Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SaturdayKnight posted:

I mean, Samsung seems to be able to poo poo out $200 tablets that have laminated displays so I’m not sure why Apple seems to be unable to (its to make the cheaper option have obvious flaws so you’ll just spend more money on the nicer one).

like that alone is enough to make me not bother (for personal use). i really hated how the non-laminated displays feel hollow, which was way more ignorable before i got a model with a laminated screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

~Coxy posted:

If anyone "upgrades" from an Air2 to an iPad8 I'd appreciate hearing whether you find the screen noticeably worse/different.

It's not laminated so it will be noticeably worse and will feel completely different. case closed

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wonder if it will be another three years before a mini update. It’d really benefit from the bezel shrinkage.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hatty posted:

I wonder if it will be another three years before a mini update. It’d really benefit from the bezel shrinkage.
Rumors have been tagging it for either late this year or early next for a while.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I guess I got lucky . i ordered the last year ipad on 9/2, it was supposed to be here already and still hadn't shipped. Saw an email about price change, went ?? and realized there was a new model. Kicked out delivery a few weeks but honestly the new one will probably be here before the other one with whatever's going on with their logistics.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

japtor posted:

Rumors have been tagging it for either late this year or early next for a while.

i kind of hopethink it'll be announced in october. it seems like such a long time to wait until the spring event (although who knows quite how manufacturing was stalled due to the pandemic). i tuned into the presentation about 5 minutes late but i don't recall them even mentioning the ipad mini literally once. the pros got a few mentions, but the mini was bizarrely absent for a pres that was in large part about how great their ipad lineup is.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mediaphage posted:

i kind of hopethink it'll be announced in october. it seems like such a long time to wait until the spring event (although who knows quite how manufacturing was stalled due to the pandemic). i tuned into the presentation about 5 minutes late but i don't recall them even mentioning the ipad mini literally once. the pros got a few mentions, but the mini was bizarrely absent for a pres that was in large part about how great their ipad lineup is.

I wonder how much internal conflict there’s been between, say, keeping the form factor the same for the sake of existing business/etc users and their peripherals, updating the form factor because it literally hasn’t changed since the Mini was introduced and there’s a lot they could improve, and forking the line into new/old the way the bigger iPads have been for years now, in order to meet both ends.

I kinda wish they’d just make a 7”-8” Mini version of each other line- like just add a 7” iPad Pro to the lineup, and a 7” Air, and a 7” iPad basic. Probably not nearly enough demand there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ok Comboomer posted:

I kinda wish they’d just make a 7”-8” Mini version of each other line- like just add a 7” iPad Pro to the lineup, and a 7” Air, and a 7” iPad basic. Probably not nearly enough demand there.

The mini appears to be their least popular model so I don't see that happening any time soon.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Looking to buy my first apple thing since an iPhone 2. I've been android, but the state of android tablets is uninspiring to me. Work gave me a pixel slate but I am swapping it back for a normal laptop and for personal use I did not like Android as a tablet OS enough.

Few questions:

1) How annoying is it going to be to have a split ecosystem between my Android phone and an iPad? I am basically all in on Google apps currently. Is there anything about iOS that is really going to be annoying?

2) Do any of you put temepered glass screen protectors on yours? What about durable cases?

3) Really looks like the new Air is going to be the best middle ground between higher end and not overkill. This is mainly going to be a comic reading, entertain the kid, browse the internet on the couch sort of device. Is the new Air just overkill and I should just go for the new standard iPad? The idea of the magic keyboard support on the air is nice but I don't see myself paying that much for one any time soon.

4) Space. Is 32 GB really too small? I guess media fills it up somewhat quick.

EDIT: 5) Applecare worth it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

1) Not bad. Google has iOS apps for everything, so you can just get the Gmail app for Gmail, etc. Once they update Gmail and Chrome you can set those as defaults.

2) I have never bothered with a screen protector and just use a slim silicone case, but I also don't have children.

3) The base would probably be fine for you, though I'd personally shell out for the Air if I could.

4) It's definitely too small.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

The mini appears to be their least popular model so I don't see that happening any time soon.

Well yeah, if they made it more appealing with range-matching updates it might sell better.

