Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Is this actually true? I read this repeated on forums, but there doesn't seem to be any source.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-11-28-fi-4993-story.html

for the newton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

burning swine posted:

Ryzen on the horizon

Event for Ryzen

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

TerminalRaptor posted:

Event for Ryzen

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

Some analysts speculated that Apple might be eyeing ARM chips for use in a future notebook-sized computer, but Tessler declined comment on future products.

hmm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
being back SPARC

burning swine
May 26, 2004

when it comes to threads ripped there's only one chip equipped
ain't no compromisin' in this ryzen

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Pfft let me know when AMD supports blast processing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

echinopsis posted:

being back SPARC

run BeOS on it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BeOS

Do SPARC

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

chaos option AmigaOS, for the freaks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TerminalRaptor posted:

why don't you process THIS blast (bends over and grabs ankles)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

TerminalRaptor posted:

amdoes what ain’tel

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Apple silicon is actually PowerPC

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

TerminalRaptor posted:

The 16-Core Megashock!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

3dnow vs mmx who wore it better

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Cyrix 6x86

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I remember getting a Sega-Genesis-cartridge-era pentium with MMX and man if there was ever a thing that didn’t matter even a bit that was purely marketing hype it was MMX.

I’m sure it did something but gently caress if anyone who actually used it could tell

MMX was Intels Blast Processing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the cartridges were pentium II and the earlier generation pentium III

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I remember getting a Sega-Genesis-cartridge-era pentium with MMX and man if there was ever a thing that didn’t matter even a bit that was purely marketing hype it was MMX.

I’m sure it did something but gently caress if anyone who actually used it could tell

MMX was Intels Blast Processing

I remember seeing this running at comp usa with marketing stuff proclaiming that it was mmx enabled and being super impressed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViRPIlGTdtQ

but that's all I ever knew about it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mmx did not matter for the first few years for the usual reason; new hardware is pointless until software uses it. in some more absolute sense though mmx was only useless in the broader sense that computers are useless.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 15, 2020

pram
Jun 10, 2001
mmx lives on in avx dont worry. intel is still providing the proprietary instructions that maybe, possibly do something

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

a large number of programs you use likely use mmx instructions now because eh, why not

also 3dnow was a superset of mmx

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

akadajet posted:

I remember seeing this running at comp usa with marketing stuff proclaiming that it was mmx enabled and being super impressed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViRPIlGTdtQ

but that's all I ever knew about it

Man, I was just thinking of pod. I remember they had a ton of additional cars and courses you could download. Nowadays that'd all be paid dlc.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

they made a big deal about unreal using mmx for their software renderer, but by the time it actually came out most systems that could run it had a hardware 3d accelerator

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
yeah, the reason mmx was so useless is that it was designed to accelerate software 3d rendering but it came out right as dedicated 3d graphics cards started becoming common. also it only worked with integer operations, again right as 3d graphics settled on using floats. also to avoid operating systems having to rewrite their context switching code to support new registers for mmx they just aliased the mmx registers into the x87 register file which resulted in all kinds of weirdness:

Wikipedia posted:

To avoid compatibility problems with the context switch mechanisms in existing operating systems, the MMX registers are aliases for the existing x87 FPU registers, which context switches would already save and restore. Unlike the x87 registers, which behave like a stack, the MMX registers are each directly addressable (random access).

Any operation involving the floating point stack might also affect the MMX registers and vice versa, so this aliasing makes it difficult to work with floating point and SIMD operations in the same application.[10] To maximize performance, programmers often used the processor exclusively in one mode or the other, deferring the relatively slow switch between them as long as possible.

Each 64-bit MMX register corresponds to the mantissa part of an 80-bit x87 register. The upper 16 bits of the x87 registers thus go unused in MMX, and these bits are all set to ones, making them NaNs or infinities in the floating point representation. This can be used by applications to decide whether a particular register's content is intended as floating point or SIMD data.

sse2 was really where intel finally got vector instructions (and really floating point instructions in general) right for the first time. probably the best decision amd made with x64 was to drop x87 and just make sse2 part of the standard instruction set.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ssse3 is better because it has a higher number and an extra s, which the idiots in charge of sse4 clearly didn't think of

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

the extra 's' stands for 'sssse'

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
x86 is layers upon layers of garbage

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

dsyp

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

i've heard this many times, and i don't doubt it, but i'm curious: if the billions spent developing x86 chips had been spent on different architecture, what would we have now that we don't today?

i.e. would computers be 20% faster, would they use half the power? obviously this is extremely speculative but i'm curious as to what the cost of x86 cruft is

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
alternately: if some other arch had won out early on, would we now be complaining about that arch by now?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

alternately: if some other arch had won out early on, would we now be complaining about that arch by now?

yes

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

i've heard this many times, and i don't doubt it, but i'm curious: if the billions spent developing x86 chips had been spent on different architecture, what would we have now that we don't today?

i.e. would computers be 20% faster, would they use half the power? obviously this is extremely speculative but i'm curious as to what the cost of x86 cruft is

I think compilers account for the quirks as best they can so unless your writing assembly you don't have to worry about the madness, but it's the equivalent of any legacy system where it works but it you have to look behind the covers and understand what is going on God save your soul.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sometime post the Itanium sales chart.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

it's less that x86 won and more that "endlessly booking bits on to the existing instruction set" won. but it's also that x86 won.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

they might be faster, but less power id say no. the competing architectures were all really for unix servers (sparc, power, mips) and obviously from the G5 debacle power consumption was not anyones concern but apple

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

josh04 posted:

it's less that x86 won and more that "endlessly booking bits on to the existing instruction set" won. but it's also that x86 won.

The hardware analog to a web browser engine.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
intel has the cash to ad blitz the hell out of some nonsense like avx 512 but they lack their cold cynical hearts that they had in the 90’s. breaking out the breakdancing clean suit guys and hyping up “Advanced Vector X” technology instead of Core i7 n+1 gen will move way more units because people are still idiot rubes, now more than ever.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
intel really needs a chip that does something even more obscene to a thread than just rip them

threadraper?

threadshredder? threadmincer? threadobliterator?

threadfucker yep that’s it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
did you used to write for penny arcade about 15 years ago?