Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I feel like the fact that you can buy a Series 3 or a Series 6, but not a 4 or 5 tells me that there is not enough change from a Series 4 to Series 6 watch, so I will rock on for one more year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Came here to make a “lol @ $100 braided loop band” post but looks like everyone already beat me to it. Upgrading my s3 to the s6. I went with the new graphite stainless steel, I prefer it over the old space black so I’m happy with that change. I’m curious how many they had ready for Friday as I ordered an hour after the event and have a delivery window of 25th-30th.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think I'm gonna wait one more generation as my S3 is still perfectly fine, but the SE announcement is a bit of a surprise for me. Very tempting at that price point, I don't give a poo poo about the extra health features and always-on display.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nerox posted:

I feel like the fact that you can buy a Series 3 or a Series 6, but not a 4 or 5 tells me that there is not enough change from a Series 4 to Series 6 watch, so I will rock on for one more year.

Isn’t that what the SE is now?

It really doesn’t make any sense, the iPhone SE uses an older chassis design, but with the Watch we have the 6, the 3 (gonna get 1 more year out of mine :toot: ), and then this in-between model neutered-6 (6R?) that isn’t the 5 or the 4, it’s the SE.

I guess they didn’t want to resurrect the 4 but they wanted its rough equivalent in the product stack since the 6 and 5 presumably wouldn’t have enough distance between them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How does the always on display work really? Does it affect battery life?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

It does, but you can always turn it off and get a boost. It’s a small boost, however, so you’re looking at more like an extra hour or two instead of multi-day longevity.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Personally, I noticed next to 0 difference in battery life when I turned it off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

I think I'm gonna wait one more generation as my S3 is still perfectly fine, but the SE announcement is a bit of a surprise for me. Very tempting at that price point, I don't give a poo poo about the extra health features and always-on display.

This is where I’m at.

I might wait till we see the 6 on some discounts though. I saw some pretty decent deals on the 5 later in its life so I expect the same for the 6.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's a OLED screen. It dims the display and sets more pixels to full black and reduces the refresh rate to 1/sec. This all saves on battery.

It detects you looking at it like the older watches but since the time is always visible, it's more glanceable and the experience of looking at it is better. There are lots of situations where I can look at my watch without doing the cartoonish gesture to wake it up.

For me, the jump to always-on was significant, but now I'm pretty satisfied with the watch and not sure what else they'd add to it that'd make me want to update, so I expect to stick here for awhile.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I’m feeling pretty set on upgrading from my S3 because I’m really sick of janitoring the storage on this thing. It wouldn’t let me install the watchOS 7 GM even with all my music and apps deleted. :negative:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What are the benefits to having an O2 meter?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

What are the benefits to having an O2 meter?

You can get your O2 level the first time you strap it to your wrist or whenever you're showing it off to your friends. Much like the ECG functionality.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Who knows what practical use it has now, but having more health sensors on your body at all times is probably a good thing in the long term. I wonder what sort of unique medical data correlations someone could find with all the wealth of biometric data from smartwatches.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

god this blows posted:

You can get your O2 level the first time you strap it to your wrist or whenever you're showing it off to your friends. Much like the ECG functionality.

As someone with absurd anxiety, I get comfort from using the EKG knowing my heart isn’t exploding.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

As someone with absurd anxiety, I get comfort from using the EKG knowing my heart isn’t exploding.

Then the O2 check will give you rough oxygen percentage of your blood.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
In the future the AEDs will be on drones and your watch will send info wirelessly to local drones so all the horriblly out of shape people that decide to go snowshoeing with their family or whatever will have drones shadowing them. Roboshaming.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think oxygen saturation is a good indicator of respiratory issues like the ones caused by COVID-19. But in general it's just another sensor you can attach to your body to monitor. I'm fine with my Series 4 still but if I was a healthcare worker or otherwise constantly potentially exposed to SARS-CoV-2 I might upgrade just for that.

Also for people buying the new watches Best Buy offers 6 months of Apple Fitness+ for free if that matters to you.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
SpO2 isn't very useful for a typical user, it'll just be 95-100 if you're healthy. If it dips below that and you feel ok it's more likely the reading is bad due to bad positioning temporarily or the wrist not being a great spot for reading it or the Apple Watch sensor not being great. And if you don't feel ok, you should seek help based on your symptoms, not your non-medical-device watch.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Has the heart rate sensor been updated since the S3 or is it still the same one? I'm debating upgrading from the S3 to the S6 because I like the improved health monitoring stuff (esp. as someone who's constantly worried they got COVID), but I'm waffling back and forth on whether or not I really need it.

That ~$17 bucks a month for 24 months with no interest on Apple Card is so drat tempting though...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Has the heart rate sensor been updated since the S3 or is it still the same one? I'm debating upgrading from the S3 to the S6 because I like the improved health monitoring stuff (esp. as someone who's constantly worried they got COVID), but I'm waffling back and forth on whether or not I really need it.

That ~$17 bucks a month for 24 months with no interest on Apple Card is so drat tempting though...

It was updated on the 4. I think you should upgrade.

I'm conflicted now and am thinking maybe I should just stick with my 4 for another year.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 16, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

It was updated on the 4. I think you should upgrade.

I probably will. I'm basically at that point where I know I want to upgrade and now I'm just coming up with more reasons to justify it to myself.

Speaking of which, trying to install watchOS 7 on my series 3, I get a notice that I need at least 3.1GB free to do so. And, well:

So i guess I'm never getting watchOS 7 on this watch? (I don't know what those 15 pictures are since when i go to the photos app it says there are no photos.)