(I know it’s not as cut-and-dry as all that, but it’s frustrating to want to buy one but then see that it’s perpetually 1-4 generations behind. It’s stopped me from getting a Mini twice before, and in the most recent case it steered me toward an iPad 2018)

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

1) How annoying is it going to be to have a split ecosystem between my Android phone and an iPad? I am basically all in on Google apps currently. Is there anything about iOS that is really going to be annoying?

2) Do any of you put temepered glass screen protectors on yours? What about durable cases?

1 - I've always been on Android for my phone and the cross platform apps are usually "fine". Usually the same but will probably have iOS features or be more "native" there then on Android. Most annoying part is the iOS only app ecosystem is much better than Android so categories like productivity apps will be hindered if you need both Android and iOS access

2 - I've never bothered wit them. For cases if you are going for the Air you'll have to wait and see what is released

4 - I think the OS is like 6-8 GB and apps do add up. I went 256 with my 2018 iPad Pro and really glad I did. At a minimum I'd go for at least 64 GB but I like 256 because I don't really need to janitor storage at all

5 - I've never gotten it but my iPad doesn't go out with me too much

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

AdmiralViscen posted:

I don’t have a 12.9 but I’ve been using the Logitech Slim Folio for several generations and they are great

Thanks for the recommendation! I picked one up, and with a couple of days of use, it seems solid! Keyboard is quite nice for the size.

Seems like using the rear-facing camera would be a little awkward, and I wouldn’t call it “Slim” myself. But all around I think a better fit for me than Apple’s pricier options.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Looking to buy my first apple thing since an iPhone 2. I've been android, but the state of android tablets is uninspiring to me. Work gave me a pixel slate but I am swapping it back for a normal laptop and for personal use I did not like Android as a tablet OS enough.

Few questions:

3) Really looks like the new Air is going to be the best middle ground between higher end and not overkill. This is mainly going to be a comic reading, entertain the kid, browse the internet on the couch sort of device. Is the new Air just overkill and I should just go for the new standard iPad? The idea of the magic keyboard support on the air is nice but I don't see myself paying that much for one any time soon.

1) not that annoying, most service-based apps will at minimum push their services to both OSs equally well. You’ll easily get your gmail and your Drive on both using native or third party apps just fine. Doing MSOffice poo poo on iOS should work fine with your MSOffice poo poo on Windows/Android/etc. The google suite of apps works fine on iOS
and most google services also connect to Apple’s own/third party apps great too.

2) no, pls don’t do screen bullshit. The iPad screen is great as it is and plenty durable. Really. If you’re “screen protector” worried, just get AppleCare.

Cases are a different story and the pool is vast and deep. You can get cheap cases or pricey, rubber or leather, screen-covering or not screen-covering, keyboardy, lots of different sleeves, etc...

Personally I like keeping my iPad in a padded sleeve and using it naked, but I also don’t have kids. My previous Air was fine that way for ~5 years, my current 2018 has a tiny ding from when it slid onto the floor in its naked state, which was entirely my mistake. You can also get good skins, which are easy to apply and provide some degree of ding and scratch protection although they seem to have lost favor of late. Honestly, Apple does the product feel of the material and device so well that I hated having a permanent case or skin on it, but YMMV.

If I had my iPad in lab or something I’d probably keep it in a keyboard case of some sort/shell out for the magic keyboard.

3) Air might be overkill, but it honestly looks so good and so polished that I’d point you to it just because it’ll be that much better than the base iPad. If you can afford the extra $300 the new Air looks like a much better showing of what the iPad can offer. The base model is good but it’s an old design with lots of limitations and quirks. Using it with the Pencil 1 is way more reminiscent of Apple’s old mouse designs than the Pencil 2. If you get the Air, get a Pencil if you can.

4) Yeah, you’re gonna run out of storage wicked quick and it’s going to ruin your experience with the device. To me, it’s one of the major things that determines whether somebody ends up using their iPad like “a giant iPod Touch” or like “a mini computer”.

64gb minimum, 128 ideal. 4K video and poo poo takes up a lot of space. I got a 32gb Air back in like 2014 and I filled it up within the first year and a half, never put any movies on it, not really a ton of apps or games. Became a real pain to have to triage my storage and manage it constantly from then on out.

