Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Tonight! Vintage! Anne Hathaway! Killers! October 4th 2008! Regular repeat! RuPaul! Biebs! What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
When I saw the title cards for the vintage SNL, I noticed that the episode had not only Anne Hathaway, but Kristen Wiig, Amy Poehler, and Casey Wilson. Then it hit me... The Lawrence Welk Show!! The Meryl Sisters from the Finger Lakes!!

I still remember the first time I watched that bit. When Wiig turned around for her introduction, I about died laughing. When I saw her hands? I did die laughing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Looking for a sketch: Tom Green and Will Ferrell sing “Rock Around the Clock” and destroy a grandfather clock. Aired right before the non-wedding to Drew Barrymore.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That'll be tough, episodes in that error were infamous for being sliced down to 40 minutes for syndication on VH1 and Comedy Central. As well barely anything with non original music being put up on the internet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From what I can see that episode was capped in its entirety. I don’t have it, but anyone who downloaded old season packs could probably dig it out.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tonight’s Vintage is Her Majesty, Queen Latifah, with musical guest Ms. Dynamite, from March 8 2003. This episode has Dan Ackroyd reprising his Bob Dole impression, and it will remind you that Dean Edwards once existed on this show 😮 Also features a timely Live with Regis and Kelly parody, as Reege passed on to that great talk show in the sky today. You can find a nice rundown of the original live airing of the show at One SNL a Day.

And the regular repeat ain’t no slouch: John Mulaney with David Byrne.

In light of Ms. Dynamite’s performance of “Dy-na-mi-tee,” I present this, the superior “Dinamite”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRSz1Qj2lvE

pwn fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 26, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

My prediction for SNL S46: The show will move back to 8H, without an audience. But doing a traditional live show, audience or not, is not feasible. Set changes, costume changes, cue cards, all require people working in close proximity. As does the practice of doing a show in a week, getting a show done in 6 days is not possible while maintaining distance. Writers would have to just live on the 17th floor- like, actually live there, not figuratively. The show uses a shop in Brooklyn to make sets, there's too many moving parts to do it safely. But if they do it entirely or mostly on tape (perhaps with a live cold open, monologue, Weekend Update, and closing,) and do one show every other week to allow more time to prepare and film safely, they could keep the show going through the election, the fallout as we wait for the results of all the mail-in ballots and the president doing whatever horrific poo poo he's gonna be doing, the president refusing to leave...

Whether or not a vaccine is available before the end of the year, they're not going to schedule a live show at the last minute, so I'm expecting this to be more or less set in stone for the first half of the year (up through Christmas break.) The schedule may well look like this:

E01: September 26
--
E02: October 10
--
E03: October 24
--
E04: November 7
--
E05: November 21
--
E06: December 5
--
E07: December 19

Alternatively, they may decide to get shooting in early September and have two shows banked (minus topical humor to be done live the week-of,) and then keep that schedule up, one to three weeks off to shoot, two weeks on to air with a few live bits, which may look something like this:

E01: September 26
E02: October 3
--
--
--
E03: October 31 (Election Eve content)
E04: November 7 (post-Election content)
--
E06: November 21 (last show before Thanksgiving break)
--
--
E07: December 12
E08: December 19

If NYC lights up again, then the studio production would probably shut down and may or may not result in more Home shows.

Now, either one of these scenarios could be supplemented with prime time specials. NBC gave Lorne a set of 30-minute Weekend Update Thursday specials leading up to the elections of 2008 and 2012, as well as non-election-related specials in 2009. As the network is starving for content right now, and SNL is already several episodes "behind" due to last season ending early*, it seems a natural fit to fill some network time with election coverage. Especially if they go with Schedule A, where there wouldn't be a proper show on Election Eve.

*My basis for this is what happened in 2008. The WGA strike of 2007-08 reduced the show's scheduled 20-episode season to 12. The next two seasons not only had the Weekend Update specials, but also had 22 episodes instead of the then-standard 20, to make up for the lost shows of 2007-2008. The next two seasons would see 22 episodes each again, which added up to 8 shows, making up for the 07-08 loss. Starting in S38, every season until last year has had 21 episodes. So I believe that the possibility of next season being heavily backloaded with episodes is high. Expect a couple 3- or even 4-in-a-row runs after everyone's vaccinated and back to... well, not normal, but not whatever the gently caress life has been since March.

pwn fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 31, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oh hey no Vintage tonight, because skatey bois hitting puck with sticks returns tonight.