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I probably will. I'm basically at that point where I know I want to upgrade and now I'm just coming up with more reasons to justify it to myself.

Speaking of which, trying to install watchOS 7 on my series 3, I get a notice that I need at least 3.1GB free to do so. And, well:

So i guess I'm never getting watchOS 7 on this watch? (I don't know what those 15 pictures are since when i go to the photos app it says there are no photos.)
I am in the exact same place. Ugh. Maybe I'll try re-pairing...

e: someone on Reddit said to do a hard reset by holding both buttons for 5-10 seconds, but this only got me to 3.0 GB. We’ll see if it works.

e2: well it got the job done at least. I need a bigger watch.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 17, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah I just unpaired and it cleared up space for me. From 1gb available to 4gb.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Zero One posted:

Yeah I just unpaired and it cleared up space for me. From 1gb available to 4gb.

Yeah, this worked for me too. Gonna have to re-add all my Apple Pay cards, but the update is downloading to watch! (2 hours remaining ugh)

Was worried I would lose my most important custom watch face in the process, but thankfully it’s still there

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thinking about it, I decided to stick with my 4 another year. The O2 monitor doesn’t seem that useful at the moment and next year will probably bring a redesign.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Something else for the space issue on old S3s, check if any apps are showing as installed in usage but not in the iPhone watch app list of installed apps.

This accounted for enough room to squeak by the 3.1 GB requirement. Got me from 2.5 to 3.2.

It’s disconcerting the list of installed apps wasn’t the same as what I was seeing in the app collection on my watch. Probably some apps i tried downloading solely from the Watch App Store.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

SeANMcBAY posted:

Thinking about it, I decided to stick with my 4 another year. The O2 monitor doesn’t seem that useful at the moment and next year will probably bring a redesign.

I’m sticking with my 4 too although the o2 seems especially appropriate to me these days. I’m going back to work in close proximity to people so I’m extra paranoid.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Updated to watchOS 7 and the date is gone off my Infograph Modular face and there’s no option to turn it back on? Is it just me?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sourdough posted:

SpO2 isn't very useful for a typical user, it'll just be 95-100 if you're healthy. If it dips below that and you feel ok it's more likely the reading is bad due to bad positioning temporarily or the wrist not being a great spot for reading it or the Apple Watch sensor not being great. And if you don't feel ok, you should seek help based on your symptoms, not your non-medical-device watch.

I fall in that demographic of "not a typical user". I use the health features to log data points for my cardiologist to pull up from the Health app.

It's likely as accurate as most of the *good* consumer grade SpO2 meters (not the $30 crap, the stuff that runs $80+). I'll definitely be comparing its readings to my finger device.

Violator
May 15, 2003

If you're using an S3 and on the fence about upgrading, one thing to consider is using Apple's trade-in service and you can get $95 for your S3 if it's in good condition. That cuts the price of the SE by almost 1/3 and the amount you get will only decrease over time. Combined with the 0% APR on Apple Card and you can get a newer model for very little per month.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Violator posted:

If you're using an S3 and on the fence about upgrading, one thing to consider is using Apple's trade-in service and you can get $95 for your S3 if it's in good condition. That cuts the price of the SE by almost 1/3 and the amount you get will only decrease over time. Combined with the 0% APR on Apple Card and you can get a newer model for very little per month.

Which S3? I have to assume that’s the one with LTE. i expected them to give me $20 for my S3.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

Which S3? I have to assume that’s the one with LTE. i expected them to give me $20 for my S3.

You can plug in your serial number to check if you go through the buy process.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch/44mm-gps-silver-aluminum-cream-sport-loop-regular

Under apple care there’s a “add a trade in” link. Apparently my S4 GPS 44mm aluminum is worth $140 to them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can plug in your serial number to check if you go through the buy process.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch/44mm-gps-silver-aluminum-cream-sport-loop-regular

Under apple care there’s a “add a trade in” link. Apparently my S4 GPS 44mm aluminum is worth $140 to them.

Huh.. well thanks.

$215 for an SE actually isn't a bad deal.

Gonna have to think about this now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't wait too long. When I did the trade in to get my S4 the tool said I'd get like $100 for the S3 and by the time I got into the Apple store to actually buy the thing the value was like $25. It took a week or two for me to get in because I was waiting for stock.

Or maybe my failure was doing it in person and I should have done it through the mail. But the lesson is those trade in prices are not fixed at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Don't wait too long. When I did the trade in to get my S4 the tool said I'd get like $100 for the S3 and by the time I got into the Apple store to actually buy the thing the value was like $25. It took a week or two for me to get in because I was waiting for stock.

Or maybe my failure was doing it in person and I should have done it through the mail. But the lesson is those trade in prices are not fixed at all.

Oh well poo poo. I guess I'm doing it then.

If I wait and get the 6 on sale my 3 is just gonna collect dust in a drawer.

$245 after taxes for newer watch that should last me as long as my 3 did.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 17, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Selling on swappa is easy and gets you more than Apple pays.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I'm just gonna sell on Swappa and buy a refurb S5 if/when the space gray pops up. I can't pass on the AOD.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Welp, the Memoji watch face is only available on S4 and up watches.

Slowly sinking into obscelence.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Did they move the Clear All from the long press to the top of the list? God drat that’s annoying.

Also, I can’t quick change the app list with a long press anymore? Worst watch os ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Does anyone know you can typically buy Watches on release day from apple.com for in store pickup later that day? Currently the only options are for shipping, and I am impatient. Not sure how COVID affects this ether.