5) See my previous comment about kids. I’ve never gotten AppleCare on an iPad but I’ve never felt a real reason to. If you think you’ll be taking it in for a repair once or twice you might want it.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 16, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For years I’ve put a glass screen protector on, and a basic silicon case on the back, and then completely stopped worrying about it and just kind of tossed my iPad wherever.

I would not suggest buying an iPad with only 32GB.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
For reading, browsing, doing cloud-based doc stuff, and watching video, 32gb is fine. And if that's how you're using it, I'm not sure the new Air is worth $300 more, even with doubling the base storage to 64gb. There's nothing substantively different you can do on the Air that you can't on the base model, so get the base iPad, see if you actually like doing anything beyond tablet-y stuff on it, and upgrade later if that's the case.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Alright looks like I'll go with the new Air. Biggest downside for me isn't the cost it is the whole waiting for it to be available thing. Is it likely to sell out on preorder?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Few questions:

I know I'm super late to this but...

I have a Pixel 4 XL and an iPad 7th Generation 32GB.

1. It's not annoying to me, honestly. I don't really use the iPad for Google stuff but I do have Keep, Chrome, and Gmail that I use the most.

2. I don't have a screen protector on mine, I prefer a case that covers the screen. I use my iPad for art and I don't know if I'd like a screen protector.

2.5. As for a case, I have the Smart Cover from Apple and it's nice..but has zero protection. Apparently the Smart Case is low on protection too. I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WS6L2FZ/ before I got my Smart Cover and I like this better. It has much nicer protection AND can hold the Pencil.

3. I'm getting the 8th Gen iPad so I dunno if I can answer this question? I mean...I'd say go to a store, maybe Best Buy, and try out the iPads there. At least the BBY here in Nebraska lets me do that. The size difference between the standard and the Air wasn't that big last year. Despite the smaller bezels, I don't know if it'll be THAT big...it's mostly the internals that changed + Pencil 2 + Touch ID / Power Button.

4. Do not get 32GB. DO NOT GET 32GB. Seriously. I have a 32GB iPad and I've run out of storage many times now...and I've had it since June. Procreate, uses a lot, apparently. At least with how much I draw. 128GB is better so I'm switching to the 8th Gen iPad with 128GB storage.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 16, 2020

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think iPads have sold out quickly at preorder since the iPad 2

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah it's always easy to get an iPad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

14.0 should be available in EST now, no?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It hasn’t been released yet.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I just went to check, and apparently I never installed 13.7 on my iPad because it wants me to install that.

Is it going to make me install that before I get the option to install 14, or can I just wait for 14 to be released?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you can just skip 13.7, i skipped it for the final beta a week ago and went from 13.6 -> 14 no problem

e: oh I see what you mean, i believe the behavior of the software update panel will replace 13.7 with 14 when it's released and you force close/restart the preferences app. I'm like 90% sure that's what happens.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Does iOS 14 offer any improvements for mouse wheel scrolling?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Last Chance posted:

It hasn’t been released yet.

Oh my bad I thought I read 10PDT on the 16th. I’ll chill out some, thanks!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Now it's out !

The General
Mar 4, 2007

So far not impressed. It hosed with my widget panel on the homescreen, removed my shortcuts from it and is also trying to automatically display pictures in it.

Who wants their device to scour it's memory for pics and display them at random?

Edit: Batteries widget sucks now.

Edit 2: Seriously though, how the gently caress do I put my shortcuts back?

Edit 3: Found it. Press and hold, and hit the plus in the upper left. But looks worse than it did 20 minutes ago.

The General fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 16, 2020

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
4K YouTube no longer working on iPad or iPhone after this release, it’s been working since like 14 beta 1... I wonder why it was removed, and if it was Apple or Google that did it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If Safari on Big Sur on the Mac laptops is any indication, Google pulled it.

On MacRumors there's a thread about getting 8K playback on YouTube, for a brief time people were able to play 8K videos with Macs as far back as Late 2013 models, and we noticed that with Big Sur beta 5 / Safari 14 / first week of September it was Google that pulled the 8K resolution. We could still play 8K very stodgily if we used Chrome.. I believe they simply refused to serve up 8K / VP9 media to any Apple platforms.