The third Home show, season finale with “host” Kristin Wiig and “musical guest” Boys II Men, is the regular time slot repeat.

(I use scare quotes because, despite Wiig acting as host and doing a monologue and BIIM performing a song, neither are credited in the opening, and the show’s official title is “Saturday Night Live at Home: 5/9/20.” So I don’t know if they’re “officially” marked down as host and musical guests. Like, if Wiig hosts three more times, will that third time be her Five Timer’s Club entry? Or will this be something that doesn’t count, like doing a spot on the 40th Anniversary Special? These are the unimportant questions no one wants answered)

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tonight: No Vintage, hockey, boooo. The only good thing about this dog vomit year was not having to see sports all the time and these fuckers just couldn’t let me have that one comfort, as NHL and NASCAR are filling most of the coming weeks. There’s only one Vintage currently scheduled, September 5.

Tonight’s regular repeat is Harry Styles.

It’s been a while since last I posted the repeat schedule, so here you go. Going from August 1 through to the presumed S46 premiere on September 26:

August 1: Saturday Night Live at Home 5/9/20 (Kristen Wiig / Boys II Men)
August 8: Daniel Craig / The Weeknd
August 15: Harry Styles
August 22: Adam Driver / Halsey
August 29: Jennifer Lopez / DaBaby
September 5: Saturday Night Live at Home 4/25/20 (No Host / Miley Cyrus)
September 12: Will Ferrell / King Princess
September 19: Eddie Murphy / Lizzo
September 26: :siren: SEASON PREMIERE :siren: probably

The Vintage slot is open and unscheduled for September 19 through Halloween, except for one week of Notre Dame on October 10 :supaburn: Hopefully those mark the start of Vintage S7.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I actually didn't follow up on whether they were releasing SNL episodes at all I'll be honest. Kind of had other things to worry about

Was this season worth watching at all? Keeping in mind I don't live in the US and will have to go to pains to find them

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Maybe it's just because it's been so long at this point (and everything that's happened in the world since) but I basically don't remember anything notable at all about last season's studio shows. I'm sure there were funny sketches but there isn't a single show that I remember as being an 'all time great' etc. Maybe just watch one of the at-home shows (last 3 of the season) for the novelty/weird factor?

Or, just this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g2wfiYmbgo

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

blunt posted:

Maybe it's just because it's been so long at this point (and everything that's happened in the world since) but I basically don't remember anything notable at all about last season's studio shows. I'm sure there were funny sketches but there isn't a single show that I remember as being an 'all time great' etc. Maybe just watch one of the at-home shows (last 3 of the season) for the novelty/weird factor?

Or, just this:

I straight up don't really remember anything after Eddie Murphy's episode. Was that last year or is it already like 3 years ago and just doesn't feel like it?

E: not joking, that's the only episode recently where I can be in the shower and some sketch will pop into my head and I'll just start giggling to myself.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

jojoinnit posted:

I straight up don't really remember anything after Eddie Murphy's episode. Was that last year or is it already like 3 years ago and just doesn't feel like it?

E: not joking, that's the only episode recently where I can be in the shower and some sketch will pop into my head and I'll just start giggling to myself.

That was the last EP of 2019, I think. The Xmas episode.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

blunt posted:

Or, just this:

The Pheobe Waller Bridge episode was pretty good. Especially the skit where her and Mikey Day are writing letters to each other during World War 2.

pwn
May 27, 2004

:q:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ALGL4Hm5g8

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

now that's how you do it

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Business. B-R-D-T-F-K-L-M-G-H-R-K-W-T-F-N-Y-L-K-P-Q-W-Q-R-T-D-F-P-L-M-K-Q-K-W-Q-Q-Q-Q-Q-Q-Q-Q-Q...Q-Q-Q-S-T-F-J-R-Q-M-T-S-D-T-Q-M-P-R-F-T-D-P-D-P-M-H-R-K-T-B-T-F. Business.

One of my favorites.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

tarlibone posted:

Business. B-R-D-T-F-K-L-M-G-H-R-K-W-T-F-N-Y-L-K-P-Q-W-Q-R-T-D-F-P-L-M-K-Q-K-W-Q-Q-Q-Q-Q-Q-Q-Q-Q...Q-Q-Q-S-T-F-J-R-Q-M-T-S-D-T-Q-M-P-R-F-T-D-P-D-P-M-H-R-K-T-B-T-F. Business.

One of my favorites.
THANK YOU. I was scrolling the comments for someone who actually wrote out the "word" and no one did it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

One of my favorites.

