Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Had a great run on customs with a couple friends. Saw a thiccboy run up the hill by checkpoint and tried to chase. He must have filled up on top tier loot and made his way to extract. We never saw him again but followed the trail of bodies including 4 level 40+ all chaded up, boss plus his guards. We got so much high end poo poo without having to fire a single shot it was nuts. So thank you mystery badass!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Famethrowa posted:

Hmm good point. I tend to stay away from flashlights to avoid giving away info, but that'd be a pretty good use of it.

Well obviously it's important to be turning it on & off depending on what you're doing. But the benefit of having a VERY clear view of everything in front of your barrel is a big advantage, not to mention the glare that your opponents will be looking at. I've been putting flashlights on every gun lately and having a ton of fun - definitely give it a shot.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
That glare is also the main focal point of "PLEASE SHOOT ME ASAP", so you'd better get the first shot off.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah it's really only useful in close quarters situations where you and your opponent(s) both know the other is there. But in those situations, it's really useful. Especially if you're doing this at night and the other guys made the mistake of wearing night vision.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Triple A posted:

That glare is also the main focal point of "PLEASE SHOOT ME ASAP", so you'd better get the first shot off.

This actually reminds me of a cool little trick Klean was talking about a while back. If you use alt+A or alt+D to shine your light around corners, if anyone is looking at you they'll only see the flashlight and glare - just like how it would look if you were actually standing there. Klean would work it into a sort of juke around the corner but I was more interested in using that technique to bait out a bunch of shots and throw them off before any sort of actual peek.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

The Clap posted:

This actually reminds me of a cool little trick Klean was talking about a while back. If you use alt+A or alt+D to shine your light around corners, if anyone is looking at you they'll only see the flashlight and glare - just like how it would look if you were actually standing there. Klean would work it into a sort of juke around the corner but I was more interested in using that technique to bait out a bunch of shots and throw them off before any sort of actual peek.

If you keep a switched on cheap rear end flashlight in your anus and drop it after some shots have been launced at you, it is the perfect bait

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've been struggling to do the Tough Guy quest for Jager. I was trying to do it long range with a Mosin, but I finally got frustrated and said gently caress it, took an AKM and hauled rear end straight into the middle of the lumberyard intending on killing anything I saw. I killed a scav, then saw somebody that might have been a PMC charging straight at me and dropped him. Right as he went down I thought to myself "never seen anyone wearing a parka like that before" and it turned out to be Shturman. Grabbed his poo poo and booked it, killing two more scavs on the way out, so not only did I finish Tough Guy but I also got my first scav boss kill.

This game has a way of making you feel low when you fail again and again and again and then just when you're near your limit it loving elevates you with something like that happening.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the best way to make money in-game now? Is it still getting graphics cards and mining bitcoins?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Gabriel S. posted:

What's the best way to make money in-game now? Is it still getting graphics cards and mining bitcoins?

taking gear from other players is the best way to make money.

passive money can be made with the bitcoin farm which is a good way to manage things.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

bitcoin farm-->craft empty fuel into magazine case-->craft magazine case into scav case->repeat

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

bitcoin farm-->craft empty fuel into magazine case-->craft magazine case into scav case->repeat

yeah this is pretty much my method right now too. I usually throw in some scav runs on Interchange to pick up fuel and the bits and pieces specifically for the mag & scav case crafts.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Gabriel S. posted:

You can get 4 player dog tags every 10 minutes in factory if you hustle, most of them are <10 unfortunately

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Lemon posted:

yeah this is pretty much my method right now too. I usually throw in some scav runs on Interchange to pick up fuel and the bits and pieces specifically for the mag & scav case crafts.

yeah exactly. if I can get metal scissors or bolts I'll hold onto them to avoid paying flea prices. even with that, though, it's still pretty profitable to craft scav since it's usually 700k-1 mill.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
With my adar I shot 43 shots into a player scav before we traded kills. I was using 556A1 and he did not have any apparent armor on.

Total hits: 13.

I was 10 feet away from him and I was not even firing as fast as I could. I don't know if it is hit detection or dsync bullshit but holy gently caress is that frustrating. Probably could have won if I quick reloaded, but I was so stunned he was not dead that I just hit R not thinking about it.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 22, 2020

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Every now and then I can shoot a naked scav in the head and the first shot doesn’t register (despite seeing blood spray), and the second shot registers, but *just* a little too long after hitting.