We've got 4K YouTube playback on AppleTV with tvOS 14 though..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 17, 2020

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

AdmiralViscen posted:

Does iOS 14 offer any improvements for mouse wheel scrolling?

Yes, massively

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/birLrfD3RHY

Maxtech think a refurb 2018 Pro beats the new Air, at least on paper

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

yeah, although if the rumours are true, the new redesign (basically a mini version of the air) should be sliccccck

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Anyone notice much difference in terms of screen size between 6th and 7th gen iPad? I think I can go from the 6th to the new 8th for around $100 after sale/trade in, and for the slightly bigger display and new soc, figure maybe that's worth it. Dunno if there's really any other differences between them?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

mediaphage posted:

yeah, although if the rumours are true, the new redesign (basically a mini version of the air) should be sliccccck

That's news to me, I checked rumor sites a few times and it sounded like predictions for the line were incremental at best

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The General posted:

Who wants their device to scour it's memory for pics and display them at random?

Yeah, I turned that poo poo off toot-loving-sweet when it popped up a, while not exactly NSFW, adult-level fun picture of my fiancé from 10 years ago.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
oh thank loving god they fixed apple music to have a persistent bottom bar player like spotify instead of the terrible weird popup player

i have no idea why this was tied into an os release, but i guess i'll take it. maybe big sur is going to come with a desktop app that doesn't run like total, complete rear end? it's amazing to me how that thing runs worse than the web client does on my windows box

otoh i just tried to open the new "listen now" interface and got an endless loading spinner, and frankly i'm relieved to see that apple continues to be bad at creating software you listen to music in. there should be some constants in this ever-changing world

e: oh my god i forgot the new "music" widget is a completely useless recently played thing instead of being music controls on the home screen like i've wanted since i got this thing. i assume apple wants me to either:

* leave my ipad on locked all the time, making the widgets pointless
* carefully open the notification center every time i want to change my music
* yell at siri every time i want to pause (this is definitely what they think the normal way to do things is, isn't it)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 17, 2020

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Reminds me of this in the Verge review of the current model:

quote:

People who love the iPad mini really, really love the iPad mini.

It’s easy to forget that because Apple seemingly forgot that it made the iPad mini: the last update, the iPad mini 4, came in 2015, and it’s barely been mentioned since. Most people, both in and out of Apple, assumed the mini’s middle-size market position would eventually be snuffed out of existence by ever-larger phones and the repositioning of the iPad as a laptop replacement.

But people really love their iPad minis, and they just kept buying the iPad mini 4, even as the rest of the iOS lineup was updated and improved over time. Apple told me it was surprised to find that people were buying the mini primarily because of its size, not because of its price.
No clue how it sells relative to the other iPads, but if nothing else it at least has established a pricey niche for itself.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Well yeah, if they made it more appealing with range-matching updates it might sell better.

(I know it’s not as cut-and-dry as all that, but it’s frustrating to want to buy one but then see that it’s perpetually 1-4 generations behind. It’s stopped me from getting a Mini twice before, and in the most recent case it steered me toward an iPad 2018)
The last update was solid. Rather have had a small iPad Pro of course, but CPU and RAM were current for the first time since the second gen six years prior. They just hosed it for the 3rd (iPad mini 2, plus Touch ID!) and 4th, which was outdated when it came out, and went almost four years without an update.

Small White Dragon posted:

That's news to me, I checked rumor sites a few times and it sounded like predictions for the line were incremental at best
There's been some conflicting and/or shifting rumors. 7.9" model was mentioned back with some mini LED displays (along with a bunch of others), while a later rumor mentioned 8.5-9", along with a 10.8" iPad that was probably the iPad Air.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I can now poo poo post in cursive. Feels very fancy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm super psyched about the USB-C

I've been limping along using a Lenovo tablet with USB-C for about three years now, never wanted to shell out for the iPad pro just to get the correct charging cable (no, I'm not going to invest in lightning cable ecosystem in 2020)

Hopefully USB-C trickles down to the rest of their ipad line, soon. My mom has to cart around a separate cable to charge her iPad mini everywhere she goes

I'm guessing this is apple putting their toe in the water about finally killing off lightning

Anyways, looking forward to finally getting an iPad, Android tablets loving suck

Anybody know what ipx rating the new ipads will have? They make great boat navigation hardware