Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Anyone in this thread poo poo talking the 3080 is sandbagging so they can get one for themselves.

:haibrow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Can I trace rays on my 1080Ti and why the piss do I give a poo poo about the 3080's performance relative to a card that's been around for ages that I haven't already bought?

I mean I get YouTubers aren't our best and brightest but surely they appreciate that if you already have a 2080Ti and are considering upgrading to a 3080 you probably don't give a solitary gently caress about performance. Especially when they all close their videos with "don't upgrade unless you need to."

Like ok fella if I needed to upgrade why the gently caress would I give a poo poo about a 2080Ti that I don't have?

Theophany fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 16, 2020

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

TVGM posted:

A Thermaltake Core V1 buddy spotted?

SKTC Q2. I was so, so sad when they announced the fe card length at 5mm too long.

I'm toying with the idea of removing the front panel usb to free up some space, the case itself is 300mm long... It /should/ fit damnit.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

MarcusSA posted:

Which as I've said before its the game makers fault for not letting the user know what the gently caress this setting actually does in game. I don't really want to go watch a 45 min DF video on what every fuckin setting actually does.

That's a totally valid point and they really should give basic explanations (or maybe even more saliently, stop offering stupid rear end settings that do nothing at huge cost).

I usually just start playing the game, and every 5 minutes or so I'll tweak a setting or two, see how it runs and if it effects the graphics much, repeat for about 20-30 mins just playing the game as normal, and by the end of that time it's usually pretty clear what the worst offenders are.

There's also almost always threads about performance for any new demanding game within hours of that games release that go over the no-brainer things to change.

But yeah it's annoying, agreed. Still, I feel a small break-in process on a new game is worth it in exchange for often 20-40% better performance.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

shrike82 posted:

the luxury $1500 Ampere card is not going to hit 4K60 with RT and DLSS - i'd say yes that means Ampere can't handle RT

A weird take from a guy who literally said he didn't understand why anyone was targeting 4k@60 and insinuated we should all be playing at 1440p instead.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

or 1440p144 so :shrug:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Theophany posted:

Can I trace rays on my 1080Ti and why the piss do I give a poo poo about the 3080's performance relative to a card that's been around for ages that I haven't already bought?

I mean I get YouTubers aren't our best and brightest but surely they appreciate that if you already have a 2080Ti and are considering upgrading to a 3080 you probably don't give a solitary gently caress about performance. Especially when they all close their videos with "don't upgrade unless you need to."

Like ok fella if I needed to upgrade why the gently caress would I give a poo poo about a 2080Ti that I don't have?

I'm... not sure what you're mad at?

They're comparing new best to current best and saying it's 20-30% better for 1/3 the price or whatever?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Theophany posted:

I figure that comparing to the 1080Ti is because it was such a monster for so long, and a lot of people decided to forego the 20xx series if they already had a 1080Ti. Probably one of those things where it's just such a cultural touchstone of the last 3-4 years of reviewing.

As for the final blurb, probably just trying to offset any accusations of being a shill for whatever they're reviewing. I figure it's not a bad message to have overall - "Relax on the hype train, make a decision based on your actual use case" isn't exactly the message Jensen was pushing two weeks ago.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All the reviews focusing on comparing it to 2080 Ti are flawed. Yes it should be faster and it is by 25%, but the proper comparison is the 2080. Just because reviewers got them for free doesn’t change the fact that almost nobody bought a $1200 video card.

edit: apparently Steam survey says 2080 is 0.96% and 2080Ti is 0.91% so they basically had the same sales? :psyduck:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 16, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

or 1440p144 so :shrug:

You did see that with DLSS it can hit >60 at 4k Ultra, yes? PCGamer did RTX/DLSS runs and found the slowest game was Metro Exodus at 63FPS. Slap *sync on to cover up the 1% and 0.1% excursions below 60 and you're good to go.

It'll be a little lower for 1440p@144Hz, but, yeah, the 3080 can do RTX with DLSS 2.0 pretty well now.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

control doesn't hit 4K60 with RTX and DLSS

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shrike82 posted:

*with rtx on high

repiv posted:

in the case of control, the medium raytracing setting (reflections only) gives the vast majority of the visual benefit

the further improvements from high raytracing are far more subtle but a massive performance sink

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Anyone in this thread poo poo talking the 3080 is sandbagging so they can get one for themselves.

Not really...most people are poo poo-talking the pricing & forced scarcity angle which kind of go hand in hand (similar to 1000 series & bitcoin mining driving prices sky high). Sounds like they're trying to rake in some easy cash from early rush buyers who have more money than sense to offset the loss they'd take due to the pandemic & fewer people buying high-end equipment at the moment. Nobody living on unemployment, in a layoff/furlough, or with minimal savings is going to want to shell out almost $1000 for a video card when they've got more important things to consider.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

MarcusSA posted:

Which as I've said before its the game makers fault for not letting the user know what the gently caress this setting actually does in game. I don't really want to go watch a 45 min DF video on what every fuckin setting actually does.
That's console gamer talk there :clint:

I try the old guess what gives the best performance/visual quality for awhile and then I usually Google: game name optimized settings and get way more performance with some unintuitive stuff so yeah..

I know poorly coded perma early access game 7 days to die I got over 100 fps with one of those guides and I was lucky to get 60-80 with my own intuition. (I was shooting for 1440px141fps but 90-110 is close enough without looking awful)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oh poo poo they cancelled at least one of the Amazon MSI 3080 preorders.