Most of my raids I don’t notice anything, but it makes me wonder how often I lose fights or they last longer because the first 2-3 shots don’t register.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

InevitableCheese posted:

Every now and then I can shoot a naked scav in the head and the first shot doesn’t register (despite seeing blood spray), and the second shot registers, but *just* a little too long after hitting.

Most of my raids I don’t notice anything, but it makes me wonder how often I lose fights or they last longer because the first 2-3 shots don’t register.

Nakita made a post on Reddit asking for videos of hit registration issues. They have received an influx of complaints about it recently.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Nakita made a post on Reddit asking for videos of hit registration issues. They have received an influx of complaints about it recently.

Thank God. I've had a couple shots recently that were dead on point blank that didn't count. I thought maybe they were weapon sway, but a group of pellets from 5 feet away should at least give me some damage notification on the death screen .

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I've been struggling to do the Tough Guy quest for Jager. I was trying to do it long range with a Mosin, but I finally got frustrated and said gently caress it, took an AKM and hauled rear end straight into the middle of the lumberyard intending on killing anything I saw. I killed a scav, then saw somebody that might have been a PMC charging straight at me and dropped him. Right as he went down I thought to myself "never seen anyone wearing a parka like that before" and it turned out to be Shturman. Grabbed his poo poo and booked it, killing two more scavs on the way out, so not only did I finish Tough Guy but I also got my first scav boss kill.

This game has a way of making you feel low when you fail again and again and again and then just when you're near your limit it loving elevates you with something like that happening.

Did you remember to loot his stash?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
A friend of mine claims that high pen ammo does less damage to targets with no armor. He doesn't have any real evidence of this but he's seen people without armor get shot a ton of times with 7N39 and survive. There were also some ammo types that were buggy recently, but I think they were doing more damage than expected not less.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

A friend of mine claims that high pen ammo does less damage to targets with no armor. He doesn't have any real evidence of this but he's seen people without armor get shot a ton of times with 7N39 and survive. There were also some ammo types that were buggy recently, but I think they were doing more damage than expected not less.

I mean, he aint entirely wrong. High pen ammo does less damage in general. The sweet spot is usually medium pen and medium damage.

https://tarkov-tools.com/ammo/5.45x39%20mm

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

I mean, he aint entirely wrong. High pen ammo does less damage in general. The sweet spot is usually medium pen and medium damage.

Yeah but he's saying it takes more shots to kill a completely unarmored target with high pen ammo than it does a target with any armor.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Lorem ipsum posted:

Selling the key is a much better bet imo. Higher average profit and you don't have to stand in the center of the worst spot on the map

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah but he's saying it takes more shots to kill a completely unarmored target with high pen ammo than it does a target with any armor.

I think there's some amount of variance on penetration and damage, but otherwise he's wrong lol

3 torso shots on Class 6 armor with Igolnik-->death
3 torso shots on unarmored torso with igolnik-->death

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

yep

the reason high pen/low damage like Igolnik can feel ineffectual (absent hit reg issues) vs people without armor is that the low damage means they can easily tank a few shots that go to the arms/stomach and you’ll get a high ttk, which feels bad vs other armor pen rounds like 9x39 or 7.62 where getting hit anywhere is Bad News

also makes it easy to come to erroneous conclusions if you run igolnik a few times and obliterate a hefty boy or two with good shot placement and then have scavs/undergeared players appear to shrug it off

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 22, 2020

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Lorem ipsum posted:

I sold the key for I think almost 300k cuz I didn't know where the stash was and didn't really give a gently caress, Woods can tongue my butthole. The labs keycard I accidentally sold for 70k because the game autoselected the goddamn key when I opened the flea market. I was trying to sell sugar and didn't pay close enough attention to what I had selected.