This made a synapse flicker, from the dusty memories of this forum's attic:

I love the links to files of Lazy Sunday and other assorted sketches. YouTube technically existed but the forums had their own ways of sharing videos.

Read thread here (gotta have Archives)

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

New York has gotten a handle on COVID pretty nicely. I think if they wanted to, they could do live shows with just the cast. It would be tough, but I bet Lorne is certainly going to try. I'm guessing that's why we haven't heard anything yet.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Last week, after the surprise death of Chadwick Boseman, SNL’s scheduled repeat of Jennifer Lopez and DaBaby was replaced with a repeat of the Woody Harrelson / Billie Eillish episode. No, it did not make sense. They added a little commemorative card after Weekend Update to Boseman. Why not run his episode from April 2018? Why the last minute change? We may never know.

However, this week, the scheduled No Host / Miley Cyrus Home show rerun is replaced with Chadwick Boseman / Cardi B, from April 7, 2018.

And there may be a Vintage tonight, too! Assuming hockey finishes on time, we will be treated to Maya Rudolph and Sleigh Bells from February 18, 2012. I think this would be the last official Vintage of season 6.

Finally, a nice interview with Kyle Mooney over at Collider. Amongst other things, he confirms that we will be getting studio shows again this Fall. From Screenrant:

quote:

When asked about the future of SNL, Mooney says that the cast will "try to do as close to the real thing" as possible. Although it's unclear what this entails, Mooney mentions that regular testing will be involved and hints at a full reunion with his fellow cast members.

Mooney also admits that he misses taping in the studio, stating that filming SNL episodes at home was "a cool change of pace" but that the experience was ultimately different than being in a studio. One thing he misses the most is being around other SNL cast members, which he emphasizes by saying that he's excited to be around "people who inspire [him] and inspire fun ideas." Mooney's statement is one that hits incredibly close to home; even if a return to Studio 8H will look different, SNL's incredibly talented cast is easily one of the best parts of the show. As such, seeing everyone together again will undoubtedly be a heartwarming moment for fans.

The full interview is worth a read, if you can keep the Collider page from constantly crashing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

SNL's incredibly talented cast is easily one of the best parts of the show.

ouch

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ego Nwodim promoted to repertory status. Not a surprise, but hey, it’s official.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1304102726876499969

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Look at the optimism that society will still exist in October!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

Ego Nwodim promoted to repertory status. Not a surprise, but hey, it’s official.

Glad to see that they didn't lego Ego.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

In extremely optimistic news: I entered the snl ticket lottery in August. I'll never win again, I'm sure, but I just have to hope that no one else signed up.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

ArtVandelay posted:

In extremely optimistic news: I entered the snl ticket lottery in August. I'll never win again, I'm sure, but I just have to hope that no one else signed up.

drat it! I forgot!!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Me too lol

I suppose I’ll post the (hopefully, for real this time) final repeat schedule for the remainder of the month.

9.12: Jennifer Lopez with DaBaby
9.19: Will Ferrell with King Princess
9.26: Eddie Murphy with Lizzo

And last week will not be the last Vintage of season six, as there is now one scheduled for 9.19, which may be joined in-progress if hockey runs over like it did last week.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1306307406905868288

Jim Carrey as Joe Biden is... a choice

(Whatever happened to having actual SNL cast members playing presidential candidates/presidents?)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1306307406905868288

Jim Carrey as Joe Biden is... a choice

(Whatever happened to having actual SNL cast members playing presidential candidates/presidents?)

The stunt casting addiction of the past few years seems to suggest that they're pretty fixated on making viral content, and don't have much confidence they can make stuff that's funny enough on its own to go viral.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that biden is gonna be real weird

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Given Carey’s politics and marketability, that seems like a very specific choice.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
It honestly almost feels like a political move because people will have a better vibe from Carey-Biden than the usual takes and the real guy. I'm making a lot of assumptions obviously, but it's based on his known politics. I'm interested to see where it goes.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Just let him play Fire Marshall Bill until he crack pings on live TV and they have to rush him off stage.

pwn
May 27, 2004

drat, prediction schedule blown out of the water.

But the fact that there are five consecutive shows strongly suggests that much of the show will be pre-recorded, so maybe I got that right

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Is Jason Sudeikis really that busy? His Biden is so good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I kind of liked Woody Harrelson's Biden too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:lol:

https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/status/1306312911921577988?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1306308013855211520

Having the biggest cast ever in a global pandemic is a choice.