Still have one MSI preorder left and 2x Zotac preorders left.

Oops ouch owie

I wonder if that means they just aren't getting that one at all for launch.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have a 1060 6gb, is this an upgrade? I just want to be able to play Flight Simulator and Civ 6. Can I have your 2080ti please.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Charles posted:

I have a 1060 6gb, is this an upgrade? I just want to be able to play Flight Simulator and Civ 6. Can I have your 2080ti please.

Anything can run civ 6. nothing can run fs

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

VorpalFish posted:

SKTC Q2. I was so, so sad when they announced the fe card length at 5mm too long.

I'm toying with the idea of removing the front panel usb to free up some space, the case itself is 300mm long... It /should/ fit damnit.
Did anyone measure the pcb yet? It looks considerably shorter, but anything longer than 265mm will hit my radiator.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

It can't do 4k@60 on MSFS, either. Does that mean the 3080 can't do 4k?

No. It just means one game decided to make some real performance-killing decisions.

With 4k, max settings, max RT, and DLSS on it got:

Metro Exodus: 63 FPS
SotTR: 69 FPS
Wolfenstein: 124 FPS
CoD: Warzone: 80FPS
Control: 72FPS

The Control data is per the Verge--but with RT + no DLSS it got 45 FPS, maybe that's what you saw?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Taima posted:

Oh poo poo they cancelled at least one of the Amazon MSI 3080 preorders.

Still have one MSI preorder left and 2x Zotac preorders left.

Oops ouch owie

I wonder if that means they just aren't getting that one at all for launch.

Same, just got the MSI Gaming X cancelled on me.

I suppose it likely means they won't have them at all tomorrow, but I was holding out hope they'd at least keep the order active for whenever they do get them.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Yeah FS2020 is a bad example for GPU gains, you will be constrained by the GPU if its a 1060/1070/etc. But on 2080 and above you enter the realm where MS put everything onto one core and you need a mythological 10GHz CPU to get good frames.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

3080 is a 4K60+ card and anyone saying it's not is delusional or have insanely unrealistic standards. Note sure how much these goalposts have moved in the last week.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Put another way, when is the last time a new video card release just let you run any game in existence at the time at arbitrarily high resolutions & frame-rates without ever compromising on a single setting?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

techpowerup had control 4k50ish with DLSS and RTX

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Put another way, when is the last time a new video card release just let you run any game in existence at the time at arbitrarily high resolutions & frame-rates without ever compromising on a single setting?

Geforce 256?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

sean10mm posted:

October 28, 2020

:ssh: this is Paul bait

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Sweclockers did notice a difference in CPU temps. Closed case with a Noctua aircooler on the cpu.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Geforce 256?

8800 GTX was a monster.

Shamed the 7950gx2 or even 7900s in sli.

God I’m happy we don’t have to mess around with SLI to get a high-resolution display to run well.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm going to lol when I get ready to pull the trigger at 8AM only to find out that they dropped the cards at midnight and they're all sold out.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

El_Molestadore posted:

Sweclockers did notice a difference in CPU temps. Closed case with a Noctua aircooler on the cpu.

The 3080 puts out drastically more heat in general than a 2080 Ti though, so I'm not sure if its's the cooler design or just the general dumping of more heat into the case that's going on there?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

sean10mm posted:

I'm... not sure what you're mad at?

They're comparing new best to current best and saying it's 20-30% better for 1/3 the price or whatever?

I don't have a 2080Ti because $1500 is a bit rich for my blood. Steam hardware surveys would suggest I'm not in the minority.

That makes the narrow relative comparisons difficult to properly interpret and unhelpful when it comes to a buying decision. I'd wager the vast majority are coming from 7, 9 and 10 series cards, not 20 series.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah 7950gx2 which didn't have a driver that actually used both GPUs. loving NVIDIA

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Theophany posted:

I don't have a 2080Ti because $1500 is a bit rich for my blood. Steam hardware surveys would suggest I'm not in the minority.

That makes the narrow relative comparisons difficult to properly interpret and unhelpful when it comes to a buying decision. I'd wager the vast majority are coming from 7, 9 and 10 series cards, not 20 series.

Most of the reviews I've seen have buttloads of charts and graphs comparing it to cards from 1080 on up?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

krysmopompas posted:

Did anyone measure the pcb yet? It looks considerably shorter, but anything longer than 265mm will hit my radiator.

I haven't seen measurements but I would be shocked if the fe pcb was much longer than 220. Tpu has pictures of it next to the cooler.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/4.html

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

sean10mm posted:

The 3080 puts out drastically more heat in general than a 2080 Ti though, so I'm not sure if its's the cooler design or just the general dumping of more heat into the case that's going on there?

I'd guess the latter but I guess we'll see tomorrow when the AIB reviews are out :)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What are thoughts on the 3070 now that reviews are out? Are we thinking 2080 performance?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gabriel S. posted:

What are thoughts on the 3070 now that reviews are out? Are we thinking 2080 performance?

2080 Ti is claimed by nvidia, and the 3080 has a big enough lead over the 2080 Ti that it seems very plausible.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Gabriel S. posted:

Probable 2080Ti performance, hovering around there maybe a little less.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

techpowerup had control 4k50ish with DLSS and RTX

techpowerup.com posted:

We used DirectX 12 mode with RTX and DLSS turned off.

They got 48 FPS that way. The Verge put RTX and DLSS on and got ~70 FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

DrDork posted:

They got 48 FPS that way. The Verge put RTX and DLSS on and got ~70 FPS.

wrong