That kinda sucked but I'm not the sort to really rage at video games and I realized early on everything in this game is easy come easy go, there's always another one just around the corner.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

LGD posted:

yep

the reason high pen/low damage like Igolnik can feel ineffectual (absent hit reg issues) vs people without armor is that the low damage means they can easily tank a few shots that go to the arms/stomach and you’ll get a high ttk, which feels bad vs other armor pen rounds like 9x39 or 7.62 where getting hit anywhere is Bad News

also makes it easy to come to erroneous conclusions if you run igolnik a few times and obliterate a hefty boy or two with good shot placement and then have scavs/undergeared players appear to shrug it off

That makes a lot of sense. Like I said, he only had anecdotal evidence which scans with your explanation.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Famethrowa posted:

This chart is freaking phenomenal however 7N1 7.62x54R isn't a one tap to the chest.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Just bought the standard edition to give it a go, been watching a bunch of Youtube videos of the game, and it seems really cool. I've got lots of FPS experience, but not much in milsim style games. Are there many goon players in Australia?

It's downloading now, over the finest rural Australian internet, so I am as fresh as can be.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Woods can tongue my butthole

I mean yes, but also some of the most intense Tarkov for me has been going woods with just a rig, backpack and a PB or something. At night.

I think I had a run-in with my first FLIR-boy yesterday (I have no idea how he saw me otherwise) doing one of these, but luckily he was a really bad shot so I just ran off while the trees around me got shot to poo poo.

EDIT: Scavs in night raids have two modes, either they won't notice you until you basically run into them, or they'll hear/see you from 100 meters away and start hosing you down. Also, as far as I can tell, if you start shooting them with a supressed gun before they detect you, they'll just run around like a headless chicken until you've killed them.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 24, 2020

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

BurritoJustice posted:

Just bought the standard edition to give it a go, been watching a bunch of Youtube videos of the game, and it seems really cool. I've got lots of FPS experience, but not much in milsim style games. Are there many goon players in Australia?

It's downloading now, over the finest rural Australian internet, so I am as fresh as can be.

Do
Not
Play
Factory
First

Start on customs, type in tarkov helper in Google and use their maps. Map goes left to right or right to left for entrance and exits.

Things to try first, go into it with no armor, bank robber rig and no backpack, bring an SKS with 20 round in your pocket. Pay attention to your sound, if you haven't checked yet, make sure you have updated sound drivers because I didn't do this and when I upgraded my driver's it made all the difference. Use 7.62x39 PS ammo.

Tips:
loot everything to your guy and transfer it back. This gets you lots of experience.
-alt+right click equips items
-ctrl+left click transfers to back pack
-middle mouse button folds your stock
-r button rotates item on your cursor when held
-there's always another guy so sit tight and wait for them to make a move.
-walking through bushes and trees makes lots of noise which gives you away
-running makes a ton of noise from like miles away
-you'll die tons so that's why I'm telling you to put on a cheap gun only until you learn

Edit: I spent my first 10 hours dying over and over and over on the factory and it wasn't fun. Almost quit. Why? Because factory said normal difficulty instead of hard which was stupid.

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 24, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Don’t forget to use your scav every time it’s available. Scav runs are zero risk all reward, they let you learn the maps and get some loots without losing gear.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BurritoJustice posted:

Join the discord and play with people. Run through the maps in offline mode to learn the layout. Learn customs first because a lot of beginner quests are there. Do budget builds at the beginning and learn what items found in raid sell for major bucks on the flea market at level 10. Always scav run. It is free loot.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Let go of your attachment to earthly things. Can one ever really own a SV-98? Possessions are transitory, life is fleeting.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hocus Pocus posted:

Let go of your attachment to earthly things. Can one ever really own a SV-98? Possessions are transitory, life is fleeting.

I died on a scav run with a graphics card and a tetriz in my bag a couple days ago I have reached no gear fear nirvana

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Haven't played in like last two resets, but does this run bit better.had serious FPS drops in bigger maps last time I played.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

So I'm ready to jump into Tarkov but apparently battleye doesn't support windows insider builds (which I'm on), so I have to reinstall windows completely before I can play. That's frustrating

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

okku posted:

Haven't played in like last two resets, but does this run bit better.had serious FPS drops in bigger maps last time I played.
Tarkov has literally never run well. The only question is what's broken this patch.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ah gently caress, do I go BEAR or USEC?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

USEC means you can comms to enemies and they might understand you, BEAR means you can do the same in Russian. BEAR gets the stylish flannel earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BurritoJustice posted:

Do you want to be an invader(american death squad) or good guy(russian death squad)