Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I finished my initial quick-read through the Trouble with Peace.

Holy poo poo, that was a wild ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Warden posted:

Didn’t the book come out like 8 hours ago? That’s dedication.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

RCarr posted:

Didn’t the book come out like 8 hours ago? That’s dedication.

17 hours ago on GooglePlay here.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Since i'm not leaving the house for the foreseeable future, I treated myself to the hardcover edition (signed, apparently, which seems kind of meaningless when you can just order it online but it was the same price as the normal edition so whatever). Gonna have to wait a few days to dig in but it's gonna be worth it!

staguar
Aug 29, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Since i'm not leaving the house for the foreseeable future, I treated myself to the hardcover edition (signed, apparently, which seems kind of meaningless when you can just order it online but it was the same price as the normal edition so whatever). Gonna have to wait a few days to dig in but it's gonna be worth it!

Who's selling it autographed?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

staguar posted:

Who's selling it autographed?

I got mine from Barnes & Noble (online store). It's the same price as the non-signed version so I have my doubts about how special this signature is really going to be but I don't really care, I just wanted the hardcover edition of the book, as a treat

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-trouble-with-peace-joe-abercrombie/1135984684?ean=9780316591720

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
halfway through and its pretty good

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Warden posted:

Goddamn speed reader

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I don't get my audible credit til tomorrow. It's killing me right now. I didn't plan this out well because I didn't realize the next book was dropping already.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Artonos posted:

I don't get my audible credit til tomorrow. It's killing me right now. I didn't plan this out well because I didn't realize the next book was dropping already.

You can return any book and get a credit back.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I wasn't the biggest fan of a little hatred but just finished this and it just feels like set up for this book. Really good stuff the pacing is perfect, can't wait for the next one.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

I'm only a little way in but book is good.

It does get straight into it from the get go. My kindle version first opened up to the big chapter heading PART IV and I thought it had skipped most of the book somehow lol
I had re-read the first book not too long ago but I was still a bit confused at the start if Orso was the new king or the old one. Rikke also has confusing chapters, esp. if you can't remember where her story left of, but that's at least intentional.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

There's a recap if anyone else wanted to jog their memory.

https://joeabercrombie.com/previously-in-the-age-of-madness/

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Joe Abercrombie - Ask Me Anything coming up soonish on 9-16-20.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Finished The Trouble with Peace. Very enjoyable.

I legitimately thought that one of the main characters was going to die at the end there, he stretches out the suspense but you can't really see a way that Leo isn't sentenced to death. But it makes sense, Orso was still feeling bad about having to sentence that open council member to death due to Isher's meddling, establishing that he would really rather stick with life sentences.
Bayaz seems much less like the mastermind he's been in previous books. The new generation doesn't respect him, his envoy is unable to stop the civil war despite being able to force choke opponents if they disagree, and he lets his bank branch in Valbeck burn twice.
The Weaver's identity is interesting but it seems a bit odd no one who heard the original man speak (before Risneau took up his name) mentioned his horribly burned face. That's kind of a distinguishing detail.

As with the first book, it provides a nice hook for the next one. Funny that some minor character like Salem Rews would turn out to be such a major player in this new trilogy.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Major spoilers ahead

Did anyone pick up parallels between Glokta and Leo? Both are popular war heroes that get horrifically maimed as the result of a calvary charge. I was sort of thinking how similar it was when he just had the limp and cane and always complained about stairs, but then the end of the book happens. Curious to see what his role is next book.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Terminal autist posted:

Major spoilers ahead

Did anyone pick up parallels between Glokta and Leo? Both are popular war heroes that get horrifically maimed as the result of a calvary charge. I was sort of thinking how similar it was when he just had the limp and cane and always complained about stairs, but then the end of the book happens. Curious to see what his role is next book.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Leo ends up the new Arch Lector at the end of book 3, since Glokta retired and Pike is a traitor. Vick could also make Arch Lector. As much as it would be interesting for Pike and his people to fight Bayaz and actually extract changes, I don't think he'll manage it. Abercrombie likes his status quo with that wizard on top.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Ducking in avoiding spoilers to say that the Pacey-read audiobook is a real treat. It's been fun to recognize characters by their voices before they're formally introduced.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
Orso made a strong showing in this book. Moved way up my list of favorite Abercrombie characters, specifically the scenes with Jappo and dinner with Leo. Got some solid laughs out of me with how he uses casually getting hammered and/or high as a weapon to disarm people.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Between Orso and Jappo, the kids are alright :unsmith:

Except for Leo anyway

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Well, that was certainly something.

I can't loving wait for the next book.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Say one thing for joe, he definitely knows how to end a book

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Listening to the audiobook. The whole scene with Leo being ambushed by the two moms is just terrific.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Just over 2/3rds in and I hope to hell that Rikke is marching on Carleon.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Man what a ride.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I was cackling through the last chapters and cannot wait for the (hopefully) aptly named "Wisdom of Crowds".

One thing I hope is that Bayaz doesn't come out ENTIRELY on top this time around - as mentioned before, he does seem a good bit more removed from the events of this trilogy, and if he were to be the ultimate victor, that would almost feel like a retread of the themes of the first trilogy.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Just a big lmao at gunner broad having trouble with peas at the start

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

At the end,Sulphur mentions that Bayez is out west on an errand, so he's presumably off the board for a bit.

