guaranteed you will at max get that many 1s in a set. It can make sense to give the player their own shuffle bag especially with it weighted against the bad values (so maybe twice as many 20s as 1s). This often feels more fair since players tend to over recognize bad rolls and always consider it a conspiracy against them. If a game is ever loving with random it's to weight it in your favor.

Systems to artificially normalise dice rolls are good since encounters are short enough that you're not going to be rolling hundreds of times so that it will even out naturally, and a handful of very good or bad rolls in a row can kill you or make a tough fight trivial.

True randomness rarely adds anything interesting to a single player experience.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm not saying there's any RNG-fiddling going on in this game but I fought a pack of Tatzlwyrms at the Swamp Witch's Hut last night and between them, they rolled like 35 numbers between 1 and 3. It was kind of surreal seeing them all do five attacks on me and all miss with like 1, 3, 3, 1, 2. At least it worked in my favour so I wasn't yelling :argh: Rigged RNG :argh: but I like to imagine the Tatzlwyrms were.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I broke my policy of not looking ahead in the story and just searched for the wild hunt and man :smithicide: Who at Owlcat thought that was a good idea?

At least I can look forward to the fact that I have that one heavy mace that does 2d6 damage and has permanent Freedom of Movement on it and the knowledge that it's going to be carried into the endgame.

My main character is level 10 now and while my main character (a vanilla magus) is really taking off and incredibly powerful, but I also feel like I can already see the point where they taper off from here. Especially now that my full casters are rolling in level 5 spells and getting into the really cool stuff, he seems like he's going to be behind the curve in terms of cool toys. I got my second mercenary (a Sylvian sorcerer with a big cat and loaded to the brim with summon spells) and I'm just kind of not feeling it - when the summoning spam was used against us by that one Goblin Shaman in the Goblin Fort, it worked because he was wildly overleveled and throwing summon Monster 7s at a group of level 9s and creating an impossible logjam that had to be dealt with by AoE fear from Harrim and Linzee. Monster Mashing seems to be much less effective when used against the enemy since I don't wildly outlevel what I'm fighting like Owlcat frequently does to me, and all they wind up doing is creating logjams that prevent my melee guys to get in on people.

Also I think I built my Octavia wrong because she just doesn't feel effective at all. I tried leaning into the rogue/wizard multiclass and went full bore into Arcane Trickster and it is kind of the worst of both worlds. She's a tier and a half behind in terms of spell development because of the rogue levels, it's a big pain in the rear end to set up her sneak attacks and either involves mobbing the guy or pre-loading on crowd control or using the extremely limited trickster class feature. Sneak attack specifically only works on touch attacks so a lot of the tentpole mid level wizard spells (like fireball/lightning bolt) don't work with it and I've gotta wait that much longer for her to get Disintegrate with the multiclass. Her BAB sucks so there is basically no point to giving her a crossbow - if she is using it because everything is out of range or she's out of touch attacks you're basically already hosed.

It's sad because I like both her and Regongar, but I barely use either (In Regongar's case it's less so anything with the class moreso than my MC is a Magus already, so they're filling a similar role with incredibly similar spell loadouts with the only real difference being my MC is a Finesse Estoc wielder and Regongar is built for strength)

Edit: My urge to play a shifter druid is increasing the more I think about it, but I think I'm going to save that for Baldur's Gate 3. 5e shifter druids are loving RAD and I want to see what they do with it.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 16, 2020

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

I broke my policy of not looking ahead in the story and just searched for the wild hunt and man :smithicide: Who at Owlcat thought that was a good idea?

At least I can look forward to the fact that I have that one heavy mace that does 2d6 damage and has permanent Freedom of Movement on it and the knowledge that it's going to be carried into the endgame.

My main character is level 10 now and while my main character (a vanilla magus) is really taking off and incredibly powerful, but I also feel like I can already see the point where they taper off from here. Especially now that my full casters are rolling in level 5 spells and getting into the really cool stuff, he seems like he's going to be behind the curve in terms of cool toys. I got my second mercenary (a Sylvian sorcerer with a big cat and loaded to the brim with summon spells) and I'm just kind of not feeling it - when the summoning spam was used against us by that one Goblin Shaman in the Goblin Fort, it worked because he was wildly overleveled and throwing summon Monster 7s at a group of level 9s and creating an impossible logjam that had to be dealt with by AoE fear from Harrim and Linzee. Monster Mashing seems to be much less effective when used against the enemy since I don't wildly outlevel what I'm fighting like Owlcat frequently does to me, and all they wind up doing is creating logjams for my melee guys to get in on people.

Also I think I built my Octavia wrong because she just doesn't feel effective at all. I tried leaning into the rogue/wizard multiclass and went full bore into Arcane Trickster and it is kind of the worst of both worlds. She's a tier and a half behind in terms of spell development because of the rogue levels, it's a big pain in the rear end to set up her sneak attacks and either involves mobbing the guy or pre-loading on crowd control or using the extremely limited trickster class feature. Sneak attack specifically only works on touch attacks so a lot of the tentpole mid level wizard spells (like fireball/lightning bolt) don't work with it and I've gotta wait that much longer for her to get Disintegrate with the multiclass. Her BAB sucks so there is basically no point to giving her a crossbow - if she is using it because everything is out of range or she's out of touch attacks you're basically already hosed.

It's sad because I like both her and Regongar, but I barely use either (In Regongar's case it's less so anything with the class moreso than my MC is a Magus already, so they're filling a similar role with incredibly similar spell loadouts with the only real difference being my MC is a Finesse Estoc wielder and Regongar is built for strength)

Octavia only needs to get the 'Accomplished sneak attacker' feat to get into Arcane trickster. If you gave her extra rogue levels, then yes, she will lag too much instead of being just one level behind a normal wizard. You can still make her the arcane spells buffbot, but it underutilizes her.You should respec her in that case.

Secondly, you have more ranged attack spells before you reach disintigrate. Scorching ray, Snowball, acid arrowm your cantrips etc. So you can have her autocast acid splash and unload Scorching rays. Scrolls/wands work too. Heck, you can metamagic Scorching Ray to fill spell slots up to level 5 if you wish.
Also sneak attack is very easy to proc in this game.
And that's not even counting her ability when she hits 10 levels of arcane trickster where every spell can proc crits.

As for Regongar, one option is to simply not care much for his spellcasting potential after a certain and focus on making him a melee DPS. You can give him 4 levels of Dragon Disciple for the stat boosts and then make him a 2-handed warrior or a Slayer. With his CHA, he will work great for an intimidation build. You can give him a level of thug too. Give him a reach weapon and enlarge him so he stays out of harm's way. And you will still have a few casts of mirror image to survive stray hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

You can also do a nice Ranger doomstack. Pets are pretty broken in this game and can tank most enemies while your Rangers just rain down arrows on all of them.