It's frustrating that Orso is so likeable as he's functionally committed to the wrong side of what's coming.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

So everything Leo did he was manipulated into doing by isher and his wife, but how much of what savine was doing was her being manipulated by ishri? It's pretty much confirmed that Zuri is actually ishri, khaluls agent in the north

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Do all Ghurkish women look alike to you?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

So everything Leo did he was manipulated into doing by isher and his wife, but how much of what savine was doing was her being manipulated by ishri? It's pretty much confirmed that Zuri is actually ishri, khaluls agent in the north

how is this “pretty much confirmed”

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm rather bummed out that the Weaver turned out to be Salem loving Rews. When I'm thinking of people with the juice to take on a Bayez concern, he's not at the top of my list. I guess we'll know more eventually, but if he's really starting at "bank bad" then he has no idea about what's really in play

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
Ishri is kinda a big deal, considering she might possibly be Khalul's senior eater after everyone he lost in the original trilogy. I think there's zero chance her big move is being a full time live in spy on Glokta's daughter.

Zuri and her brothers might be eaters but also I think it may be a little too obvious and I reckon Abercrombie can do better than that.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Maybe Khalul granted her the power to identify protagonists?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Zuri is a constant companion to Savine, there’s no way someone like that wouldn’t have noticed if she was unable to eat most foods (Eaters have to keep specific diets) plus I don’t think that’s the direction Abercrombie is going with the character. As another poster said, possible Zuri and her brothers are Eaters. Possible they’re agents for Khalul. It does seem like something is being planned for Zuri, but I hope that’s not it.

There’s a hint Tolomei is back in play too if you paid attention to what the red haired woman jokes about Bayaz.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ccs posted:

Zuri is a constant companion to Savine, there’s no way someone like that wouldn’t have noticed if she was unable to eat most foods (Eaters have to keep specific diets) plus I don’t think that’s the direction Abercrombie is going with the character. As another poster said, possible Zuri and her brothers are Eaters. Possible they’re agents for Khalul. It does seem like something is being planned for Zuri, but I hope that’s not it.

There’s a hint Tolomei is back in play too if you paid attention to what the red haired woman jokes about Bayaz.

Yeah, I caught that and filed it away. I can't remember the context of the conversation but it stood out a tad.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Regarding the breakers

I think between Rikke's visions about the makers tower and the apocalyptic tone and a couple of the breakers mentioning Euz something seems off. I think it would be a bit on the nose to have the worker uprising coopted by "nefarious forces" but who knows.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

After the battle, Zuri's dress is torn open, and she's wrapped in bandages underneath (it's noted that she's not bleeding, the blood on her is Savine's).

Re: Tolomei: As soon as that rival of Savine's (Seleste? Selene?) said the thing about Bayaz locking her in the House of the Maker I thought oh that's Tolomei, until later Judge made some reference to the House and Euz, and I thought oh that's Tolomei, then I realized I'm just seeing Tolomeis everywhere.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Well poo poo, y"all may be on to something.

A Little Hatred, Chapter 8 posted:

‘Lady Savine dan Glokta.’ A small man with curly hair and clothes that advertised both money and tasteful restraint. ‘I had been hoping to make your acquaintance.’

‘I believe you have the advantage of me.’

‘Certainly not in beauty.’ He was unremarkable, it was true, apart from his bright eyes. They were different colours, one blue, one green. ‘My name is Yoru Sulfur.’

It was rare indeed for Savine to hear a name she had not heard before, and it always made her curious. New names meant new opportunities, after all. ‘And what is your business, Master Sulfur?’

‘I am a member of the Order of Magi.’

Savine was not easily surprised, but she could not stop her brows lifting at that. Zuri usually shepherded the cranks away, but she seemed for once to be elsewhere. ‘A wizard at a meeting of investors and inventors? Are you scouting the enemy?’

Selest dan Heugen, who in TWP is the S-Tier debutante who makes the "they'd have to lock me in the House of the Maker" reference and has uncommon knowledge of Sabine and Orzo's fling also shows up in that chapter while Zuri's away:

quote:

‘Lady Savine?’ A woman, young, red-wigged, freckle-shouldered, with a way of peeking over her gaudy fan that was meant to be winsome but to Savine looked merely sly. ‘I am – forgive me – a tremendous admirer of yours.’

Savine had a whole queue of tremendous admirers, and no idea what gave this girl the right to jump it. ‘How charming.’

‘My name is Selest dan Heugen.’

‘Boras dan Heugen’s cousin?’ Self-important oaf that he was. It appeared to run in the family.

‘Only my second cousin,’ simpered Selest. ‘I fear I’m nothing but a tiny twig at the furthest reaches of the family tree.’

‘A prize bud just blooming, I am sure.’

Selest blushed in the manner of an innocent country girl out of her depth in the big city. It made Savine think of a bad actress in a bad play. ‘I knew you would be beautiful, but never dreamed you might be so kind. My father left me some money and I intend to invest it. Might I ask whether you have any advice?’

‘Buy things that go up in value,’ said Savine, turning away.

Edit three: welp, rereading Zuri's barbs about the the wide-ranging education she received from he scripture teacher and I'm 100% on board.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alright maybe that's where this is going. It would add something to the final volume since so far the only threat on the horizon is the Breakers. This puts some more supernatural clashes in the the works.

Something is going to happen with Zuri anyway because Savine is always remarking about how competent she is and how she would be lost without her. Joe's not going to set up something like that without either Zuri dying or betraying Savine before the end of this. Though her being an Eater would continue the unfortunate trend of every major Kantic character being a villain of some sort (aside from Ferro I guess, but she's part demon...)

Ccs fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 19, 2020